About the Rotel RMB-1512
A flexible power amp for a multi-zone sound system
A flexible power amp for a multi-zone sound system
Rotel's RMB-1512 delivers a considerable 100 watts into each of its 12 channels, rated with all channels driven. Flexible setup options let you distribute that power to up to six independent zones in a custom-installed multi-room sound system.
Convenient connections and switching
On the back panel, there are six zone buses with left/right binding posts and a single four-pin Euroblock connector apiece. Each bus includes an input selection switch that lets you choose signal from the master link input, or mono (zones 1 and 2 only) or stereo input from the discrete RCA input for that zone. Three selectable turn-on options (front panel switch, 12V trigger control, or signal-sensing) let you further adapt the amp's performance to your needs.
Rotel has been crafting high-performance gear for music and home theater enthusiasts since 1961. They focus on creating the best signal path possible, using premium capacitors, transistors, diode bridges, and custom toroidal power supplies to get the most from music and movie soundtracks. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of Rotel components including preamps, amplifiers, CD players, and home theater processors.
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.03% THD with all channels driven
- 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- input linking, input mono switch and signal output link for system configuration flexibility
- Class D design with thermal and overcurrent protection circuitry
- frequency response: 10-40,000 Hz (±1dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 109 dB
- detachable power cord
- rack mounting ears included
- stereo RCA link input and output for daisy-chaining multiple amplifiers or other components
- six zone buses, each including:
- one unbalanced stereo RCA input pair
- four-pin Euroblock connector
- input source switch (mono summing in zones 1 and 2 only)
- left and right 5-way binding post terminals
- 3.5mm 12-volt trigger in/out with signal sensing switch
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 5-11/16"H x 17-13/16"D (3U rack spaces)
- weight: 24 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ROT1030007
What's in the box:
- 12-Channel power amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 40" Mono-minijack cable
- 2 Rack-mount ears
- 2 Pan-head screws
- 4 Counter-sunk screws
- 2 Power button masking rings
- Owner's manual on CD-ROM
- Installation Guide
- Warranty Information
- Rack Frame Assembly Instructions
- Important Safety Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Rotel RMB-1512
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||12|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||100|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||200|
|Bridged Power per Channel||0 watts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||7|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Speaker Connectors||Posts, Phoenix|
Class D 12-Channel Amplifier: You no longer need to purchase separate amplifiers to obtain a high performance multizone audio system thanks to Rotel's RMB-1512 whole-house music amplifier. The Rotel RMB-1512 is a high-power, twelve-channel power amplifier with high currently capability to drive the most demanding loudspeakers and provide the highest level of audio performance. A massive power supply, premium components, and Rotel’s Balanced Design Concept ensure superb sound quality. Thanks to its Class D amplifier design, it never runs the danger of overheating itself or other electronic components placed in the same vicinity.
- 8-Ohm Power Rating: 100 watts x 12 channels @ 20-20kHz with 0.03% THD
- 4-Ohm Power Rating: 200 watts x 12 channels @ 20-20kHz with 0.03% THD
- The RMB-1512's power output is rated at 50 watts per channel with all channels driven. Rotel has chosen to specify the power output in this way because, in Rotel's experience, it gives the truest value of the receiver or amplifier's power capability.
- When comparing specifications for different amplifiers, you should be aware that power output is often specified in other ways, so you may not be comparing "apples-to-apples". For example, the power output may be quoted with only one channel or two channels driven (not all channels), giving a higher maximum figure.
- Be aware that the RMB-1512 is capable of high power levels, in excess of 50 watts respectively per channel. Make sure that your speakers can handle the power of the amplifier. If in doubt about your speakers, ask your Crutchfield advisor.
Balanced Design Concept: Balanced Design Concept is the essential Rotel design philosophy that revolves around three major areas - Parts selection, circuit topology, and critical evaluation. These aspects influence final sound quality significantly and illustrate the holistic Balanced Design Concept approach to Rotel's product development. Thanks to the Balanced Design Concept, Rotel components easily exceed the performance of many mass produced audio products that offer plenty of features but skimp on audio quality, and compare favorably to components that are many times the price. Rotel continues its pursuit of extraordinary audio performance, which elevates the home entertainment experience through their core values of sonic accuracy, reliability, and affordability.
- Parts Selection: Rotel engineers select premium capacitors which provide better performance across both power and frequency spectrums to produce a more accurate and musical reproduction of the audio signal. High quality power supply capacitors provide a more efficient transfer of energy with fast charging and discharge time to ensure the circuits have the reserve power when needed. At each stage of development, Rotel engineers listen to circuit prototypes and revise the design when they feel they can gain a sonic advantage by using a particular component from another manufacturer or by specifying tighter tolerances. Since Rotel is an independent manufacturer, they are free to source parts from highly respected suppliers around the world to fit their requirements.
- Circuit Topology: It’s not enough to simply use good parts. Where you put them is equally if not more important. That's why Rotel keeps their circuit paths as short as possible, so there's less chance that spurious emissions and unwanted leakages will corrupt delicate signal nuances. That's also why Rotel often uses more expensive "on-board" relay source switching, rather than routing a signal from a rear-panel input to a front-panel control. Rotel also relies heavily on something called Symmetrical Signal Trace design. This keeps each channel's signal path identical to the others to preserve the imaging and soundstage. Rotel also uses electrically superior "star" grounding techniques to improve performance because star grounding routes all ground connections to a single point to reduce potential loops that might introduce noise or produce hum.
- Critical Evaluation: Rotel's development team places a lot of importance on critical listening sessions before the final product is sent to market. Rotel electronic and acoustic engineers, both in the UK and Asia, have honed their aural acuity over the course of decades of collective experience to evaluate each stage of product development from working samples, through pre-production and, finally, to verify that final production is the same as the pre-production units. Some sessions evaluate different circuit elements: capacitors, resistors, and active devices such as transistors or operational amplifiers. Others focus on differences in circuit layouts or differences caused by power supply elements. Only after this tuning process is complete with sonic performance confirmed will the product be launched to the market.
Critical Evaluation Of The Circuit Design: Critical evaluation of the circuit design and meticulous selection of each acoustic audio components ensures accuracy, power and efficiency all coupled with an unsurpassed build quality ensuring this amplifier proudly wears the Rotel name.
Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Rotel RMB-1512 is equipped with seven sets of unbalanced single-ended RCA inputs for connection to your AV processor, preamplifier, or receiver. The inputs are labeled 1 through 6, and Link. You can group any of the 1-6 inputs with the Link input, allowing you to use up to 12 amplifier channels with the same steero input signal. The 1 and 2 inputs can also be setup as mono-channel inputs with the left channels connected to the right channels for mono signal.
- Automatic Signal Sensing: Thanks to Automatic Signal Sensing, the amplifier turns on automatically when an audio signal is detected at the RCA inputs. The amplifier will go into standby mode several minutes after an audio signal is no longer present.
- Input Level Adjustment: Six controls on the front-panel, one for each set of inputs (1 through 6), provide input level adjustments. These allow you to adjust the gain of the amplifier to match other components in the system.
Line-Level Output: The line-level stereo RCA output can be used to pass an unprocessed input signal to another audio component; for example to "daisy-chain" an additional amplifier to drive an additional set of speakers. The amplifier's Link input or any of the 1 through 6 inputs that have been grouped with the Link input can be output from the stereo RCA line-level output.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The RMB-1512 has six sets of speaker connectors, one for each pair of amplifier channels (1 through 6) . The amplifier is outfitted with binding post speaker terminals and euroblocks for each speaker output channel. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). The euroblock connectors only support bare wire. The power amp will support up to six pair of 4 to 16 ohm loudspeakers. There is no speaker selector switch for the speaker outputs; all speaker outputs are always active.
- The 1 through 6 inputs can be configured to send separate audio signals from playback sources to their receptive 1 through 6 speaker outputs.
- The 1 through 6 inputs can be grouped with the amplifier's Link input, so the same source from the Link input plays through those same grouped speaker outputs.
Note: You should exercise caution when driving multiple pairs of speakers in parallel configuration from a single speaker output, because the effective impedance the amplifier sees is cut in half. For example, when driving two pair of 8 ohm speakers from a single output, the amplifier sees a 4 ohm load. When driving multiple speakers in parallel, it is recommended that you select speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms or higher.
12V Trigger In/Out: The Rotel RMB-1512 is outfitted with a 12V Trigger input (3.5mm) and output (3.5mm). These 12V triggers can be used to link other components in your system that also offer 12V triggers, so they turn on and off with one another.
Protection Circuitry: The Rotel RMB-1512 features thermal and over-current protection circuits that protect against potential damage in the event of extreme or faulty operating conditions. Unlike many other designs, these protection circuits are independent of the audio signal and have no impact on sonic performance. Instead, the protection circuits monitors the temperature of the output devices and the current they are handling and shuts down the amplifier if operating conditions exceed safe limits.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Rotel RMB-1512 power amp can be tabletop mounted and also comes with rack-mount ears. The amp takes up 3U rack spaces once the feet are removed.
- The RMB-1506 generates heat as part of its normal operation. There should be at least 4" of clearance around the chassis, and reasonable airflow through the installation location, to prevent the amplifier from overheating.
- When installing the amplifier in a confined space or near other heat-generating components, additional cooling may be desirable. See Accessories Tab for cooling fan options (sold separately).
- Make sure that the shelf or cabinet can support the weight of the amplifier. The amplifier should be installed in or on furniture designed specifically for audio components. Such furniture is designed to reduce or suppress vibration which can adversely affect sound quality. Ask your Crutchfield advisor for advice about component furniture.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Rotel RMB-1512 comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord that plugs into the back of the power amp and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line-conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).