About the Rotel Diamond Series DT-6000
Built for remarkable resolution
Built for remarkable resolution
Rotel has proven themselves time and time again to be masters of their art by crafting some of the finest home audio components money can buy. Their engineering expertise lets them make awesome gear, and it also lets them offer that gear at a great price. The Diamond-series DT-6000 is the latest processing powerhouse in the company's audiophile portfolio.
This DAC and CD player combo sports a classic-yet-timeless appearance. Underneath all the eye candy is a top-of-the-line digital-to-analog converter chip, custom-made power supply, and precision-engineered CD tray that work together to provide exceptional depth and detail to your favorite tunes.
The ESS Saber ES9028PRO inside the DT-6000 is one of the most cutting-edge DAC chips available. Rotel tweaked the eight-channel DAC to split its processing evenly, with four processing channels being dedicated to the left output channel and the other four being dedicated to the right. Its balanced output uses differential circuitry to keep noise to an absolute minimum. The end result is beautifully nuanced and detailed sound.
Over-engineered power supplies for stellar performance
Rotel over-engineered each of the DT-6000's power supplies to keep its noise floor low. Every critical circuit gets its own dedicated power supply, and each circuit was tailor-made by Rotel for maximum performance. As if that wasn't already enough, there's also a shielded toroidal transformer that provides efficient, ripple-free current to each power supply.
A peek inside the DT-6000's chassis. The large toroidal power supply can be seen over on the left.
30 years of experience in one tray
The CD tray and transport are the culmination of Rotel's decades of crafting award-winning disc spinners. The tray's smooth in-and-out action is great, and once the disc starts spinning, that's where the magic really happens. Rotel designed the CD tray with a unique spring-floating mechanism and vibration-damping materials to reduce operational noise. It also has a precision laser motor and optical pickup for perfectly and accurately reading all your standard CDs
Inputs and outputs
The back panel of the DT-6000 has just about every connection one could need, no matter one's system. It has a coaxial digital and an optical digital input for hooking up digital sources, plus a Type-B USB port for hooking up your desktop or laptop. There's even an RS-232 port for external control from a compatible computer or device.
You're covered on outputs, too. There's a pair of unbalanced stereo RCAs and balanced stereo XLRs for tying the DT-6000 in with the rest of your system.
- combination DAC and CD player
CD player specs:
- plays audio CDs
- smooth action tray
- uses spring-floating CD mechanism and vibration damping materials for near-silent operation during playback
- optical laser pickup and precision laser motor controls for enhanced detail
- built-in ESS Saber ES9028PRO 8-channel DAC chip
- left and right stereo outputs have 4 dedicated channels each
- fully differential circuits keep noise low
- supported file types:
- PCM up to 32-bit/384kHz through USB; 24-bit/192kHz through coaxial digital and optical digital
- DSD up to 11.2MHz
- audiophile-grade toroidal transformer for clean power, low noise, and low distortion
- all-metal chassis eliminates sound-muddying vibration
- remote control included
- total harmonic distortion: 0.0012%
- signal-to-noise ratio: >115 dB
- unbalanced output level: 2.1 volts
- balanced output level: 4.3 volts
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (-0.15 dB)
- 1 optical digital audio input
- 1 coaxial digital audio input
- 1 USB Type-B input
- stereo pair of unbalanced RCA outputs
- stereo pair of balanced XLR outputs
- RS-232 port for external control from compatible devices
- 12-volt trigger input for control from external components
- 3.5mm external remote input
- Type-A USB port is only for software updates
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 4"H x 12-5/8"D
- weight: 17.88 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FR01772
What's in the box:
Rotel Diamond Series DT-6000 owner's manual
- CD player
- 58" AC power cord
- Remote control (RR-D150)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 39" RCA stereo cable
- 39" Mono-minijack cable
- 59" USB-A to USB-B cable
- USB thumbdrive (with Windows PC driver)
- Quick Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Addedum For Roon Test
- Warranty Card
Rotel Diamond Series DT-6000 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Rotel Diamond Series DT-6000
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Network Music Streaming||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Stereo SACD Playback||N|
|CD Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||115 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Compatible|
|SACD Dynamic Range||Not Given|
|SACD THD||Not Given|
|Digital Optical Input||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Input||Yes|
|USB Type-A Input||Firmware only|
|USB Type-B Input||Yes|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||Yes|
|Digital Optical Output||No|
|Digital Coaxial Output||No|
Smooth-Action Tray Loading CD Player: The DT-6000's smooth action tray loading CD player utilizes Rotel's formidable 30-years of experience engineering and manufacturing award winning disc spinners. The industrial design includes a spring-floating CD mechanism with damping materials to reduce mechanical noise and vibrations during playback. Precision motor controls and the optical laser pick-up extract every nuance and detail from CD collections both large and small.
- The Rotel DT-6000 supports playback of CD Audio, CD-R/RW, and CD Text discs. CD-R/RW discs must contain music files in CD Audio format (not MP3).
- This unit does not support MP3 or other compressed audio files via CD data discs.
Balanced Design Concept: Balanced Design Concept is the essential Rotel design philosophy that revolves around three major areas - Parts selection, circuit topology, and critical evaluation. These aspects influence final sound quality significantly and illustrate the holistic Balanced Design Concept approach to Rotel's product development. Thanks to the Balanced Design Concept, Rotel components easily exceed the performance of many mass produced audio products that offer plenty of features but skimp on audio quality, and compare favorably to components that are many times the price. Rotel continues its pursuit of extraordinary audio performance, which elevates the home entertainment experience through their core values of sonic accuracy, reliability, and affordability.
- Parts Selection: Rotel engineers carefully select premium components and parts for all their audio gear. At each stage of development, Rotel engineers listen to circuit prototypes and revise the design when they feel they can gain a sonic advantage by using a particular component from another manufacturer or by specifying tighter tolerances. Since Rotel is an independent manufacturer, they are free to source parts from highly respected suppliers around the world to fit their requirements.
- Circuit Topology: It’s not enough to simply use good parts. Where you put them is equally if not more important. That's why Rotel keeps their circuit paths as short as possible, so there's less chance that spurious emissions and unwanted leakages will corrupt delicate signal nuances. That’s also why Rotel often uses more expensive "on-board" relay source switching, rather than routing a signal from a rear-panel input to a front-panel control. Rotel also relies heavily on something called Symmetrical Signal Trace design. This keeps each channel's signal path identical to the others to preserve the imaging and soundstage. Rotel also uses electrically superior "star" grounding techniques to improve performance because star grounding routes all ground connections to a single point to reduce potential loops that might introduce noise or produce hum.
- Critical Evaluation: Rotel's development team places a lot of importance on critical listening sessions before the final product is sent to market. Rotel electronic and acoustic engineers, both in the UK and Asia, have honed their aural acuity over the course of decades of collective experience to evaluate each stage of product development from working samples, through pre-production and, finally, to verify that final production is the same as the pre-production units. Some sessions evaluate different circuit elements: capacitors, resistors, and active devices such as transistors or operational amplifiers. Others focus on differences in circuit layouts or differences caused by power supply elements. Only after this tuning process is complete with sonic performance confirmed will the product be launched to the market.
Carefully Engineered Power Supply & Circuit Board Layout: Dedicated power supplies feed all critical circuits driven by an in-house manufactured low-emission shielded toroidal transformer with high efficiency, low ESR slit-foil smoothing capacitors delivering ripple free current. This low impedance power supply has ample power reserves, which enables the DT-6000 to easily reproduce the most demanding audio signals. The DT6000's printed circuit boards (PCB) are designed with Symmetrical Circuit Traces. This insures that the precise timing of the music is maintained and faithfully recreated. Physical circuit board isolation techniques and electronic decoupling design methods result in lower residual noise and reduced distortion in the sensitive analog stages including the external DAC output filters. All aspects of this design have been examined to ensure the most faithful music reproduction.
ESS Premium 32-Bit/8-Channel DAC: The Rotel DT-6000 is equipped with a 32-bit/8-channel ESS Sabre ES9028PRO DAC that dedicates four channels each to the left and right stereo outputs rendering unprecedented details with an ultra-low noise floor and and immersive, expansive soundstage. The onboard 32-bit/384kHz DAC has been optimized to retain your music's full dynamic with precisely tuned output filter circuits that deliver unprecedented acoustic detail, wide sound stage and exact positioning.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Outputs: The DT-6000 unit gives you a choice of two different kinds of stereo analog output connections - balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA. The balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs utilize the built-in DAC and plug into a balanced or unbalanced analog audio component, such as a stereo receiver or integrated amplifier. Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow longer cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Rotel DT-6000 features an optical (toslink) digital input and coaxial (SPDIF) digital input with support for 2ch stereo PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Note: The digital audio inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats.
USB-B 2.0 (PC-USB): The DT-6000's USB-B port allows connection to your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can playback your laptop or desktop music libraries through the Rotel CD player. The DT-6000 supports USB Audio Class 2.0 for playback of 2ch stereo PCM (up to 32-bit/384kHz), DSD (up to 11.2MHz), and MQA. To take advantage of USB Audio Class 2.0 audio playback supporting up to 384kHz sampling rates you will need to install the Windows driver supplied on the included USB thumbdrive (USB driver not required for Mac). Some audio playback applications do not support 384kHz sampling rate. Please confirm your audio player supports 384kHz audio and you have 384kHz audio files to properly playback this sample rate. Also, you may need to configure the audio driver in your PC to output 384kHz or your computer may "down-sample" to a lower audio sample rate.
- MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to download and stream. MQA ensures the your will hear your favorite digital audio music soundtracks exactly the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
- Roon Tested: The RA-1572 MKII is certified as Roon Tested and compatible with software via the integrated amp's USB-B port when connected to a compatible Windows or Mac computer. Being Roon Tested means that Rotel and Roon have collaborated to ensure you have the best experience using Roon software and the DT-6000 together, so you can just enjoy the music.
Note: You'll still control search and playback functions, as well as view song/artist/information from your your Windows PC or Mac computer (not the DT-6000).
USB-A (Firmware Only): There is also a rear-panel USB-A port that is used only for firmware and software updates. The USB-A port does not support charging or media playback.
Front-Panel Display: A 2-line display on the front-panel of the unit provides useful information about the status of the unit, activation of special features, and track/time information for the disc being played. The unit will also display CD Text. The front-panel display offers a dimmer function.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: The unit can be operated using its front-panel buttons or from corresponding buttons on the supplied back-lit IR (infrared) remote control. Specific instructions for each of these controls are detailed below. Many of the buttons are duplicated on the front-panel and on the IR remote control. However, there are several functions where the buttons are only available on one or the other. A dedicated button on the remote turn on the backlight function, so you can clearly see the remote in the dark.
- Power Operation: Power On/Off, and Open
- Playback Functions: Play/Pause/Stop, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Reverse (2x, 4x, or 8x), Repeat/Random, Program Track (up to 20 tracks), and Direct Access (0-9) =
- Source Selection: CD, Coax, Optical, and PC-USB
- Volume Settings: Volume Up/Down, Mute (for Rotel integrated amplifier).
- Other Functions: Dimmer (front-panel display), Light (remote backlight), Setup (menu)
Custom Remote Integration: The Rotel DT-6000 CD player is outfitted with the following IR, 12V, and RS232 remote inputs for custom integration control.
- IR In: The IR Input (3.5mm) receives command codes from industry-standard infrared receivers via a hard-wired connection. This feature can prove useful when the unit is installed in a cabinet and the front-panel sensor is blocked.
- 12V Trigger Input: The unit can be activated by a 12 volt trigger signal. The trigger input accepts any control signal (AC or DC) ranging from 3 volts to 30 volts. When a mono-minijack cable is connected to the 12V input and a trigger signal is present, the CD Player is powered on. When the trigger signal is turned off, the unit goes into standby mode.
- RS232 Port: The unit can be controlled via RS232 for integration with automation systems. The RS232 input accepts a standard straight DB-9 Male-to-Female cable.
Auto Power Off: The CD player can be configured to automatically power off if unused for a specified period (20, 60, or 90 minutes). If the CD is stopped for the specified time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode.
3 questions already asked
The DT-6000 performs incredibly well beyond my expectations . The cd's sound clear and crisp, giving the sensation of being in the concert hall. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.
Efrain from Mcallen, TX