About the Alpine HDA-5460
If you're into massive musical options, check out Alpine's HDA-5460 hard disc drive player! This amazing in-dash player features a removable 16-gigabyte hard drive, which can store up to 3,000 songs in MP3, WMA, and WAV file formats. The unit's Quick Search controls locate your tunes quickly, and the black-and-white BioLite display makes it easy to see your artist and song info, even in bright sunlight.
The package includes software for organizing your digital music files; just create playlists in your computer and download them into the portable hard drive. Activate the DJ Playback feature, and select one of up to 10 different musical categories. The DJ selects songs at random from the category and announces them with pre-recorded music and patter. The Music Vizualizer offers video graphics to complement your tunes.
The HDA-5460 can be paired with an Alpine changer-controlling receiver using its Ai-Net connection; it can also operate as a stand-alone digital music player, with one set of preamp outputs that can be connected to any in-dash receiver with an auxiliary input. You can install the HDA-5460 below your receiver if your vehicle has a double-DIN dash opening (the 4" tall opening common in Japanese cars), or you can custom-mount it in a convenient remote location. The unit's face can be removed to protect against theft.
- in-dash player with removable 16-gigabyte hard drive
- plays MP3, WMA, and WAV files
- black and white BioLite display for high visibility of song info
- Quick Search controls for easy navigation through music files
- operates in tandem with an Alpine receiver (Ai-Net connection) or as a stand-alone unit (preamp outputs send signal to your in-dash receiver's auxiliary inputs)
- can be installed in a double-DIN dash opening, or custom-mounted in a remote location
- software included for organizing and downloading music files (USB interface)
- DJ Playback: offers random play within a genre with music clips and announcements
- chassis size: 7-7/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 7-5/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HDA5460
What's in the box:
- In-dash add-on hard disk drive music player with attached 19" power/ground harness and in-line fuse holder (includes 7.5A mini-fuse)
- Removable 16GB hard disk drive (inserted in player)
- Detachable face plate
- Trim ring
- AC Switching Adapter with attached 7' DC output cord (DC output: 7.5V/2.0A)
- Detachable face carrying pouch
- 6.5' Ai-Net cable
- 42" USB cable (with USB-A connector and a Mini USB Ver.2.0 connector on the other end)
- 27" Audio patch cord (with gold-plated RCA plugs on each end)
- Ferrite-core noise filter
- 4 Countersink ISO-DIN screws
- MMDriver Ver.1.04 CD-ROM software for Windows (in clear jewel case)
- Owner's Manual
- Manual to Install MMDriver
- Declaration of Conformity
- "To Customers" note concerning MMDriver software and Windows XP
- Note concerning genre tags
- Customer Care registration card
Alpine HDA-5460 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine HDA-5460
Product Overview: The Alpine HDA-5460 is an add-on, DIN-sized hard disk drive music player with a removable 16GB HDD. It can play MP3, WMA, and WAV files. The player can be controlled by an Alpine Ai-NET-compatible receiver, or it can be used as an add-on unit with any head unit that has audio input connections.
16GB Hard Disk Drive: The removable 16GB hard disk drive can store up to approximately 3000 MP3 or WMA songs, and also plays back WAV files. In addition to the I/O connector (which docks the HDD to the player), the HDD has a Mini USB Version 2.0 connector to enable you to connect it to your computer for downloading music files, and a jack for the supplied AC adapter. HDD Dimensions: W=3.539", H=0.974", D=5.164". Note: The HDD's USB jack is compatible with USB version 1.1 only.
MP3/WMA Playback: The unit can play MP3 and WMA files with sampling rates of 48kHz, 44.1kHz, and 32kHz. Compatible bit rates for MP3 are 64 to 320 kbps, and for WMA are 64 to 192 kbps. ID3 tags (ver. 1 and 2) and WMA tags, including song titles, artist names, album names, and genre, are supported.
BioLite Display: The HDA-5460 features a BioLite display, a high-resolution black and white motion display that's always sharp and clear. Biochemical luminescent technology makes it highly visible from a wider angle than normal displays, and it presents a selection of animated moving graphics to use a background visuals. The display is 3-1/8" x 15/16".
Music Visualizer and Display Patterns: The Display button on the faceplate lets you cycle through eight display patterns:
- Main Display: A five-line text display showing "HDD", "Album", "Artist", "Song", and a line with the elapsed time, sampling frequency, and recorded bit rate
- Main Display + Screen Saver: Same as the main display with a small window showing the screen saver display
- Screen Saver Display: Simulates passing overhead clouds with a small window in the lower right corner superimposing text with alternating album name/artist name/song title over the screen saver.
- Visualizer Display 1: Called "Lightning", the display simulates lightning passing between four "electrical contacts" with text with alternating album name/artist name/song title superimposed along the center bottom of the display.
- Visualizer Display 2: Called "Globe", the display shows six orbiting spheres rotating around a flashing background. Text alternating the album name/artist name/song title is superimposed in the lower right corner.
- Visualizer Display 3: Called "Flash", the display shows quickly changing random patterns with text alternating the album name/artist name/song title is superimposed in the lower right corner.
- Spectrum Analyzer Display: The display features 27 vertical audio bands with the text alternating the album name/artist name/song title along the bottom row of the display.
- Off: You can turn off the display altogether if desired.
Quick Search Options: In order for you to keep up with as many as 3000 songs, the unit has a powerful quick search feature with multiple search options. You can search all of the music files by three categories: Album Name, Artist Name, or Song Title. Once you have chosen a search category, you can turn the rotary encoder in either direction to sort through an alphabetical listing of the selections within that category. When the desired selection is located, pressing the rotary encoder starts playback of the highlighted selection.
Playlists: You can prepare a list of song files you want to hear ahead of time on your computer and load them onto the hard disk drive. Once you have loaded all of your playlists, you can search for the particular playlist you want to hear as you would search by Album, Artist, or Title.
My DJ Function (Genre Selection Playback): You can have the player automatically choose and play song files by genre with the "My DJ" function. In the menu, you can select "My DJ", then turn the rotary encoder to choose the desired music genre. In addition, a genre-specific DJ voice file (in 10 categories) "announces" each song. The genre tags are found in the ID3 tags of MP3 and WMA files. Note: The "DJ Sound" can be turned off if no announcer sounds are desired.
Playback Modes: You can choose one of three playback modes:
- Repeat: You can repeat all files listed under an artist, all files in an album, or all song files.
- M.I.X. (Random): You can randomly play all files listed under an artist, all files in an albums, or all song files
- Scan: You can play the first 10 seconds of each file in an album, under an artist, or all song files.
Beep Tones: Each press of a button is confirmed with an audible beep tone. The tones can be turned off in the menu if desired.
i-Personalize Operation: You can access audio setup data for various automobiles and systems from the Alpine owner website and load it onto the HDD. When the HDD is connected to the Alpine CDA-9815 i-Personalize-equipped receiver, the data can be uploaded from the HDD into the receiver. i-Personalize data includes Parametric EQ data, Crossover data, and Time Correction data. Note: The i-Personalize Operation is only possible when the HDD is connected to the CDA-9815.
Ai-NET/Stand Alone Operation: The HDA-5460 can be controlled by an Alpine Ai-NET head unit or manually controlled when connected to a non-Ai-NET head unit. A switch, located on the bottom of the HDD player, can be set to the desired operation. When connected to an Ai-NET receiver, you need only connect the Ai-NET cable and power/ground wires. The HDD is turned on/off by the receiver. When used as a stand alone unit, you will need to connect the RCA audio outputs and the power/ground wires. The HDD turns on with a press of any of the main buttons or levers, and turns off by holding in the power button for at least two seconds.
Supplied Software: The HDA-5460 comes equipped with MMDriver Version 1.04 CD-ROM software. The software contains music management software that allows you to create and download MP3/WMA/WAV files, organize and playback files, and upload tracks to the hard disk drive so you can take it to your vehicle and listen for hours. You can also create and edit ID3 tags, and create and save playlists.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 SE or later
- CPU: Pentium-class CPU or higher
- RAM: 64MB or more (128MB recommended)
- Available Hard Disk Capacity: Minimum 20GB (additional storage required for music files as well)
- Drive: CD-ROM or CD-R/CD-RW drive
- Sound Card
- USB Port: USB version 1.1 compatible
- Display: Color monitor or display panel (with a minimum area/resolution of 800 x 600)
- Internet Connection: An Internet connection is required to take advantage of Gracenote CDDB Music Recognition Service (for CD track/title information).
HDD Connections: When uploading files to the hard disk drive, the removable 16GB HDD should be connected to the computer via the supplied USB cable, and to AC power with the supplied AC adapter. A ferrite core is included for filtering out noise on the AC adapter cord.
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz-20 kHz (+/-0.5dB)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 95dB
- Preamp Output Voltage: 850mV / 10 k ohms
- Weight: 3 pounds, 5 ounces
Connections: The unit has a hardwired constant and switched power and ground harness and a female Ai-NET jack on a 9" pigtail for connecting to an Alpine Ai-NET head unit. There is a second, flush-mounted Ai-NET jack on the back panel, which allows you to daisy-chain an Ai-NET CD changer. One of the two sets of stereo RCA jacks provides an output for the HDD signal for connection to a receiver's aux input. The other set of RCA jacks is an input, used with an Ai-NET receiver, for passing through a preamp signal from the head unit to an amplifier.
Installation: The HDA-5460 is a DIN-sized unit, which can be installed in-dash along with a compatible Alpine Ai-NET receiver, or a non-Ai-NET receiver with an auxiliary input. The unit can be installed in a "Size E" (Euro-DIN) with the supplied sleeve, or "Size I" (ISO-DIN) dash opening, either in a separate 2" tall opening, or combined with the head unit in a Double-DIN (4" tall) opening using the vehicle's existing ISO-DIN brackets. The unit's dimensions are as follows:
|Dimensions|| Size E |
| Size I |
|Chassis Depth||without RCAs||6.556"||6.523"|
Important Note: The HDA-5460 has no tuner, tape mechanism, CD drive or amplifier, and has no volume control. For proper operation, it must be connected to a head unit capable of inputting the HDD's audio signal (via Ai-NET or aux input).