About the Rotel RMB-1555
Solid power for a home theater system
Solid power for a home theater system
Rotel's RMB-1555 provides a solid 120 watts to each of five speakers in a home theater system, such as your left/center/right channels up front plus a pair of surrounds. This amp has a custom-designed toroidal transformer inside, regulated by high-quality, British-made capacitors. It's not just raw power for volume — it also offers precise control over the stop/start motion of the drivers, for a dynamic, accurate listening experience.
Rotel engineered this amplifier to deliver nuanced sound in a multi-channel surround sound system controlled by a matching Rotel preamp/processor. There are unbalanced RCA inputs on the rear panel for each channel, plus 5-way binding posts for connecting each speaker. Rack mounting ears are included.
Rotel has been crafting high-performance gear for music and home theater enthusiasts since 1961. They focus on creating the best signal path possible, using premium capacitors, transistors, diode bridges, and custom toroidal power supplies to get the most from music and movie soundtracks. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of Rotel components including preamps, amplifiers, CD players, and home theater processors.
- 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.03% THD with all channels driven
- 4-ohm stable for use with a wide range of speakers
- Class AB design
- custom made toroidal transformer for stable, noise-free performance
- high-quality, British-made capacitors
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz (+0.5/-3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 116 dB
- thermal and overcurrent protection circuitry
- rack mounting ears included
- detachable power cord
- unbalanced RCA inputs for all five channels
- 5-way binding post terminals for each speaker
- switchable 3.5mm 12-volt trigger in/out
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 7-1/2"H x 17-7/8"D (4U rack spaces)
- weight: 48 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ROT1030002
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel power amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 40" Mono-minijack cable
- 2 Rack-mount ears
- 6 Pan-head screws
- 4 Counter-sunk screws
- 2 Power button masking rings
- Owner's manual on CD-ROM
- Warranty Information
- Rack Frame Assembly Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Rotel RMB-1555
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||5|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||120|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||---|
|Bridged Power per Channel||0 watts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||3|
Robust Class AB 5-Channel Amplifier: The Rotel RMB-1555 power amplifier features a Class AB design and delivers 120 watts x 5 channels to drive a five speaker home theater system. The Class AB amplifier configuration and disctete output transistors assure the best balance between power output and thermal efficiency. With five channels, each capable of producing 120 continuous watts each into 8 ohm loads, the RMB-1555 can power practically any speaker system regardless of speaker load or room size. The power amplifier's high quality components were carefully chosen for their significant contribution to better sound quality and then "tuned" to each other to reproduce both the dynamics of a blockbuster movie and the musical nuances of high-resolution audio files.
- The RMB-1555's power output is rated at 120 watts per channel with all channels driven. Rotel has chosen to specify the power output in this way because, in Rotel's experience, it gives the truest value of the receiver or amplifier's power capability.
- When comparing specifications for different amplifiers, you should be aware that power output is often specified in other ways, so you may not be comparing "apples-to-apples". For example, the power output may be quoted with only one channel or two channels driven (not all channels), giving a higher maximum figure.
- Be aware that the RMB-1555 is capable of high power levels, in excess of 120 watts respectively per channel. Make sure that your speakers can handle the power of the amplifier. If in doubt about your speakers, ask your Crutchfield advisor.
Balanced Design Concept: Balanced Design Concept is the essential Rotel design philosophy that revolves around three major areas - Parts selection, circuit topology, and critical evaluation. These aspects influence final sound quality significantly and illustrate the holistic Balanced Design Concept approach to Rotel's product development. Thanks to the Balanced Design Concept, Rotel components easily exceed the performance of many mass produced audio products that offer plenty of features but skimp on audio quality, and compare favorably to components that are many times the price. Rotel continues its pursuit of extraordinary audio performance, which elevates the home entertainment experience through their core values of sonic accuracy, reliability, and affordability.
- Parts Selection: Rotel engineers select premium capacitors which provide better performance across both power and frequency spectrums to produce a more accurate and musical reproduction of the audio signal. High quality power supply capacitors provide a more efficient transfer of energy with fast charging and discharge time to ensure the circuits have the reserve power when needed. At each stage of development, Rotel engineers listen to circuit prototypes and revise the design when they feel they can gain a sonic advantage by using a particular component from another manufacturer or by specifying tighter tolerances. Since Rotel is an independent manufacturer, they are free to source parts from highly respected suppliers around the world to fit their requirements.
- Circuit Topology: It’s not enough to simply use good parts. Where you put them is equally if not more important. That's why Rotel keeps their circuit paths as short as possible, so there's less chance that spurious emissions and unwanted leakages will corrupt delicate signal nuances. That's also why Rotel often uses more expensive "on-board" relay source switching, rather than routing a signal from a rear-panel input to a front-panel control. Rotel also relies heavily on something called Symmetrical Signal Trace design. This keeps each channel's signal path identical to the others to preserve the imaging and soundstage. Rotel also uses electrically superior "star" grounding techniques to improve performance because star grounding routes all ground connections to a single point to reduce potential loops that might introduce noise or produce hum. Further, Rotel's Class AB amplifiers don’t use output inductors because they decrease control and, consequently, sound quality.
- Critical Evaluation: Rotel's development team places a lot of importance on critical listening sessions before the final product is sent to market. Rotel electronic and acoustic engineers, both in the UK and Asia, have honed their aural acuity over the course of decades of collective experience to evaluate each stage of product development from working samples, through pre-production and, finally, to verify that final production is the same as the pre-production units. Some sessions evaluate different circuit elements: capacitors, resistors, and active devices such as transistors or operational amplifiers. Others focus on differences in circuit layouts or differences caused by power supply elements. Only after this tuning process is complete with sonic performance confirmed will the product be launched to the market.
Rotel Toroidal Transformer: The RMB-1555's capability comes from a remarkably stable power supply based on a Rotel-designed and Rotel-built toroidal transformer that provide precise voltages at high current to subsequent circuit stages. In addition, the toroid shape itself reduces stray emissions that might otherwise interfere with signal transfer.
Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Rotel RMB-1555 is equipped with unbalanced single-ended RCA inputs for the Front Left & Right channels, Center channel, and Surround Left & Right channels to connect to your AV processor, preamplifier, or receiver.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Rotel RMB-1555 power amplifier is outfitted with heavy-duty binding post speaker terminals to connect Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, and Surround Right loudspeakers of your home theater system. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). The power amp will support 4 to 8 ohm speakers.
12V Trigger In/Out: The Rotel RMB-1555 is outfitted with a 12V Trigger input (3.5mm) and output (3.5mm). These 12V triggers can be used to link other components in your system that also offer 12V triggers, so they turn on and off with one another.
Protection Circuitry: The Rotel RMB-1555 features thermal and over-current protection circuits that protect against potential damage in the event of extreme or faulty operating conditions. Unlike many other designs, these protection circuits are independent of the audio signal and have no impact on sonic performance. Instead, the protection circuits monitors the temperature of the output devices and the current they are handling and shuts down the amplifier if operating conditions exceed safe limits.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Rotel RMB-1555 power amp can be tabletop mounted and also comes with rack-mount ears. The amp takes up 3U rack spaces once the feet are removed.
- The RMB-1555 generates heat as part of its normal operation. The heat sinks and ventilation openings in the amplifier are designed to dissipate this heat. The ventilation slots in the top cover must be open. There should be at least 4" of clearance around the chassis, and reasonable airflow through the installation location, to prevent the amplifier from overheating.
- Make sure that the shelf or cabinet can support the weight of the amplifier. The amplifier should be installed in or on furniture designed specifically for audio components. Such furniture is designed to reduce or suppress vibration which can adversely affect sound quality. Ask your Crutchfield advisor for advice about component furniture.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Rotel RMB-1555 comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord that plugs into the back of the power amp and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line-conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).