About the Alpine CDE-123
Do you love PANDORA® Internet radio? You're not alone — millions of people enjoy creating their own stations and discovering new music with PANDORA®. Alpine makes it easy for you to take your stations on the road with the CDE-123 CD receiver. Just download a free app, connect your iPhone®, and you can dial in PANDORA® right from your dash. Dedicated "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" buttons let you rate songs on the fly so PANDORA® knows what songs to play for you. You can even create a new station right from the CDE-123 while something you like is playing.
Two USB inputs for maximum flexibility
Alpine gives you USB inputs on the front and rear of the CDE-123. That gives you all kinds of playback options — you could dedicate the rear output to your iPod, while leaving the front slot free for a thumb drive loaded with digital files. Or your friend can connect his iPod to the front input while yours remains attached to the rear input, then you can use the CDE-123 to cycle between players. With two inputs, you won't need to disconnect your iPod when someone else wants to play a song for you.
Add satellite radio
Put the endless entertainment of SiriusXM Satellite Radio at your fingertips with the low-profile SXV200 XM tuner. You can pause and rewind live broadcasts, and get a heads up when your favorite artists or teams are playing on another channel. And with an iPod connected, you can tag songs for purchasing later in the iTunes™ store.
Boost your power and add on to your system
Three sets of preamp outputs provide convenient connections for your amps and subs, and you can use the subwoofer level control to dial in the right amount of bass. Then dial in the right sound using the 3-band parametric EQ, or choose from one of the six preset options. One more cool feature — this receiver works with Alpine's Power Pack, a compact box that hooks up easily to your receiver, boosting its power from 18 watts up to a serious 45 watts RMS per channel.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Alpine stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Alpine, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- works with PANDORA® (iPhone and free app required)
- detachable face with 1-line display
- wireless remote-ready
- 3-band parametric EQ
- ten preset tone curves, plus one user curve
- works with SiriusXM XM satellite radio tuner, Bluetooth® adapter
- inputs: front and rear USB inputs, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel (4-volt front, rear, sub)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Face (attached)
- Hard plastic face case
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' USB cable (with a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 8" iPod connector cable (with an iPod dock connector on one end and a male USB type-A connector on other end)
- USB connector clamp (two-piece)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-DIN screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Face fixing screw
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- System Requirements (for CD-ROM)
- Customer Care Registration card
Alpine CDE-123 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine CDE-123
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Android Control||USB MSC/MTP protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Dual USB Ports: The Alpine CDE-123 features a front-panel and rear-panel USB (type-A) port, so you may connect two USB memory devices to this head unit - such as your USB thumbdrive, portable MP3 player, or mobile phone. A 6.5' USB extension cable is provided for the rear-panel USB port. You can connect two USB devices simultaneously and switch between the front and rear USB input. Only one connected device can be used at a time (music libraries are not combined). Your connected USB memory device may contain MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), or AAC (16-320 kbps) music files formatted in FAT 12/16/32. ID3 tags (v1, v2) and WMA tags are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3/WMA tag data can be displayed. The unit off the following USB playback controls.
- Bank Function: This unit has a "Bank" function that automatically divides every 1,000 songs stored on a USB memory device into individual banks to make searching and playing back a song easier. A maximum of 1,000 songs/100 folders for one bank can be stored according to the order stored in the USB memory device. A maximum of 20 banks (20,000 songs) can be recognized.
- File/Folder Search: You can search each stored "Bank" by file (tag info)/folder name or number.
- Category Search: You can also search each stored "Bank" of music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer.
- ABC Search: You search the contents in the above categories alphabetically (A-Z).
- USB Skip: You can skip forward/backward 1, 10, 20, 50, or 100 files/folders at one time within a stored "Bank".
- Repeat/Random: In addition, the head unit offers Repeat (File/Folder/Category) and Random (Folder/Category/All) playback modes for your USB memory device's stored music.
Note: You can only play back non-copy protected MP3/WMA/AAC files.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the head unit's front-panel or rear-panel USB port using the included iPod dock-connector cable to get access to all of your iPod/iPhone's stored music, right from the head unit. You can also use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the CDE-123. You can connect two iPods/iPhones at once and switch between the front and rear USB ports. Only one connected iPod/iPhone can be used at a time (music libraries are not combined).
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback (with DAC bypass): The Alpine CDE-123 supports audio playback of music, podcast, and audiobook files stored on your iPod or iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
iPod/iPhone Control: Once your iPod/iPhone is connected, you get convenient control of your iPod/iPhone from the head unit. You can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone or from its clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Music Browsing: The Alpine CDE-123 lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search these categories alphabetically. For especially big music libraries, the Percentage Search function uses the preset buttons for quick jumps to specific parts of the list (Preset 1: 0% to 16%, Preset 2: 17% to 32%, Preset 3: 33% to 49%, Preset 4: 50% to 66%, Preset 5: 67% to 82%, Preset 6: 83% to 100% of the song library).
- Shuffle: The head unit offers three Shuffle (Random) playback
- Shuffle Albums: songs in each album are played back in proper order; upon completion of all the songs in the album, the next album is selected randomly
- Shuffle Songs: randomly plays back songs within a selected category (playlist, artist, album, song, genre, composer.)
- Shuffle All: plays all songs on your iPod/iPhone randomly
- Repeat: A single song can be repeatedly played back.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Alpine CDE-123 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Alpine head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine CDE-123 using your connected Apple iPhone, via the included cable or your iPhone's iPod dock-connector cable. The Alpine CDE-123 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information (your iPhone's touchscreen will be locked). You can select Pandora stations from your station list, and skip song tracks within a station. You can also create QuickMix playlists based on two or more of your Pandora stations. You can even give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. In addition, you can create a new station based on a currently playing song or artist. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Alpine CDE-123 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The unit is equipped with a front-panel minijack (3.5mm) auxiliary input. You can input audio from a auxiliary source unit - such as a portable MP3 player. You can change the name on the display to match the type of device connected to the front panel input; Auxiliary, TV, DVD, Portable, or Game. You can adjust the unit's auxiliary input gain level (Low/High) to match the relative volume output of your other connected sources.
AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine CDE-123 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically.
Local/Distance Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. Distance seek tuning allows both strong and weak stations to be tuned.
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine CDE-123 comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- iTunes Tagging for your connected iPod or iPhone
- Game Alert to notify when your favorite team is playing;
- Song Alert to notify you when your favorite song is playing (feature available in June 2011)
- Replay so you can pause, fast-forward, or rewind up to 30 minutes of live content
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on XM Network. If you already have a Sirius Satellite Radio subscription, this radio can not be added as a discounted second unit. If you have an existing XM Satellite Radio subscription, you can add this unit as a discounted second unit.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Preset EQ: You can select from 10 different EQ presets to get the best sound from all your sources. You can choose from Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz, Electric Dance, Hip-Hop, Easy Listening, Country, or Classical.
3-Band Parametric Equalizer: If the Equalizer presets aren't enough for your listening taste, there's a 3-Band Parametric Equalizer you can adjust for a better sound response curve. Bass, Mid, & Treble can be adjusted in the 3-Band Parametric mode.
- Treble Control:
- Center Frequency: 7.5kHz, 10kHz (default), 12.5kHz, or 15kHz
- Width Q: Wide 0.75 or Narrow 1.25
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
- Midrange Control:
- Center Frequency: 500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5kHz, or 2.5kHz
- Width Q: Wide 0.75, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.25, or Narrow 1.5
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
- Bass Control:
- Center Frequency: 60Hz, 80Hz (default), 100Hz, or 120Hz
- Width Q: Wide 0.5, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.5, or Narrow. 2.0
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
Loudness: Loudness introduces a special low and high frequency emphasis at low listening levels to compensate for the ear's decreased sensitivity to bass and treble sound at low volume. There are three loudness settings (1, 2, & Off).
4V/6CH Pre-out: The CDE-123 has 3-sets (Front/Rear/Sub) of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Note: When an external amplifier is connected sound quality can be improved by stopping the power supply of the built-in amplifier.
Subwoofer Control: You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume and low-pass filter.
- Volume: There are two
volume (system) modes for the unit's subwoofer preamp output.
- System 1: Subwoofer level changes according to the main volume setting.
- System 2: Subwoofer level change is different from the main volume setting (0-15); even at low volume settings, the subwoofer is still audible.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level outputs and front/rear preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
Audio Mute: Activating the Audio Mute function will instantly lower the volume level by 20 dB.
Interrupt Feature: When a device having the interrupt feature (such as a cellular telephone) is connected to the receiver, the audio signal will be automatically muted whenever the interrupt signal is received from the device. The supplied wiring harness contains a pink/black Interrupt lead that needs to be connected to the device's interrupt signal connection.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: This unit can play CD-R and CD-RW discs containing MP3, WMA, and AAC files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats. MP3 files with bit rates from 8-320 kbps, WMA files with bit rates from 48-192 kbps, and AAC files with bit rates from 16-320 kbps are supported. Variable bit rates are also compatible. Up to a maximum of 255 folders and a maximum 510 files can be read from one disc. ID3 tags (v1, v2) and WMA tags are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3/WMA tag data can be displayed.
Text/File/Folder Quick Search: When you are playing a disc with CD Text, ID3, or WMA tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the rotary encoder to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs without CD Text, ID3 or WMA tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
Playback Modes: The Alpine CDA-123 offers Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Repeat Play (repeats playback of current track/file), Folder Repeat (repeats only files in current folder).
- Random: Random Play (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Folder Random (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Angle Mounting: For proper CD playback, Alpine recommends mounting the CDE-123 no more that 35° above horizontal.
Detachable Face: The unit features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. The CD player comes supplied with a hard plastic face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can also be purchased for this unit.
1-Line LCD Display: This unit is equipped with a 1-Line white-backlit LCD, so you can easily view AM/FM stations, CD-Text, and ID-3/WMA tag information.
Text Display: Text information, such as the disc name and the track name, will be displayed if playing a CD text compatible disc. It is also possible to display the folder name, the file name, and the tag information, while playing a MP3/WMA/AAC disc.
Text Scroll: This unit can scroll the disc and track names recorded on CD-Text disc, as well as the text information of MP3/WMA/AAC files, folder names, and tags. There are two Text Scroll settings.
- Auto: The CD text information, the information of folder and file names, and the tags are scrolled automatically.
- Manual: The display is scrolled when a disc is loaded or when a track is changed.
Favorite Button: You can set a favorite source to the head unit's front-panel "FAV" button. Once your favorite source has been set, you can switch to that favorite source directly be pressing the "FAV" button. You can select between one of the following sources as your Favorite - Pandora, FM1, FM2, AM, AUX, Disc, or USB.
Dimmer: This unit is equipped with an orange/white illumination lead. When the unit's dimmer mode is set to Auto and the illumination lead is connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display and button illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the Manual dimmer mode setting, so the display and button illumination is dim at all times.
Bluetooth Interface Ready: This unit is Bluetooth ready so you can add the optional Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth adapter (500KCE400B, sold separately) to pair up your cell phone with the head unit. Now, you can make and take phone calls conveniently, hands-free. You will be able to view caller information including caller ID, missed, dialed, and received calls right from the head unit's display. You will use the microphone supplied with the optional KCE-400BT to speak, and then listen through your car's speakers. You can even set up your cell phone/head unit to automatically answer your calls. With select compatible phones with streaming audio capability, you can listen to music stored on your phone and have it stream through your Alpine system.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine CDE-123 is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RUE4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's functions.