About the Alpine CDA-9831
The CDA-9831 CD/MP3/WMA receiver gets personal with Alpine's enhanced iPersonalize package. It puts control over the receiver's appearance (variable color illumination) and sound (Bass Engine Plus) at your fingertips.
Variable-color button illumination starts out with your choice of blue, green, amber, or red for the large buttons next to the rotary encoder. But that's just the beginning. In "set up" mode, turning the encoder lets you ease your way through a spectrum of 512 colors. You can store your six favorite colors as presets, making it simple to retreive these custom colors in the future.
The CDA-9831 has Bass Engine® Plus sound controls (4-band parametric EQ, 4-channel time correction, 2-way crossover, and subwoofer controls); and the biggest benefit of iPersonalize is downloadable audio settings. Visit Alpine's iPersonalize website to create custom Bass Engine Plus setups, burn them to a disc, and then load it into the receiver the adjustments will be made automatically!
Add an Alpine CD changer for long-playing entertainment. If system expansion is your game, three sets of preamp outputs simplify adding outboard amplifiers. Connect an optional XM Satellite Radio tuner, and discover satellite radio with over 100 coast-to-coast channels of digital-quality music, news, sports, and entertainment (XM antenna and subscription also required). The CDA-9831 also accepts SIRIUS Satellite Radio via the SIR-ALP1 tuner (not included).
- detachable, fold-down face
- variable button color
- plays MP3 and WMA files
- plays audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs
- MaxTune SQ tuner
- 12 FM/6 AM presets
- Bass Engine Plus (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments, as well as 4-channel digital time alignment and a 3-position, 12dB/octave crossover, subwoofer level and phase control)
- MediaXpander (restores clarity and detail to compressed or broadcast audio)
- source tone memory
- iPersonalize setup options
- XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio controls
- CD changer controls for Alpine Ai-NET changers only
- optional auxiliary input
- 4-volt front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs
- MOSFET internal amp
- wireless remote
- 18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels (CEA-2006 Compliant)
- CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
- FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CDA-9831
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver
- Hard plastic face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness with in-line fuse/fuse holder
- RUE-4187 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- 1 Face security screw
- Owner's Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Customer Care Registration card
Alpine CDA-9831 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine CDA-9831
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
Selectable Faceplate Angle: In addition to the standard faceplate position, there are three preset faceplate angles for you to choose from.
Blackout Display Mode: When the Blackout mode is activated, the display turns off to reduce power consumption. The additional power made available by turning off the display helps enhance sound quality.
Display Dimming: This unit is equipped with an illumination dimmer lead. When the unit's dimmer mode has been set to "AUTO" and the illumination lead has been connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display's illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the "MANUAL" dimmer mode setting, so the display is dim at all times.
Display Type: You may choose from the following three display types:
- Type 1: the indicator on the left changes in a fixed sequence
- Type 2: the indicator on the left changes according to the Multicolor Illumination
- Type 3: the indicator on the left changes according to the audio level
Variable Button Color: The button illumination can be adjusted to any of 512 colors. The following color presets are stored in memory: Blue, Green, Amber, and Red. In addition, you can store one custom color under the User's preset. The custom color can be selected by turning the rotary encoder and cycling though all 512 colors.
Bass Engine Plus: Bass Engine functions provide control over your system, so you can tailor the sound to your personal tastes. Bass Engine Plus includes the following functions:
- 4-Channel Digital Time Correction: The time correction feature allows you to create virtual speaker positions by delaying the signals being sent to the speakers closest to you. When the correct delay times have been entered for the front right, front left, rear right and rear left speakers, all sounds reach your ears at the same time, providing optimized imaging and frequency response.
- 4-band Digital Parametric EQ: The 4-band parametric EQ lets you select a center frequency, then adjust its output level and even the "width" of the boost or cut for precise system tuning. The parametric EQ offers a selection of 4 frequencies and 15 center frequencies: Band 1 (40Hz, 60Hz, or 90Hz), Band 2 (100Hz, 150Hz, or 200Hz), Band 3 (500Hz, 700Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, or 6kHz), and Band 4 (10kHz, 12.5kHz, or 15kHz). Once a frequency is selected, you can adjust its level from -12dB to +12dB in 1dB increments. The Q for each band can be adjusted independently: Band 1 (1, 2, or 3), Band 2 (1, 1.5, or 2), Band 3 (1, 2, or 3), and Band 4 (fixed bandwidth). In addition to the user-adjustable EQ (Users 1 or Users 2), tone presets are stored into memory, allowing you to recall the best setting for different types of music. You may choose from the following tone presets: Rock, Pops, Jazz & Blues, Electrical, Hip Hop & Rap, Easy Listen, Country, Classical, News, or Flat.
- 3-Position 12dB/Octave Crossover: An 80Hz/120Hz/160Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and an 80Hz/120Hz/160Hz high-pass filter is available for the front right, front left, rear right and rear left preamp outputs. Either, or both, filters may be turned off.
- Subwoofer Level Control: The level of the subwoofer preamp outputs can be adjusted to balance the output of your subwoofer with that of your other speakers.
- Subwoofer Phase Selector: The phase of the subwoofer outputs may be set to normal (0 degrees) or reverse (180 degrees); this function allows you to minimize phase cancellation of bass frequencies, for stronger bass response.
MX (MediaXpander): The CDA-9831 features the MediaXpander function, which is offered on Bass Engine Pro, Bass Engine Plus, and some Bass Engine models. The MediaXpander function makes vocals or instruments sound distinct by restoring sound quality typically lost during recording or transmission; this function helps restore audio information that becomes obscured when audio is compressed. The MX function can be applied to all sources, except AM radio. There are three expansion modes for each internal source (CD, FM, MP3/WMA/XM), and each source can have its own setting. There are only one or two expansion modes available for external sources.
i-Personalize: i-Personalize is an innovative way to customize select Alpine receivers to fit your specific listening needs. You log on to www.alpine-usa.com and download user preferences (based on vehicle and system type) for time correction, crossover, and parametric EQ. After selecting your settings, you can burn them onto a CD-R, and upload them to the head unit. You can also upload the settings to the head unit using the optional Alpine HDA-5460 Hard Disk Drive player, if one is connected.
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs containing MP3/WMA files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats. MP3 files with constant and variable bit rates from 8 kbps to 320 kbps and WMA files with constant and variable bit rates from 48 kbps to 192 kbps are supported. Discs recorded using Joliet or other ISSO 9660 compliant formats can be played, but file and folder names will not be displayed correctly. CD-ROM XA, Mixed Mode CD, Enhanced CD (CD-Extra) and multi-session recordings are supported, but recordings made using Track At Once or packet writing cannot be correctly played back. Discs containing both standard CD audio and MP3/WMA data can be played; the unit may be set to play only the CD audio tracks or both types of tracks. ID3 tag v1 and v2 are supported; track title, artist name and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed.
Disc and Station Titling: Titles of up to 8 characters in length may be entered for up to 24 radio stations and 18 CDs.
XM Radio Ready: An optional XM Satellite Radio tuner may be connected to, and controlled by, this unit. The optional tuner, along with an antenna and subscription, allows you to receive XM Satellite Radio. XM Satellite Radio programming features up to 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Auxiliary Input Ready: With the addition of the optional KCA-121B Ai-NET/RCA interface cable, the KCA-801B auxiliary input adapter, or the KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal, the audio from an auxiliary source can be played through this unit. When the KCA-121B interface cable is used, a CD changer cannot be connected to the head unit; the KCA-801B auxiliary input adapter allows you to connect an auxiliary source and an Ai-NET changer to the head unit. The KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal allows you to feed audio from up to two auxiliary sources and two Ai-NET CD changers to the head unit.
MobileHub Link: Using the MobileHub Link, you can connect an optional Junction Box and a Nokia 6310i tri-band GSM cellular phone, allowing you to control the incoming and outgoing calls from the head unit.
Amplifier Link: When an external Amplifier Link compatible amp is connected using the optional KCE-510M head unit interface, the amplifier settings are adjustable from the head unit. You can control the following settings: Input, Low-pass, Subsonic, P-EQ, Bass Comp, TCR, Phase, Turn-on Delay, and Output Disable. In addition, the head unit will display the following amplifier information: voltage, electric current, and temperature.
Note: The optional KCE-510M head unit interface allows you to connect up to 8 amplifiers to this head unit.
Power Off: When an external amplifier is connected and the built-in amplifier is not used, removing power from the built-in amplifier will improve the sound quality.
Compatibility: This unit is compatible with 6- and 12-disc Alpine Ai-NET CD changers; also, this unit can control Alpine Ai-NET CD/MP3 changers and DVD changers. Alpine M-Bus CD changers cannot be controlled by this unit.
Hard Disk Drive Player Compatible: The CDA-9831 is compatible with the Alpine HDA-5460 Hard Disk Drive player.
Multiple Changer Control: With the addition of an optional adapter, more than one CD changer can be controlled. One KCA-400C adapter will allow you to connect up to 4 CD changers, and two KCA-400C adapters will allow you to connect up to a total of 6 CD changers. The KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal can be used to connect up to two CD changers and two auxiliary audio sources.
Text Display: When connected to a text capable changer, this unit can display text data from CD Text encoded CDs and MP3 CDs.
Disc Titling: When connected to a CD changer with disc title memory, CD titles may be entered and displayed for discs played in the changer. The title length and title capacity varies depending on the model of CD changer used; titles cannot be input for MP3 discs.
Clock Operation: This unit allows you to choose "keyed" or "unit on" clock operation. When the clock has been given display priority and the unit is turned off, the clock will be displayed whenever the ignition key is in the "on" or "accessory" position. If the clock is not given display priority, the clock is not displayed when the unit is off.