About the Meze Audio LIRIC
The premium Meze experience in a closed-back design
Meze packs multi-dimensional sound and a deluxe multi-sensory experience into the closed-back LIRIC headphones.
The premium Meze experience in a closed-back design
Meze Audio has a knack for making all their product releases feel special — but the LIRIC headphones mark a new step for the company: these are the first closed-back headphones to include their acclaimed hybrid planar magnetic drivers. Meze connected once again with Rinaro, a Ukrainian research team and frequent collaborator, to retool the special drivers and optimize the size, tuning, and airflow. It's all to preserve the three-dimensional, textured sound of their open-back Empyrean and Elite headphones, but in a more intimate closed-back design.
I've spent a few days with them and they are among the more airy, open-sounding closed-back headphones I've heard.
High-end sound for more listening environments
Closed-back headphones make more sense than open-backs in many listening environments because your music won't spill out and distract other people within earshot. Meze knows this and has included some flexible connection options.
There are two sizes of detachable cables, both terminated a 3.5mm miniplug, but also a 1/4" adapter and even an airplane adapter. These headphones are efficient, but I strongly suggest a portable music player or headphone amp to hear the hybrid planars at their best. The tiny, yet powerful iFi Audio Go Blu headphone amp/DAC drove them with ease — and spotlighted the powerful, yet restrained bass impact.
I heard spacious, textured sound from the LIRIC headphones when driven by the super-compact iFi Go Blu amp/DAC (sold separately).
Beautifully constructed by hand
The LIRIC headphones also boast another signature Meze Audio trait: top-notch build quality. They're hand-crafted from high-grade materials that pop on your Instagram feed but look and feel even more delightful in person. Meze's intricate, keepsake-quality work is on full display.
Secure, fuss-free fit
LIRIC's design includes close attention to a comfortable fit. These larger, yet lightweight headphones are built on the same geometry as Meze's 99 Classic closed-backs — named Crutchfield's most comfortable headphones. The LIRIC 'phones slide comfortably into place thanks to the strong, flexible magnesium frame and spring-steel headband.
The leather headband strap softly hugs the crown of your head. And the thick memory foam ear pads are lined with a pleasant mix of Alcantara and PU leather. They offer a secure seal and gentle touch that avoids unwanted pressure and keep the planar drivers properly aligned.
The planar magnetic basics
Planar magnetic drivers are pretty complex, but here's the basic principle: a super-sized diaphragm moves lots of air, resulting in spacious sound with true-to-life dynamics. The diaphragm is covered with a flexible voice coil circuit and trapped in a magnetic field. It moves when the circuit receives an audio signal.
Customized MZ24 drivers for the closed-back design
In Meze and Rinaro's previous planar offerings, they had the luxury of space and open air to play with. For the closed-back LIRIC, they scaled-down the size of the diaphragm and introduced a new linearization system called Phase-X™. This helps account for the different sound reflection, phase response, and low-frequency emphasis of the closed-back chambers. You get an almost holographic sound presentation that extends around you, along with a realistic sense of space, separation, and decay.
A shock-proof magnesium frame, spring-steel headband, and generous padding all work together for first class fit and feel.
Meze also added some carefully placed vents to the earcup and padding. These vents are designed to give the drivers the right amount of airflow and dampening inside the closed quarters — without allowing sound to seep in or out.
One-of-a-kind diaphragm for powerful full-range sound
And then there's the diaphragm design that makes Meze and Rinaro's hybrid planars unique in the first place. They developed a way to separate the voice coil circuit into two distinct parts. There is a spiral coil that is positioned right next to the ear canal so that it can carefully distribute mids and highs. Since there is no obstruction to the listening path, it provides greater resolution and helps lower distortion.
Above that spiral, the snake-like coil handles the bass, and only the bass. The drivers serve up deep, authoritative low-end, whereas some planar drivers can occasionally sound too "polite." But, like those other planar drivers, the bass here is clean and bloat-free. It's the best of both worlds.
- closed-back design offers noise isolation and strong bass response
- planar magnetic drivers tuned to deliver large, lifelike sound with enhanced dynamics
- patented hybrid array driver delivers textured, articulate mids and highs with strong, deep bass
- driver scaled-down in size and custom-tuned for the closed-back environment
- machined and hand-assembled at Meze's headquarters in Romania
- premium build with high-grade materials
MZ24 Isodynamic hybrid array driver details:
- co-designed and co-developed with Ukrainian research group Rinaro
- Phase-X linearization system improves phase response for closed-back housings
- results in spacious, three-dimensional imaging and realistic transient decay
- oval-shaped diaphragm increases efficiency and helps lowers mass of drivers
- made of thin, rigid polymer film
- separate voice coil traces for accurate sound across a wide frequency range
- "spiral" coil positioned directly next the ear canal for resolving mids and highs
- "switchback" coil dedicated to low-end reproduction for authoritative bass
- strong, symmetrical magnetic array for greater diaphragm efficiency with fluid movement
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
- flexible, shock-resistant magnesium frame with lightweight spring-steel headband
- leather headband strap uses special suspension system
- distributes the weight on your head for effortless fit
- reinforced polymer driver housings can withstand powerful magnetic flux
- well-cushioned, soft-touch PU leather/Alcantara hybrid ear pads filled with memory foam
- earcup and pad venting system improves airflow and helps reduce pressure
- ear pads cannot be removed due to specific vent placement
Accessories and specs:
- Two detachable cables with braided cloth covering terminated by a 3.5mm miniplug
- One 4.92-foot cable and one 9.84-foot cable
- terminated at the headphone with 4-pin mini-XLR connection
- 1/4" adapter
- airplane adapter
- rigid plastic carrying case
- gift box packaging with foam protective interior
- frequency response: 4-92,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 130 dB
- impedance: 30 ohms
- weight: 13.7 ounces
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LIR-BC
What's in the box:
- Over-ear headphones (black)
- 56" Audio cable with dual 3.5mm plugs on one end and straight 3.5mm plug on other end
- 122" Audio cable with dual 3.5mm plugs on one end and straight 3.5mm plug on other end
- Airline adapter (single female 3.5mm jack to dual male 3.5mm plugs)
- Snap-on 6.3mm jack adapter
- Accessory cables pouch
- Zippered storage case
- User Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Meze Audio LIRIC
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.254" x 4.413"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||4-92k Hz|
|Cord Length||56" + 122"|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Meze Audio LIRIC over-ear headphones is the first portable, closed-back Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone. It features the new MZ4 driver which combines individual switchback and spiral shaped voice coils within the same diaphragm. LIRIC comes with two interchangeable audio cables, airline and 1/4-inch adapters, cable pouch, zippered carrying case, and a hard-sided, hinged outer box.
MZ4 Driver: The LIRIC headphones feature the MZ4 Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver, exclusively made for Meze Audio by Rinaro Isodynamics in Ukraine. The Rinaro Isoplanar Diaphragm is manufactured from a custom developed isotropic thermally stabilized polymer with a conductive layer. It features a switchback coil at the upper part of the driver for reproducing lower frequencies (down to 4 Hz), and a spiral coil for mids and highs (up to 92,000 Hz), positioned directly over the ear canal to direct sound waves into the ear canal without time delays. The 92mm x 63mm Rinaro Isoplanar diaphragm weighs only 0.08 grams (0.00028 ounces), yet has 3507 square millimeters of active area. Placed on each side of the diaphragm is a hybrid magnet array to create an efficient Isodynamic magnetic field providing uniform activation across the entire diaphragm surface. The diaphram and magnet array are sandwiched inside a reinforced polymer frame. A new innovation to the MZ4 driver, the Phase-X™ system, was added to improve ambience and spatial sound imaging which is often lost in closed back headphones.
Ergonomically-shaped Ear Cups: The driver, ear cups, and ear pads are manufactured in an ovoid shape which minimizes weight and ergonomically fits around the ear. The ovoid shape mirrors the shape of the outer ear, wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. The LIRIC headphones introduce the Earpad Air Flow (EAF) system, which optimizes the headphone's acoustic volume while reducing its weight and size. Precision-cut air vents in the earcup chamber are extended into the earpads. This significantly reduces the required size of the earcup chamber, allowing LIRIC to maintain its compact profile without affecting its performance.
Headphone Frame: The LIRIC headphones have a sturdy, but lightweight magnesium earcup frame, a spring steel headband, and copper-colored aluminum yoke posts. The frame features gloss-matte spatters to give it some texture, while the earcup is covered in textured black leather. The headband follows the structure of the head, distributing the pressure evenly while maintaining firm contact. The fabric-covered headband pad contains four cushions with channels between them to create a "plus" shape, allowing air to flow between your head and the headband pad to reduce heat and humidity buildup. The top of the headband is covered in genuine leather.
Pressure Equalization: Each earcup features a precisely-tuned air vent to better control airflow, equalize earcup chamber pressure, and present an airy, transparent sound. The air vents are located on the outside of each earcup, and have a striking copper metallic finish.
Cables: Included with the headphones are two cables of different lengths, one designed for portable use (56"), and the other for home use (122"). Both cables have flexible TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) jackets, with separate left and right earcup plugs (3.5mm) and a straight 3.5mm input plug. The plugs feature copper-colored aluminum casings and gold-plated connectors. A gold-plated 6.3mm adapter is included for connecting the headphones to your home audio components, headphones amps, or DAC equipped with 1/4" jacks, plus an airline adapter (single female to dual male 3.5mm) for enjoying in-flight entertainment. The cables and adapters can be stored in the supplied polyurethane leather cable pouch. Optional OFC or silver-plated balanced upgrade cables are available directly from Meze Audio.
- Frequency Response: 4Hz - 92kHz
- Impedance: 30Ω
- Nominal SPL: 100dB (1mW/1 kHz)
- Maximum SPL: >130dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.15%
- Dimensions: Width 3.254", Height 4.413", Depth 2.213"
- Weight: 13.8 ounces