About the OSD Black Series R62SM
A rugged and compact architectural speaker
A rugged and compact architectural speaker
Need speakers that can withstand humidity and sound great year-round? OSD's R62SM shallow-mount in-ceiling speakers were made with you in mind. These speakers employ weather-resistant materials everywhere possible — from their drivers to their crossover housing and everything in between. Plus, each speaker offers a contour switch so you can adjust the tweeter's output to better suit your room.
Finely crafted drivers
OSD put a lot of thought into the R62SM's drivers. Each speaker uses a rigid 6-1/2" polypropylene woofer to dish out tight, clean low-and mid-bass. The company also gave the woofer an injection-molded thermoplastic rubber surround, noteworthy for its superior damping characteristics and for its resistance to pollutants, UV rays, and harsh chemicals. There's also a 1" PEI dome tweeter mounted in the middle of the woofer for crisp, clean highs.
Contour switches and custom crossovers
Each speaker comes with a unique contour switch that changes the output level of the tweeter. There are -3dB, 0dB, and +3dB settings to help you match the speakers to the area's acoustics. If your room is full of reflective surfaces, you'll want to set it to "-3dB" to keep the tweeter from being too overbearing. If your room has lots of carpet, cloth, or other sound absorbing materials, you'll want to go with the inverse "+3dB" option to give the tweeter some extra oomph and help it come through clearly in your room.
OSD also included custom crossovers on the speakers, made with audiophile-grade components like Mylar® bypass capacitors. The crossovers were specifically designed to enhance the detail and soundstage width of the tweeters. They have their own protective shields to keep dust and debris out and air vents to keep things running cool.
Modern, easy mounting
The speakers fit into a 7-3/4" cutout and attach to your ceiling using four mounting clamps. The clamps themselves have brass inserts and machined steel bolts that resist thread stripping and rust. Rubber damping pads on the clamps reduce vibration and buzzing while also giving the speakers a supportive foundation to rest on.
- 2-way shallow-mount weather-resistant in-ceiling speakers
- 6-1/2" polypropylene woofer cone with thermoplastic rubber surround
- 1" PEI dome tweeter
- built-in custom crossovers
- frequency response: 75-20,000Hz
- handles up to 60 watts RMS
- sensitivity: 86dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- cutout diameter: 7-3/4"
- frame diameter: 9-5/16"
- mounting depth: 3-1/8"
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R62SM
What's in the box:
- 2 In-ceiling loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- Cutout Template
- Install Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the OSD Black Series R62SM
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Pair|
|Woofer Surround||Thermoplastic Rubber|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||up to 60|
|Parts Warranty||Limited Lifetime|
|Labor Warranty||Limited Lifetime|
2-Way Driver Design: The OSD Audio BK-R62SM in-ceiling loudspeaker utilizes a two-way driver design, featuring a 1" PED hard-dome dome pivoting tweeter with level adjustment, plus a 6.5" polypropylene woofer with TPR surround.
- 1" PEI Dome Tweeter with Angle & Level Adjustment: A 1" PEI dome tweeter delivers the higher frequencies of your music soundtracks. The tweeter is also adjustable, meaning it can be aimed toward the listening area. With this swivel tweeter adjustment, you can easily create a better "sweet spot" for your listening area. This can make a big difference in sound quality especially for dialog and higher frequencies. You can also adjust the output level of the tweeter to -3dB, 0dB, or +3dB. The tweeter level control is located on the front baffle behind the detachable grille. Highly reflective "live" rooms benefit from a -3dB reduction, while fabric-heavy "dead" rooms will sound better with tweeter boosted +3dB.
- 6.5" Polypropylene Woofer with TPR Surround: A 6.5" polypropylene cone woofer produces the midrange and bass frequencies. Polypropylene is a popular speaker material due to the added stiffness and durability it offers over paper cones. Polypropylene cone woofers produce rich bass and detailed midrange for very balanced sound overall. The woofer surround is fabricated from injection molded Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR); a copolymer that has superior damping characteristics and greater resistance to chemicals, UV and pollutants.
Weather & Moisture Resistant: The OSD Audio BK-R62SM in-ceiling loudspeaker is weather and moisture resistant, making it a good choice for humid indoor areas (like bathrooms and kitchens), as well as outdoor areas (like under eves and covered porches).
Note: Volume controls (sold separately) can be a great addition to a system providing both proper impedance matching and more hands-on local control of the volume in the listening area.
Protected Crossover Network: The OSD Audio BK-R62SM utilizes advance crossover components including Mylar bypass capacitors to enhance high frequency extension for exceptional clarity and an "airy" response. Integrated plastic shields protect the components from debris and suffocating insulation, while integrated air vents keep things cool.
Spring Post Terminals: The OSD Audio BK-R62SM in-ceiling loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of gold-plated spring post terminals. The spring post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The gold-plated terminals provide excellent signal transfer and are resistant to corrosion.
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16-gauge in-wall rated speaker wire (CL3/FT4).
- For wire lengths between 50' and 100', use at least 14-gauge in-wall rated speaker wire CL3/FT4).
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 12-gauge in-wall rated speaker wire (CL3/FT4).
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-ceiling applications.
Mounting Options: The OSD Audio BK-R62SM features a "dog leg" (L-shaped) mounting system that is part of the frame to secure the speaker in the ceiling. The speaker requires a round cutout that measures 7.75" (diameter) x 2.8125" (depth). Its outer frame measures 9.3125" (diameter) x 0.25" (depth). The "dog leg" (L-shaped) mounting system accommodates a 0.25" to 1.25" thick ceiling. Make sure to leave at least 0.75" of open space (without obstruction) around the cutout above the ceiling, so the speaker's "dog leg" mount system will have room to engage fully.
Note: Be sure that there are no studs, lengths of conduit, pipes, heating ducts or air returns in the ceiling cavity that will interfere with the speaker.
Low-Profile Magnetic Grille: The low-profile magnetic grille is removable and can be painted to better match the color of your ceiling. The low-profile grille only protrudes 0.25" from the ceiling's surface.