About the Alpine CDA-7998
The CDA-7998 CD receiver is a system-builder's dream come true! This MP3-playing Alpine has top-quality power supply and output capacitors for ultra-pure sound, plus gold-plated 4-volt preamp outputs that deliver a hot, clean signal to your amps and subs. (Component amps are required with this receiver it doesn't have an internal amp).
The FantomFace XL faceplate is 30% larger than other single-DIN-sized receivers, but it takes up no more room in your dash. It's fully motorized (even the rotary control knob), and disappears when you power down, leaving nothing but a plain black panel to confound thieves.
Alpine's best and brightest BioLite® display will keep you "in-the-know" under any lighting condition. Its high-resolution graphics will amaze and amuse you. And switchable green or amber button illumination gives you more options to match your dash lighting.
Tone shaping possibilities are extensive. The Bass Engine® Pro section puts a 5-band parametric equalizer, 6-channel digital time correction, a 6-position crossover, plus subwoofer phase and level controls at your command.
Is your music sounding a little flat and lifeless? The remarkable Media Expander re-energizes MP3s, CDs, FM and XM Radio with three levels of enhancement choose the one that pleases your ear.
Computer users can take advantage of Alpine's exclusive i-Personalize feature. Surf on over to Alpine's website, and you can create customized Bass Engine setups as well as a 3-line text greeting, burn the info to a disc, and upload it onto the CDA-7998!
- FantomFace XL motorized stealth faceplate
- BioLite high-resolution display
- switchable green or amber button illumination
- plays MP3 files on CD-R or CD-RW, plus audio CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
- MaxTune SQ tuner
- XM Satellite Radio controls (XM Radio subscription, tuner, antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal.) service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
- Bass Engine Pro (5-band parametric EQ, 6-channel digital time correction, 6-position crossover with variable slope, plus subwoofer phase and level controls)
- Media Xpander
- CD changer controls for Alpine Ai-NET changers only
- optional auxiliary input
- premium-quality power supply and output capacitors
- gold-plated 4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
- wireless remote
- component amp(s) required no internal amp
- CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
- FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
- 1-year warranty
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver with attached DC/DC converter
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness with in-line noise filter and fuse/fuse holder
- RUE-4187 Wireless remote
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Owner's Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Customer Care Registration card
- "Note" sheet (includes manual corrections and additional information)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine CDA-7998
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||NA|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||---|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Green/Amber|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
Preamp Tuner/CD Player: Since this unit does not have a built-in amplifier, 4V front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are provided to connect the required external amplifiers (sold separately).
FantomFace XL Anti-theft Design: The FantomFace XL faceplate is 30% larger than other single-DIN-sized receivers, but it takes up no more room in your dash. It's fully motorized (even the rotary control knob), and disappears when you power down. When the power is shut off, the entire front panel automatically shift to a horizontal position and retracts into the unit, leaving only a blank panel.
BioLite Display: The high-quality display uses biochemical luminescence technology that provides outstanding visibility even in daylight. In addition, it has a much wider viewing angle than conventional displays.
Selectable Faceplate Angle: In addition to the standard faceplate position, there are two preset faceplate angles for you to choose from.
Blackout Display Mode: When the Blackout mode is activated, the display turns off to reduce power consumption. The additional power made available by turning off the display helps enhance sound quality.
Animation Display: You may choose from five animation display patterns, or the animation display may be turned off.
Calendar Display: You can choose to show the date when the time is displayed. The date can be in one of the following formats: month/day/year, day/month/year, or year/month/day.
Bass Engine Pro: Bass Engine functions provide control over your system, so you can tailor the sound to your personal tastes. Bass Engine Pro includes the following functions:
- 6-Channel Digital Time Correction: The time correction feature allows you to create virtual speaker positions by delaying the signals being sent to the speakers closest to you. When the correct delay times have been entered for the front right, front left, rear right, rear left, subwoofer left, and subwoofer right speakers, all sounds reach your ears at the same time, providing optimized imaging and frequency response.
- 6-Position Digital
Crossover with Adjustable Slope:
The digital crossover allows you to choose from the following modes:
- 2-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter is available for the front and rear preamp outputs. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB.
- 3-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 1-20kHz high-pass filter is available for the front preamp outputs. The rear preamp outputs have a continuously variable 20Hz-20kHz low-pass filter and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB.
- 5-band Digital Parametric EQ: The 5-band parametric EQ lets you select a center frequency, then adjust its output level and even the "width" of the boost or cut for precise system tuning. You can select a frequency for each of the following bands: Band 1 (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63HZ, 80Hz, 100Hz), Band 2 (250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz), Band 3 (630Hz, 800Hz, 1kHz, 1.2kHz), Band 4 (3.2kHz, 4kHz), and Band 5 (10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz, 20kHz). Once a frequency is selected, you can adjust its level from -6dB to +6dB in 1dB increments. The Q for each frequency can be set to 1, 2, or 3. In addition to the user-adjustable EQ, three tone presets are stored into memory, allowing you to recall the best setting for different types of music. You may choose from the following tone presets: "Pops", "Rock", or "News".
- MX (MediaXpander): The MediaXpander function makes vocals or instruments sound distinct by restoring sound quality typically lost during recording or transmission; this function helps restore audio information that becomes obscured when audio is compressed. The MX function can be applied to all sources, except AM radio. There are three expansion modes for each internal source (CD, FM, MP3), and each source can have its own setting. There are also three expansion modes available for external sources.
- Subwoofer Level Control: The level of the subwoofer preamp outputs can be adjusted to balance the output of your subwoofer with that of your other speakers.
- Subwoofer Phase Selector: The phase of the subwoofer outputs may be set to normal (0 degrees) or reverse (180 degrees); this function allows you to minimize phase cancellation of bass frequencies, for stronger bass response.
i-Personalize: i-Personalize is an innovative way to customize select Alpine receivers to fit your specific listening needs. You log on to www.alpine-usa.com and download user preferences (based on vehicle and system type) for time correction, crossover, parametric EQ, and a 3-line text greeting from the i-Personalize menu. After selecting your settings, you can burn them onto a CD-ROM, and upload them to the head unit.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs containing MP3 files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats; constant and variable bit rates from 32 kbps to 320 kbps are supported. Discs recorded using Joliet or other ISSO 9660 compliant formats can be played, but file and folder names will not be displayed correctly. CD-ROM XA, Mixed Mode CD, Enhanced CD (CD-Extra) and multi-session recordings are supported, but recordings made using Track At Once or packet writing cannot be correctly played back. Discs containing both standard CD audio and MP3 data can be played; the unit may be set to play only the CD audio tracks or both types of tracks. ID3 tag v1 is supported; track title, artist name and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed.
Disc and Station Titling: Titles of up to 8 characters in length may be entered for up to 24 radio stations and 18 CDs; titles cannot be input for MP3 discs.
Wireless Remote: A wireless remote is included for convenient control of the head unit's most used functions (source selection, volume, disc transport functions, station seek and preset tuning, display angle selection).
XM Radio Ready: An optional XM Satellite Radio tuner may be connected to, and controlled by, this unit. The optional tuner, along with an antenna and subscription, will allow you to receive XM Satellite Radio. XM Satellite Radio programming features up to 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Auxiliary Input Ready: With the addition of the optional KCA-121B Ai-NET/RCA interface cable, the KCA-801B auxiliary input adapter, or the KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal, the audio from an auxiliary source can be played through this unit. When the KCA-121B interface cable is used, a CD changer cannot be connected to the head unit; the KCA-801B auxiliary input adapter allows you to connect an auxiliary source and an Ai-NET changer to the head unit. The KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal allows you to feed audio from up to two auxiliary sources and two Ai-NET CD changers to the head unit.
MobileHub Link: Using the MobileHub Link, you can connect an optional Junction Box and a compatible Nokia cellular phone, allowing you to control the incoming and outgoing calls from the head unit. The MobileHub Link is due for release in late 2002, and it is designed to work with Nokia tri-band GSM phones. The Nokia 6310i tri-band GSM phone will be the first compatible phone available in the United States, and it is scheduled for a summer 2002 introduction.
Compatibility: This unit is compatible with 6 and 12-disc Alpine Ai-NET CD changers; also, this unit can control Alpine Ai-NET CD/MP3 changers and DVD changers. Alpine M-Bus CD changers cannot be controlled by this unit.
Multiple Changer Control: With the addition of an optional adapter, more than one CD changer can be controlled. One KCA-400C adapter will allow you to connect up to 4 CD changers, and two KCA-400C adapters will allow you to connect up to a total of 6 CD changers. The KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal can be used to connect up to two CD changers and two auxiliary audio sources.
Text Display: When connected to a text capable changer, this unit can display text data from CD Text encoded CDs and MP3 CDs.
Disc Titling: When connected to a CD changer with disc title memory, CD titles may be entered and displayed for discs played in the changer. The title length and title capacity varies depending on the model of CD changer used; titles cannot be input for MP3 discs.
Preamp Output Voltage Specification: The manual incorrectly lists a 5V preamp output voltage rating. This unit has 4V preamp outputs.