About the Apple TV 4K (2021)
Stunning images, super sound
Stunning images, super sound
The Apple TV 4K delivers beautifully realistic picture quality thanks to its improved image processor. You'll enjoy detailed Ultra High Definition video, including support for upcoming high-frame-rate HDR (High Dynamic Range) sources. Plus Apple TV 4K can output immersive three-dimensional Dolby Atmos® surround sound to your compatible home theater system.
The included Siri remote makes operating your Apple TV 4K a breeze. It features a touch-enabled clickpad that lets you quickly click titles, and scroll through playlists. Move your finger in a circular motion around the outer ring to move through a video to find just the scene you're looking for.
And the remote has Siri built-in, so you can make selections using your voice. Apple has also included handy "back" and "mute" buttons — two of the most-used commands for TV viewing.
Content to share
Apple TV 4K offers a wealth of entertainment options. Enjoy the latest from Apple TV+, Disney+, and ESPN (subscriptions required). Access free content from sites such as PBS and YouTube. Enjoy popular subscription services such as HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
And with SharePlay, you can watch shows with friends and family anywhere. Just start a FaceTime call on your Apple device, and then add Apple TV. The stream is synced — everyone sees the same thing at the same time, so you can comment and react just as if you were all in the same room.
Get the best possible sound
The Apple TV 4K supports multiple Dolby surround sound formats, and automatically defaults to the best available format supported by your A/V setup and the content you're watching.
And for late-night viewing, just break out the Apple AirPods®. Apple TV 4K can wirelessly pair with two sets, so you and a housemate can enjoy the show while others sleep.
Music and more
Enjoy millions of songs and music videos with a subscription to Apple Music. You can even have Apple TV 4K display the lyrics so you can sing along. You can also play music from your iTunes library, and of course stream music from your iPhone® or iPad®. Choose from thousands of internet radio stations from around the world, or enjoy your favorite podcasts.
You can also subscribe to AppleFitness+. Choose your training sessions and monitor yourself with your Apple® Watch. Apple TV 4K displays the metrics onscreen, so you never have to look at your wrist as you work out.
Into gaming? Check out the Apple Arcade. Apple's new A12 Bionic chip ensures smoother motion and greater responsiveness than before. Apple TV 4K supports multiplayer games, and is compatible with both PlayStation and Xbox® wireless controllers.
Apple® AirPlay 2
Apple TV 4K has Apple AirPlay 2, so you can share content from your iPhone, iPad, or computer running iTunes®. Multi-room audio playback means you can enjoy the same music throughout your home on compatible speakers and audio components.
AirPlay Mirroring lets you display your Apple portable device's screen on your big TV — great for sharing the latest viral videos and images with your family and friends.
- Siri voice-activated commands
- touch-enabled circular clickpad with directional navigation controls
- built-in rechargeable battery (Lightning®-to-USB charging cable included)
- 1-7/16"W x 5-7/16"H x 3/8"D
- weight: 2.2 oz.
Apple TV 4K:
- supports 4K video, including HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- supports HDR 10 and Dolby Vision content
- 64GB built-in flash storage for apps
- music, games, and video purchasing, renting, and Home Sharing with Apple account
- Disney+, AppleTV+, and Apple Music (subscriptions required)
- Apple Arcade (subscription required)
- compatible with PlayStation and Xbox wireless controllers
- YouTube, PBS, TED Talks, and other free video apps
- Netflix, HBO Max, ESPN, and Amazon Prime Video apps (subscriptions required)
- MLB, NBA, and NHL apps for live sports (subscriptions required)
- live streaming cable TV alternatives:
- SlingTV (subscription required)
- DIRECTV Now (subscription required)
- supports 5.1-channel Dolby Digital and 7.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus surround sound
- supports Dolby Atmos
iPod and iPhone control:
- Apple TV app for fully functional wireless control
- Apple AirPlay 2 to stream music, videos, and photos from iOS device
- control HomeKit-enabled smart home devices through Home app
- share Apple TV content through FaceTime
- color-balance content on your TV automatically using your iPhone's built-in camera
Connections & other info:
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- HDMI 2.1 output
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- IR receiver for remote
- pair up to 2 sets of AirPods for private listening
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- 3-15/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 15 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed internet connection
- MFR # MXH02LL/A
What's in the box:
- Apple TV 4K
- Siri remote
- 6' AC power cord
- 40" Lightning-to-USB cable
- "Let's get started" booklet
- "Apple TV Info" sheet
- 2 Apple logo stickers
Apple TV 4K (2021) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Apple TV 4K (2021)
Apple TV 4K: With Apple TV 4K, you can stream movies, TV shows, music, and games from Apple TV and other online services via your home's WiFi network to your HDMI-connected TV. Apple TV 4K lets you watch movies and shows in amazing 4K HDR quality on a HDMI-connected Ultra-HD TV. You also get access to your own personal music, video, & photo collection on your Apple iOS device and iCloud account for playback on your TV.
- A12 Bionic: A12 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture provides a significant boost in graphics performance, video decoding, and audio processing over the previous Apple TV 4K model. With A12 Bionic, Apple TV 4K now supports high frame rate HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Dolby Vision video, enabling fast-moving action at 60 frames per second (fps) to play more smoothly and appear more lifelike than ever before.
- tvOS 14.5: tvOS 14.5 is currently Apple's most powerful TV operating system that offers a truly unique experience. Its tight integration with Apple devices and services gives you and everyone in your family a range of entertainment to enjoy from the comfort of your home. Apple TV 4K's tvOS 14.5 delivers an amazing experience with stunning picture quality through 4K resolution and high frame rate HDR, plus immersive sound through Dolby Atmos.
Apple One: Apple One is the easiest way to get all of Apple's subscription services in one simple plan, including Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+, Apple News+, and iCloud. With a single subscription, customers in over 100 countries and regions can enjoy their favorite Apple services across their favorite devices, including Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
TV Shows & Movie Apps (in 4K HDR): The new Apple TV 4K features a built-in App Store making it more entertaining than ever. Apple TV 4K has great programming from apps like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and ESPN; plus critically acclaimed Apple Originals from Apple TV+.
- Apple TV gives you Apple Orginal shows and moves from the Apple TV+ app. You get just the premium channels you want, plus thousands of movies to buy or rent. Popular streaming services and cable TV provders are also available through the Apple TV app.
- Apple TV 4K teams up with some of the world's largest TV networks, boradcasts, and pay TV providers. Find sports from apps like ESPN and MLB; late-breaking news from apps like ABC, CNN, and Bloomberg; plus your favorite shows on apps such as Hulu, YouTube TV, and Sling TV.
- If you subscribe to Charter, Spectrum, AT&T, Optimum, or other apay TV providers, you can watch live channels and thousands of on-deman programs with Apple TV 4K; bringing your an incredible lineup of content ot enjoy.
Note: To stream content in 4K, Apple recommends a minimum network/internet connection speed of 25Mbs. If an internet connection isn't fast enough for transferring 4K content, Apple will downscale the video quality.
Color Balance: Adjusting your television settings to get the best picture quality can be frustrating. Apple TV 4K now works with your iPhone to automatically calibrate what you watch. Just point your iPhone at your TV screen once, then sit back and see how amazing your shows and movies are supposed to look. Through an innovative color balance process, Apple TV 4K works with iPhone and its advanced sensors to improve a television's picture quality. Apple TV 4K uses the light sensor in iPhone to compare the color balance to the industry-standard specifications used by cinematographers worldwide. Using this data, Apple TV 4K automatically tailors its video output to deliver much more accurate colors and improved contrast; without customers ever having to adjust their television settings.
Music & Radio: Apple Music gives you access to over 75 million songs on your Apple TV 4K. So you can use it to explore, and discover great music with family and friends. Discover your next favorite song, album, or artist - without ever hearing an ad. Play anything in the vast 40-million-song catalog, along with your entire iTunes library. You can listen online or off - all for $9.99 a month. In addition, you'll be able to listen to music from your iCloud Music Library, including music you add from Apple Music, your iTunes purchases, and songs uploaded from your computer.
- Massive Music Collection: The massive Apple Music catalog is home to millions of songs, artists, and albums. And everything in your iTunes library - no matter where it came from - lives right alongside it. All organized as one big music collection.
- Ad-Free: Whether streaming your favorite song, album, mix, or playlist, your music will never be interrupted by ads.
- Off-Line Mode: If you don't want to use your cellular data, you can download anything from Apple Music and listen to it right from your phone. No signal required.
- Beats 1 Radio: With up-and-coming artists and daily curated playlists, Apple Music is always bringing you content that's new and noteworthy. Listen to Beats 1 radio, and if you have a specific music request, just ask Siri.
- Playlists: Be your own DJ by easily making a playlist of your favorite songs. Or let Apple Music create mixes for you based on the music you like the most.
- Music Sharing: Create a profile and follow friends to see what they've been playing, and share what you're into.
Apple Fitness+. Apple Fitness+ on Apple TV 4K brings studio-style workouts to customers in the comfort of their own homes, featuring a team of some of the world's most welcoming trainers across 10 different workout types. The first fitness service built around Apple Watch, Fitness+ integrates key metrics from Apple Watch right on the big screen to offer a personalized and immersive experience that keeps motivation high throughout every workout. Choose from a catalog of workouts led by expert trainers. In-session metrics from your Apple Watch (sold separately), like heart rate and calories burned, are shown on your big screen in real time, so you can focus on your workout and see how you're doing.
Apple Arcade: Apple Arcade on Apple TV 4K offers unlimited access to a growing collection of more than 100 premium games - featuring new original releases, award winners, and beloved favorites from the App Store, all without ads or in-app purchases. Players can pair supported game controllers to enjoy games like "NBA 2K21 Arcade Edition", "SongPop Party", and "Star Trek: Legends" on Apple TV 4K and continue the action from iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Gameplay gets more realistic with the A12 Bionic, which powers smoother motion and greater responsiveness. Multiuser support helps players keep track of their individual game levels, leaderboards, and invitations, plus switch between players at any time. You can also connect more of your favorite controllers to Apple TV 4K, including PlayStation and Xbox Wireless controllers (sold separately).
News & Sports Apps: Apple TV 4K offers the live content you care about most, including news and sports. You'll find your favorite sports from apps like NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB, plus ESPN. You also get late-breaking news from apps such as Bloomberg and CNN.
Videos & Photos: Apple TV 4K lets you use your "My Photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing" to view the photos and videos shared from your iCloud account on your connected television. You can choose to view your photo albums as a slideshow with Apple TV 4K. The "Memories" feature automatically creates collections of your best photos and videos, and Apple TV lets you see them in 4K. If you create Live Photo loops or bounces on your iPhone, you can share those on the big screen, too. You can even use one of your photos as the Apple TV 4K screensaver.
- My Photo Stream: Turned on by default on your iOS devices, My Photo Stream automatically uploads new photos taken on an iOS device to your other devices that use My Photo Stream, including Apple TV 4K.
- iCloud Photo Sharing: You can view albums of photos and videos shared from another iOS device or Mac using iCloud Photo Sharing, or view other people's shared albums if you're subscribed.
Storage Management: Apple TV 4K streams video and music, but it stores apps locally. The more apps you download to Apple TV 4K, the more storage is used up. At some point you may get a warning that you're running out of disk space. If so, you can remove apps to free up space.
Customizable Home Screen: The top row of the Home screen is a great place for your favorite apps. When you highlight an app in the top row, you get shortcuts that can take you to content without opening the app first. You can decide which apps appear in the top row, arrange them in the order you prefer, and delete apps from the App Store that appear on the Home screen. You can also change the appearance of backgrounds and menus between light and dark.
Cinematic Screen Savers: When you're not actively using Apple TV, it displays aerial HD videos of stunning locations around the world on your TV screen. Shot specifically for Apple TV 4K, these dreamy landscapes drift across your TV, turning your big screen into a mesmerizing work of art.
Accessibility: A variety of accessibility features help you get the most out of your new Apple TV. If you are blind, have low vision, or are deaf or hard of hearing, you can easily find and enjoy your favorite entertainment. These accessibility features include VoiceOver, Zoom, Bold Text, Increase Contrast, Reduce Motion, Closed Caption & SDH Support, and Accessibility Shortcut.
Auto On & Sleep: Apple TV 4K is ready for you to watch at any time, and automatically goes to sleep after a preset period of inactivity.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: Apple TV 4K offers both wired (Ethernet) and wireless (WiFi) network connectivity. It is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port which supports a 10/100BASE-T Ethernet wired network. It also features WiFi 6 (802.11ax) with MIMO and simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz for a wireless network connection.
Note: You can transfer your WiFi network and password and Apple ID account information automatically to Apple TV 4K from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad with iOS 9.1 or later.
HDMI 2.1: Apple TV 4K is outfitted with an HDMI 2.1 output to connect to your Ultra HD TV & home entertainment system. The App TV's HDMI output supports up to 4K/60Hz video, HDR video (including HDR10 & Dolby Vision), as well as multi-channel audio (including Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby Atmos).
- 4K/HDR Video: 4K provides 4x higher resolution than 1080p high-definition with a total of 8.3 million pixels. Its detail is so vivid and crisp, even when viewed from close distances; it's nearly impossible to discern a single pixel, even from inches away. Enjoy incredibly flawless images, vivid colors, and picture details as never before. At twice the frame rate for high dynamic range (HDR) video, Apple TV 4K delivers brighter, more realistic colors and greater detail. Fast-action sports and movies look incredibly smooth, while nature documentaries come alive. The Apple TV 4K supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR formats (does not support HLG).
- Dolby Atmos Surround:
Dolby Atmos moves sound all
around you in three-dimensional space, so you feel like you're inside the
action. Rather than being constrained to channels (like many other surround
formats), Dolby Atmos can precisely place different sounds and move them in
three-dimensional space. Dolby Atmos creates a new sensation of height that
immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and
realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders
everything from dialog to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing
clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that
excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of
Note: Some soundbars and AV receivers support Dolby Atmos, but don't support video formats like HDR10 and Dolby Vision. In this case, you can either plug your Apple TV 4K into the soundbar or AV receiver to play sound in Dolby Atmos. Or you can plug your Apple TV 4K into your television to watch video in HDR and Dolby Vision. To do both, you need a television or an AV receiver or soundbar that supports both Dolby Atmos and 4K/HDR video formats.
AirPlay 2 & Mirroring: The latest 11.4 iOS software update allows Apple TV 4K to support AirPlay 2, an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform. While listening to your music from Apple TV 4K or other AirPlay 2 certified device (like the Apple HomePod), it's as easy as selecting or unselecting where your music is playing in the Control Center of your iOS device or within a compatible music app. You'll also be able to ask Siri to play music in any room, group rooms, or play music in every room. Plus with AirPlay Mirroring, you can display the screen of your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Mac on your TV.
Home Sharing & SharePlay: Apple TV 4K lets you access your iTunes account on your Windows PC or Mac, so you can watch & listen to content saved in your iTunes library on your computer from your connected television & home entertainment system. You'll also be able to watch movies or shows with anyone, anywhere with SharePlay. Just start a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, then add Apple TV to share the viewing experience on the big screen. Everyone's playback is coordinated, so you and your friends can enjoy at the same time.
Audio Sharing & Stereo Speaker Pairing: When the kids go to bed, Audio Sharing lets you connect two sets of AirPods (sold separately) to your Apple TV 4K and still enjoy movies and shows. You can even listen with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max for a theater-like experience with sound that surrounds you. You'll get an automatic on-screen notification to connect your AirPods. You can also pair two HomePod mini speakers (sold separately) with the Apple TV 4K and enjoy rich, balanced sound for everything you watch.
Bluetooth 5.0: With built-in Bluetooth 5.0, you can connect a Bluetooth device to the Apple TV 4K - such as an MFi-certified (made for iPod touch/iPhone/iPad) game controller, Bluetooth headphones, wireless keyboard, and other Bluetooth-enabled accessories. You cannot output Bluetooth audio and HDMI audio at the same time.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Apple TV 4K operates off of standard household current using its internal power supply and detachable AC power cord.
Siri Remote: The new Siri remote offers both voice & touch-surface control which makes finding what you want to watch on TV fun & fast. Thanks to Bluetooth, you don't even have to worry about where you point the remote; the new Apple TV will pick up your commands from anywhere in the room.
- Voice Control: There's no easier way to interact with something
across the room than using your voice, and now the Siri Remote lets you do
that with Apple TV 4K. A microphone on the remote allow Siri to hear your
commands clearly, even if there's background noise. Simply say what movie or
show you want to watch, and Siri finds it for you, without having to click
through multiple menus to get there. Siri understands a wide range of
commands, and intuitively applies them to the current context whenever
possible. Siri doesn't talk back to you on Apple TV 4K like it does on iPhone
and other devices, but it'll carry out your request and display the results
- Movie & TV Show Searches: With Siri, you can quickly search for a movie or TV show across popular services, including content apps such as iTunes and Netflix. All your viewing options are displayed on the screen, so you can see where a movie or show can be found. You'll also see if it's available to rent, buy, or watch with a subscription. With Siri, you can continue to make follow-up commands during a search until you find exactly what you want.
- Other Siri Functions: Siri doesn't just let you search for movies and TV shows; ask Siri to show you sports scores, control playback, pull up the weather, access your settings, and check your stocks. You can even tell Siri to reduce loud sounds, which boosts dialogue and softens music and sound effects, so you don't wake up the whole house when you're watching a late-night movie. Or if you can't understand a line from a show, ask "What did he just say?" And Siri will skip back and temporarily turn on closed captioning, so you can see what you missed.
- Touch-Enabled Clickpad: With its one-piece aluminum design, the new Siri Remote fits more comfortably in your hand. The new Siri Remote features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy, and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes Apple TV users love. The outer ring of the clickpad supports an intuitive circular gesture that turns it into a jog control which perfect for finding a scene in a movie or show.
- TV & Universal Remotes: You can configure the Siri Remote to turn your TV on or off, change the input to your Apple TV 4K, and even control the volume. You can also use any infrared remote to control Apple TV 4K. You just need to let the other remote learn the signals that the Siri Remote generates.
Note: The Siri Remote has a rechargeable battery inside. With typical usage, you'll need to charge it a few times a year. An alert appears on the TV screen when the remote battery is running low. Connect one end of the included Lightning-to-USB cable to the Lightning port on the bottom of the Siri Remote, and then connect the other end to a computer's USB port or to a 3rd party USB/AC power adapter (sold separately).
Multi-User Support: With multiuser support in the the Apple TV's Control Center, all your family members can quickly find only the shows they want to watch. Up Next lists, video and music collections, recommendations, and more are tailored to each of you.
Find Apps: The App Store lets you browse, purchase, and download apps to the Apple TV 4K. Browse a great selection of apps chosen by the App Store (Featured), browse the top items in the App Store (Top Charts), Browse apps by category the top items in the App Store (Categories), and see the apps you've purchased on the App Store; including purchases made on other iOS devices that have a shared Apple TV version of the app, as well as purchases by Family Sharing members (Purchase).
Browse TV & Movies: "Watch Now" includes TV shows and movies you have access to from free services, services you've subscribed to, and your iTunes purchases and rentals. "Library" includes your iTunes purchases and rentals, organized by category. "Store" lets you explore great new content across channels and services you haven't yet subscribed to, as well as the latest releases on iTunes (browse featured movies, TV shows, or content apps). Use "Search" to find TV shows and movies by title, cast, or crew.
Apple Music Playback: On the "Now Playing screen", you can quickly navigate to other songs in an album or playlist, or select more options. "Library" includes any Apple Music content and playlists you added, iTunes purchases and playlists you created, and music you make available through iTunes Match. The "For You" feature suggests curated playlists and albums, based on your specific tastes. The "Browse" function showcases the best recommendations from music experts. "Radio: offers the always-on Beats 1, featuring top DJs playing today's best music, as well as a collection of stations based on different genres; stations created by experts provide a great way to explore and enjoy new music - you can also create your own custom stations, based on your pick of artist, song, or genre. You can search Apple Music content by song, album, playlist, artist, curator, music video, activity, radio station, or genre. Or, use Siri to search music.
Apple TV App: The Apple TV app lets you browse content from a variety of online video services without switching from one app to the next. You'll find movies, shows, and handpicked recommendations. The Apple TV app is already on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV and works seamlessly across them all. So if you stop watching in one place, you can start again later on a different device.
- Watch Now: Watch Now serves up your favorite shows. It features Up Next, which lets you pick up where you left off, and What to Watch, where you'll find handpicked recommendations.
- Library: Everything you've purchased from iTunes, along with your current rentals, shows up in your Apple TV app library. And if an HD title in your library is released in 4K HDR, it automatically updates for free
- Store: The Store tab is the best place to find the latest video services and the content they offer. You can also find the latest movies, shows, and more on iTunes
- Search: Find movies and shows by entering a title or actor in the Search tab. Or ask Siri what you are looking for.
Note: If you're running a version of iOS prior to iOS 11, download the Apple TV Remote app from the App Store on your iOS device, and make sure your Apple TV, iOS device, and the Apple TV Remote app are updated to the latest software version and connected to the same WiFi network.
Smart Home Control via Home App (HomeKit Compatible): Apple TV 4K lets you use your iOS device to control HomeKit-enabled smart home accessories remotely with the Home app. No matter which compatible accessories you choose, the Home app makes it easy to set up and control all of them, all from one place. Over 50 brands worldwide are committed to providing accessories that are compatible with the HomeKit framework, and the number available is growing every day. And each of these accessories is reviewed and approved by Apple to help ensure your security when you use it.
- Grouping: The Home app groups accessories by room, so you can easily control devices in any part of your house with a tap. You can even tell Siri things like "Turn off my bedroom lights" or "Start heating the upstairs". And 3D Touch lets you press an icon to perform more complex tasks like dimming the lights or adjusting the thermostat.
- Scenes (Macros): The Home app allows you to set scenes, which enable multiple accessories to work in combination - all with a single command. So you can create a scene named "Leaving Home" that turns off the lights, locks your doors, and lowers the thermostat.
- Voice Control via Siri: Siri knows which HomeKit-enabled accessories you have in your home, as well as their status. So you can ask Siri to turn an appliance on or off, dim your lights, change the song, or set one of your scenes. With Apple TV 4K, you don't even have to be home - for example, you can ask Siri to set the "I'm Home" scene while you're driving. When you arrive, your house will be bright and warm, waiting for you to settle in.
- Automatic Tasks Apple TV 4K also enables your home to carry out certain tasks automatically. For example, you can trigger an accessory or scene based on the time of day, your location, sensor detection, and more. Set it up once and you're done.
- Camera View: You'll be able to view multiple HomeKit compatible cameras (sold separately) around the house at the same time on the Apple TV 4K.
Video Formats: H.264, HEVC, & MPEG-4
- H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile
- HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p/60fps
- H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Audio Formats: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound), and Dolby Atmos
Photo Formats: HEIF, JPEG, GIF, and TIFF
- Purchases, rentals, and Home Sharing require an Apple ID that you use for the App Store and other Apple services
- Requires 802.11 wireless, Ethernet network, or Broadband Internet access
- Requires 4K and HDR TV for 4K and HDR streaming
- Requires acceptance of the software license terms at www.apple.com/legal/sla
- Requires HDMI cable (sold separately)
The Apple TV 4K (2021) replaces these items
- full 4K video resolution and HDR (High Dynamic Range) support, including HDR 10 and Dolby Vision
- Siri Remote with voice-command capability
- 64GB built-in flash storage for apps