About the Alpine Restyle i509-WRA-JL
Your JL or JT deserves a top-of-the-line Alpine
Your JL or JT deserves a top-of-the-line Alpine
Alpine's long been synonymous with first-class automotive audio, and the i509-WRA-JL digital multimedia receiver is no exception. This handsome Restyle package fits your 2018-up Wrangler or 2020-up Gladiator JT, combining seamless (and wireless) smartphone connectivity, HD Radio™, plenty of inputs, and much more with rugged construction that can handle the challenges of your Jeep's environment. Alpine tricked out this new radio with a high-resolution display and audio enhancements that make it a treat for both your eyes and ears.
Designed for your Wrangler
This Alpine Restyle package lets you install the i509-WRA-JL in pretty much every 2018-up Wrangler JL or 2020-up Gladiator JT model. This package contains a dash kit that houses the weather-resistant receiver, along with wiring adapters that plug directly into the factory electronics and wiring. Once you've identified your vehicle, we'll tell you if this Jeep kit fits. Alpine even includes an iDatalink module that allows you to keep your steering wheel audio controls and the Jeep Uconnect® features you've grown fond of. Once you've identified your vehicle, we'll tell you if this Jeep kit fits.
Matches your Jeep style and Jeep lifestyle
The Restyle dash kit comes with custom keys that match the lighting, color, shape, and style of the factory keys, and it also lets you keep your climate controls. Buttons below the 9" display offer easy access to commonly used functions, and you'll even retain your Jeep's 12-volt ports.
Your Jeep is designed for off-road use, and so is this receiver. The bezel and touchscreen are splash-proof and dust-proof, so you can drop the top and head into the wilderness without worrying about your receiver succumbing to the elements.
Works with both wired and wireless Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®
This Alpine's compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so you and your passengers can enjoy messaging, mapping, tune selection, and much more from your smartphone without touching any screens. Both platforms work with voice commands, which you can activate by speaking a keyword or pressing the dedicated "Voice" button on the stereo's bezel. You can get stuff done without being distracted by your phone, and you can use either platform with your phone plugged in or wirelessly. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay and www.android.com/auto.
Connections for your sources
Even without a disc player, the iWRA-509-JL offers lots of ways to enjoy your media. Dual rear USB inputs let you attach your smartphone or a thumb drive with your favorite music or video files. The rear HDMI connection allows you to hook up to an optional CD/DVD or Blu-Ray player. An auxiliary input lets you bring in audio from another source, such as an old-school portable disc player. When your smartphone is connected, this Alpine's ready to roll with your favorite streaming services, including Tidal. Pull up playlists, albums, and more with ease, and check out the information on the i509-WRA-JL's gorgeous display.
Tidal users will have full array of the service's high-res audio offerings at their disposal, with a custom app interface right on the radio's display. You can explore it all when you're connected to a wi-fi hotspot, and some Tidal features may require a subscription.
The i509-WRA-JL continues Alpine's long relationship with Bluetooth connectivity. Use it to make or receive hands-free phone calls via your smartphone with the included microphone, or stream music from your phone with ease. You can also use the included microphone to activate voice commands for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Radio you can groove to
The i509-WRA-JL boasts excellent entertainment choices up and down the dial:
- HD Radio reception: Enjoy crystal-clear sound quality from participating AM and FM stations, including FM that sounds almost as good as a CD. Plus, you'll see station and song info on the screen.
- Satellite radio compatibility: You can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and a subscription.
We live in an 8K world now, so there's no reason your stereo's screen can't look a little better. Alpine gave this display a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels, so your album artwork and other information will be clear and focused. When you're parked and checking out some video, the i509-WRA-JL can act as a drive-in theater — just bring your own popcorn.
Heavy-duty audio performance
The i509-WRA-JL's not only a pretty face, it also boasts plenty of ways to keep your ears happy. You can use its many fingertip-friendly controls to set the EQ — this Alpine offers both Basic and Advanced tuning options, with 13-band parametric adjustments, time correction, and much more. And it works with lossless FLAC files to give you the thrilling digital media experience you crave. You'll be sure to hear the results thanks to Alpine's commitment to using high-quality audio components, such as a full-digital power integrated circuit and custom capacitors to keep the signal strong, clean, and free of noise.
Ready for your dash camera
The iWRA-509-JL retains your factory Jeep rear-view camera. It also works with Alpine's advanced HD dash cam/rear-view cam combo for all-over coverage of your vehicle. And if you'd like to add Alpine's optional HCE-C2100RD multi-view camera, you'll need this 2-camera switcher (not included) as well.
iDatalink Maestro included
The i509-WRA-JL offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to an iDatalink Maestro interface. You'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, and safety warning chimes, if present. The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your Jeep's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Alpine's screen.
Add a wireless volume knob
Our customers are often very loud and clear about how much they miss volume knobs on today's stereos, especially the ones with touchscreens. Alpine's RUX-H02 Halo wireless level controller (sold separately) lets you mount a convenient knob nearly anywhere you like, thanks to its Bluetooth connectivity. You can add a rotary volume knob and subwoofer level controller without running additional wires, for the ultimate in mounting flexibility. Turn up the sound, the old-school way!
Got an Alpine OEM Premium Amplified System? Don't lose it!
If you splurged for the Alpine factory upgrade for your Jeep, you've probably gotten used to the dulcet tones of the sound system. There's no reason to say goodbye to that listening experience when you add the i509-WRA-JL. Simply integrate Alpine's plug-and-play adapter with your installation and you can keep the factory Alpine OEM Amplified System audio just like before.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play discs)
- custom-fit receiver designed for select 2018-up Jeep Wrangler JL and 2020-up Jeep Gladiator JT models
- includes Alpine Restyle package with all installation parts
- 9" capacitive touchscreen with high-resolution (1280x720 pixels) display
- splash-proof and dust-proof touchscreen and bezel (IP53-rated)
- retains factory rear-view camera
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming (external microphone included)
- includes iDatalink Maestro ALP-MRR module (requires Windows PC for programming)
- retains factory features, including steering wheel controls
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- HD Radio tuner built-in
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- Apple CarPlay compatible (wired and wireless)
- Android Auto compatible (wired and wireless)
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- full Tidal integration with custom display (requires a wi-fi connection and Tidal smartphone app)
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, APE, and FLAC music files (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- plays AVI, MP4, MPG, MOV, and WMV video files
- 13-band parametric equalizer (Basic or Advanced)
- 6-channel time correction
- 10 EQ preset curves
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- Bass Engine SQ
- MediaXpander HD
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: 2 rear USB ports; rear HDMI input; rear auxiliary input; 2 proprietary camera inputs (one composite video adapter is included for non-Alpine cameras)
- outputs: rear HDMI output; 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings, video display, and other features on this receiver (the parking brake must be connected and set, released, and set again)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # I509-WRA-JL
What's in the box:
Alpine Restyle i509-WRA-JL owner's manual
- Alpine iLX-F509:
- 9" Touchscreen monitor
- Source unit
- Wiring harness (15A fuse)
- Preout harness
- iDatalink/Driver Recorder/Front Camera harness
- Camera input adapter harness
- Mic/SWC harness
- Microphone (w/ attached 12.5' cable terminated by a right-angle stereo-3.5mm connector)
- Surface-mount bracket
- Two-sided tape
- GPS antenna (attached 8' cable with proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive mounting pad
- 3 Self-adhesive cable clamps
- 2 Rear covers
- HDMI connector clamp
- 4 Pan-head ISO-screws (M5x8mm)
- 4 Counter-sunk ISO-screws (M5x8mm)
- 3 Display screws (M5x8mm)
- 2 Hinge screws (M3x4mm)
- 2 Rear cover screws (M2.6x6mm)
- 4 Rectangle self-adhesive sheets
- 4 Square self-adhesive sheets
- 2 Round self-adhesive sheets
- 2 Semi-oval self-adhesive sheets
- Quick Reference Guide
- Online Registration Information
- Online Detailed Manual Card
- Maestro ALP-HRN-WJL3:
- iDatalink Maestro RR radio replacement interface module (ALP-MRR)
- Main harness
- Chime speaker
- USB/HDMI/Aux interface
- USB power adapter
- USB flashing cable
- Alpine SGS-BSV1-JWL:
- Camera module
- Camera power harness
- 41" Composite video cable (not used)
- Alpine G-KTX-WJL:
- Dash kit
- Display bracket
- Power inverter bracket
- Tuner bracket
- 2 Screws
- 2 Washers
- Display power/key harness
- Installation Manual
- "Read Before Installation" Note. Online Registration sheet
- Warranty Information
Alpine Restyle i509-WRA-JL reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Alpine Restyle i509-WRA-JL
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|USB Port Power||2.4A, 1.5A|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 2.0 (360L)|
|iPhone||6S and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Screen Type||Swipeable (Capacitive)|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Built-in|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
Touchscreen Control & Camera Inputs
Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
USB & HDMI Integration
HD Radio+Tidal+SiriusXM Ready
Audio & DSP Section
Vehicle Compatibility: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL in-dash digital multimedia receiver is designed specifically to be installed in the following Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator vehicles (as of 7/6/2022).
Note: Jeeps with factory OEM amplified system will also require Alpine's KCX-F200INT interface adapter (sold separately)
OEM-Grade Dash Kit: The Alpine X509-WRA-JL in-dash digital media receiver includes a dash kit (G-KTX-WJK) which allows the aftermarket head unit to fit seamlessly into your Jeep. The dash kit is made of specially formed OEM-grade, high-quality, high-strength ABS plastic that has been color-matched to the factory dash. Extra care has been taken to match the factory dash's shape, texture, and color ensuring a more OEM-like appearance. Unlike traditional universal dash kits, the dash kit includes direct fit OEM-like brackets to ensure sturdy support and accurate positioning of the radio in your vehicle's dash.
- Separate Touchscreen & Source Unit: The Alpine X509-WRA-JL consists of a separate toucshcreen monitor and source unit. The display unit features a 9" capacitive touchscreen LCD, while the source unit contains the built-in amplifier, HD radio, source inputs, and processing power. The source unit mounts inside the dash while the touchscreen monitor mounts in front of the source unit. The G-KTX-WJL install kit fits perfectly around the touchscreen monitor giving the Alpine X509-WRA-JK a factory appearance. The included display cable & harnesses connect the two components together.
- Factory Like Buttons: The G-KTX-WJL dash kit is equipped with OEM-quality dedicated hard keys that match your Jeep's dash lighting for a truly uniform look. The hard keys are fully integrated for quick access to CarPlay Apple Maps or Android Auto Google Maps, as well the head unit's home screen, source selection, volume, and previous/next track controls. In addition, you get quick access to the backup camera (when used with optional camera system).
iDataLink Maestro Interface: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL in-dash digital media receiver also includes the iDataLink Maestro (ALP-MRR) radio replacement interface with radio and vehicle harness. The iDataLink Maestro interface (ALP-MRR) retains important factory installed features and functionality when replacing the Jeep's factory OEM radio with Alpine's i509-WRA-JL. It also provides extra features and functionality for added convenience.
- Premium Amplified System: Alpine's KCX-F200INT interface adapter (sold separately) can be utilized to retain your Jeep's factory OEM Alpine Premium Amplified System (if factory equipped). The KCX-F200INT mimics the signals from your Jeep's factory Alpine Premium Amplifier to retain the integrity of your audio system while upgrading the technology on your dash. You'll also retain the factory premium audio amplifier system's digital fader, DSP settings, gain adjustment, and speed compensated volume.
- Steering Wheel Controls: Your Jeep's factory steering wheel controls will be retained. You get two functions on each button for standard and expanded radio functions.
- Media Interface: The i509-WRA-JL comes with a media interface that consists of an HDMI jack, 3.5mm Aux input, and dual USB-A ports. This media interface replaces your Jeep's factory USB hub. The media interface's HDMI jack and 3.5mm Aux input plug into the Alpine receiver's rear-panel HDMI and Aux Inputs (cables not included) for easier access. One of the USB ports will connect to the black factory microUSB plug (not grey) for charging purposes only, while the other USB port will plug into the Alpine receiver's rear-panel USB port for easier access, data transmission, and charging.
- Advanced Camera Features: It will also retain the Jeep's front camera, side camera, and off-road 4x4 camera (if factory equipped); your aftermarket head unit must have a second composite video camera input. In addition, it retains your Jeep's parking assist chimes. This unit also retains your Jeep's factory backup camera with dynamic guidelines.
- Vehicle Settings & Climate Control: Your Jeep's climate display & controls can be accessed from the Alpine i509-WRA-JL's touchscreen monitor. You can also access and modify factory OEM vehicle settings through the Alpine receiver's touchscreen monitor.
- Vehicle Information & Customizable Gauges: The iDataLink Maestro (ALP-MRR) can also integrate with your Jeep's diagnostic port so select vehicle information like tire pressure, battery voltage, door status, engine codes, and user-customizable gauges can be monitored on the Alpine receiver's touchscreen display.
- EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center): If your Jeep is equipped with a secondary EVIC cluster display, the iDataLink Maestro will retain it and display Source Name only.
- If equipped, the factory Uconnect system is not retained and will no longer be functional with the new Alpine i509-WRA-JL digital multimedia receiver. However, the i509-WRA-JL does offer Bluetooth, HDMI, and USB connectivity.
- If equipped, the factory SiriusXM tuner is not retained. However, the Alpine i509-WRA-JL does support the SiriusXM SXV300V1 SiriusXM Tuner (sold separately) and you can utilize the factory installed SiriusXM antenna.
Flashing Module via Weblink Desktop: The iDataLink Maestro RR (ALP-MRR) will need to be loaded with correct firmware before installation. The included USB cable plugs into your computer and allows you to "flash" the Maestro RR with the appropriate firmware to prepare it for installation. Simply download Weblink Desktop (for Windows and Mac) onto your computer to access the appropriate firmware. System requirements include -
- Windows PC (10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000) or Mac OS X (Mojave [10.14], HighSierra [10.13], Sierra [10.12], El-Capitan [10.11])
- Available USB port (version 2.0 or 3.0)
- 4GB RAM or more
- 200MB available space on HDD
- Internet connection
Note: Not compatible with Chromebook and other operating systems not listed above.
Pre-Wired Harnesses: The radio, vehicle, and interface harnesses comes pre-wired, so all you need to do is plug the appropriate connector in the back of the Alpine i509-WRA-JL, iDataLink Maestro (ALP-MRR), camera interface module (SGS-BSV1-WJL), chime speaker, and the vehicle's factory radio plugs. Even the Parking Brake & Reverse Gear connections are pre-wired to make installation much simpler and less time consuming.
Touchscreen Control & Camera Inputs
9" Capacitive Touchscreen: The 9" capacitive touchscreen boasts a 1280 x 720 RGB resolution (2,764,800 total pixels) with a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. The touchscreen monitor provides a balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so album art, map screens, and videos are seen with greater clarity. The capacitive touchscreen requires less pressure, responds faster, and can recognize multiple touch points simultaneously; all advantages when compared to traditional resistive touchscreen displays.
- Swipe Operation: The new swipe control interface is designed for easy use so drivers can keep their eyes on the road. You can move your finger lightly with a swipe - up, down, left, or right. You can also touch a button or list item on the screen lightly for selection. You can even touch and hold the desired item, then drag it to its new location by moving your finger, then release your finger to place the item.
- Variable Screen Color: You can choose 8 different screen color images (Glass Blue, Glass Green, Glass Light Blue, Glass Red, Glass White, Steel Blue Green, Steel Amber, and Steel Red).
- Brightness Control: You can adjust the brightness of the LCD backlight from -15 to +15 and the brightness of the button illumination from -2 to +2. You can then select one of the following modes for both the LCD's backlight and button illumination - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright).
- Video Lockout: For safety and legal reasons, the i509-WRA-JL features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source (AUX, HDMI, & USB) while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. CarPlay & Android Auto do not require the Parking Brake to be engaged. The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options.
Note: Conveniently located Power/Home Screen, Audio Source, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Voice Recognition, Camera, Map, and Previous/Next Track buttons are accessible along the bottom edge of the 9" capacitive touchscreen for quick access and simple control.
Optional Remote Control: The RUE-4360 IR remote control (sold separately) provides wireless operation of the Alpine in-dash receiver. The remote provides access to many of Alpine head unit's functions. However, some features and functions will still require the use of the receiver's touchscreen monitor.
Note: If you are installing a steering wheel control interface with the Alpine receiver, then the IR remote control functionality will be disabled.
Front & Rear Camera Inputs: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL is outfitted with two 4-pin proprietary camera inputs for adding a rearview and frontview camera (sold separately). The proprietary inputs support Alpine rear and front cameras that feature the same 4-pin proprietary output. One composite video input adapter is included to allow the connection of a standard rearview or frontview camera (sold separately) with a composite video output.
- Auto Switching: If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Violet/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
- Guidelines: The rear-view camera function also provides on-screen color-coded guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle into a parking space.
- Visual Adjust: Visual Adjust lets you can change the picture quality (Brightness, Color, Contrast) for the connected camera.
- Backup Mute: When the Backup Mute features is activated, the receiver's sound will be muted automatically when your vehicle's gear lever is moved to the reverse position.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Optional Dash Cam: The i509-WRA-JL supports dash cam integration through the use of Alpine's DVR-C320R Dash Cam System (sold separately). The DVR-C320R includes a dash-camera with built-in DVR functions and comes with an interior rear camera, so you can view and record what is going on in front of the vehicle, as well as inside or behind the vehicle. The DVR-C320R plugs into a dedicated composite video input (labeled "Drive Recorder In") on the rear-panel of the Alpine receiver.
Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
Built-In WiFi: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL features built-in WiFi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable free connection between your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and the receiver for Wireless Apple CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto.
- GPS Antenna: Before using CarPlay or Android Auto, make sure the included GPS antenna is properly connected. The GPS antenna is required for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay navigation maps (including Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze). The GPS antenna comes with a self-stick pad which mounts it on top of your dash inside the vehicle.
- Data Plan Required: Access to CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
Wireless Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone 6S or newer in the car, while you stay focused on the road. Your iPhone can be connected to the Alpine i509-WRA-JL wirelessly via WiFi + Bluetooth or hardwired via its rear-panel Black USB-A port (labeled "USB1 2.4A"). An iPhone 6S or newer (running iOS 9.0+) is required for a wireless connection, while an iPhone 6S or newer (running iOS 7.1+) is required for a hardwired connection. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Alpine i509-WRA-JL. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the Alpine in-dash digital multimedia receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the Alpine receiver's 9" touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction.
- Maps: Apple Maps will be mirrored on the screen, including traffic information and estimated time to destination. Use the head unit's touchscreen or ask Siri to get turn-by-turn directions. You can search by address, favorites, recents, points-of-interests, and more. CarPlay can even predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. You can also choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: Use the head unit's touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemail messages. Caller ID information will be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Messages: Ask Siri to send, read, and reply to text messages. This hands-free operation minimizes distraction and allows you to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music: You can access music by artist, song, playlist, and more through the receiver's touchscreen or via Siri. The receiver will display artist/song/album information (including album art in the background). You can access your iPhone's iTunes music library, as well as Apple Music. In addition, you can access other music apps that you have on your iPhone; including Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, Google Play Music & more.
- Apple HomeKit: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Other Applications: In addition to navigation and music apps, Apple CarPlay supports a variety of other applications ranging from Podcasts, Audiobooks, Sports, News, Weather, and More.
- You must use the rear-panel Black USB-A port (labeled "USB 1 2.4") for wired Apple CarPlay. The USB-A port is attached to rear-channel of the head unit by a 39" cable. Use a Lightning-to-USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is being used.
Wireless Android Auto: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL supports Android Auto with select Android smartphones using a wireless or wired connection. A Google or Samsung smartphone with Android OS 10.0+ or any smartphone with Android OS 11.0+ and 5GHz WiFi can utilize Android Auto Wireless with the Alpine receiver using the latest version of the Android Auto app, plus a WiFi and Bluetooth connection. Android smartphones running Lollipop 5.0 or higher can also be hardwired to the i509-WRA-JL via the head unit's rear-panel Black USB-A port (labeled " USB 1 2.4A") and Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen user interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead.
- Google Assistant: With Google Assistant on Android Auto, you can keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel while using your voice to help you with your daily commute. Simply say, "Ok Google" or press the mic button to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Navigation Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. You can use the unit's touchscreen or Google Assistant to select your destination and route. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Calls & Messages: Android Auto's Google Assistant lets you stay connected while you're driving. The Google Assistant lets you use voice commands to call phone numbers and your favorite contacts, as well as read-reply-send text messages; all while keeping your hands on the wheel.
- Music Apps: Android Auto gives you access to your Android smartphone's music library via YouTube Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen or the Google Assistant to select songs, artists, albums, or playlists. You also get access to select music apps on your Android smartphone; including Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- You must use the rear-panel Black USB-A port (labeled "USB 1 2.4") for wired Android Auto. The USB-A port is attached to rear-channel of the head unit by a 39" cable. Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is being used.
Smartphone Charging: The Black USB-A port (labeled " USB1 2.4A") is rated at 5V/2.4A and will charge your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. There is also a rear-panel Grey USB-A port (labeled "USB2 1.5A For Charging") that can be used to charge an additional smartphone device. This USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
USB MSC Playback: In addition to Apple CarPlay & Android Auto connectivity, the head unit's Black rear-panel USB-A port (labeled USB1/2.4A) allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive. The USB-A port is attached to the rear chassis of the unit by a 39" cable. The unit supports playback of a variety of audio (including Hi-Res) and video files stored on a compatible USB MSC device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 2.4A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class Device)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3/WMA/AAC: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AVC, MPEG-1/2/3, MP4, MKV, MOV, FLV, H.263, H.264
|Max # of Files/Folders||10,000 total files/folders|
|Song/Artist Info||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC tags, & Album Art|
- For safety and legal reasons, the i509-WRA-JL features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a USB video or photo file while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video or photo file, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position.
- The USB port does not support MTP or AOA playback for Android devices. The USB port cannot be connected to a USB hub or card-reader.
iPhone Audio Playback: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay, the head unit's Black rear-panel USB-A port (labeled "USB1 2.4A") can also be used to connect an Apple iPhone device with Lightning connector for music playback only. You'll be able to playback stored music and music apps from your your compatible Apple iPhone device. The USB-A port is attached to the rear chassis of the unit by a 39" cable. The USB port provides 2.4A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
- Head Unit Control: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL lets you navigate your iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically. The head unit also offers playback functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat for stored music files. Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track are supported by many music apps too; not all apps will be compatible.
- Song/Artist Information: The Alpine in-dash digital media receiver will display your iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
Note: Compatible Apple iPhone devices include the iPhone 6S and newer.
HDMI Input/Output: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL is outfitted with a full-size, rear-panel HDMI input for an all digital audio and video connection to an optional DVD player or mobile device. The full-size, rear-panel HDMI output allows you to enjoy the unit's HDMI input audio/video signal on an optional rear view entertainment system (such as an overhead or headrest monitor). The HDMI input and output support up 480p and 720p video.
- Optional DVD Player: The head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output, such as Alpine's DVE-5300 DVD player or other brand of mobile DVD player (sold separately). The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. The i509-WRA-JL offers touchscreen control for the Alpine DVE-5300 DVD player, but not other DVD players. Playback functions for other HDMI connected source devices will need to be controlled from your device or the remote that came with your source device (not the i509-WRA-JL).
- Mobile Device Mirroring: The HDMI input can also be used to mirror select Apple iPhones with Lightning connect and select Android smartphones that are MHL compatible, so you can watch videos and photos, as well as listen to audio through the Alpine i509-WRA-JL. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your mobile device to select content, apps, and control playback. An Apple or Android/MHL adapter (both sold separately) will be required to make a HDMI connection.
- Not all devices with an HDMI input or output will be supported by the Alpine i509-WRA-JL.
- For safety and legal reasons, the i509-WRA-JL features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a HDMI video source while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position.
USB Charging Port: There is also a rear-panel Grey USB-A port (labeled "USB2 1.5A For Charging") that can be used to charge an additional smartphone device. This USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This USB charging port is attached to rear chassis via a 39" cable.
Note: This USB port does not support media playback from USB MSC devices, Apple iOS devices, or Android devices.
Aux Input: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL is outfitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input for connection of an external audio source device with a headphone or analog output.
Bluetooth 4.2: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for hands-free phone communication and wireless audio streaming. The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles -
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine i509-WRA-JL.
Secure Simple Paring with Dual Phone Connection: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the i509-WRA-JL without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). You can pair up to 10 Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit, and keep two phones connected simultaneously. That way you can switch between devices a lot quicker without having to disconnect and reconnect devices.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Alpine i509-WRA-JL supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The i509-WRA-JL allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the included external mic and your car audio speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving Calls: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL provides several
ways to answer your phone calls without picking up your mobile phone.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 5 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making Calls: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL provides a variety of
functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine i509-WRA-JL features full phone book access, direct dial, and call history.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can then search the contacts of your phonebook alphabetically.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (90 total) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
Note: You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone input to fit your own preference.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL can stream stored music, music apps, and other content from your Bluetooth source device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). The i509-WRA-JL will be able to control playback functions such as Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title (no Album Art). In addition to Bluetooth's standard SBC codec, the Alpine receiver also supports Apple's AAC codec and Sony's LDAC.
- SBC: The SBC (Sub-Band Coding) is Bluetooth's standard audio codec that is universally compatible with all Bluetooth-enable devices. SBC supports up to 320kbps.
- AAC: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is a step-up from Bluetooth's standard SBC codec and is Apple's standard audio codec. AAC supports up to 250kbps.
- LDAC: LDAC is a newer wireless audio codec from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth.
With 3x the data transmitted, LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience up 24-bit/95kHz (900 kbps). Many newer Android smartphones support LDAC.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
HD Radio+Tidal+SiriusXM Ready
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text w/ Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, plus Album Art. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the touchscreen monitor of the Alpine i509-WRA-JL. The RDS (Radio Data System) is a radio information system for analog FM. The RDS allows you to receive a variety of information such as traffic information, station names, and song information from standard analog FM radio stations.
- Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search.
- Ballgame Mode: In a live broadcast, such as a sportscast, a time lag occurs between digital sound and analog sound. Therefore, when live broadcasts are received, time lag between the real broadcast may occur and this unit can change to analog broadcasting automatically.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Tidal Hi-Res: The Alpine digital multimedia receiver allows you to access Tidal (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android 8.0+) through your WiFi connected Apple iPhone or Android smartphone. Tidal delivers a high-res streaming experience (up to 24-bit/96kHz) with over 90 million songs. You'll be able to search for music and control playback from the Alpine receiver's touchscreen, as well as view song/artist/album information and album art from the head unit's touchscreen monitor. A Tidal paid subscription is required and data rates may apply.
Note: The Alpine head unit must be connected to your compatible smartphone via WiFi to enjoy Tidal Hi-Res (not compatible with Bluetooth or USB connection).
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine i509-WRA-JL is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The Alpine iLX-507 and SXV300 vehicle tuner combines satellite and streaming content delivery into a single, cohesive in-vehicle entertainment experience, providing more choice and a more customizable listening experience. You are able to access more SiriusXM channels, SiriusXM's Pandora Stations, "For You" recommendations, recorded on demand content and podcasts, plus more. You also have individual SiriusXM listener profiles to allow multiple drivers and passengers to customize and maintain their own SiriusXM favorites and personalized recommendations. For SiriusXM subscription packages, click here.
- Advaned Tuning: The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category. Up to 36 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved for easier access. You can also view a list of the last 18 channels you listened to recently for convenient access to channels you may not have saved as presets. If you tune to one of your 36 preset stations that is a music channel, the unit will automatically start the current playing song from the beginning with TuneStart. You'll also be able to pause, skip, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora: Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora will play songs by the selected artist, as well as similar songs by other artists. Like Pandora, you can fine tune your station by selecting likes or dislikes (thumbs up/thumbs down) of the songs as they are played. Once you have created a station, you can save it to your favorites and tune it whenever you want. Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora requires an Internet connection, and are only available with an All Access package.
- For You Recommendations: The unit can make personalized recommendations based on your listening history. When connected to the Internet, the recommendations get "smarter" the longer you listen. You'll get a list of up to 8 recommended SiriusXM Satellite Radio stations based on your listening history. You can also quickly discover other channels that are related to the channel you are currently listening to.
- Alerts & Notifications: The receiver can provide instant notification of a song, artist, program, or sports team that you have saved as a favorite. When your favorite begins to play, an alert is displayed on the screen, allowing you to instantly tune in, if desired. Up to 50 alerts may be saved.
- A firmware update is required for advanced SiriusXM features such as Pandora Stations & "For You" Recommendations.
- Some features, such as Pandora Stations & "For You" Recommendations will require a WiFi connection with internet access (data rates may apply).
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on the XM Network. However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Audio & DSP Section
CTA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CTA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CTA-2006 logo on their product.
- CTA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: Add the KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack (500KTP445A, sold separately) to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/4V Preouts + Sub Control: The i509-WRA-JL has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The i509-WRA-JL offers high & low pass crossovers for the head unit's front and rear speaker and preamp outputs. It also has a low pass crossover for the subwoofer preamp outputs. These high pass and low pass crossovers limit the frequencies delivered to the receiver's speaker and preamp outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- Front & Rear HPF/LPF: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high pass filter and low pass filter for its front & rear speaker-level outputs and preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high pass filter center frequency point to 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz. You can set the unit's low pass filter center frequency point to 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, or 20k Hz. The slope of the high pass and low pass filters can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct. The level of the HPF and LPF can be set to -12 to 0 dB.
- Subwoofer LPF: The unit's subwoofer output low pass filter can be set to 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz. The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct. The level of the LPF can be set to -12 to 0 dB.
Equalizer: The i509-WRA-JL digital media receiver offers simple Bass & Treble, 10 EQ Presets, and a 13-Band EQ to tailor the receiver's sound to your preference, application, and content.
- 10 EQ Presets: You can choose between 10 EQ Presets - including Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 13-Band EQ: The 13-Band EQ (63, 125, 200, 315, 500, 630, 1k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, 12.5k, and 20k Hz) features a Basic and Advanced mode. The Basic mode allows you to adjust the 13-Band EQ for the Front speaker pair, Rear speaker pair, and Subwoofer outputs. The Advanced mode goes a step further by allowing you to adjust the 13-Band EQ independently for each speaker including Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, and Subwoofer.
- Bass & Treble: In addition to the EQ Presets and 13-Band EQ, the receiver offers simple Bass & Treble control, along with balance and fader adjustment.
Audio Enhancements: The i509-WRA-JL provides Time Correction, Media Xpander HD, and Bass Engine to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
- Media Xpander HD: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander HD is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander HD makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. USB, iPhone, and SiriusXM will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
- Bass Engine: Bass Engine tuning changes bass sound characteristics by automatically adjusting different combinations of EQ, Sub Level and Crossover settings through the choice of five bass profiles (Standard, Punch, Rich, Mid Bass, Low Bass).
8 questions already asked