About the DALI Oberon 1C
Great sound — no speaker wires required
Great sound — no speaker wires required
DALI Oberon 1C speakers are self-amplified, and they receive audio signals wirelessly, so you have plenty of options on where to place them. Since they require no speaker wire, you can place the speakers anywhere within reach of an electrical outlet or power protection device and enjoy their good looks and great sound. There are two 50-watt amplifiers in each speaker that power the woofer and tweeter independently for a highly accurate and detailed soundstage.
DALI recommends — and we concur — placing these on a solid pair of speaker stands to bring out their best performance and reduce unwanted resonance. They have a wide dispersion pattern that helps deliver clear, focused sound, even if you're sitting off to the sides. For best results DALI recommends positioning the speakers straight ahead, rather than "toed in" at an angle.
Patented distortion-reducing technology
The iron pole piece of the Oberon 3's woofer magnet is capped with a patented SMC (soft magnetic compound) disk that minimizes the negative effects of the iron. This reduces mechanical distortion, and helps create a relaxed, uncolored midrange. You'll hear a surprising amount of detail, without fatiguing your ears.
Connecting to a hub
To hook up your audio sources, you'll need to add your choice of hubs (sold separately) —
Introduce yourself to Danish speaker mojo
DALI — Danish Audiophile Loudspeaker Industries — has been making high-end speakers since 1983. The Oberon C is their entry-level powered speaker line, but we think it offers great bang for your buck. Tight vinyl-dressed, high-density MDF cabinets, with internal bracing and acoustic damping material throughout, all but eliminate resonance. This helps the speaker "disappear," and the music come alive.
- 1-1/8" soft textile dome tweeter
- 5-1/4" wood fiber cone woofer
- patented SMC (soft magnetic compound) disk in woofer magnet reduces distortion
- receives wireless signal from sources connected to DALI Sound Hub or DALI Sound Hub Compact (not included)
- supports up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution
- efficient Class D amplification
- bi-amped design provides 50 watts apiece to woofer and tweeter (100 watts total)
- frequency response: 39-26,000 Hz (±3dB)
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear firing port for accurate, musical bass
- USB Type A input for service only
- removable grille
- remote included
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 6-3/8"W x 10-13/16"H x 9-1/4"D
- weight: 9.7 lbs. each
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # OBERON 1 C LGT OAK
What's in the box:
- 2 Powered bookshelf speakers
- Two 6.5' AC power cords
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Rubber feet
- 8 Rubber-bumpers
- 4 Clips
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the DALI Oberon 1C
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1.125|
|Tweeter Material||Weave Fabric|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Type||Wood Fiber|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||50|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||100|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||96 kHz|
|Control by app||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Wireless Connectivity: The DALI Sound Hub or Sound Hub Compact (both sold separately) is required to wirelessly transmit an audio signal to the OBERON 1C bookshelf powered speakers. The wireless connection between the DALI Sound Hub or Sound Hub Compact and the OBERON 1C power speakers is an extremely stable digital connection, made on either the 2.4 GHz or the 5.8 GHz band depending on location and quality of the connection.
- Available Sources: The DALI Sound Hub and Sound Hub Compact (sold separately) offer Bluetooth Audio Streaming (including aptx-HD), analog & digital audio inputs, as well as a HDMI ARC jack on the Sound Hub Compact.
- Uncompressed Audio (24-bit/96kHz): The proprietary 30-bit protocol transfers an uncompressed I2S audio signal in 24-bit/96kHz, utilizing the remaining bits to control volume, speaker ID and other control data. Because it works on a less trafficked band, and the protocol is specially designed for transporting an audio signal, the connection is highly stable introducing next to no packet loss.
- Low Latency (25 ms): The protocol uses forward error correction to remove the result of packet loss, should they occur. The high bandwidth low latency protocol functions as a point-to-multipoint connection. This allows for multiple speakers to connect to the same stereo signal. With latency below 25 ms, sync between video and audio from a movie or TV source is obtained well within conventionally acceptable limits.
- 30' Wireless Range: The robust nature of the DALI Sound Hub or Sound Hub Compact and the OBERON 1C wireless connection means they can be located as much as 30' apart without risk of connection failure or temporary signal interruptions. Because the wireless range of the hub and OBERON 1C is limited to 30', it is not intended for wireless multiroom audio distribution.
- The OBERON 1C powered speakers require the The DALI Sound Hub or Sound Hub Compact (both sold separately).
- There are no source inputs built-in the OBERON 1C powered speakers, themselves.
- To pair the OBERON 1C to a compatible wireless hub, simply press the Link & Connect button on the back of the speakers and compatible hub. You can connect up to five pairs of speakers to a single hub in a single room.
Claass-D Amplification: The OBERON 1C's power amplification comprises of two 50 Watt, closed-loop Class-D power amplifiers chosen specifically for their sound quality and dynamic ability. One amplifier powers the high frequency tweeter, while the other powers the bass/mid woofer for a 100 watts of total power that delivers full-range sound. The 100dB signal-to-noise ratio of the power amplifiers ensures that even the smallest detail in a quiet musical passage is reproduced with clarity and accuracy. Powering the amplifier is a custom designed, very low-noise switched mode supply that is able to dynamically share resources between the two amplifier channels in response to demand. The OBERON C Series also incorporates DSP based equalization and crossover filter to provide the perfect sound.
- Equalization: Equalization helps ensure that the speaker produces the appropriate, neutrally balanced overall response in the listening room. Not too bright or too bass heavy, and with the perfect midrange level. A specific custom DSP equalisation profile was developed for each OBERON C model in order to create a tonal balance that suits its cabinet size and likely installation environment. The equalization stage also analyses the incoming signal and, depending on its low frequency content and the speaker volume level, applies subtle dynamic profiling to ensure that the speaker's bass/mid drivers are not required to work outside their comfortable, low distortion limits.
- Crossover Filter: Following equalization, the crossover filter module divides the signal appropriately for the bass/mid and high frequency drivers through a pair of digital filters: a low-pass filter feeding the bass/mid driver and a high-pass filter feeding the high frequency driver. The filter slopes have a profile that combines a relatively slow roll-off with benign phase change through their pass-band regions.
Wide Dispersion: The DALI OBERON C Series makes it easy to integrate the loudspeakers into any room and designed to deliver great sound to a wide listening area, faithfully reproducing every detail in the audio signal wherever you sit or stand.. Both the driver materials and geometry applied in the OBERON C Series has been selected to achieve a wide dispersion pattern in the listening area. The same principles have been applied in the design of the crossover. Thus, you will experience a well-integrated sound, even when listening at a significant off-axis angle. This is important as you are rarely seated directly in front of your loudspeaker when listening to music. An added benefit is seriously reduced harmonic distortion and frequency distortion, as these will always be stronger in an on-axis response.
Note: The DALI OBERON C Series speakers are not designed to be toed-in.
Soft-Dome Tweeter: The brand new oversized 1.125" ultra-light, soft-dome tweeter has been developed specifically for the OBERON C Series to produce extended frequency response with wide dispersion and low coloration.. The oversized tweeter membrane is constructed from an ultra-light weight weave fabric. Compared to most soft dome tweeters in the market, the DALI dome material is less than half the weight at 0.060 mg per mm2. The DALI manufactured ultra-light weight soft dome tweeter is additionally optimized for a larger bandwidth in its lower frequency area. This ensures the optimal handover from the midrange woofer to the tweeter, creating a well balanced, unforced and very coherent upper midrange.
- Oversized Membrane: The large size of the membrane lets the tweeter generate higher sound pressure with less excursion, keeping the voice coil motion to a precise minimum.
- Ferro-Fluid Cooling: To further improve power handling, to reduce power compression, and to support linear excursion of the voice coil, the tweeter magnet system incorporates ferro-fluid cooling.
- Damping Material: Covering the entire top of the pole piece is soft felt damping. This damping material eliminates unwanted reflections that may occur from a traditional flat-surface pole piece, applied in simpler tweeter constructions
Wood Fiber Cone: The 5.25" woofer features DALI's signature wood-fiber cone for well-balanced midrange and bass frequency sound. The wood fiber cone is a blend of fine grain paper pulp, reinforced with wood fiber, which creates a stiff, light-weight and well-behaving structure. The stiff but lightweight construction is supported in a low-loss rubber surround. In combination with a low-loss surround and spider suspension, this cone reproduces the micro details in the signal - unfiltered and with high accuracy.
- 4-Layer Voice Coil: The voice coil is a 4-layer design, and while 4-layers is effective for high force factor, the higher moving mass traditionally presents a problem for the midrange response - impairing voice reproduction. DALI's solution for minimizing the mass was to employ a light weight, copper clad aluminum wire. Combining the high conductivity/weight ratio of aluminum (205% the value of copper), with the superior contact resistance properties and better mechanical strength of copper, the OBERON woofer gets a lightweight voice coil with high conductivity, capable of handling high peak signal levels.
- Patented SMC Disk: Most woofers are driven by iron magnets. But iron doesn't magnetize and demagnetize at the same speed, leading to audible distortion. DALI OBERON uses Soft Magnetic Compound (SMC), developed for their high-end speakers, to drastically reduce distortion. The woofer magnet motor's pole piece is capped with 10mm SMC (soft magnetic compound), resulting in an improved flux field and dramatically reduced mechanical distortion. The use of this patented SMC disk greatly reduces mechanical distortion, which lowers third order distortion. This allows for a longer listening pleasure, a relaxed midrange and a surprising amount of detail.
Bass Reflex MDF Cabinet: The DALI OBERON C Series speakers use a bass reflex cabinet design with a rear-firing bass port to ensure high efficiency, big bass response, and optimum integration within your room. The speaker cabinet is constructed from rigid MDF board and finished in a high-grade vinyl wrap. Acoustic damping is carefully applied, leaving the reverse side of the front baffle undamped in order to produce more precise bass from the rear-mounted bass port. On the front of the speaker cabinet is a newly designed, lightweight cloth grille with rounded edges that add a contemporary visual look to the speaker series.
Note: The DALI OBERON C Series is available in four finishes - Black Ash, White, Dark Walnut and Light Oak.
Mounting Options: The OBERON 1C powered speakers will fill your room with refined, expressive sound whether positioned on a bookshelf, stand, or wall-mounted. The included rubber feet help isolate the the speakers from the mounting surface and add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. The speakers feature an integrated keyhole slot on the back cabinet for wall-mounting and include rubber bumpers to properly position the speaker away from the back wall. They can be placed as little as 0.375" and as much as 19.6875" from the wall and still deliver powerful bass. The speakers should ideally be positioned, so that the height of the tweeter is approximately at ear height when seated in your favorite listening position.
Power Requirements: Each powered bookshelf speaker comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord and will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Note: The OBERON 1C is not battery powered.
Firmware Updates: DALI may occasionally release updated firmware for the OBERON C Series powered speakers which can be updated via the USB port on the rear-panel. Updated firmware may improve performance and reliability or introduce new features. Firmware updates will be made available for download from the DALI website and will be accompanied by full instructions on the update process.