About the Q Acoustics 5090
Creative center channel speaker design
Creative center channel speaker design
Since its inception in 2006, Q Acoustics has earned a reputation for its innovative speaker designs. They designed this 5090 center channel speaker to handle dialogue in their affordable 5000 Series speakers, for a multi-channel home theater setup that can deliver exceptional sound quality. You'll hear crisp, clear speech and vocals front and center.
Each of the 5090's 5-inch C3 Continuous Curved Cone™ woofers has a single, smooth profile from its outer surround to its center. That gives it excellent sound dispersion with reduced harmonic distortion and a nicely controlled frequency response that allows for smooth integration with the tweeter. It also helps to keep bass dynamics tighter, giving you more flexibility if you need to place the speaker close to a wall.
Its hermetically sealed 1" tweeter is mechanically isolated from the front baffle to mitigate internal cabinet pressure and woofer resonances.
Braced for sound
This speaker's rear-ported, solid MDF enclosure features Point to Point™ (P2P) internal bracing based on state-of-the-art, microscopic-level analysis. It allows the cabinet to dampen and dissipate unwanted acoustic energy, giving the drivers a rigid, non-resonant environment in which to operate.
The 5090 doesn't come with speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire. Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- center channel speaker for home theater
- 1" hermetically sealed tweeter
- two 5" C3 (Continuous Curved Cone) woofers
- rigid MDF enclosure with dual rear ports
- nominal impedance: 6 ohms
- frequency response: 57-30,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 90.5 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 25-150 watts
- low-profile connection terminals accept banana plugs, spade lugs, and bare wire
- removable magnetic grille
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 16-7/16"H x 9-11/16"D
- weight: 18.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # QA5092
What's in the box:
Q Acoustics 5090 owner's manual
- Center-channel speaker
- 2 Port plugs
- Owner's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Q Acoustics 5090
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||57-30k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/ Registration|
High-Frequency Driver Design: The 1" soft-dome tweeter is hermetically sealed and mechanically isolated (floating) from the baffle to prevent internal pressure modulations from within the cabinet and adjacent mid/bass driver. The inner chamber is also carefully vented for lower distortion, with a lower crossover point for seamless integration through the crossover region. A shallow waveguide further improves the directivity of the tweeter's sound dispersion.
C3 Continuous Curved Cone: The 5090 center-channel speaker's two 5" mid/bass drivers feature Q Acoustics' C3 Continuous Curved Cone design to ensure smooth midrange with superior bass dynamics. The C3 Continuous Curved Cone profile is the result of extensive research and expert engineering to combine the bass performance benefits of a traditional straight conic cone with the high/mid-range frequency control of a flared cone.
- By creating a single, smooth, continuous curve profile, the speaker can deliver excellent dispersion, well-controlled frequency response, and reduced harmonic distortion for smoother integration with the tweeter. In addition, bass is more dynamic and tighter for a well-balanced sound.
- Because the cone's geometry requires good motor strength for optimal performance, substantial magnets are coupled to large voice coils to increase motor strength - resulting in a 50% increase in power handling and control over comparable drivers with a 25.4mm voice coil. The result is an improvement in the dynamic range of the speaker, especially in the bass region.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The 5090 center-channel speaker employs a bass-reflex enclosure with two rear-firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The ported cabinet features a sophisticated, clean and contemporary design. The front baffle is laminated with a layer of butyl rubber and black acrylic trim provides a damping layer to suppress vibration occurring in the baffle. Its "Point-2-Point" (P2P) internal bracing stiffens the cabinet to minimize lower frequency vibrations, while focusing stereo imaging and improving soundstage.
- Port plugs are included to tighten the speaker's bass, if the bass sounds too "muddy" or "boomy" due to placement.
- Available cabinet finishes include Black, White, Rosewood, and Oak.
Binding Post Terminals: The Q Acoustics 5000 Series loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only).
Mounting & Placement Options: The 5090 center-channel speaker is designed to be mounted on a stand, shelf, tabletop, or other flat and sturdy mounting surface. The speaker should be centered above or below your TV.
- The speaker should be placed at least 0.6875" away from the back wall and 1.625" away from the side walls.
- Generally, the closer the loudspeakers are to the rear wall the more the bass frequencies will be reinforced.
- If bass frequencies become to "muddy" or "boomy", you can use the included port plugs to reduce and tighten the bass response.
Note: The Q Acoustics 5090 does not include any bracket, keyhole-slot, or threaded insert to wall mount the speaker.
Q Acoustics 5000 Series: The 5000 series from Q Acoustics is a range of home loudspeakers that are great for both music and movie soundtracks. The 5000 series employs advanced driver technology with Q Acoustics' C3 Continuous Curved Cone mid/bass drivers, as well as incorporates innovative cabinet design for a sophisticated sound and contemporary look. The 5000 Series consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker (5040), a center-channel speaker (5090), and two bookshelf loudspeakers (5010/5020).