About the Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch
Expand the brilliance
Expand the brilliance
I have a couple Brilliant Smart Home Controls, and they come in so handy. I've wanted to smarten up more of my home's lighting, but I really don't need the full set of features offered by the main controller — screen, camera, built-in Alexa voice assistant — in every room. Brilliant's new Smart Dimmer Switch is a perfect solution that turns any wall-controlled light into smart lighting you operate by touch, mobile app, motion, or voice.
Convenient wall control
Just like the main controller, the Smart Dimmer Switch replaces a standard switch and makes the lights wired to that switch easily dimmable using the capacitive touch slider. If you want to quickly turn the lights on or off, simply tap once. You can also set select a "scene" — that triggers multiple lights, music, climate, and more — when you double tap anywhere on the switch.
Or go hands-free
The switch has a built-in motion sensor, so you can set it to turn on the lights when you enter the room and turn them off when motion is no longer sensed. Or, if you don't want to get up, you can simply ask your Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant device to turn on the lights. The timer feature will turn your lights on or off automatically at a certain time.
The Brilliant Dimmer Switch works with single-pole lights and in multi-way scenarios. When you install the switch in a three-way or multi-way circuit (where the lights are controlled by more than one switch), all the switches in the circuit must be Brilliant devices (either a Home Control or Dimmer Switch).
You can also use it to add smart on/off control to fans operated with a wall switch. It cannot control fan speed.
In order to use the Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch, you must have at least one Brilliant Smart Home Control (sold separately) already installed.
- turn any wall-controlled light into smart lighting you operate by touch, mobile app, motion, or voice
- you can replace one or more switches in a switch panel with Brilliant Smart Dimmers
- must be used in conjunction with a Brilliant Smart Home Control (sold separately)
- capacitive touch areas offer easy control of the lights wired to the switch:
- a single tap anywhere on the switch will turn your connected lights on or off
- double tap can be used to activate scenes
- slider can be used to dim and brighten compatible lights
- capacitive touch areas can be configured to control other compatible devices:
- compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa devices for voice control (sold separately)
- motion sensor lets you to set your lights to go on/off based on when people are in the room
- control lights from anywhere with free mobile app for iOS® or Android™
- fits in a standard Decora wall plate, but the wall plate is not included
- fits standard electrical box
- neutral and ground wire required
- automatic line and load switching
- rating: 120V AC
- wattage limits: up to 500W incandescent and halogen, up to 200W LED and CFL
- magnetic low voltage (MLV) lighting systems are not supported
- connects to other devices using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE Mesh)
- supports single-pole configuration
- will work in multi-way lighting scenarios (lights controlled by more than one switch) when all switches in the circuit are Brilliant Smart Dimmers or Brilliant Controls
- If you don't have experience working with residential electrical wiring, we recommend hiring a licensed electrician to install Brilliant
- 1-1/16"W x 4-1/16"H
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BHS120US-WH1
What's in the box:
- Brilliant light dimmer switch (White) with four attached 6" wire pigtails (red/black/white/green)
- Two 1" Mounting screws (attached)
- 5 Wire nuts (yellow)
- Quick Start Guide
- "Guided Installation" card
Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch
Overview: The Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch is a versatile lighting controller that installs in a wall switch panel. It works with both regular lights, smart lights, fans, and smart plugs, and allows you to control them through touch, voice, or your smartphone or tablet. The Smart Dimmer Switch also has motion detection to automatically turn lights on when you enter a room or turn it off when a room is unoccupied. It fits any Decor style wall plate (not included), and can replace one or multiple switches in a panel. The Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch is white in color.
Note: At least one Brilliant Control (sold separately) must be installed in order for the Smart Dimmer Switch to work.
Touch Control: The Smart Dimmer Switch has three touch functions:
- Touch Slider: The switch features a 7/16" wide capacitive touch slider that lets you vary the brightness of any dimmable light by sliding your finger up or down.
- Capactive Touch: Tapping the switch anywhere on the capacitive touch plate (surrounding the touch slider) will turn the lights on and off.
- Scene Control: Double tapping the capacitive touch plate will activate a scene that will set the mood using lighting, climate, music, etc. Brilliant Scenes require setup using the Brilliant app.
Voice Control: The Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch works with Alexa and Google Assistant to turn your lights on and off, and to activate Brilliant scenes using your voice.
Motion Control: The Smart Dimmer Switch has a built-in PIR (passive infrared) motion sensor that works within a range of 8 to 15 feet. Using the Brilliant app, you can program the switch to turn the light on or off when the motion sensor detects a presence in the room.
App Control: The Brilliant App lets you remotely control your Smart Dimmer Switch from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet. Lighting Scenes and Motion Control features can be set up and controlled within the app. You can also set timers to turn Smart Dimmer-controlled lights on or off at certain times of the day. The timers can be part of a daily routine or to simulate occupancy when you're away from home. Step-by-step installation instructions are available in the app. The Brilliant App is compatible with Apple iPhone and iPad with iOS 10.0 or later, and Android smartphones and tablets running version 5.0 and up.
LED Status Indicators: The switch has an LED indicator at the bottom to indicate the following conditions: White Blinking (powered on and ready to be set up), White Solid (set up complete and connected to your home), and Blue Blinking (error detected, reset required).
Fan Control: The Smart Dimmer Switch can only be used to turn ceiling fans on/off from the light switch. At this time, it cannot vary the speed of the fan.
Partners: The Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch works with smart light bulbs, smart outlets, and other products from Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, LIFX, and Wemo. The touch slider can also raise and lower the volume of your Brilliant-connected Sonos music system.
Wi-Fi and BLE Mesh: The Smart Dimmer Switch operates on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band (802.11a/b/g/n) with access to the Internet. The switch must be installed close enough to communicate with the Brilliant Control. The signals can "hop" from one Brilliant Switch or Plug to another until they reach the Control. Multi-way circuits using Brilliant devices communicate through Bluetooth Low Energy Mesh (BLE Mesh). The Brilliant devices receive regular firmware updates via Wi-Fi to keep your home's smart lighting up to date.
Installation: The Brilliant Smart Dimmer Switch can be installed in any standard 120V AC electrical box, and requires no special wiring (neutral and ground wires are required). You can use the switch to control single pole circuits, as well as circuits with multiple switches. All switches in 3-way or multi-way circuits must be Brilliant devices (home controllers or dimmer switches). It is compatible with dimmable incandescent and halogen bulbs up to 500 watts, and dimmable LED and CFL bulbs up to 200 watts. The switch fits inside of any Decora face plate, and will fit with other Decora-style switches in the same faceplate. Four 6" pigtails are connected to the switch: Red (load), Black (line), White (neutral), and Green (ground). The Smart Dimmer switch is UL listed and FCC certified.
Tools Needed: If you're installing the Smart Dimmer Switch yourself, you'll need the following tools: non-contact voltage detector, Phillips screwdriver, standard screwdriver, and pliers. Of course, you should always ensure the power is turned off before touching electrical wires.