About the OSD MX1280
A flexible distributed audio amp
A flexible distributed audio amp
Looking for a convenient way to power a whole-home audio system? OSD's MX1280 provides clean, reliable amplification for stereo speakers in up to six independent zones. And it's rack-mountable with the included hardware for a tidy custom installation.
Versatile setup options
Another benefit of the MX1280 is that it's versatile. You can use it alongside a surround sound preamp and have it power your home theater system. But this amp also has an array of features meant for custom-installed multi-room audio setups.
Each of the amp's six zones has its own independent volume control, input switching, and auto turn-on options. Two sets of BUS inputs allow easy sharing of sources across all zones, or you can select independent line inputs for each zone.
Efficient Class-D amplification
OSD uses clean, efficient Class D amplification in the MX1280, and for good reason: this kind of amp circuit runs cool even if you're pushing it as hard as it can go. Speaking of which, the amp has built-in safeguard circuitry that protects it from overload and short circuits.
Each amplifier zone can be internally bridged by using its stereo/bridge switch. That'll combine the power of two channels into a single more powerful mono channel — great for feeding power-hungry speakers.
- 12-channel amplifier
- six independent audio zones
- 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms with one zone driven
- 80 watts per channel into 4 oms with one zone driven
- each zone is bridgeable to 160 watts mono into 8 ohms (8-ohm speakers only)
- uses efficient Class D amplification
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (+1.7 / -1 dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 90 dB
- independent left and right volume/gain controls for all twelve channels
- signal-sensing automatic turn-on
- stereo RCA line inputs for each zone
- BUS1 and BUS2 RCA line inputs for playing the same sources in multiple zones
- BUS1 and BUS 2 RCA line outputs for daisy-chaining to other amplifiers
- detachable speaker wire terminals accept up to 14-gauge wire
- independent input switch for each zone lets you select line, BUS1, or BUS2 sources
- BUS 12-volt input and output for simplified control over zones using RCA BUS input as a source
- 12-volt trigger input/output for connecting and controlling other 12-volt devices
- detachable AC power cord
- rack-mountable (hardware included)
- 16-13/16"W x 3-7/16"H x 16-1/8"D (2U rack spaces)
- weight: 20.5 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MX1280
What's in the box:
- 12-Channel amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 2 Rack-brackets (pre-installed)
- Owner's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the OSD MX1280
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||12|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||50|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||80|
|Bridged Power per Channel||160 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||16|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
6-Zone/12-Channel Amplifier: The OSD Audio MX1280 is a powerful 6-zone/12-channel amplifier for commercial and residential audio systems that require reliable power in multiple zones. The MX1280 uses highly-efficient Class D amplifier technology that runs cool, while delivering high performance and ultra-low distortion output. The amplifier features a total of eight channels rated at 80 watts each @ 4 ohms/50 watts @ 8-ohms. It can be configured as the main amplifier for an audio distribution system such as for background music, paging, and multi-zone audio; or as an amplifier for home theater surround sound systems.
- Class D Technology: : The MX1280 uses highly efficient Class D digital circuitry. Class D amplifiers use output transistors that are fully turned on or off during operation, which keeps distortion low and efficiency is high (93%). Class D amps combine the best qualities of both class A and B technologies and are ideal for distributed audio and home theater setups because these amps run cooler than traditional amps and can easily run multiple pairs of speakers at a 4-ohm or 8-ohm load.
- Stereo or Bridged Mode: The MX1280 can be operated in Stereo or Bridged Mode. In Stereo Mode, you can connect up to six pair of 4-ohm or 8-ohm loudspeakers. In Bridged Mode, you can connect up to three pair of 8-ohm loudspeakers (Bridged Mode is not compatible with 4-ohm loads). In Bridged Mode, the amplifier is rated at 160 watts per channel @ 8-ohms.
Line-Level Analog Inputs & Outputs: The OSD Audio MX1280 amplifier is outfitted with two stereo Bus Inputs and Outputs, as well as six specific stereo Zone inputs. Each Bus input and output, as well as each Zone input consists of female stereo RCA jacks. There is a rear-panel switch that allows you to switch between the Bus 1, Bus 2, and local Zone inputs for each specific Zone of the amplifier. Left and Right gain controls for each Zone adjust the sound level independently (the Left gain control is only used in Bridged mode).
- Bus Inputs/Outputs: The two stereo Bus line-level inputs can be used to connect up to two sources to multiple zones of the MX1280 amplifier. The two stereo Bus line-level outputs pass the corresponding Bus Input to another amplifier in your system.
- Zones Inputs: Each Zone of the MX1280 amplifier has its own local line-level stereo input. The line-level audio inputs for each zone are auto-sensing and will activate the zone when an audio signal from a source is present.
Speaker Output Terminals: Each Zone of the OSD Audio MX1280 amplifier features a phoenix-style, euro-block 4-pin connector to connect a pair of loudspeakers. The euro-block connector are detachable for easy termination of up to 14AWG wire.
12-Volt Triggers: The OSD Audio MX1280 is equipped with a Buss 12V Trigger In/Out, as well as a 12V Trigger In/Out for each specific zone. Each 12V Trigger In and Out consists of a female 3.5mm jack.
- Bus 12V Trigger In/Out: The Bus 12V Trigger In is used to activate all zones that are using the Bus Input and disables other zone triggers or signal sensing on those zones when it is used. When the Bus 12V Trigger is used, all Bus-controlled zone LEDs will be blue and active. If the Bus Trigger In has 12V applied to it, only the 12V Bus Trigger Out will have 12V and the Zone Trigger Outputs will not.
- Zone 12V Trigger In/Out: The Zone 12V Trigger In is used to activate a specific zone. The Zone Trigger Out can be used to trigger other 12V devices. The delay and audio sensing are bypassed when the 12V Zone Trigger Input is used. When a Zone Trigger is active, the zone LED will be blue. If no voltage is present in the Zone Trigger, the Zone LED will be off. Standby Mode The amplifier will go into Standby mode when audio signal or trigger is not present after 3 minutes.
Protection Circuitry: The OSD Audio MX1280 amplifier employs special protection circuitry to safeguard the amplifier from thermal overload and short circuits.
- Thermal Protection: Thermal protection mode will only engage when the unit has been run at high volume for extended periods of time without adequate ventilation and/or when speaker impedances are below the minimum levels for the amplifier. In thermal protection mode the amplifier will automatically stop output. If this fault occurs, turn off the amplifier, and check that the speaker impedance rating is above the minimum rating. Also check for adequate ventilation around the amplifier and make adjustments if necessary. Once the unit has cooled to sage operating temperatures, the amplifier may be powered back on.
- Short-Circuit Protection: Special circuitry has been designed into the MX Series Multi-Zone Amplifier to safeguard under a short-circuit condition. A faulty speaker can also cause a short circuit condition. The Zone LED indicator will blink rapidly between red and blue. If this fault condition occurs, turn off the amplifier and check speakers for short circuit conditions when appropriate.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The OSD Audio MX1280 comes with a 6' detachable IEC 3-prong AC power cord that will plug into the back of the amplifier and into a power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
Mounting Options: The OSD Audio MX1280 amplifier can be mounted or a shelf or other flat tabletop surface. It can also be mounted in an equipment rack using the included hardware. The MX1280 takes up 2U rack spaces.