About the Q Acoustics 5040
Creative floor-standing speaker design
Creative floor-standing speaker design
Since its inception in 2006, Q Acoustics has earned a reputation for its innovative speaker designs. The company's newest 5000 Series models take a high-tech approach with the aim of making audiophile sound more affordable. The 5040 floor-standing speaker brings detailed, dynamic performance to your listening space, whether you use it to listen to music or as part of your home theater setup.
Each of the 5040's 5-inch C3 Continuous Curved Cone™ woofers has a single, smooth profile from its outer surround to its center. That gives it excellent sound dispersion with reduced harmonic distortion and a nicely controlled frequency response that allows for smooth integration with the tweeter. It also helps to keep bass dynamics tighter, giving you more flexibility if you need to place your speakers close to a wall.
Its hermetically sealed 1" tweeter is mechanically isolated from the front baffle to mitigate internal cabinet pressure and woofer resonances.
Braced and tuned for sound
This speaker's rear-ported, solid MDF enclosure features Point to Point™ (P2P) internal bracing based on state-of-the-art, microscopic-level analysis. It allows the cabinet to dampen and dissipate unwanted acoustic energy, giving the drivers a rigid, non-resonant environment in which to operate.
It also uses internal HPE™ (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer) tube technology that reduces pressure inside the cabinet to help keep sound clear and uncolored.
The 5040 doesn't come with speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire. Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- floor-standing speaker for music or home theater
- two 5" C3 (Continuous Curved Cone) woofers
- 1" hermetically sealed tweeter
- rear-ported bass reflex enclosure
- internal PTP™ bracing
- internal HPE™ (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer) tubes
- frequency response: 39-30,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 91.5 dB
- nominal impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 25-150 watts
- low-profile connection terminals accept banana plugs, spade lugs, and bare wire
- removable magnetic grille
- includes foam port plug for adjusting the speaker's low-frequency performance
Dimensions and warranty:
- 14-1/4"W x 38-1/8"H x 11-1/2"D
- weight: 39.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # QA5048
What's in the box:
Q Acoustics 5040 owner's manual
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Port plug
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Spike covers
- Four M5 screws
- 2 Rear stabilizers
- 4 Nuts
- Owner's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Q Acoustics 5040
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5|
|Woofer Composition||Coated Paper|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/ Registration|
|Frequency Response||39-30k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
High-Frequency Driver Design: The 1" soft-dome tweeter is hermetically sealed and mechanically isolated (floating) from the baffle to prevent internal pressure modulations from within the cabinet and adjacent mid/bass driver. The inner chamber is also carefully vented for lower distortion, with a lower crossover point for seamless integration through the crossover region. A shallow waveguide further improves the directivity of the tweeter's sound dispersion.
C3 Continuous Curved Cone: The 5040 floorstanding speaker's two 5" mid/bass drivers feature Q Acoustics' C3 Continuous Curved Cone design to ensure smooth midrange with superior bass dynamics. The C3 Continuous Curved Cone profile is the result of extensive research and expert engineering to combine the bass performance benefits of a traditional straight conic cone with the high/mid-range frequency control of a flared cone.
- By creating a single, smooth, continuous curve profile, the speaker can deliver excellent dispersion, well-controlled frequency response, and reduced harmonic distortion for smoother integration with the tweeter. In addition, bass is more dynamic and tighter for a well-balanced sound.
- Because the cone's geometry requires good motor strength for optimal performance, substantial magnets are coupled to large voice coils to increase motor strength - resulting in a 50% increase in power handling and control over comparable drivers with a 25.4mm voice coil. The result is an improvement in the dynamic range of the speaker, especially in the bass region.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The 5040 floorstanding speaker employs a bass-reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. A port plug is included to tighten the speaker's bass, if the bass sounds too "muddy" or "boomy" due to placement. The speaker cabinet features a sophisticated, clean and contemporary design. The front baffle is laminated with a layer of butyl rubber and black acrylic trim provides a damping layer to suppress vibration occurring in the baffle. A cloth grille magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker cabinet.
- P2P (Point-to-Point) Bracing: Its "Point-2-Point" (P2P) internal bracing stiffens the cabinet to minimize lower frequency vibrations, while focusing stereo imaging and improving soundstage.
- HPE (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer): HPE (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer) technology designed to convert pressure to velocity and reduce the overall pressure gradient within the speaker enclosure, has been applied to the 5040 floorstanding speakers to reduce cabinet resonance. This technology is perfect for taller loudspeakers that tend to resonate at a single frequency.
Note: Available cabinet finishes include Black, White, Rosewood, and Oak.
Binding Post Terminals: The Q Acoustics 5000 Series loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG) and banana plugs (single only).
Mounting & Placement Options: The 5040 floorstanding speaker comes with rear stabilizer feet and spikes that screw into the bottom of the speaker cabinet. The spikes are perfect for carpeted flooring. Rubber spike covers are included that slip over the spike feet for use on hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The spikes can be adjusted to accommodate uneven floors. The speaker measures 38.125" tall with the spikes installed, and 38.25" with the spikes and rubber covers installed.
- A pair of 5040 speakers can be used in a simple 2ch stereo music setup, as well as utilized as front and/or rear speakers in a home theater system.
- A pair of speakers should be positioned 6.5' to 13.125' apart and form an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. Angling or "toeing" the speakers can provide better stereo imaging and "sweet-spot" for your main listening position.
- The speaker should also be placed at least 0.6875" away from the back wall and 1.625" away from the side walls. Generally, the closer the loudspeaker is to the rear wall the more the bass frequencies will be reinforced. If bass frequencies become to "muddy" or "boomy", you can use the included port plug to reduce and tighten the bass response.
Note: The Q Acoustics 5040 should always be used with the rear stabilizer feet and spike feet installed for maximum stability and optimum sound performance.
Q Acoustics 5000 Series: The 5000 series from Q Acoustics is a range of home loudspeakers that are great for both music and movie soundtracks. The 5000 series employs advanced driver technology with Q Acoustics' C3 Continuous Curved Cone mid/bass drivers, as well as incorporates innovative cabinet design for a sophisticated sound and contemporary look. The 5000 Series consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker (5040), a center-channel speaker (5090), and two floorstanding loudspeakers (5010/5020).