About the Roku 3821R Streaming Stick 4K+
Stream movies, shows, and sports on your 4K/HDR TV
he compact Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ plugs into an HDMI input on your TV and delivers 4K content.
Stream movies, shows, and sports on your 4K/HDR TV
The first question we get when someone buys a new 4K TV is often, "now where do I find something to watch in 4K?" The Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ is a good place to start. This super-compact device serves up the largest selection of 4K and HDR streaming video services, movies, and shows available in one “stick.”
This version supports advanced HDR formats like HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision. So you can get the most out of visually striking shows and movies on Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video. Roku also includes their most advanced remote yet, complete with voice control.
Space-friendly design and easy setup
The streamlined Roku streaming stick 4K+ is one of the smallest streamers available, and it plugs right into your TV's HDMI port. Then it connects to your network wirelessly via Wi-Fi. You log on, type in your Wi-Fi password, and that's basically it — all the instructions are on-screen.
Rechargeable remote with voice search
Roku's remote communicates over Wi-Fi. That means this player can stay out of sight behind your TV screen, and you still have full control. After a one-time setup, you can either hit the "mic" button or say "OK, Roku," then have voice control over what you watch.
Pick your movies or shows and control playback — all by voice. The remote also has a 3.5mm headphone jack for connecting headphones. You can watch TV without disturbing others. I find that's a nice feature to have for late-night movies and watching west coast sports here in central Virginia.
Do "smart TV" owners need a Roku?
While most 4K TVs have some streaming services baked in, Roku offers the most complete list of 4K options I've seen. Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, Apple TV+ and Vudu are all available with 4K and HDR content.
Plus, there's a ridiculous amount of standard HD streaming channels – movie channels, news, kids, sports, you name it. I use my Roku to watch baseball games on MLB.TV and order UFC pay-per-views on ESPN+. I can't watch either on my Smart TV without the Roku.
Faster processing and stronger Wi-Fi
Roku included a more powerful dual-band Wi-Fi antenna, so you can get a stronger wireless signal and smoother streaming. That's especially helpful if your wireless router is further away from your TV setup. (Of course, I always recommend getting as close as you can.)
Remote app with personal listening mode
Roku's free mobile app lets you operate the player using your Apple® or Android™ device. You can setup your player, choose what you want to watch, and control pretty much everything from your phone. You can also connect headphones and hear TV sound.
- plays streaming video and music services to your TV and home audio setup
- plugs directly into an HDMI input on your TV
- compact, portable design fits neatly behind wall-mounted TVs
- quad-core processor for fast, smooth video streaming
- advanced Voice Remote Pro lets you search content and control playback by voice
- say "OK, Roku" to activate voice control after a one-time setup
Video and audio details:
- full 4K video resolution for use with Ultra HD TVs
- 4K video upscaling for 1080p and 720p content
- supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision formats
- Dolby® and DTS® sound pass-through
- supports Dolby Atmos (connected Dolby Atmos-enabled sound bar or receiver may require software update)
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream music, videos, and photos from iOS device (firmware update required)
Streaming video and music channels (some subscriptions or purchases required):
- 4K/ UHD video channels like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV+, HBO Max, and Vudu
- Peacock, Paramount+ (formally CBS All Access), SHOWTIME, STARZ, Telemundo, AMC+, and other movie/TV channels
- YouTube, Tubi, PBS, CW, ABC, and other free video channels
- Disney Now, Nick Jr, Noggin, PBS KIDS and other children's programming
- ESPN+, DAZN, B/R Live, NBC Sports, FOX Sports GO, and other sports channels
- MLB, NBA, WWE Network, and NHL streaming channels
- live streaming cable TV alternatives: Hulu+ Live TV and YouTube TV
- Spotify®, Pandora®, and other streaming music services
Enhanced remote features:
- rechargeable "Roku Voice Remote Pro" with voice search
- operates player via Wi-Fi direct so your player can stay out of sight behind your TV screen
- search by title, actor, or director via voice command
- connect headphones to remote for personal TV listening
- remote finder function sends out audible signal so you can locate it
- free downloadable Roku app (available from the App Store and Google Play) lets you control the player using your smart device
- search and choose video channels and control playback
- connect headphones to remote (or phone) and listen to TV audio without disturbing others
- "unbiased search" finds free or lowest-cost movies and TV shows across the top streaming channels
- "night mode" curbs louder noises for late-night viewing
- works with Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant (app required)
- built-in IR receiver for use with universal remote
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI 2.0b output
- connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input
- built-in 802.11ac dual-band MIMO Wi-Fi for fast video streaming and extended wireless range
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- 15/16"W x 3-5/8"H x 1/2"D
- weight: 0.9 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed internet connection
- MFR # 3821R
What's in the box:
- Network audio/video streamig stick
- Remote control
- USB/AC power adapter
- 56" microUSB-to-USB cable (with integrated WiFi receiver)
- 58" microUSB-to-USB cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Product Information
Roku 3821R Streaming Stick 4K+ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Roku 3821R Streaming Stick 4K+
Roku 4K Streaming Stick+: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) is a wireless network audio/video streaming device which gives you access to 500,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels. Setting up the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ requires a broadband internet connection; a wireless router; AC power; plus a HDTV, Ultra-HD, or 4K/HDR TV with an available HDMI input. There are no monthly equipment rental fees for owning the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+. You can rent, buy, subscribe or watch popular movies & TV shows, as well as tune into free channels.
- The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ can be used in combination with your cable subscription. You can use your cable subscription to stream what you love on-demand through apps like HBO, Showtime, Starz, WatchESPN, and more.
- You can also use the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ as an alternate to cable. Choose from a wide selection of free services, pay-as-you-go with monthly subscriptions to Netflix, Disney Plus, Vudu,, and more; or rent movies and shows from Amazon Video, Google Play, Apple TV, and more. Roku also offers live news, and popular cable-replacement packages like Sling TV, Hulu, and YouTube TV with live and on-demand programming from ESPN, HGTV, and dozens more channels.
Note: You will need to setup a Roku account to activate the wireless network streaming player and access entertainment across thousands of streaming channels. Adding a payment method to your account lets you easily rent/buy movies on demand or subscribe to popular services like Netflix, Amazon, etc..
Built-In Quad Cord Processor: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) employs a new and improved quad-core processor, you’ll enjoy channels that launch in a snap and a responsive interface. It's great for cutting cable and people who love to stream.
WiFi Network Connection: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) must be connected wirelessly to your home's WiFi network router and ISP (internet service provider). The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ offers 802.11ac MIMO dual-band WiFi that delivers responsive navigation, quick channel launching, and ultra-smooth streaming. You'll enjoy Roku's smoothest streaming experience yet, even in rooms further from your router, now with up to 50% more range. The Roku streaming player
- The unit's long-range WiFi receiver is built into the included 56" microUSB-to-USB power cable that plugs into the supplied USB/AC power adapter.
- Roku streaming devices perform well with most home broadband services (DSL or cable internet). Movies and TV shows streamed in higher picture quality formats like 4K or HDR require more bandwidth and therefore need higher internet speeds (up to 25 Mbps). Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for details about the available services in your area.
- Using a mobile hotspot is not recommended, considering they are generally not as reliable as home broadband.
- The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ does not offer a wired Ethernet network connection.
Note: Make sure the Roku 4K Streaming Stick is plugged into the included USB/AC power adapter using the supplied 56" microUSB-to-USB cable that features the built-in long-range WiFi receiver. The unit will not be able to connect to your WiFi router and network without this cable connected.
Entertainment Apps: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ lets you wirelessly stream blockbuster movies, TV shows, live TV, popular broadcast networks, niche channels. TV shows, live sports, news, and music. You have access to 500,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels, including Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, Pandora, PBS Kids, and more.
- 4K/HDR Content: Access 4K and HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Video, Apple TV, Disney Plus, Vudu, YouTube, FandangoNow, and more. There is also a 4K Spotlight channel that is installed. In addition to a list of channels that offer 4K content, the 4K Spotlight channel presents 4K movies and TV shows across multiple channels in different categories.
- More Movies & TV Shows: Enjoy movies & TV shows from , Google Play Movies & TV, HBO, Starz, ShowTime, and more. You can even watch live TV with Sling TV, Fubo, Hulu, and YouTube TV.
- Broadcast Networks: Catch up on your favorite programs from CBS All Access, ABC, NBC, The CW, PBS, FXNOW, FOX Now, A&E, AMC, History Channel, Lifetime, USA, HGTV, Travel Channel, and more.
- Internet Radio & Music: Listen to internet radio & online music through TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Tidal, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, and more.
- Kids & Family: Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, PBS Kids, and more.
- News & Weather: Get news updates from ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, NBC News, AOL On News, and more. Plus, get weather forecasts from The Weather Network and more.
- Sports & Fitness: Enjoy games, watch highlights, and catch up on scores through WatchESPN, MLB.TV, NBC Sports, NBA, NFL, Fox Sports GO, NHL, and more. Also get workouts from Daily Burn, Beachbody On Demand, All Fitness TV, and more.
- Click here for a list of all available content from Roku.
- Many of Roku's free channels are ad-supported, while other paid apps (like Netflix & Amazon Video) are commercial free.
- Not all content available from a streaming service that supports 4K HDR will appear in 4K HDR. Look for movies or TV shows that are marked with an HDR logo. 4K and HDR content is not available on all channels and may require additional fees.
HDMI 2.0b Output: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) is equipped with a HDMI 2.0b output connector with support for 720p HD, 1080p Full HD, 4K Ultra HD (UHD), and 4K HDR video resolution. The HDMI output connector cannot be set to output 480i, 480p, or 1080i. The HDMI 2.0b output connector also supports high-resolution multichannel audio transmission; including support for Dolby Digital & DTS.
- Ultra-HD 4K Compatible: The term "4K" (also known as 4K Ultra High Definition, 4K Ultra HD, or just 4K UHD) refers to the resolution of the TV, which is a measure of how much detail you can see on the screen. A traditional 1080p high definition TV has 1920 vertical columns and 1080 horizontal rows of pixels, while a 4K Ultra HD TV has a total resolution of 3,840 pixels by 2,160. With 4x the resolution of 1080p HD displays, 4K offers improvement in picture clarity over existing HD resolutions.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ supports HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision (up to 60fps). HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a technology that helps to expand the range of brightness, contrast, and color significantly. Bright parts of the image can get much brighter with better color accuracy, while dark parts of the image can get much darker improving the contrast. Overall, the image is more natural looking with a greater sense of depth.
- Dolby Digital & DTS Pass-Through: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ supports Dolby Digital & DTS pass-through (up to 5.1ch). It does not support pass-through of Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
Notes: Requirements for Ultra-HD 4K and HDR
- A compatible 4K HDR TV with an available HDMI 2.0 input that supports HDCP 2.2 (HDCP 2.2 is a copy and content protection standard for 4K Ultra HD content), plus a premium high speed HDMI cable.
- A compatible AV receiver with an available HDMI 2.0 input that supports Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound.
- A steady wireless internet connection with enough bandwidth to stream 4K and HDR (up to 25 Mbps might be needed).
- A streaming service like Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+, Vudu, or YouTube with a plan that supports streaming of 4K Ultra HD and/or HDR content.
TV & AVR Connectivity: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) can be connected directly to an HDTV or Ultra-HD 4K TV, as well as connected to an audio/video receiver.
- TV Compatibility: Compatible with HDTVs (up to 1080p with up-scaling from 720p); 4K UHD TVs (up to 2160p at 60fps with up-scaling from 720p and 1080p); and 4K UHD/HDR TVs (supports HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision) that feature an HDMI input. It is not compatible with standard definition TVs that only support 480i or 480p. Make sure to use a high-speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps or above for connection.
- AVR Compatibility: If you have an AVR (audio/video receiver) or home theater with HDMI connections for HD video and audio, you can connect your Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ directly to the AVR. In addition to HD 1080p video, the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ support 4K and HDR formats, so your AVR will need to support 4K or HDR as well to send higher picture quality to your compatible TV. 2-channel PCM and multi-channel audio signals (including Dolby Digital & DTS) are delivered via HDMI.
Note: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) is designed to work with only one TV and/or AVR at a time.
RF Remote: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) includes an RF remote for wireless operation of the network audio/video streamer. Because the remote is RF (and not IR), you can point it anywhere and still control the TV; you don't have to aim it at the television. The remote offers push-button operation and a built-in microphone for hands-free or push-to-talk voice control.
- Voice Control: The remote features a built-in microphone which allows you to use your voice to control the Roku Streaming Stick+. Simply press the "Mic" button or say "Hey Roku to activate the voice control feature. You can then speak naturally into the built-in microphone using conversational phrases to find your favorite TV shows and movies from online providers and broadcast stations. You'll even be able to control your TV's power and volume functions with your voice (TV must support HDMI CEC). With push-to-talk voice control , hold the remote 2"-3" from your mouth. With hands-free voice control, the remote should be within 10'-12' of you.
- Shortcut Buttons: The remote also offers preset shortcut buttons for immediate access of Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Apple TV (these preset shortcut buttons are subject to change without notice). There are also two custom user shortcut buttons that can provide access to your favorite video or audio streaming services, as well as favorite playlist. You can also use the two custom user shortcut buttons to immediately search for your favorite actor, actress, or singer (artist).
- Rechargeable Battery: The remote is powered by a built-in rechargeable battery. The remote features a microUSB port and comes with a 58" microUSB-to-USB cable to connect to an external USB/AC power adapter (not included and sold separately). A full charge takes about 3 hours and lasts approximately 2 months under normal use.
- Remote Finder: If you lose the remote, simply say "Hey Roku, where's my remote?", and the remote will play a sound so you can find it. Press any button on the remote to stop the sound. The Remote Finder feature can also be triggered from the Roku Mobile app (for Apple iOS and Android).
Note: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) also features an IR receiver and is compatible with various universal remote controls (sold separately).
Roku Mobile App: Get the free Roku Mobile app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ & Android OS 5.0+) to turn your compatible smartphone or tablet into fully functional remote control for the Roku Premiere media streamer. To use the Roku mobile app, you must connect your Apple iOS or Android device to the same wireless network as the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+. The following features are available on the Roku Mobile app.
- Launch Apps & Follow Favorites: You'll be able to launch your favorite channels directly from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even follow your favorite movies, shows, and actors/directors using the "My Feed" feature of the Roku Mobile app.
- Voice & Touchscreen Control: Using the app and mic of your compatible mobile device, you can even use your voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, and directors. You can also use your mobile device's touchscreen keyboard to enter text on your Roku device.
- Private Listening Mode: Using the Private Listening mode, you'll be able to listen to audio from streaming movies or shows through a set of headphones connected to your Apple iOS or Android device. When Private Listening mode is active, you will not hear audio from your TV speakers.
- Device-to-TV Casting: You can cast your personal stored videos (MP4/MOV/M4V), photos (JPG/PNG), and music (MP3/M4A) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ and your connected TV using the Roku Mobile app. Only video and photos taken with your mobile device are supported.
Optional Digital Voice Assistants: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) can be integrated and controlled with an external Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (such as an Amazon Echo or Google Home smart speaker - sold separately). You'll need to download the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ /Android OS 6.0+ / Fire OS) or Google Home app for (Apple iOS 14.0+ / Android OS 6.0+) onto your compatible mobile device. Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant can be used to help find content and manage playback on the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R). You can ask Alexa or Google Assistant to find movies and TV shows, Play/Pause and Fast Forward/Rewind content, launch channels, and more.
- Amazon Alexa Skills: Examples of how you can use Alexa to control media playback on Roku - "Alexa, pause Roku"; "Alexa, launch Amazon Prime Video on Roku"; "Alexa, find documentaries on Roku"; "Alexa, show me comedies on Roku"; or Alexa, pause/fast-forward/rewind on Roku". Click here for a list of Amazon Alexa skills. Click here for setup instructions.
- Google Assistant Skills: Examples of how you can use Google Assistant to control media playback on Roku - "Hey Google, pause on Roku"; "Hey Google, launch Hulu on living Roku"; "Hey Google, go home on Roku" "Hey Google; find documentaries on Roku"; "Hey Google, show me comedies on Roku"; or "Hey Google, pause/fast-forward/rewind on Roku". Click here for a list of Google Assistant skills. Click here for setup instructions.
- Make sure the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) is running Roku OS 8.1 or higher.
- The Roku skill for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant does not support all Roku voice capabilities.
- Using your voice to launch Netflix or access Netflix content is not currently supported when using the Roku skill for Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Launching a channel on your Roku device using an Alexa or Google Assistant voice command works for more than 100 top channels on the Roku platform. However, the launch channel command does not work with all channels on the Roku platform at this time.
Content Search & Recommendations: You can search across the top 100 channels to find where movies and shows are available for free, or see unbiased results ranked by price across top channels. Search by title, actor, or director using the included IR remote & on-screen menu or the Roku Mobile app for Apple iOS & Android OS. You'll also get weekly recommendations of the latest and greatest channels, movies, TV shows, games, and more.
Private & Night Listening Modes: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) offers a Night Listening mode and private listening through a set of headphones.
- Night Listening Mode: Movies and TV shows can have a wide range of sounds. Night Listening mode is an audio feature of Roku that allows you to watch movies and TV shows without disturbing others nearby. When Night Listening mode is enabled, the volume of soft sounds like whispering is increased while the volume of loud sounds like explosions is decreased.
- Headphone Jack: There is a 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack on the included RF remote control for connection of a set of wired headphones (not included and sold separately), so you can privately listen to your movie or TV show. When private listening is engaged, the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ does not send audio to your TV speakers.
Apple AirPlay 2: Apple AirPlay 2lets you stream, control, and share content from your Apple iPhone and iPad device (iOS 12.3+) or Mac computer (macOS 10.14.5+) to the Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R). You can watch movies, TV shows, and family videos, listen to popular music, or browse vacation photos. You can even mirror exactly what you see on your Apple device, all while enjoying the big-screen experience from the comfort of your couch. Apple HomeKit (sold separately) provides an easy and secure way for you to use Siri and the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to control your compatible Roku device. Or, you can use scenes to group your Roku device with other HomeKit-enabled devices to control an entire room at once.
Intuitive On-Screen Menu: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) offers an intuitive on-screen menu which is displayed on your HDMI connected TV. The on-screen menu is easily navigated using the included IR remote control.
USB/AC Power Adapter: The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ (3821R) requires connection to an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The Roku 4K Streaming Stick+ features a microUSB port, plus comes with a 56" microUSB-to-USB cable and USB/AC power adapter.
- Power Input: 5V / 1.5A
- Power Consumption: <3.5W (typical) when streaming 4K UHD video