About the Roku Ultra 4800R (2020 model)
Access to the most shows and movies — in full 4K and Dolby Vision
The compact Roku Ultra fits into your TV setup and serves up a ton of streaming 4K and HD channels.
Access to the most shows and movies — in full 4K and Dolby Vision
There are so many TV options out there that it's hard to keep up! And now even blockbuster movies are skipping theaters and going straight streaming services — so you want it all to look and sound its best. The Roku Ultra connects to your TV and serves up the largest selection of video content I've seen. That includes the most complete list of 4K and HDR options available in one streaming box. And the 2020 version is the first Roku player that supports content with the advanced HDR format Dolby Vision.
Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video all offer shows in Dolby Vision. Just be warned — ever since I connected a Roku to my LG OLED TV, I've become spoiled. Now I only want to watch visually-striking shows like The Mandalorian, The Boys, and Stranger Things in full 4K and HDR.
Faster processing and stronger Wi-Fi
This latest version of the Roku Ultra offers the company's fastest processing yet, so you should notice smoother performance and less waiting for content to load. They've included a more powerful dual-band Wi-Fi antenna, too, so you can get a stronger wireless signal. Especially helpful if your wireless router is further away from your TV setup. (Of course, I always recommend getting as close as you can — or better yet, making a wired connection via the Ethernet port.)
Customize the remote's "1" and "2" button to instantly pull up a favorite channel or playlist.
Do "smart TV" owners need a Roku?
While most 4K TVs have some streaming services baked in, Roku offers the most complete list of 4K options I've seen. Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Vudu are all available in 4K. New video services and AppleTV+ are also available with 4K and HDR content.
Plus there's a ridiculous amount of standard HD streaming channels – movie channels, news, kids, sports, you name it. I use my Roku to watch baseball games on MLB.TV and order UFC pay-per-views on ESPN+. I can't watch either on my Smart TV without the Roku.
"Point anywhere” remote with voice search
Roku's remote communicates over Wi-Fi. That means you can store this player out of sight and still have full control. Hit the "Mic" button on the remote, and just say what show or movie you're looking for.
Roku also includes a pair of earbuds that connect to the remote, so you can watch TV without disturbing others. I find that's a nice feature to have for late-night movies and west coast sports. I can hear dialogue or play-by-play clearly, and I'm not waking up any of my kids.
My Roku experience: It's not just for cord cutters
While I've dabbled in cord-cutting, I'm currently a cable subscriber. Still, I call the Roku I bought for my bedroom TV the best bang-for-my-buck purchase I've made in some time. It gives me on-demand shows from my cable channels like FX, HBO, AMC, and more. So I can watch Fargo or Better Call Saul on my own time — without having to rent another cable box.
Remote app with personal listening mode
Roku's free mobile app lets you operate the player using your Apple® or Android™ device. You can setup your player, choose what you want to watch, and control pretty much everything from your phone. You can also connect headphones and hear TV sound.
- plays streaming video and music services to your TV and home audio setup
- includes a pair of earbuds for personal TV listening
- connects to the remote or your smartphone
- quad-core processor for fast, smooth video streaming
- full 4K video resolution for use with Ultra HD TVs
- 4K video upscaling for 1080p and 720p content
- supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- supports HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision formats
- Dolby® and DTS® sound pass-through
- supports Dolby Atmos (connected Dolby Atmos-enabled sound bar or receiver may require software update)
- Apple AirPlay® 2 to stream music, videos, and photos from iOS device (firmware update required)
Streaming Video and Music Channels (some subscriptions or purchases required):
- 4K/ UHD video channels like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV+, HBO Max, and Vudu
- HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, AppleTV+, and more available with HDR
- Peacock, Paramount+ (formally CBS All Access), SHOWTIME, STARZ, Telemundo, AMC+, and other movie/TV channels
- YouTube, Tubi, PBS, CW, ABC, and other free video channels
- Disney Now, Nick Jr, Noggin, PBS KIDS and other children's programming
- ESPN+, DAZN, B/R Live, NBC Sports, FOX Sports GO, and other sports channels
- MLB, NBA, WWE Network, and NHL streaming channels
- live streaming cable TV alternatives
- SlingTV, Hulu+ Live TV, YouTubeTV
- Spotify®, Pandora®, and other streaming music services
Enhanced Remote Features:
- redesigned "point-anywhere" remote with voice search
- operates player via Wi-Fi direct so you can store player out of sight
- search by title, actor, or director via voice command
- connect headphones to remote for personal TV listening
- remote finder function sends out audible signal so you can locate your lost changer
- free downloadable Roku app (available from the App Store and Google Play) lets you control the player using your smart device
- search and choose video channels and control playback
- connect headphones to your phone and listen to TV audio without disturbing others
- "unbiased search" finds free or lowest-cost movies and TV shows across the top streaming channels
- "night mode" curbs louder noises for late-night viewing
- works with Alexa and Google Assistant (app required)
- built-in IR receiver for use with universal remote
Connections and General Info:
- 1 HDMI 2.0b output
- connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input
- built-in 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi for fast video streaming and extended wireless range
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- USB 3.0 port to play music, movies, and images from thumb drives
- microSD input (apps load faster with memory card inserted)
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- Ethernet port for wired internet connectivity
- 4-15/16"W x 1"H x 5"D
- weight: 5.9 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed internet connection
- MFR # 4800R
What's in the box:
- Network audio/video streaming player
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- In-ear headphones
- 3 Pair of eartips (S/M/L)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product Information
Roku Ultra 4800R (2020 model) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Roku Ultra 4800R (2020 model)
Roku Ultra: The Roku Ultra (4800R) is a wireless network audio/video streaming player which gives you access to 500,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels. Setting up the Roku Ultra requires a broadband internet connection, a wireless router, AC power, and a HDTV, Ultra-HD, or 4K/HDR TV with an available HDMI input. There are no monthly equipment rental fees for owning a Roku player. You can rent, buy, subscribe or watch popular movies & TV shows, as well as tune into free channels.
- The Roku Ultra can be used in combination with your cable subscription. You can use your cable subscription to stream what you love on-demand through apps like HBO, Showtime, Starz, WatchESPN, and more.
- You can also use the Roku Ultra as an alternate to cable. Choose from a wide selection of free services, pay-as-you-go with monthly subscriptions to Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, and more; or rent movies and shows from Amazon Video, Google Play, Apple TV, and more. Roku also offers live news, and popular cable-replacement packages like Sling TV with live and on-demand programming from ESPN, HGTV, and dozens more channels.
Note: You will need to setup a Roku account to activate the wireless network streaming player and access entertainment across thousands of streaming channels. Adding a payment method to your account lets you easily rent/buy movies on demand or subscribe to popular services like Netflix, Amazon, etc..
Built-In Quad Cord Processor: The Roku Ultra (4800R) is Roku's fastest and most powerful player to date.. Loaded with a new and improved quad-core processor, you’ll enjoy channels that launch in a snap and a responsive interface. It's great for cutting cable and people who love to stream.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Roku Ultra (4800R) offers a wired or wirless network connection. Built-in 802.11ac MIMO dual-band WiFi delivers responsive navigation, quick channel launching, and ultra-smooth streaming. You'll enjoy Roku's smoothest streaming experience yet, even in rooms further from your router, now with up to 50% more range.The 4800R is also equipped with a RJ-45 Ethernet (10/100) jack for a wired connection. The Roku streaming player must be connected to your home network and the internet provider.
- Roku streaming devices perform well with most home broadband services (DSL or cable internet). Movies and TV shows streamed in higher picture quality formats like 4K or HDR require more bandwidth and therefore need higher internet speeds (up to 25 Mbps). Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for details about the available services in your area.
- Using a mobile hotspot is not recommended, considering they are generally not as reliable as home broadband.
Entertainment Apps: The Roku Ultra lets you wirelessly stream blockbuster movies, TV shows, live TV, popular broadcast networks, niche channels. TV shows, live sports, news, and music. You have access to 500,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels, including Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, Pandora, PBS Kids, and more.
- 4K/HDR Content: Access 4K and HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Video, Apple TV, Disney Plus, Vudu, YouTube, FandangoNow, and more. There is also a 4K Spotlight channel that is installed. In addition to a list of channels that offer 4K content, the 4K Spotlight channel presents 4K movies and TV shows across multiple channels in different categories.
- More Movies & TV Shows: Enjoy movies & TV shows from Hulu, Google Play Movies & TV, HBO, Starz, ShowTime, and more. You can even watch live TV with Sling TV
- Broadcast Networks: Catch up on your favorite programs from CBS All Access, ABC, NBC, The CW, PBS, FXNOW, FOX Now, A&E, AMC, History Channel, Lifetime, USA, HGTV, Travel Channel, and more.
- Internet Radio & Music: Listen to internet radio & online music through TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Tidal, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, and more.
- Kids & Family: Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, PBS Kids, and more.
- News & Weather: Get news updates from ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, NBC News, AOL On News, and more. Plus, get weather forecasts from The Weather Network and more.
- Sports & Fitness: Enjoy games, watch highlights, and catch up on scores through WatchESPN, MLB.TV, NBC Sports, NBA, NFL, Fox Sports GO, NHL, and more. Also get workouts from Daily Burn, Beachbody On Demand, All Fitness TV, and more.
- Click here for a list of all available content from Roku.
- Many of Roku's free channels are ad-supported, while other paid apps (like Netflix & Amazon Video) are commercial free.
- Not all content available from a streaming service that supports 4K HDR will appear in 4K HDR. Look for movies or TV shows that are marked with an HDR logo. 4K and HDR content is not available on all channels and may require additional fees.
HDMI 2.0b Output: The Roku Ultra (4800R) is equipped with a rear-panel HDMI 2.0b output with support for 720p HD, 1080p Full HD, 4K Ultra HD (UHD), and 4K HDR video resolution. The HDMI output cannot be set to output 480i, 480p, or 1080i. The HDMI 2.0b output also supports high-resolution mulitchannel audio transmission;, including support for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Atmos.
- Ultra-HD 4K Compatible: The term "4K" (also known as 4K Ultra High Definition, 4K Ultra HD, or just 4K UHD) refers to the resolution of the TV, which is a measure of how much detail you can see on the screen. A traditional 1080p high definition TV has 1,920 vertical columns and 1,080 horizontal rows of pixels, while a 4K Ultra HD TV has a total resolution of 3,840 pixels by 2,160. With 4x the resolution of 1080p HD displays, 4K offers improvement in picture clarity over existing HD resolutions.
- HDR (Dolby Vision + HDR10): The Roku Ultra supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a technology that helps to expand the range of brightness, contrast, and color significantly. Bright parts of the image can get much brighter with better color accuracy, while dark parts of the image can get much darker improving the contrast. Overall, the image is more natural looking with a greater sense of depth.
- Dolby Atmos: In addition to Dolby Digital and DTS, the Roku Ultra (4800R) offers supports for Dolby Atmos so it can output the Dolby Atmos immersive 3D surround format from select apps (such as Netflix, Disney+, and Vudu) to your HDMI connected AV receiver and home theater speaker system.
Notes: Requirements for Ultra-HD 4K, HDR, and Dolby Atmos.
- A compatible 4K HDR TV with an available HDMI 2.0 input that supports HDCP 2.2 (HDCP 2.2 is a copy and content protection standard for 4K Ultra HD content), plus a premium high speed HDMI cable.
- A compatible AV receiver with an available HDMI 2.0 input that supports Dolby Atmos surround sound.
- A steady wireless internet connection with enough bandwidth to stream 4K, HDR, and Dolyb Atmos (up to 25 Mbps might be needed).
- A streaming service like Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+, Vudu, or YouTube with a plan that supports streaming of 4K Ultra HD and/or HDR content.
- Currently Roku only supports Dolby Atmos via Netflix, Disney+, and Vudu.
TV & AVR Connectivity: The Roku Ultra (4800R) can be connected directly to an HDTV or Ultra-HD 4K TV, as well as connected to an audio/video receiver.
- TV Compatibility: Compatible with HDTVs (up to 1080p with up-scaling from 720p), 4K UHD TVs (up to 2160p at 60fps with up-scaling from 720p and 1080p), and 4K UHD/HDR TVs (supports HDR10 & Dolby Vision) that feature an HDMI input. It is not compatible with standard definition TVs that only support 480i or 480p. Make sure to use a high-speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps or above for connection.
- AVR Compatibility: If you have an AVR (audio/video receiver) or home theater with HDMI connections for HD video and audio, you can connect your Roku player directly to the AVR. In addition to HD 1080p video, the Roku player support 4K and HDR formats, so your AVR will need to support 4K or HDR as well to send higher picture quality to your compatible TV. 2-channel PCM and multi-channel audio signals (including Dolby Digital, DTS, & Dolby Atmos) are delivered via HDMI.
Note: The Roku streaming player is designed to work with only one TV and/or AVR at a time.
RF Remote: The Roku Ultra (4800R) includes an RF remote for wireless operation of the network audio/video streamer. Because the remote is RF (and not IR), you can point it anywhere and still control the TV; you don't have to aim it at the television. The remote offers push-button operation and a built-in microphone for voice control. The remote is powered by two "AA" batteries (included).
- Voice Control: The remote features a built-in microphone which allows you to use your voice to control the Roku Streaming Stick+. Simply press the "Mic" button and speak naturally into the built-in microphone using conversational phrases to find your favorite TV shows and movies from online providers and broadcast stations.
- Shortcut Buttons: The remote also offers preset shortcut buttons for immediate access of Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Sling (these preset shortcut buttons are subject to change without notice). There are also two custom user shortcut buttons that can provide access to your favorite video or audio streaming services, as well as favorite playlist. You can also use the two custom user shortcut buttons to immediately search for your favorite actor, actress, or singer (artist).
- Remote Finder: There is a Lost Remote Finder button on top of the Roku player which will help you find your lost remote. The remote will emit a sound to help you locate it. Press any button on the remote to stop the sound.
Note: The Roku Ultra (4800R) also features an IR receiver and is compatible with various universal remote controls (sold separately).
Roku Mobile App: Get the free Roku Mobile app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ & Android OS 5.0+) to turn your compatible smartphone or tablet into fully functional remote control for the Roku Premiere media streamer. To use the Roku mobile app, you must connect your Apple iOS or Android device to the same wireless network as the Roku player. The following features are available on the Roku Mobile app.
- Launch Apps & Follow Favorites: You'll be able to launch your favorite channels directly from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even follow your favorite movies, shows, and actors/directors using the "My Feed" feature of the Roku Mobile app.
- Voice & Touchscreen Control: Using the app and mic of your compatible mobile device, you can even use your voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, and directors. You can also use your mobile device's touchscreen keyboard to enter text on your Roku device.
- Private Listening Mode: Using the Private Listening mode, you'll be able to listen to audio from streaming movies or shows through a set of headphones connected to your Apple iOS or Android device. When Private Listening mode is active, you will not hear audio from your TV speakers.
- Device-to-TV Casting: You can cast your personal stored videos (MP4/MOV/M4V), photos (JPG/PNG), and music (MP3/M4A) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the Roku Ultra and your connected TV using the Roku Mobile app. Only video and photos taken with your mobile device are supported.
Optional Digital Voice Assistants: The Roku Ultra (4800R) can be integrated and controlled with an external Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (such as an Amazon Echo or Google Home smart speaker - sold separately). You'll need to download the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ /Android OS 4.4+ / Fire OS) or Google Home app for (Apple iOS 11.0+ / Android OS 5.0+) onto your compatible mobile device. Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant can be used to help find content and manage playback on the Roku Ultra (4800R). You can ask Alexa or Google Assistant to find movies and TV shows, Play/Pause and Fast Forward/Rewind content, launch channels, and more.
- Amazon Alexa Skills: Examples of how you can use Alexa to control media playback on Roku - "Alexa, pause Roku"; "Alexa, launch Amazon Prime Video on Roku"; "Alexa, find documentaries on Roku"; "Alexa, show me comedies on Roku"; or Alexa, pause/fast-forward/rewind on Roku". Click here for a list of Amazon Alexa skills. Click here for setup instructions.
- Google Assistant Skills: Examples of how you can use Google Assistant to control media playback on Roku - "Hey Google, pause on Roku"; "Hey Google, launch Hulu on living Roku"; "Hey Google, go home on Roku" "Hey Google; find documentaries on Roku"; "Hey Google, show me comedies on Roku"; or "Hey GoogleAlexa, pause/fast-forward/rewind on Roku". Click here for a list of Google Assistant skills. Click here for setup instructions.
- Make sure the Roku Ultra (4800R) is running Roku OS 8.1 or higher.
- The Roku skill for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant does not support all Roku voice capabilities.
- Using your voice to launch Netflix or access Netflix content is not currently supported when using the Roku skill for Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Launching a channel on your Roku device using an Alexa or Google Assistant voice command works for more than 100 top channels on the Roku platform. However, the launch channel command does not work with all channels on the Roku platform at this time.
Content Search & Recommendations: You can search across the top 100 channels to find where movies and shows are available for free, or see unbiased results ranked by price across top channels. Search by title, actor, or director using the included IR remote & on-screen menu or the Roku Mobile app for Apple iOS & Android OS. You'll also get weekly recommendations of the latest and greatest channels, movies, TV shows, games, and more.
Private & Night Listening Modes: The Roku Ultra (4800R) offers a Night Listening mode and private listening through a set of headphones.
- Night Listening Mode: Movies and TV shows can have a wide range of sounds. Night Listening mode is an audio feature of Roku that allows you to watch movies and TV shows without disturbing others nearby. When Night Listening mode is enabled, the volume of soft sounds like whispering is increased while the volume of loud sounds like explosions is decreased.
- Headphone Jack (In-Ear Headphones Included): There is a 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack on the included RF remote control for connection of the included in-ear headphones, so you can privately listen to your movie or TV show. When private listening is engaged, the Roku player does not send audio to your TV speakers. You can also connect your own set of headphones with a 3.5mm connector.
Apple AirPlay 2: Apple AirPlay 2lets you stream, control, and share content from your Apple iPhone and iPad device (iOS 12.3+) or Mac computer (macOS 10.14.5+) to the Roku Ultra (4800R). You can watch movies, TV shows, and family videos, listen to popular music, or browse vacation photos. You can even mirror exactly what you see on your Apple device, all while enjoying the big-screen experience from the comfort of your couch. Apple HomeKit (sold separately) provides an easy and secure way for you to use Siri and the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to control your compatible Roku device. Or, you can use scenes to group your Roku device with other HomeKit-enabled devices to control an entire room at once.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth and support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP), you can wirelessly stream audio from a Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the Roku Ultra (4800R) and your connected TV.
Note: The Roku Ultra (4800R) is a Bluetooth receiver and not a transmitter. You can stream Bluetooth content to the Roku Ultra (4800R), but you cannot transmit audio from the Roku Ultra (4800R) to headphones, speakers, or receiver.
USB-A 3.0 Port: The Roku Ultra (4800R) is equipped with a USB-A 3.0 port for local playback of movie, photo, and music files stored on a USB mass storage class device, like USB thumbdrive or HDD. Some HDD(s) will require an external AC power supply. Supported USB media formats include -
- Video: H.264/AVC (MKV, MP4, MOV); H.265/HEVC (MKV, MP4, MOV); VP9 (MKV)
- Audio: MP3, WMA, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, WAV (PCM)
- Photo: JPG, PNG, GIF (no-animated)
Note: The USB port is not compatible with Apple iOS or Android devices, USB hubs and card-readers, and Windows or Mac computers.
Intuitive On-Screen Menu: The Roku Ultra (4800R) offers an intuitive on-screen menu which is displayed on your HDMI connected TV. The on-screen menu is easily navigated using the included IR remote control.
AC Power Adapter: The Roku Ultra (4800R) comes with an external AC power adapter which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. Power consumption is 4.5W (typical) when streaming.
- Input: 100-240V~50-60Hz, 0.5A
- Output: 12V - 1.5A
The Roku Ultra 4800R (2020 model) replaces these items
- plays streaming video and music services to your TV and home audio setup
- full 4K video resolution and HDR (High Dynamic Range)
- includes a pair JBL earbuds for personal TV listening
3 questions already asked