About the Dali Opticon VOKAL MK2
Centered on the action
Centered on the action
DALI's Opticon VOKAL MK2 center channel speaker delivers articulate sound with especially clear, extended highs, thanks to its advanced hybrid tweeter design. You'll hear dialogue from your favorite movies and shows in smooth, glorious detail.
Hybrid tweeter and tuneful blend
The VOKAL features a dual tweeter array with a 1-1/8" soft-dome tweeter and custom-designed ribbon tweeter mounted on a cast aluminum faceplate. The dome handles from around 2,000-14,000 Hz, while the ribbon starts contributing at around 10,000 and extends on up to the highest of highs.
Mids and bass come courtesy of a 6-1/2" woofer made of a blend of fine-grain paper pulp reinforced with wood fibers. (DALI calls it a "2 + 1/2-way" design — the extra "half" is for the ribbon tweeter.)
Further rounding out the VOKAL's low end are dual front-firing ports, which let you place the speaker in enclosed furniture - although it works beautifully out in the open as well.
Patented distortion-reducing technology
The patented SMC (soft magnetic compound) woofer magnet pole pieces in DALI's Opticon line significantly reduce mechanical distortion, and help create a relaxed, uncolored midrange. You'll hear a surprising amount of detail, without fatiguing your ears.
Introduce yourself to Danish speaker mojo
DALI — Danish Audiophile Loudspeaker Industries — has been making high-end speakers since 1983. The Opticon is their most affordable made-in-Denmark line, and we think it offers great bang for your buck. Tight vinyl-dressed, high-density MDF cabinets, with internal bracing and acoustic damping material throughout, all but eliminate resonance. This helps the speaker "disappear," and the music come alive.
The Opticon VOKAL MK2 doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire. Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- hybrid tweeter:
- 1-1/8" ultra-light soft dome tweeter
- 1-3/4" x 11/16" ribbon tweeter
- 6-1/2" wood fiber cone woofer
- patented SMC (soft magnetic compound) woofer magnet significantly reduces distortion from mechanical loss
- bass reflex enclosure
- dual front-firing ports
- frequency response: 47-30,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- recommended power: 30-150 watts
- nominal impedance: 4 ohms
- 2 + 1/2-way speaker with crossovers at 2,400/14,000 Hz
- MDF cabinet with Satin Black vinyl finish
- black cloth grille
- high-quality binding-posts accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) or single banana plugs
- assembled by hand Denmark
- 17-1/8"W x 7-15/16"H x 12-5/16"D
- weight: 20.3 pounds (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # OPTICON VOKAL MK2 BLK
What's in the box:
Dali Opticon VOKAL MK2 owner's manual
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 6 Rubber bumpers
- Quick Start Guide
- Congratulations Card
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Dali Opticon VOKAL MK2
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.125|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6-1/2|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||47-30k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Hand-Assembled In Denmark: All elements of the DALI drivers and cabinets are designed, produced and manufactured in-house in Denmark. The building of the cabinet, mounting of the drivers, plus the final tests and approvals on each and every DALI OPTICON MK2 Series speaker is handled directly at their own assembly lines in their Danish factory. The OPTICON MK2 Series manufacturing process is designed to ensure that stereo pairs of speakers are built and tested sequentially by a single manufacturing technician, using components taken in the same order from the same batch. It's a process that helps ensure ultimate visual and acoustic pair matching.
Hybrid Tweeter Design: The OPTICON VOKAL MK2 center-channel loudspeaker employs a new hybrid tweeter design that marries the 1.125" soft-dome tweeter with a custom 0.6875" x 1.75" ribbon. Both are mounted on a cast aluminium faceplate which incorporates dispersion control detailing. The placement of the hybrid tweeter drivers is done firstly in order to position the high frequency drivers near typical seated ear height. Secondly to take advantage of the smoother low frequency room response that results from the bass driver.The new hybrid tweeter design offers the best of both worlds - the clarity, speed and dynamics of a dome tweeter, with the very high frequency detail and smooth finesse of a ribbon tweeter.
- 1.125" Soft-Dome Tweeter: The new unique light-weight 1.125" soft-dome tweeter offers significant advances over the tweeters used in previous models and series. The relatively small increase in diameter over the previous tweeter results in a significant increase in dome radiating area. This means lower distortion, higher power handling, and an ability to operate at lower frequencies. The use of the same 1.125" soft-dome tweeter across all OPTICON MK2 models results in consistency of tonal character and provides consistency of dispersion characteristics. The MK2 soft-dome tweeter enables crossover frequencies as low as 2kHz to be safely employed with no risk of distortion or power handling limitations.
- 0.6875" x 1.75" Ribbon Tweeter: The ribbon tweeter begins to contribute from 10kHz upwards; just as the response of the soft-dome element is beginning slowly to fall away and become more directional. The ribbon element both extends the system frequency response towards 30kHz and contributes to keep high frequency horizontal dispersion wider than would otherwise be the case.
6" Woofer: The 6" OPTICON Vokal MK2 woofer was designed with a consistent focus on the DALI audio principles of low-loss, low distortion and low coloration. The ideal driver plays only what the amplifier requires, with nothing added and nothing subtracted for the most natural sound reproduction.
- Wood Fiber Cone: Every component of the driver is carefully designed for its positive contribution towards ideal performance. The diaphragm is made from a mix of paper and wood fiber that ensures minimal break-up resonance and gives the diaphragm its distinctive DALI trademark color. It is terminated by rubber surrounds chosen for its soft and very flexible mechanical properties that enable free movement with minimal low frequency damping. The driver chassis is manufactured in die-cast aluminum that provides extremely high rigidity and low resonance along with minimal extraneous influence on the internal magnet system. The mechanical design of the chassis is specifically engineered to provide minimal impedance to airflow while at the same time enabling extremely tight mechanical bonding with the speaker enclosure.
- SMC Technology:The OPTICON Vokal MK2 driver magnet system consists of a large ferrite ring magnet surrounding a pole piece manufactured entirely of the unique DALI SMC material. The pole piece and the ferrite magnet are secured between soft iron front and back plates to create the appropriate magnetic field for the voice-coil. DALI SMC (Soft Magnetic Compound) is a coated magnet granular material that can be formed to almost any desired shape and has many advantages used in driver magnet systems. SMC’s unusual combination of very high magnetic permeability and very low electrical conductivity is exactly what is required for driver magnet systems and results in a significant reduction of electro-acoustic distortion. SMC minimizes and reduces distortion, while improving linearity for a more natural sound that is unmasked and uncolored.
Twin Bass Reflex Ports: The OPTICON VOKAL MK2 employs twin, forward facing bass reflex slot ports configured to enable the system to be enclosed in furniture units and still produce great sound.
Custom Built MDF Cabinet: The enclosure of the OPTICON Vokal MK2 is designed to optimist rigidity and minimize panel resonance. The 25mm thick front-baffle provides massively rigid foundations for the drivers. The manufacturing of the OPTICON MK2 series has been retained firmly at the DALI factory in Denmark. Their in-house woodworking facility handles everything from cutting and routing the MDF panels to the driver and crossover installation. The final test and quality approval on each and every speaker is also handled on our own assembly lines.
Note: Available in a Satin Black, Tobacco Walnut, or Satin White finish.
High-Quality Binding Post Terminals: The DALI OPTICON Vokal MK2 center-channel speaker is outfitted with high-quality, heavy-duty binding-post terminals that provide a secure maximum grip on speaker cables, whether bare wire (up to 10AWG) or banana plugs (single only).
Mounting Options: The center speakers comes with self-adhesive rubber feet for safe placement on a flat tabletop surface; such as a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelf, or bookcase. The rubber feet add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker. The OPTICON Vokal MK2 should be centered below or above your TV. Idealy, it should be positioned so that the height of the tweeter is approximately at ear height when seated in your favorite listening position. The speaker can be placed directly against a wall or as much as 11.8125" from the wall and still deliver great sound.
Note: The OPTICON Vokal MK2 does not offer any keyhole slot, threaded insert, or bracket for wall-mounting the speaker.
DALI OPTICON MK2 Series: Combining a Danish design with both tried-and-tested and new speaker technologies, the DALI OPTICON MK2 Series delivers a striking sound that is dynamic and pure. The OPTICON MK2 Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (OPTICON 6 MK2 / OPTICON 8 MK2), two bookshelf loudspeakers (OPTICON 1 MK2 / OPTICON 2 MK2), a center-channel speaker (OPTICON VOKAL MK2), and LCR speaker (OPTICON LCR MK2) - all sold separately.