About the Alpine CDE-134HD
Ride with HD Radio™
Ride with HD Radio™
Alpine designed the CDE-134HD CD receiver for all you AM/FM radio lovers. Its built-in HD Radio tuner lets you dial in digital HD Radio broadcasts to get FM that sounds almost as good as a CD, and AM that sounds like traditional FM — a huge leap forward in sound quality. Plus HD Radio stations can take advantage of multicasting, which lets them broadcast multiple channels on the same frequency — giving you more listening options.
Great for your iPod® and iPhone®
Plug in your player to the front-panel USB input, and you can use the CDE-134HD's controls to navigate your iPod's music library. The person riding shotgun will love Passenger Control Mode, which lets them play DJ while you focus on driving. While your iPod's connected and you've got an HD Radio broadcast tuned in, you can "tag" songs you hear for later purchasing from the iTunes® store.
Awesome sound quality
And as always, you can count on Alpine to deliver great sound quality. You can adjust your sound to taste with one of the ten equalizer presets or by using the 3-band parametric EQ. Into power? This receiver works with Alpine's KTP-445A Power Pack, a plug-in amplifier that sends 45 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers.
If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- 3-band parametric equalizer with ten presets
- high-pass filter (speaker/preamp outputs) and low-pass filter (preamp outputs)
- inputs: front USB port, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt switchable front/subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver (with 10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Face (attached)
- Wiring harness
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Hard plastic face case
- 4 Flat-head ISO-DIN screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face-fixing screw
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- System Requirements (for CD-ROM)
- Online Product Registration card
Alpine CDE-134HD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine CDE-134HD
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the display of the Alpine CDE-134HD.
Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs.
Note: Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically.
Note: Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search.
Seek Mode: You can search for only digital AM/FM stations (Digital mode), or both analog & digital AM/FM stations (Hybrid mode).
Listening Modes: The head unit provides four reception methods in order to receive Digital & Analog AM/FM signals according to your own preference and signal strength.
- Hybrid: Receives both digital and analog stations. If the digital signal is weak, this mode will switch to receive the analog radio signal automatically.
- Digital: Receives only digital radio signals, even when the digital signal is weak.
- Digital MC: Receives the digital radio signal while listening to a sub-program service of a multicast station.
- Analog: Only receives the analog radio signal, even when the digital signal is strong.
Live Mode: While receiving a live AM/FM broadcast, you can select an optimized receiving method according to your own preference and the signal strength.
- Analog: While receiving a live broadcast, this unit will only receive the analog radio signal even when the digital signal can be received.
- Digital: While receiving a live broadcast, this unit will keep receiving the digital radio signal even when the digital signal is week.
- Listen: While receiving a live broadcast, this unit will use one of the Listening Modes (Hybrid, Digital, Digital MC, or Analog).
FM Tone Quality: You can set your preferred tonal quality, when listening to FM analog radio stations. You can choose between HiFi (high-quality sound), Normal (standard setting), or Stable (noise control).
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play CD-R and CD-RW discs containing MP3 audio files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats. MP3 files with bit rates from 8-320 kbps are supported. Variable bit rates are also compatible. Up to a maximum of 255 folders & a maximum 510 files can be read from one disc. ID3 tags (v1, v2) are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed.
Note: The head unit does not support WMA/AAC file playback.
Text/File/Folder Quick Search: When you are playing a disc with CD Text or ID3 tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the rotary encoder to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs without CD Text or ID3 tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
Playback Modes: The Alpine CDE-134HD offers Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Repeat Play (repeats playback of current track/file), Folder Repeat (repeats only files in current folder).
- Random: Random Play (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Folder Random (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Angle Mounting: For proper CD playback, Alpine recommends mounting the CDE-134HD no more that 35° above horizontal.
USB Port: The Alpine CDE-134HD features a front-panel USB type-A port, so you may connect a USB MSC or MTP device; such as select Android smartphones, portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. Your connected USB memory device may contain MP3 (8-320 kbps) music files formatted in FAT 12/16/32. ID3 tags (v1, v2) are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed. This unit will recognized up to 100 folders and 100 files per folder. You can use the head unit's Quick Search (text/file/folder) function to browse your USB device's music library. Repeat (file/folder) & Random (all/folder) playback functions are also supported. Your USB memory device's control will be locked once connected to the Alpine head unit. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The head unit's USB port is not compatible with WMA/AAC files.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the head unit's front-panel USB port using the Alpine KCU-445i iPod/iPhone cable (500KCU445I, sold separately) or the iPod dock-connector cable which came with your iPod/iPhone to get access to all of your iPod/iPhone's stored music, right from the head unit. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. The Alpine CDE-134HD offers audio playback, music navigation, information display, & charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback (with DAC bypass): The Alpine CDE-134HD supports audio playback of music, podcast, and audiobook files stored on your iPod or iPhone; as well as music apps streamed to your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
iPod/iPhone Control: Once your iPod/iPhone is connected, you get convenient control of your iPod/iPhone's music library from the head unit. You can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Head Unit: The Alpine CDE-134HD lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically (A-Z). For especially big music libraries, the Percentage Search function uses the head unit's preset buttons for quick jumps to specific parts of the a Category (Preset 1: 0% to 16%, Preset 2: 17% to 32%, Preset 3: 33% to 49%, Preset 4: 50% to 66%, Preset 5: 67% to 82%, Preset 6: 83% to 100% of the song library). The head unit also offers three Shuffle playback functions (All/Album/Category) and Repeat playback function (song).
- iPod Passenger Control: In iPod Passenger Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You can also listen to your favorite music apps (such as Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker) from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Alpine head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate your apps. Not all apps will be compatible.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Alpine CDE-134HD will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information in Head Unit or iPod Passenger Control mode. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, & Album label. The unit will not display music app information.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Alpine CDE-134HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/19/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The unit is equipped with front-panel minijack (3.5mm) auxiliary input. You can input audio from an auxiliary source unit, such as a portable MP3 player. You can turn the Auxiliary Input on or off. You can also change the name on the display to match the type of device connected to the front panel input; Auxiliary, TV, DVD, Portable, or Game.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Head Unit Power Pack (optional): Add the KTP-445A (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine CD receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
Preset EQ: You can select from 10 different EQ presets to get the best sound from all your sources. You can choose from Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz, Electric Dance, Hip-Hop, Easy Listening, Country, or Classical.
3-Band Parametric Equalizer: If the Equalizer presets aren't enough for your listening taste, there's a 3-Band Parametric Equalizer you can adjust for a better sound response curve. Bass, Mid, & Treble can be adjusted in the 3-Band Parametric mode.
- Treble Control:
- Center Frequency: 7.5kHz, 10kHz (default), 12.5kHz, or 15kHz
- Width Q: Wide 0.75 or Narrow 1.25
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
- Midrange Control:
- Center Frequency: 500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5kHz, or 2.5kHz
- Width Q: Wide 0.75, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.25, or Narrow 1.5
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
- Bass Control:
- Center Frequency: 60Hz, 80Hz (default), 100Hz, or 120Hz
- Width Q: Wide 0.5, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.5, or Narrow. 2.0
- Level: -7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)
Loudness: Loudness introduces a special low & high frequency emphasis at low listening levels to compensate for the ear's decreased sensitivity to bass and treble sound at low volume.
Switchable Preamp Output: The unit is equipped with Front/SW preamp output, which can be set to either a fading front-channel preamp output or a non-fading subwoofer preamp output.
Subwoofer Control: When the non-fading subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can adjust the subwoofer's volume, low-pass filter, & phase.
- Volume: There are two volume (system) modes for the
unit's subwoofer output.
- System 1: Subwoofer level changes according to the main volume setting.
- System 2: Subwoofer level change is different from the main volume setting (0-15); even at low volume settings, the subwoofer is still audible.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
- Subwoofer Phase: The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front-channel preamp output (when activated). You can set the unit's high-pass filter to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
Source Volume Level: The output level of each source is individually adjustable from -5 to + 5 dB.
Detachable Face: The unit features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. The CD player comes supplied with a hard plastic face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can also be purchased for this unit.
1-Line LCD Display: This unit is equipped with a 1-Line white-backlit LCD, so you can easily view AM/FM stations, CD-Text, & ID-3 tag information.
Text Display: Text information, such as the disc name and the track name, will be displayed if playing a CD text compatible disc. It is also possible to display the folder name, the file name, & the tag information, while playing a MP3 disc or USB memory device.
Text Scroll: This unit can scroll the disc & track names recorded on CD-Text disc, as well as the text information of MP3 files, folder names, and tags. There are two Text Scroll settings.
- Auto: The CD text information, the information of folder and file names, and the tags are scrolled automatically.
- Manual: The display is scrolled when a disc is loaded or when a track is changed.
Auto Dimmer: This unit is equipped with an illumination lead; when the unit's dimmer mode is set to Auto and the illumination lead is connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display and button illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the Manual dimmer mode setting, so the display and button illumination is dim at all times.
Favorite Button: You can set a favorite source to the head unit's front-panel "FAV" button. Once your favorite source has been set, you can switch to that favorite source directly be pressing the "FAV" button. You can select between one of the following sources as your Favorite; FM1, FM2, AM, AUX, Disc, or USB.
Demo Mode: This unit has a demonstration feature for its display which can be turned On or Off in the menu.
Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine CDE-134HD is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RUE4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's functions.
13 questions already asked