About the Alpine CDE-124SXM
If you spend lots of time in your car, SiriusXM Satellite Radio is just what the doctor ordered. Alpine's CDE-124SXM CD receiver comes with the compact SXV100 XM tuner, so you'll have access to over 130 XM channels, including dozens that play music commercial-free. You'll be able to tune into news, sports, and talk, plus exclusive live concerts. No matter what you're in the mood for, chances are SiriusXM has something you'll like. And you can dial in the same stations from coast to coast (and even up to 200 miles offshore — we recommend a boat out there).
Unlike the tuner and adapter cable from the past, the SXV100 sports a small profile, and connects directly to the CDE-124SXM for a straightforward installation. Once connected, you can pause and rewind live broadcasts, plus get a heads up when your favorite artists or teams are playing on another channel. And with an iPod connected, you can tag songs for purchasing later in the iTunes™ store. A XM subscription is required.
Bring your PANDORA® Internet radio stations with you
PANDORA® is a great way to enjoy music, and the CDE-124SXM lets you play it in your car. First, you need to download a free PANDORA® iPhone app. Once your iPhone's connected to the USB input, you can select PANDORA® as a source and use the receiver's controls to navigate your stations. You can rate songs on the fly with the dedicated "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" buttons so that PANDORA® knows what music to play for you. You can even create a new station right from the CDE-124SXM while something you like is playing.
Play your other music, too
Of course, you can play all your CDs, including discs you've loaded with MP3 files. You can also load your files on a USB thumb drive, then pop it in the front USB input. The front auxiliary input comes in handy for connecting another portable player.
Boost the power, build a system
A set of preamp outputs provides a convenient connection for an amp or a powered sub, and you can use the subwoofer level control to dial in the right amount of bass. Use the 3-band parametric EQ to adjust the sound in your vehicle, or choose from one of the six preset options. One more cool feature — this receiver works with Alpine's Power Pack, a compact box that hooks up easily to your receiver, boosting its power from 18 watts up to a serious 45 watts RMS per channel.
If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- included XM tuner (XM subscription required)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3 music files
- works with PANDORA® (iPhone and free app required)
- detachable face with 1-line display
- wireless remote-ready
- 3-band parametric EQ
- six preset tone curves
- inputs: front USB and auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 2-channel (2-volt subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Face (attached)
- Hard plastic face case
- Wiring harness
- SiriusXM Connect tuner module (SXV100)
- SiriusXM Antenna (with attached 23' cable terminate by a right-angle SMB connector)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-DIN screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Face fixing screw
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Rubber wedge
- Alcohol Prep Pad
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- System Requirements (for CD-ROM)
- Customer Care Registration card
- SiriusXM Connect Installation Guide
- SiriusXM Listener Care Phone Number
- Online Channel Lineup note
Alpine CDE-124SXM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine CDE-124SXM
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Android Control||USB MSC protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
SiriusXM Tuner Included: The Alpine CDE-124SXM comes ready for SiriusXM, thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port and the included SiriusXM Tuner module (SXV100) and antenna. You can receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Here is a partial list of available channels - Howard Stern, Oprah, NFL, NASCAR, ESPN, Elvis Radio, Foxxhole, HairNation, Fox News, CNN, and many more. Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options & channel guide. Additional features you get with the SXV100 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Text Display: Text information, such as the channel name, artist name, feature and song/program title is displayed on the in-dash receiver.
- Search Function: You can search for SiriusXM programming content by Category or by Channel.
- SiriusXM Presets: The Alpine CDE-124SXM feature 3 Satellite Radio preset bands. You can store 6 SiriusXM stations to each preset band (a total of 18).
- Jump Recall: You can save your absolute favorite radio station and access it with the press of a single button for easy recall.
- Instant Replay: The CDE-124SXM supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 30 minutes of live content. Listen to your favorite programming over again.
- Game Alert: GameAlert that will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Song/Artist Alert: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. (Feature available in June 2011)
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone. The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes. When you hear a song you like, simply press and hold down the Volume button for two seconds on the CDE-124SXM.
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on XM Network. If you already have a Sirius Satellite Radio subscription, this radio can not be added as a discounted second unit. If you have an existing XM Satellite Radio subscription, you can add this unit as a discounted second unit.
SiriusXM Antenna: The Alpine CDE-124SXM also includes the SiriusXM antenna (model # XVANT1). The included SiriusXM antenna plugs into the SMB connector on the SiriusXM Tuner module. The antenna features a magnetic base and a 23' cable.
AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine CDE-124SXM features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically.
Local/Distance Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. Distance seek tuning allows both strong and weak stations to be tuned.
USB Port: The Alpine CDE-124SXM features a front-panel USB type-A port, so you may connect a USB memory device to this head unit. Your connected USB memory device may contain MP3 (8-320 kbps) music files formatted in FAT 12/16/32. ID3 tags (v1, v2) are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed. The unit off the following USB playback controls.
- Bank Function: This unit has a "Bank" function that automatically divides every 1,000 songs stored on a USB memory device into individual banks to make searching and playing back a song easier. A maximum of 1,000 songs/100 folders for one bank can be stored according to the order stored in the USB memory device. A maximum of 20 banks (20,000 songs) can be recognized.
- File/Folder Search: You can search each stored "Bank" by file (tag info)/folder name or number.
- Category Search: You can also search each stored "Bank" of music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer.
- ABC Search: You search the contents in the above categories alphabetically (A-Z).
- USB Skip: You can skip forward/backward 1, 10, 20, 50, or 100 files/folders at one time within a stored "Bank".
- Repeat/Random: In addition, the head unit offers Repeat (File/Folder/Category) and Random (Folder/Category/All) playback modes for your USB memory device's stored music.
Note: Not compatible with WMA/AAC files.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the head unit's front-panel USB port using the Alpine KCU-440i iPod/iPhone cable (500KCU440I, sold separately) or the iPod dock-connector cable which came with your iPod/iPhone to get access to all of your iPod/iPhone's stored music, right from the head unit. The Alpine CDE-124SXM offers audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback (with DAC bypass): The Alpine CDE-124SXM supports audio playback of music, podcast, and audiobook files stored on your iPod or iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
iPod/iPhone Control: Once your iPod/iPhone is connected, you get convenient control of your iPod/iPhone from the head unit. You can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone or from its clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Music Browsing: The Alpine CDE-124SXM lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search these categories alphabetically. For especially big music libraries, the Percentage Search function uses the preset buttons for quick jumps to specific parts of the list (Preset 1: 0% to 16%, Preset 2: 17% to 32%, Preset 3: 33% to 49%, Preset 4: 50% to 66%, Preset 5: 67% to 82%, Preset 6: 83% to 100% of the song library).
- Shuffle: The head unit offers three Shuffle (Random)
- Shuffle Albums: songs in each album are played back in proper order; upon completion of all the songs in the album, the next album is selected randomly
- Shuffle Songs: randomly plays back songs within a selected category (playlist, artist, album, song, genre, composer.)
- Shuffle All: plays all songs on your iPod/iPhone randomly
- Repeat: A single song can be repeatedly played back.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Alpine CDE-124SXM will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Alpine head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine CDE-124SXM using your connected Apple iPhone, via your iPhone's included iPod dock-connector cable. The Alpine CDE-124SXM provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information (your iPhone's touchscreen will be locked). You can select Pandora stations from your station list, and skip song tracks within a station. You can also create QuickMix playlists based on two or more of your Pandora stations. You can even give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. In addition, you can create a new station based on a currently playing song or artist. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Alpine CDE-124SXM is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The unit is equipped with a front-panel minijack (3.5mm) auxiliary input. You can input audio from a auxiliary source unit - such as a portable MP3 player. You can change the name on the display to match the type of device connected to the front panel input; Auxiliary, TV, DVD, Portable, or Game. You can adjust the unit's auxiliary input gain level (Low/High) to match the relative volume output of your other connected sources.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play CD-R and CD-RW discs containing MP3 audio files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats. MP3 files with bit rates from 8-320 kbps are supported. Variable bit rates are also compatible. Up to a maximum of 255 folders and a maximum 510 files can be read from one disc. ID3 tags (v1/v2) are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed.
Text/File/Folder Quick Search: When you are playing a disc with CD Text orID3-tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the rotary encoder to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs without CD Text or ID3-tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
Playback Modes: The Alpine CDE-124SXM offers Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Repeat Play (repeats playback of current track/file), Folder Repeat (repeats only files in current folder).
- Random: Random Play (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Folder Random (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Angle Mounting: For proper CD playback, Alpine recommends mounting the CDE-124SXM no more that 35° above horizontal.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Power Pack Ready: You can also add-on Alpine's KTP-445 Power Pack (500KTP445, sold separately) to instantly increase the head unit's power to a true 45-watts x 4-channel (RMS). The Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack connects between the Alpine head unit and its supplied wiring harness.
Note: When an external amplifier is connected sound quality can be improved by stopping the power supply of the built-in amplifier.
Preset EQ: You can select from 10 different EQ presets to get the best sound from all your sources. You can choose from Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz, Electric Dance, Hip-Hop, Easy Listening, Country, or Classical.
3-Band Parametric Equalizer: If the Equalizer presets aren't enough for your listening taste, there's a 3-Band Parametric Equalizer you can adjust for a better sound response curve. Bass, Mid, & Treble can be adjusted in the 3-Band Parametric mode.
- Treble Control:
- Center Frequency: 7.5kHz, 10kHz (default), 12.5kHz, or 15kHz
- Width Q: Wide 0.75 or Narrow 1.25
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
- Midrange Control:
- Center Frequency: 500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5kHz, or 2.5kHz
- Width Q: Wide 0.75, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.25, or Narrow 1.5
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
- Bass Control:
- Center Frequency: 60Hz, 80Hz (default), 100Hz, or 120Hz
- Width Q: Wide 0.5, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.5, or Narrow. 2.0
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
Loudness: Loudness introduces a special low and high frequency emphasis at low listening levels to compensate for the ear's decreased sensitivity to bass and treble sound at low volume. There are three loudness settings (1, 2, & Off).
Switchable Preamp Output: The unit is equipped with a 2V Front/SW preamp output, which can be set to either a fading front-channel preamp output or a non-fading subwoofer preamp output.
Subwoofer Control: When the non-fading subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can adjust the subwoofer's volume and low-pass filter.
- Volume: There are two volume (system) modes for the
unit's subwoofer output.
- System 1: Subwoofer level changes according to the main volume setting.
- System 2: Subwoofer level change is different from the main volume setting (0-15); even at low volume settings, the subwoofer is still audible.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level outputs and front/rear preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
Audio Mute: Activating the Audio Mute function will instantly lower the volume level by 20 dB.
Interrupt Feature: When a device having the interrupt feature (such as a cellular telephone) is connected to the receiver, the audio signal will be automatically muted whenever the interrupt signal is received from the device. The supplied wiring harness contains a pink/black Interrupt lead that needs to be connected to the device's interrupt signal connection.
Detachable Face: The unit features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. The CD player comes supplied with a hard plastic face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can also be purchased for this unit.
1-Line LCD Display: This unit is equipped with a 1-Line white-backlit LCD, so you can easily view AM/FM stations, CD-Text, and ID-3 tag information.
Text Display: Text information, such as the disc name and the track name, will be displayed if playing a CD text compatible disc. It is also possible to display the folder name, the file name, and the tag information, while playing a MP3 disc.
Text Scroll: This unit can scroll the disc and track names recorded on CD-Text disc, as well as the text information of MP3 files, folder names, and tags. There are two Text Scroll settings.
- Auto: The CD text information, the information of folder and file names, and the tags are scrolled automatically.
- Manual: The display is scrolled when a disc is loaded or when a track is changed.
Favorite Button: You can set a favorite source to the head unit's front-panel "FAV" button. Once your favorite source has been set, you can switch to that favorite source directly be pressing the "FAV" button. You can select between one of the following sources as your Favorite - Pandora, FM1, FM2, AM, AUX, Disc, or USB.
Dimmer: This unit is equipped with an orange/white illumination lead. When the unit's dimmer mode is set to Auto and the illumination lead is connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display and button illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the Manual dimmer mode setting, so the display and button illumination is dim at all times.
Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine CDE-124SXM is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RUE4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's functions.
The Alpine CDE-124SXM replaces these items
- MP3, WMA, AAC playback
- USB input with built-in iPod control
- iTunes tagging-ready
- MP3, WMA, AAC playback
- digital signal processor for detailed sound tuning
- compatible with Alpine Bluetooth and iPod adapters
- MP3, WMA, AAC playback
- 2-line BioLite display
- includes Alpine's KCE-422i iPod® adapter