About the Rotel RA-1592 MKII
A powerful, versatile integrated amplifier
A large, custom-made toroidal transformer inside Rotel's RA-1592 MkII delivers 200 watts per channel of clean power.
A powerful, versatile integrated amplifier
Rotel's RA-1592 MkII builds off of the legacy of its excellent predecessor, the RA-1592. It delivers a whopping 200 watts to drive one or two pairs of speakers. And the power is clean and robust, thanks in part to a custom-designed toroidal transformer. You get system-building versatility, too. There are plenty of inputs for connecting sources, and built-in Bluetooth for convenient music streaming. It's a solid centerpiece for an impressive Rotel sound system.
Here's what's different: The MkII features a premium Texas Instruments 32-bit/384kHz DAC that converts incoming digital signals to analog with precision and clarity. And it can now decode audiophile-quality MQA and MQA Studio files. Improvements to the power supply and amplifier gain stages further refine this model's already remarkable performance.
The RA-1592 MkII offers an array of analog and digital inputs. There are four analog RCA inputs on the back panel, including a phono stage for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge. And the balanced XLR input helps you get the best possible sound with a compatible source component, like Rotel's matching RCD-1572 CD player.
The integrated amp's premium digital-to-analog converter ensures clear, precise sound from all your digital sources. There are three optical and coaxial inputs apiece, plus a rear-panel USB Type-B port for connecting a PC (Note: On the MkII, this port is not compatible with DSD files). A USB Type-A port on the front panel that handles audio signals from an iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®.
And there are a wealth of control options, including an IR input, RS-232 port, and dual 12-volt trigger outputs. A proprietary 3.5mm Rotel Link input/output allows connected Rotel products to communicate with each other and be controlled via the Rotel app. An Ethernet port lets you connect the amplifier to your home network for software updates and integration with third-party control systems.
Rotel has been crafting high-performance gear for music and home theater enthusiasts since 1961. They focus on creating the best signal path possible, using premium capacitors, transistors, diode bridges, and custom toroidal power supplies to get the most from music and movie soundtracks. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of Rotel components including preamps, amplifiers, CD players, and home theater processors.
- 200 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.008% THD
- Class AB amplification with custom-designed toroidal transformer
- premium Texas Instruments 32-bit/384kHz digital to analog converter
- built-in Bluetooth® with high-quality aptX audio coding
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz (line inputs, ±0.5dB); 20-20,000 Hz (phono input, ±0.5dB); 10-90,000 Hz (digital inputs, ±2dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 103 dB (line); 80 dB (phono); 102 dB (digital)
- support for MQA and MQA Studio files
- Roon-ready (subscription required)
- detachable power cord
- remote control
- 4 unbalanced stereo RCA inputs
- dedicated phono input for turntables with moving magnet cartridges
- balanced stereo XLR input
- 3 optical digital inputs and 3 coaxial digital inputs (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- USB Type-B input for connecting a computer (PCM up to 32-bit/384kHz resolution)
- USB Type-A port on front panel handles audio signals from an iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®
- Rotel Link input/output
- allows connected Rotel products to communicate with each other and be controlled via the Rotel app
- 3.5mm IR input
- dual 3.5mm 12-volt trigger outputs
- Ethernet port connects the amp to your home network for software updates and integration with 3rd-party control systems
- RS-232 port for use with third-party control systems
- RCA preamp output
- dual mono RCA subwoofer outputs
- front panel 3.5mm headphone output
- A/B speaker outputs with binding posts
- amplifier protection circuitry guards against overcurrent, short-circuit and temperature to protect both the electronics and attached speakers
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 5-7/8"H x 16"D (3U rack spaces; rack ears available separately from the manufacturer)
- weight: 38.87 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ROT1020008
What's in the box:
Rotel RA-1592 MKII owner's manual
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- 58" AC power cord
- Remote control (RR-AX150)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 5' USB-B to USB-A cable
- 57" Ethernet cable
- Quick Installation Guide
- Warranty/Registration Card
- Important Safety Instructions
- Addendum For Roon Test
Rotel RA-1592 MKII reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Rotel RA-1592 MKII
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||200|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||350|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||103|
|DAC Bit Depth||32-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||384 kHz|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||4|
|Optical Digital Inputs||3|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||3|
|Home Theater Bypass||No|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Robust Class AB 2-Channel Amplifier: The RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier leverages the strengths of Rotel's award winning RA-1592 MKII preamplifier and RB-1582 MKII power amplifier in a sleek single chassis design. With a powerful 200 watt x 2 channel Class AB amplifier using performance audio grade components, the RA-1592 MKII can effortlessly drive large speaker systems. The impressive Rotel manufactured toroidal transformer is a key element in the power supply design which also includes custom slit-foil storage capacitors and a dual-monoblock topology. All of this helps to ensure the amplifier performance stands up to even the most complex music and real world playback conditions.
- The RA-1592 MKII's power output is rated at 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms with all channels driven. Rotel has chosen to specify the power output in this way because, in Rotel's experience, it gives the truest value of the receiver or amplifier's power capability.
- When comparing specifications for different amplifiers, you should be aware that power output is often specified in other ways, so you may not be comparing "apples-to-apples". For example, the power output may be quoted with only one channel or two channels driven (not all channels), giving a higher maximum figure.
- Be aware that the RA-1592 MKII is capable of high power levels, in excess of 200 watts respectively per channel. Make sure that your speakers can handle the power of the amplifier. If in doubt about your speakers, ask your Crutchfield advisor.
Balanced Design Concept: Balanced Design Concept is the essential Rotel design philosophy that revolves around three major areas - Parts selection, circuit topology, and critical evaluation. These aspects influence final sound quality significantly and illustrate the holistic Balanced Design Concept approach to Rotel's product development. Thanks to the Balanced Design Concept, Rotel components easily exceed the performance of many mass produced audio products that offer plenty of features but skimp on audio quality, and compare favorably to components that are many times the price. Rotel continues its pursuit of extraordinary audio performance, which elevates the home entertainment experience through their core values of sonic accuracy, reliability, and affordability.
- Parts Selection: Rotel engineers select premium capacitors which provide better performance across both power and frequency spectrums to produce a more accurate and musical reproduction of the audio signal. High quality power supply capacitors provide a more efficient transfer of energy with fast charging and discharge time to ensure the circuits have the reserve power when needed. At each stage of development, Rotel engineers listen to circuit prototypes and revise the design when they feel they can gain a sonic advantage by using a particular component from another manufacturer or by specifying tighter tolerances. Since Rotel is an independent manufacturer, they are free to source parts from highly respected suppliers around the world to fit their requirements.
- Circuit Topology: It’s not enough to simply use good parts. Where you put them is equally if not more important. That's why Rotel keeps their circuit paths as short as possible, so there's less chance that spurious emissions and unwanted leakages will corrupt delicate signal nuances. That's also why Rotel often uses more expensive "on-board" relay source switching, rather than routing a signal from a rear-panel input to a front-panel control. Rotel also relies heavily on something called Symmetrical Signal Trace design. This keeps each channel's signal path identical to the others to preserve the imaging and soundstage. Rotel also uses electrically superior "star" grounding techniques to improve performance because star grounding routes all ground connections to a single point to reduce potential loops that might introduce noise or produce hum. Further, Rotel's Class AB amplifiers don’t use output inductors because they decrease control and, consequently, sound quality.
- Critical Evaluation: Rotel's development team places a lot of importance on critical listening sessions before the final product is sent to market. Rotel electronic and acoustic engineers, both in the UK and Asia, have honed their aural acuity over the course of decades of collective experience to evaluate each stage of product development from working samples, through pre-production and, finally, to verify that final production is the same as the pre-production units. Some sessions evaluate different circuit elements: capacitors, resistors, and active devices such as transistors or operational amplifiers. Others focus on differences in circuit layouts or differences caused by power supply elements. Only after this tuning process is complete with sonic performance confirmed will the product be launched to the market.
Custom Designed Toroidal Transformer: As typical of Rotel amplifiers, the RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier draws on a high capacity power supply based on a Rotel custom designed and in-house manufactured oversized toroidal transformer. This low impedance power supply has ample power reserves, which enables the RA-1592 MKII to easily reproduce the most demanding audio signals. In addition to providing an abundance of voltage and current for all operating stages, the transformer's toroidal shape helps prevent stray radiation patterns from corrupting audio signals as they pass through adjacent circuit stages. Subsequent power supply segments built with tight-tolerance parts including T-Network capacitors provide the exact voltage and current requirements to ensure stress-free signal reproduction.
Symmetrical Circuit Traces: The integrated amplifier's printed circuit boards (PCB) are designed with Symmetrical Circuit Traces. This ensures that the precise timing of the music is maintained and faithfully recreated. The circuitry uses metal film resistors and polystyrene or polypropylene capacitors in important signal paths. All aspects of this design have been examined to ensure the most faithful music reproduction.
Texas Instruments (TI) 32-bit/384kHz DAC: In recognition of the predominance of digital sources available today, the RA-1592 MKII has a built-in state of the art 32-bit/384kHz Texas Instruments digital-to-analog converter (DAC). The onboard TI 32-bit/384kHz DAC has been optimized to retain your music's full dynamic with precisely tuned output filter circuits that deliver unprecedented acoustic detail, wide sound stage and exact positioning.
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to download and stream. MQA ensures the your will hear your favorite digital audio music soundtracks exactly the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio. Support for MQA requires USB Audio Class 2.0 via USB-B. USB Audio Class 2.0 requires installation of the Windows PC driver on the included USB thumbdrive. MAC computers do not require a driver to support PC-USB Audio Class 1.0 or 2.0.
Roon Tested: The RA-1592 MKII is certified as Roon Tested and compatible with software via the integrated amp's USB-B port when connected to a compatible Windows or Mac computer. Being Roon Tested means that Rotel and Roon have collaborated to ensure you have the best experience using Roon software and the RA-1592 MKII together, so you can just enjoy the music. For the best user experience it is suggested to use USB Audio Class 2.0 when using Roon. USB Audio Class 2.0 requires installation of the Windows PC driver on the included USB thumbdrive. MAC computers do not require a driver to support PC-USB Audio Class 1.0 or 2.0.
Protection Circuitry: The integrated amp has both thermal and over-current protection circuitry that protects the amplifier against damage in the event of extreme or faulty operating conditions. The protection circuits are independent of the audio signal and have no impact on sonic performance. Instead, the protection circuits monitor the temperature of the output devices and shut down the amplifier if temperatures exceed safe limits.
Note: In most cases, the protection circuitry activates because of a fault condition such as shorted speaker wires, or inadequate ventilation leading to an overheating condition. In very rare cases, highly reactive or extremely low impedance speaker loads could cause the protection circuit to engage.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII integrated amp can simply be tabletop mounted (no rack-mount hardware available).
- The RA-1592 MKII generates heat as part of its normal operation. The heat sinks and ventilation openings in the amplifier are designed to dissipate this heat. The ventilation slots in the top cover must be open. There should be at least 4" of clearance around the chassis, and reasonable airflow through the installation location, to prevent the amplifier from overheating.
- Make sure that the shelf or cabinet can support the weight of the amplifier. The amplifier should be installed in or on furniture designed specifically for audio components. Such furniture is designed to reduce or suppress vibration which can adversely affect sound quality. Ask your Crutchfield advisor for advice about component furniture.
Note: The RA-1592 MKII's heatsinks provide adequate cooling for most installations. However, when installing the amplifier in a confined space or near other heat-generating components, additional cooling may be desirable. See Accessories Tab for cooling fan options (sold separately).
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier is outfitted with a total of four line-level analog inputs; there is one balanced XLR stereo analog audio input and three unbalanced stereo RCA analog audio inputs. Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Note: You should choose only one method of analog connection from a source component to the RC-1592 integrated amplifier. Do not connect both the RCA and XLR outputs of a source component to the RA-1592 MKII at the same time.
MM Phono Input: There is one Phono input which supports the connection of a turntable with a MM (moving magnet) cartridge. There is also a ground terminal for the Phono input to prevent hum and noise.
Digital Audio Inputs: The RA-1592 MKII is equipped with a total of six digital audio inputs; including three optical (toslink) digital inputs and three coaxial (RCA) digital inputs. All four digital inputs will support 2ch stereo PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Note: The digital audio inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats.
USB-B Port: The rear-panel USB-B port allows connection to your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can playback your laptop or desktop music libraries through the RA-1592 MKII integrated amp. The RA-1592 MKII supports both USB Audio Class 1.0 and USB Audio Class 2.0 modes for playback of 2ch stereo PCM and MQA music files up to 32-bit/384kHz.
- USB Audio Class 1.0: USB Audio Class 1.0 supports playback of 2ch PCM audio up to 96kHz sampling rates (MQA not available). Windows PC and Mac do not require installation of a driver for USB Audio Class 1.0. The unit's factory default setting is USB Audio Class 1.0.
- USB Audio Class 2.0: USB Audio Class 2.0 supports playback of 2ch PCM and MQA audio up to 384kHz sampling rates. You will need to install a Windows USB Driver from Rotel's website onto your computer for a Windows PC connection. Mac computers will not require a a separate USB driver.
Note: You'll still control search and playback functions, as well as view song/artist/information from your your Windows PC or Mac computer (not the RA-1592 MKII).
Front-Panel USB-A Port: The front-panel USB-A port can be connected to an Apple iOS device with Lightning (including iPod touch, iPhone & iPad) connector for music playback through the integrated amplifier. You'll still control search and playback functions, as well as view song/artist/information from your Apple iOS device (not the RA-1592 MKII). The front-panel USB can also be used to charge your Apple iOS device and other smartphone or tablet devices; it is rated at 5V/2.1A.
Note: USB MSC (mass storage class) devices, such as USB thumbdrives and hard disk drives are not supported.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming w/ aptX: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream stored music libraries, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the Rotel RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier. In addition to Bluetooth's standard SBC codec, the RA-1592 MKII supports Apple's AAC codec and Qualcomm's aptX audio technology. aptX delivers "CD-quality" audio (16-bit/44.1kHz) wirelessly over Bluetooth. Android, Windows 10 and Mac OS all support aptX (Apple iOS does not not support aptX).
Note: You'll still control search and playback functions, as well as view song/artist/information from your Bluetooth enabled source device (not the RA-1592 MKII).
A & B Speaker Outputs: The integrated amplifier is outfitted two sets of speaker outputs (A & B) for connecting up to two pair of loudspeakers (a total of four speakers). The A & B speaker outputs consist of binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual).
- If only one set of speakers will be used at any given time, the speakers may have an impedance as low as 4 ohms.
- If there are times when both the A and B speakers will be used at the same time, all the speakers should have an impedance of 8 ohms or more.
Preouts: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier is equipped with a set of stereo RCA outputs and dual mono-sub outputs for connecting an external amplifier or powered sub(s).
- Stereo RCA: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII has a set of stereo preamp outputs that allows you to output an audio signal to another integrated amplifier or power amplifier which is used to drive more speakers. Changes to the volume, balance, and tone controls of the RA-1592 MKII will affect the signal to the preamp output.
- Dual Mono-Sub: There is also two mono-RCA sub outputs for connecting a powered subwoofer. These mono sub outputs are summed with both the left and right audio signal. They are parallel outputs (not discrete) allowing two powered subs to be connected to the RA-1592 MKII. The dual mono sub outputs are full-range, so you must have a powered subwoofer with its own built-in low-pass filter control.
Headphone Output: The front-panel headphone output allows you to connect a set of headphones for private listening. The headphone output consists of a 3.5mm (1/8") jack. Plugging in a set of headphones does not cut off the signal to the speakers. You'll need to manually turn off the speakers from the front-panel or remote control.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The detachable 58" AC power cord (IEC 2-prong) plugs into the back of the integrated amplifier and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Front-Panel Display & Controls: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII stereo integrated amplifier is equipped with a front-panel display and front-panel controls. The front-panel display shows the source selected, volume level, and tone settings. The display also provides access to the setup and configuration menu options of the amplifier. The front-panel display does not support song/artist/album information. Front-panel controls include Power, Source, Volume, Speakers A-B, and Menu.
IR Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation over the RA-1592 MKII stereo integrated amplifier. It can also operate a Rotel CD player (such as the RCD1592, sold separately).
Note: The play and search controls on the remote only operate a connected Rotel CD player. They do not support playback and search functions for USB-B, and Apple iOS, and Bluetooth devices.
Tone Controls: Bass & Treble circuits are bypassed at factory default to ensure the purest possible sound. You can choose to adjust the Bass & Treble to increase or decrease low and high frequency sounds. There is also a Balance control that adjust the left-to-right sound output of the connected speakers.
Direct-Path Bypass Mode: Analog signal paths feature a Direct-Path Bypass mode eliminating unnecessary circuits maintaining signal integrity and further eliminating unwanted noise and distortion drawing you even closer and immersing you in the music.
Rotel Link: The 3.5mm stereo minijack input/output (labeled "Rotel Link") can attach to Rotel network enabled products. This allows the attached Rotel products to communicate with each other and be controlled via the Rotel App (for Apple iOS 6.0+).
IR In: The IR input (3.5mm) receives command codes from industry-standard infrared receivers via a hard-wired connection. This feature is useful when the unit is installed in a cabinet and the front-panel sensor is blocked. Consult your your Crutchfield advisor for information on external IR repeater systems (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
12V Trigger Outputs: The RA-1592 MKII is equipped with two 12-volt trigger outputs (3.5mm) that can be connected to two different components with 12-volt trigger inputs, allowing the components to turn on automatically with the RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier.
RS232 Port: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII integrated amplifier can be controlled via RS232 for integration with automation systems. The RS232 input accepts a standard straight DB-9 Male-to-Female cable.
Ethernet Port: The rear-panel Ethernet (RJ45) jack on the back of the integrated amp allows IP control for integrated with automation systems. The Ethernet jack also allows software updates to be downloaded from the internet.
Auto Power Modes: The Rotel RA-1592 MKII integrated amp offers Auto Signal Sensing and Auto Standby for automatic on and off.
- Auto Signal Sensing: Thanks to Automatic Signal Sensing, the integrated turns on automatically when an audio signal is detected at one of its analog or digital inputs.
- Auto Standby: The RA-1592 MKII can be configured to automatically power off if unused for a specified period (1, 2, 5, or 12 hours). If there is no audio signal or no control within the specified time period, the unit will automatically go into standby mode.
The Rotel RA-1592 MKII replaces these items
- 200 watts x 2
- 5 unbalanced RCA audio inputs (including a phono input); balanced XLR input
- 7 digital audio inputs and built-in Bluetooth®
9 questions already asked
This is a wonderful Integrated amplifier. It has a clean open sound, with plenty of headroom for demanding speakers. Build quality is top notch, the onboard DAC is really nice and the built in phono sounds excellent. Heavy and feels like a solid well built product. Love it!
Simon from Opelika, AL