About the Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309
Alpine's amazing new way to go BIG in your dash
Alpine's amazing new way to go BIG in your dash
Alpine's known for being on the cutting edge of stereo design, but for their iLX-F309 digital multimedia receiver, they actually borrowed an idea from some newer vehicles — an interface which "floats" on top of other dash controls. Only they went way bigger than anything else out there. The Alpine Halo9 boasts a monster 9" floating capacitive touchscreen to give you plenty of information at a glance. And it's adjustable so you can keep climate controls accessible. Single-DIN (2" tall) dash owners rejoice — this stereo's designed to go into most dash openings, even for many older cars. Add Alpine's trademark sonic capabilities and smartphone integration, and you've got a real humdinger on your hands.
The Alpine iLX-F309 in a 2004 Nissan Sentra.
Works in most dashes
The Alpine Halo9 comes in two main pieces: a 2" tall chassis and a 9" touchscreen. The chassis fits in most single-DIN dash openings, and since there's no disc player, the mounting depth shouldn't be a major issue for most vehicles. Once you've mounted the chassis in your dash opening, you can choose from five available vertical mounting positions for the screen, giving you the flexibility to enjoy the radio without blocking essential dash climate controls. Your vents might be partially blocked, but Alpine designed the radio to function under typical in-vehicle temperatures.
The Alpine Halo9's 9" display (left) and chassis work together in most single-DIN dash openings — you can adjust both the height and viewing angle of the display to suit your needs.
Get the best view
Once you've determined the best vertical position for the display, you also have the option of changing the screen viewing angle up to 45 degrees forward or 20 degrees backward. This allows you to accommodate for angled dashes or just to get a better look at your iLX-F309's display, depending on its position in your dash. After you've chosen the best positions, four screws hold the display safely in place as you interact with it.
Just about everything you need
There's no disc player in the Alpine Halo9, but it does include several ways to enjoy your media. You can use the rear USB pigtail to attach your smartphone or a thumb drive with your favorite music or video files, or just get to your phone's audio quickly with the auxiliary input. If you've got an optional CD/DVD or Blu-Ray Disc™ player, there's a rear HDMi connection. Rear-view camera owners will appreciate the incuded camera input and distance guidance display. A GPS antenna enhances your phone's navigation functionality.
Alpine's been on the Bluetooth train for a long time, and the iLX-F309's no different. Use it to make or receive hands-free phone calls via your smartphone with the included microphone, or stream music from your phone with ease. You can also use the included microphone to activate voice commands for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The Alpine Halo9 supports CarPlay —it integrates your iPhone® into the driving experience with a seamless interface, putting iPhone content at the driver's fingertips with minimal distraction. You'll enjoy easy access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay. As an added bonus, you can access Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the receiver's mic button, using your voice to place calls, select music, hear notification, add reminders — even compose and listen to text messages.
If you're an Android fan, you'll love how Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Save your favorites
Along the bottom of the iLX-F309's bezel you'll find some helpful buttons, including a dedicated microphone button to activate voice controls for CarPlay and Android Auto. You also get a "favorites" button with a star on it, which allows you to save your preferred audio sources, places, contacts, stations, and more so you can pull them up on the screen in a hurry without scrolling through several menus.
HD Radio™, Pandora® Internet radio, and more
The Alpine Halo9 comes ready to play with a plethora of entertainment options:
- HD Radio reception: You'll enjoy crystal-clear sound quality from participating AM and FM stations, including FM that sounds almost as good as a CD. Plus, you'll see station and song info on the screen.
- Pandora® Internet radio: Pandora lovers will love touchscreen control over their stations, including thumbs up and down, bookmarks, and station lists. Just plug your iPhone® into the USB port or use Bluetooth audio with your Android device.
- iPhone and iPod® control: Browsing for your favorite songs is simple and concise, thanks to an intuitive touchscreen interface and the huge display. You can check out song title, artist info, and album art with a quick glance at the big screen.
- Satellite radio compatibility: You can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and your paid subscription.
The iLX-F309's not only a pretty face, it also boasts plenty of ways to keep your ears happy. You can use its many fingertip-friendly controls to set the 9-band parametric EQ, time correction, Bass Engine SQ, and much more. And it works with lossless FLAC files to give you the full-resolution digital media experience you crave. Pair your smartphone with Alpine's TuneIt app installed with this stereo to get even deeper with the tweaks, save your favorite settings, and share them with other Alpine users online.
More options from Alpine
If you've tricked out your vehicle with add-ons, the optional Truck Accessory Controller enables simple system expansion, allowing touchscreen command of up to eight electrical devices like winches, LED lights, interior lights, suspension kits, and powered bed covers. You can customize the onscreen icons and button labels, so you'll be able to access your devices with ease.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
This Alpine offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle data on the Alpine's screen. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to your Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Some states and localities prohibit or restrict the use of video and information displays in vehicles – it is your responsibility to see if any restrictions or prohibitions apply in your area.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 9" capacitive touchscreen with adjustable vertical mounting positions and viewing angles
- fits single-DIN dash openings
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- HD Radio tuner built-in
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- Android Auto compatible
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- Pandora and Spotify control with iPhone and Android
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music files (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- plays AVI and MPEG4 video files
- 9-band parametric equalizer with time correction
- high- and low-pass filters
- Bass Engine SQ
- MediaXpander HD
- compatible with Alpine's TuneIt smartphone app
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- compatible with optional Truck Accessory Controller
- inputs: rear USB port, HDMI input, auxiliary input, rear-view camera harness
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in internal amp (18 watts RMS CTA-2006 x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- MFR # ILX-F309
What's in the box:
- 9" Touchscreen monitor
- Source unit
- Wiring harness
- iDatalink/Camera/Aux harness
- SWC/Mic harness
- Pre-out harness
- 5' USB extension cable
- GPS antenna (attached 8' cable terminated by proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive mounting pad
- Microphone (w/ attached 12.5' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-3.5mm connector)
- Visor clip
- Two-sided tape
- HDMI connector clamp
- 4 Pan-head ISO-screws (M5x8mm)
- 4 Counter-sunk ISO-screws (M5x8mm)
- 2 Counter-sunk adjustment-screws
- 7 Couter-sunk adjustment-screws (M4x6mm)
- 2 Pan-head plate-screws (M3x4mm)
- 2 Rear covers
- Quick Reference Guide
- Installation Manual
- Online Registration Information
- "WARNING" note
Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309 reviews
An honest review of this product would show you how the navigation shows either from Carplay of Android Auto. I say honest because that is the only deficiency this product has. Yet, that's the only source of navigation you can use on this product. So, if you are considering this product mainly due to its navigation through either Android Auto or Carplay this is a product you need to stay away from. Simply put, DO NOT BUY if using maps on either platform. Since a picture says a million words, I'll attach a few so that you all can see what I mean (the contrast between the whites and dark colors makes it impossible to see the roads). Otherwise, the unit is full of features. Good luck!
11 of 25 found this helpful
Nice head unit with all the bells and whistles.
1 of 4 found this helpful
This is a very nice head unit so don't let the stars fool you. The first and major point that warrants 3 stars is the terrible resolution. When you purchase an $900 device these days you expect a screen that has higher than 480p resolution! Other than that the other draw back is the lack of a built in microphone requiring you to install the clunky and oddly built Alpine mic. Beyond that there isn't much to complain about. I installed this in a 2016 Tundra and it fits perfectly! Also allows for the addition of a new storage pocket under the single din chassis - positive!.
Cons: Screen resolution No built in mic
4 of 5 found this helpful
Beautiful radio. Does not come with a mounting sleeve it European version does. Can't figure that one out. With some help and idea from Tim from Crutchfield I fit this unit into a 2018 Kenworth W900.Everything was there for the install with the exception of a mounting sleeve of which would have made things easier .
Pros: All wiring and screws made install nice and easy.
Cons: No mounting sleeve.
0 of 0 found this helpful
It is Great than I am waiting it. It has been Installed on 2018 VW Amarok V6 Turbo Diesel Truck. 2 kits Focal Utopia Be ( N7 and N6 ) were Install too. Alpine Slim Subwoofer. Alpine Processor PXA-H800 Alpine DVD DVE-5300 See pictures...
0 of 1 found this helpful
Greater than I wait it.
0 of 3 found this helpful
i installed this in my 2017 wrx. The sound is so much better than the stock head unit. I really love the android auto, something that i have not used before. i only have positive things to say. I really like the TPMS information that the unit puts out if using the iDatalink Maestro unit and the supplied OBD 2 cable. If installing into a Subaru, and have an access port make sure you get an OBD2 y cable to use both the rear camera functionality and retain the accessport. The only negative is that i had to tap into the parking brake wiring to get the setup of the unit to work (my car is a manual). Also, if the car is off and parking brake engaged when powering on the unit you will not be able to get into the setup, unless you disengage and reengage the parking brake.
Pros: great sound.
Cons: - a bit quirky about entering setup on manual cars - a bit slow to connect android auto - some connectivity issues with bluetooth sometimes.
4 of 4 found this helpful
Very happy with it
Cons: Complicated installation not really for first timers
1 of 2 found this helpful
UPDATE: I reviewed new in May 2018. See pictures in that review. Now dropping from 5 to 4 stars after 8 months of constant use. I am still very happy with the Halo9, providing my 2001 Tacoma with Apple Car Play and a good back up camera view. Maps from iPhone also work great and the voice is loud. iPhone music can play while maps are on the screen and easily switch back and forth with a tap. Map voice is loud and clear over music even while driving a loud old truck with noisy tires. Also happy with the ability to use a USB device loaded with music rather than iPhone. Why four stars now: Volume controls and on/off control. Driving in a truck and trying to change volume is a pain. The touch points are so small I feel like a drunk doing the nose touch sobriety test. Finding the on touch point in the dark is impossible, and turning the unit off requires holding that tiny touch point for six seconds. If you can ride a bull for eight seconds then you can hold off for six. Mute and display off at night are good. Also like the HD radio functions for good over air sound.
Pros: Apple Car Play, Maps, Map Voice, Camera View, Large on screen buttons, Mute, Display off at night, Sound (with upgraded speakers), USB and Line In options, HD FM stations (works well in So Cal anyway).
Cons: Volume Up/Down too small, No remote for volume, Off too small and takes forever, On too hard to find in the dark
7 of 7 found this helpful
Not as impressive as I had hoped. While angles and depth are adjustable they are in fixed positions.
Pros: Screen size.
Cons: Only one usb.
1 of 2 found this helpful
installation went fairly well. Had to make a few minor mods to the install kit as well as the monitor kit in order to make it fit well in my 2018 RAM 1500. Major issues with getting OBDII wiring set up correctly. Took five calls to crutchfield tech support and Maestro tech support to get it done. Also, the RAM USB kit for the center console was a major fail. The USB Board in the kit did not fit. Came to find out, Maestro doesn't even make one. Regardless, the Alpine deck fit well and has many great features. Sound quality is so so. EQ not the best to set up.
Pros: NIce large screen Easy install Lots of features
Cons: Sound quality so so
3 of 3 found this helpful
Love it. I get so many compliments
2 of 3 found this helpful
This thing looks great in my 2015 VW Passat Limited. There were a lot of wires for my first time installing a car stereo but Crutchfield made it a breeze. Now I feel like I could install any stereo!!
6 of 8 found this helpful
This radio is really nice. Fits great in my Ram1500 with a little modification to the metal bracket thats on the truck. Perfect size screen for bigger vehicles!
Pros: bigger screen easy set up works well with maestro
Cons: none so far!
1 of 1 found this helpful
Worth it! Works like a tablet/iPad!
4 of 6 found this helpful
Pros: Apple car play Back up camera on big screen Installed in 06 tundra and fits well
Cons: A little pricey but you get what you pay for
3 of 5 found this helpful
I was desperate to like this unit, but it's easily the worst head unit I've ever purchased or seen, ever. I will leave the fact that it looks very cheap and aftermarket sticking out of the dash out of it, because you know that going into it. So I won't blame Alpine for that. But, this screen is the same resolution as the smaller screens. So now blow that up into 9" and it's by far the absolute worst quality I've ever seen in a modern screen. It was like I was wearing someone else's glasses while looking at the head unit. The quality is so bad, when I had the "Apple Car Play" up and had a message, there's that little red circle in the corner of the green message icon (everyone with an iphone knows what I mean) indicating you have a message. On this screen, that's not a circle. You can actually see all the little squares that are put together to make the circle, it's like you're looking at an old dot matrix picture. It gave me a headache. Then the ease of use was junk. The stereo was constantly confused trying to figure out how to go from Car Play to radio and so on. The icons would disappear showing what function you pressed and you needed to just press buttons for the icons to pop up again. And don't get me started with the sound quality. It's beyond confusing to work and the sound is atrocious. I even went to Al & Eds to have one of those guys play with it, and he even said it's just a bad stereo. With that said, Crutchfield rocks. I will only buy from them.
Pros: Crutchfield. What a great company. Very friendly and took this unit back no questions asked. Sent out my Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S replacement in just a fews days and it's outstanding.
Cons: Terrible screen quality, bad sound, confusing EQ, slow, just bad all around. The picture of the band playing in the corner of the screen is mostly a blur. Not sharp at all.
32 of 42 found this helpful
Incredible! It made my stock speakers in my 2018 Rav4 sound amazing. Touch screen is very intuitive and CarPlay works perfectly.
3 of 4 found this helpful
Fantastic unit, And with Crutchfield's Ready Harness service, it made installing an absolute breeze! Had to make a few minor modifications to the dash with a Dremel to make it fit, but in the end was well worth it! Had an issue with one of the wires, and a quick phone conversation with Crutchfield had it instantly cleared up.
Pros: Huge screen, responsive touch, awesome looking!
Cons: Testing before install is somewhat cumbersome with screen. Had a grounding issue.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Looks great in my Tundra! Doesn't block any air vents. Great deck
Pros: Doesn't block any air vents and sounds great with stock speakers, sounded even better after I replaced the stock speakers!
Cons: Maps Display could be better. When in reverse or viewing cameras it has a warning box that is super imposed on the screen limiting how much you can see. Wish I could turn that off. "Never rely solely on the camera"
6 of 6 found this helpful
This is one heck of an amazing "tablet". Alpine has really been keeping up with the current design of high end luxury vehicles and to bring this to us peons to enjoy it well its awesome. A ton of sounds customization has took me almost 1 week to get it tuned just right. The only issue I found is that when you install this in a 2018 vehicle YOU NEED idatalink maestro RR unit and the required wired harness. As an example I purchased this for a 2018 Subaru Forester and it needed a Maestro RR and SU2 so I can take advantages of vehicle communications.
4 of 4 found this helpful
I installed this in my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU. There will be a relatively decent amount of customization required by the installer but it can be done. The finished product looks terrific so it's well worth the effort. My only complaint is with the required Maestro unit. You will need the Maestro if you want to retain your steering wheel controls and vehicle info--it works great but it requires a computer running Windows 7 using Internet Explorer to program it (WHAT?!?!) and their tech support was completely unhelpful. The guy told me to go to my local big box electronics retailer and have them program it. Anyway, the ILX-F309 is a great head unit. Tons of features, incredible display that does very well in sunlight or if you're wearing sunglasses. And the capacitive display is exactly like using an iPad. As always Crutchfield was fast with the shipping and has great customer service. I had to call them for a minor issue (caused by me) and they were very friendly and helpful (thanks Lefty!) I will definitely be coming back to Crutchfield to complete my system! Complete transformation in sound and presentation compared with the factory unit. The junk stock speakers actually sound decent at a medium volume now whereas before it was intolerable if you're into quality sound.....and if you're reading this you probably are ??
Pros: -Great sound -Features -Anti glare screen -iPad like display (except for the resolution) -9 adjustable band EQ -Built-in crossover
Cons: Screen resolution could be a bit better
4 of 5 found this helpful
Overall I love this unit as it allows me to get a large oversized screen (makes a double DIN look puny!) in my BMW where are double DIN is really not possible. It looks amazing in my car and fits like it was a factory option. Using Apple Car Play through the voice or touch screen works well. It's great to be able to use my phones powerful processing capability conveniently in my car.
Pros: Great Look for single DIN cars that cannot install a Double DIN unit Apple Car Play allows great use of the power of the iPhone Screen easily readable even in my convertible in full sunlight Good sound quality with 4 volt pre-outs Flexible mounting to fit many single DIN cars Can customize icons for your personal needs
Cons: No iPod Classic controls Screen is only Standard Definition - No HD Must use USB connection to use Apple Car Play (Cannot use Bluetooth only connection for Apple Car Play)
6 of 7 found this helpful
Radio is great however, the back up camera worked for one day then nothing.... replaced the camera and replaced the alpine wiring harness for the camera input. Still nothing. I've had dozens of Alpines over the years and am really disappointed I am having issue with this unit .
Pros: Love the huge touch screen
Cons: Back up camera stopped displaying after one day
5 of 7 found this helpful
Fits in a 2008 tacoma I don't care what Crutchfield says, you have to buy the single din kit with the pocket on top(kit sold elsewhere). No cutting went rite in. Great headunit. But Crutchfield tech missed the mark on this will not fit your vehicle in bold red .......
Pros: I like everything about this headunit.
Cons: Crutchfield telling me it wouldn't fit in my truck
7 of 7 found this helpful
Great radio love all the features and the screen size. Apple car play works flawlessly and even looks great if you play your music in iPod mode. I would recommend buying definitely worth the money to me.
Pros: #Everything about it
Cons: needs a wireless remote
3 of 4 found this helpful
Alpine hit this one out of the park! Asthetically, it is beautiful! Functionality is unlimited and the installation is pretty straight forward. In my particular application, I purchased the single din conversion and combined it with idatalink maestro and it does everything as expected. They give you plenty of screws for the installation, except the most important screw of all, the one they warn you about that retains the power plate. I had to go locally to obtain one. I can't remember the last time I had to utilize a single din kit, but its actually quite nice. You get the large screen on top of the extra storage compartment that comes with it. Gotta give a shout out to Crutchfield, as we all know how awesome they are! Thanks
Pros: It protrudes from the dash and is very obvious!
Cons: No navigation.
4 of 5 found this helpful
Great Head Unit from Alpine. I wish it had a cable to go from head unit to the screen. If it did it would be a lot better for a custom install. Or at least have that option. Anyway you look at it this unit is great if you need a custom install. I wish apple didn't lock out so many apps for car play. Mounted in a 2011 GMC 2500HD.
Pros: It's an Alpine. Nice big display.
Cons: Needs a cable option for the Display to the head unit. So the head unit can be mounted remotely.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Really like this stereo! Two things you'll need - Patience and magnetic Phillips head screwdrivers. Although sites like Crutchfield say this doesn't fit 98-04 Tacomas, they are wrong. My 2001 has a Double DIN opening and Automatic Transmission, both deterrents to installation. My stock Double DIN slid right out, and the two side brackets are easily removed from the stock stereo and screwed on to the new Halo9 for a perfect fit when sliding it back in. I did it so when slid into the dash the Halo9 is in the LOWER half of the Double DIN. The upper half remains open, but is barely visible with the screen tilted back (refer to pix). The open upper half allows three cables to be available: USB extension, Aux extension, GPS antenna. It took me several installations to get the screen location perfect (imho); bracket pushed all the way in, screen up two screws, tilt loose at near 20 degrees. The truck has to be put in neutral briefly during install or removal, hence patience needed. The screen screws (5 of them) are done last from above when install is complete, hence magnetic Phillips head so screws don't drop with gravity. All screens look good and swipe or press easily. You must install the GPS antenna or the clock will not work, it just says updating forever. USB to firewire to my iPhone opens ApplePlay in about five seconds with full access to phone and music and maps and more. I could not take a picture of maps on screen because it goes off when switching to camera
Pros: HD Radio, Apple Play, Installation options let it fit vehicles even when Crutchfield says it won't, So many configuration screens, options, data, and more...
Cons: Clock requires GPS antenna be plugged into the back even if not using GPS
5 of 5 found this helpful
So far this is been a very good unit the user interface is very easy to use and understand the only downside I would give this unit is that you might require an additional amplifier if you're pushing high quality speakers.
Pros: Easy to use Easy to install Easy to add additional amplifier part# KTP-445A
Cons: Low on power for high quality speakers
4 of 4 found this helpful
Absolutely love this stereo! It's my first Alpine and it does not disappoint. The sound quality is excellent. The install was smooth and the floating interface looks great in my 2016 Altima. I'd recommend it to anyone with enough room in dash.
Pros: Awesome screen Responsive touch interface Great sound
Cons: Smudges on screen but I don't care!!
3 of 3 found this helpful
So far so good. Looks good, Sounds good, Big Display nice for Android Auto. Fitted in a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, which for some reason Crutchfield claims is not a fit. Photo below shows fitment in stock location. I may have had to drill a new hole in the mounting angle bracket during the fitment of the previous head unit, but otherwise the fitment is stock. Android Auto is a learning experience, nice to have for navigation, but I prefer the straight bluetooth phone interface for calls. Sound is very good. FM reception seems very good, seems more powerful than previous Alpine ida-x305 headunit. To do: Check for Spotify support over Android Auto and test out Tuneit app Wish list: Option to use track forward/track backward to step through favorites and/or presets. Could be added to radio using another entry on the dx or local tuner menu. Option for preamp in to use something like the Dirac MiniDSP for room correction option to use bluetooth dialer screen when phone is USB connected. Bluetooth dialer screen is more informative than android auto dialer screen. Quick release for theft protection. Precut screen protector - have to buy material and trace outline
Pros: big screen in any car android auto
Cons: lacks a quick release for theft protection cannot step through presets with track forward button
5 of 5 found this helpful
Alpine out did them self this time, I have waited for years for the perfect CarPlay unit. I'm happy with this purchase.
Pros: Great touch screen, works flawlessly alpine has always makes great product easy to install the gps antenna makes the iPhone maps more accurate voice call is a clear on the other end.
5 of 5 found this helpful
Very happy with this unit. The installation took a little longer since it was so different from most head units, but all in all was easy and the install adjustments are extremely flexible. It would be hard to find a dash this would not fit in. The build quality is very solid. The responsiveness of the capacitive touchscreen is really good. Of course this has the excellent sound quality that Alpine is known for and can be shaped with a crazy number of options. Lots of input options.
Pros: Great Alpine Sound Number of Sound Shaping options Build Quality Screen responsiveness Input Options
Cons: Screen's resolution could stand to be higher.
5 of 5 found this helpful
Very disappointed by this head unit. I mainly listen to music stored on an Apple iPod Touch (6th Gen. iOS 11.3). It is connected to the unit via an Apple lightning to USB cable. I am unable to perform any type of search on the iPod or navigate any playlists from the head unit. It may be hard to notice from the attached photo, however, the two "search" icons are grayed out and if I tap on either of them, I get a notification which says "Searching...". Then nothing happens. The only way I can navigate through playlists is manually via the iPod itself, which defeats the entire purpose of this head unit. I tried resetting the head unit, deleting all content on the iPod and I even tried a different cable. However there is no change. It's a shame I can't rate it anything less than one star. money wasted, should have kept my old Alpine w555bt which worked fine. Crutchfield tried to assist by giving me a number to contact Alpine directly, however since April 03, 2018 I am unable to connect to that number. Perhaps someone reading this can offer some assistance and/or a solution.
Cons: Seems to be incompatible with iPod Touch 6th Gen (iOS 11.3)
10 of 22 found this helpful
Took delivery of the Halo9 iLX-F309 unit from Crutchfield's initial wave of deliverables. The placed-an-order timeline time was less than a month. . The F309 was purchased with a MY05 Subi Outback XT LTD, the USA Outback model trim with the screwball-unified chassis of the HVAC controls and Radio/CD units. (dual zone climate controls & Radio CD-changer in a unified chassis.) Subaru Japan has the dual climate controls as a single unit. Once fitted the open space from the OEM radio/CD removed is a solid 2-DIN arrangement. .. The F309 fits like it was OEM and with an available Plug-N-Play wiring harness makes for a simplified installation. The Subi MY05 thru '09 Outback XT LTD wiring harness is made available through a fellow Subi owner at www.legacyGT.com . The custom wiring harness is an out growth from OB XT owners wanting a 2-DIN dashboard enhancement. . Additionally, tried a mockup fitment of the F309 in the 1-DIN space in my MY98 Carrera 911 (993). It's the old sckool dashboard architecture of the former air cooled 911s. The F309 screen fit like a champ. Pictures will be posted shortly of both the '05 Outback XT installation and the '98 911C2S (993) mockup fitment. .. Cheers M/S
Pros: All of them
Cons: None of them
1 of 6 found this helpful
The fit is good, the screen is great, and the features are even greater.
6 of 7 found this helpful
I am very pleased with the Halo9. Love the large 9 inch screen and the tuning capabilities. The Android Auto feature is great as well. Best of all I was able to put a large screen into my 1989 Buick Lesabre T-type being that a double din unit was not an option (dash would have required cutting)
Cons: My RUE-4190 remote doesn't work with this unit
6 of 8 found this helpful
I absolutely love this unit. I need more time to learn all the features. Back up camera image seems like a downgrade rom the original unit but will not break the deal.
Pros: Loaded with features. Nice screen.
Cons: Back up camera image
2 of 2 found this helpful
I just installed it in Highlander 2018. Great product, Great touchscreen , sound improved amazing. I'll highly recommend it .
12 of 13 found this helpful
Once I saw this unit at CES, I couldn't wait for it to be released. I own a 2008 Suburban, which is listed as not compatible. I called and spoke with Lane and we both googled for videos and pics and we both thought it should be able to fit with the Metra 99-3305 kit and it fit perfect! Install was a bit lengthy as I also installed the equipment I had been waiting to put in. The unit is powering an Alpine PDX-V9 amp which provides the juice to two pair of Alpine SPX-17PRO component speakers and a JL Audio Stealthbox in the center console. The Alpine does NOT disappoint and handily converted me back from a long run with Pioneer. The 9" touchscreen is massive and is SUPER responsive and looks AMAZING! It does pick up fingerprints somewhat, but cleans easily. You will definitely want to have more than the factory car alarm to cover glass breakage as the only negative is - this thing stands out and will be obvious to hoodlums out there. Once again Crutchfield was amazing to deal with and no one can touch their customer service! Thank you Lane on your help with this one!
Pros: Amazing CarPlay integration, super easy to use, great execution by Alpine!
Cons: Call it a con if you want, but WOW there isn't ANYTHING this head unit WON'T do! STILL trying to go through and learn all the menu's.
14 of 14 found this helpful
2 of 17 found this helpful
I absolutely love this car stereo, it was easy to install, sounds great with the KT-445, and is easy to operate. I absolutely love it. You will too, you can by it without worry and enjoy it for years to come.
Pros: Easy Install, Great Sound, Easy to Use, Looks Great, Great Quality, Great Features and well it's just awesome!
Cons: None that I can think of.
23 of 25 found this helpful
I just got done putting this unit in my Mercury Mountaineer and all I can say is WOW! First off this said "doesn't fit" my vehicle but I found a Metra dash kit (Crutchfield didn't have it) that worked PERFECTLY. This is basically a single din ISO unit so it will pretty much fwork with any aftermarket dash kit. I already had a Alpine unit in my truck so i didn't have to change ANY wiring all the wire harnesses were exactly the same. The unit looks AMAZING in my vehicle it's HUGE! I'm using a Android phone (Galaxy S8 plus) and the Andoid Auto works phenomenal! The screen is absolutely beautiful. I just downloaded the owners manual from the Crutchfield website (it comes with just a basic manual to get you started). I still have a lot to learn and do to get the most out of this unit. I will post some pics and more information once I get more time to play with it. I have had MANY Alpine units over MANY years and this has to be the best looking one I have ever installed. It looks like I have a Android tablet in my truck. If your on the "fence" about buying one DON'T it's a AMAZING unit just watch some You Tube video's and you will understand why I jumped on it the day Crutchfield got one in. Kevin
Cons: Haven't found any yet will report back after I have more time to play with it.
15 of 17 found this helpful
More details on the Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Optional|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|High-res Playback||FlAC (96kHz)|
9" Capacitive Touchscreen: The 9" capacitive touchscreen boasts a 800 x 480 resolution (1.15 million pixels) with a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. The touchscreen monitor provides a balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so album art, map screens, and videos are seen with greater clarity. The capacitive touchscreen requires less pressure, responds faster, and can recognize multiple touch points simultaneously; all advantages when compared to traditional resistive touchscreen displays. The iLX-F309's intuitive touchscreen interface allows for 4-way swipe action control - Left, Right, Down, & Up.
- Swipe Up to access Source Selection options (such as HD Radio, Pandora, SiriusXM, Bluetooth, etc.)
- Swipe Down to access Audio Settings or your Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE).
- Swipe Left to access Presets or the Quick Search mode screen.
- Swipe Right to access the Main Menu screen.
Note: Conveniently located Power/Menu, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Voice Recognition, Favorite, Previous/Next Track buttons are accessible along the bottom edge of the 9" capacitive touchscreen for quick access and simple control.
Single-DIN (2") Installation: The 9" capacitive touchscreen is attached to an adjustable mount connected to a Single-DIN (2") chassis. The screen hovers over or in front of the dash while its rear housing tapers off cleanly at the edges for a thin and modern silhouette. Various mounting positions allow for screen to be positioned to avoid features on the dash such as air vents and buttons around the radio. At its default position, the screen's sliding mount is pushed out, sitting at a 90-degree angle and the bottom of the screen is centered with the Single-DIN (2") chassis. At this point, the screen can be angled at select positions to assist during installation, help with visibility, or move it away from other items on the dashboard.
- The screen can be positioned 0.75" (20mm) deep from the default position to be closer to the dash, and higher or lower up to 1.1875" (30mm) from the default position to adjust for height in the dash. The screen position must be adjusted prior to installation. It cannot be adjusted while installed in the dash.
- The screen can be manually tilted up or down, depending on the position of the up/down location. There are four pre-set angle points (45°, 20°, 0°, -20°) to allow for better viewing of the screen. The mounting angle must be adjusted prior to installation. It cannot be adjusted while installed in the dash.
- Once the desired screen position is determined, the screen and mount get fixed to the chassis for a sturdy fit and finish. The 9" capacitive touchscreen is not detachable.
Note: The Alpine iLX-F309 mounts in a Single-DIN (2") opening using the your vehicle's factory brackets or the brackets included with your dash kit (sold separately). The iLXF-309 is not recommended for dash kits with "snap-on" brackets; make sure the dash kit uses "bolt-on" brackets. The iLXF-309 does not mount in a dash using a sleeve or cage.
My Favorites: This unit enables you to recall functions easily be registering frequently used items, such as specific audio sources and most-dialed contacts, to the Favorite screen. A shortcut soft-key on the touchscreen within all audio and phone sources makes it easy to select your Favorite sources or contacts. Easily add, delete, and re-arrange your shortcut icons by dragging the icon(s) to a new location on the screen. Your settings are kept as a personal profile linked to your smartphone via Bluetooth. You can create up to 6 favorite screens with up 54 selections (9 each).
Variable Color Illumination: You can adjust the receiver's LCD screen color from Blue, Light Blue, Aqua, Red, Green, Light Green, Amber, or White. The unit's button illumination will always remain white.
Brightness Control: You can adjust the brightness of the LCD backlight from -15 to +15 and the brightness of the button illumination from -2 to +2. You can then select one of the following modes for both the LCD's backlight and button illumination - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright).
Clock Display: The iLX-F309 lets you select between a 12 hour or 24 hour clock. The clock is displayed on each source screen and turns off when the head unit is powered down.
Video Lockout: For safety and legal reasons, the iLX-F309 features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source (AUX, HDMI, & USB) while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. CarPlay & Android Auto do not require the Parking Brake to be engaged.
Note: The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options.
Steering Wheel Control Input: The head unit features an steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Accessory Control Ready: You can also use the iLX-F309 to control external accessories like a light bar, motorized tonneau cover, or winch when used with the optional KAC-001 External Accessory Controller (500KAC001, sold separately). The KAC-001 works with up to eight relay-connected accessories which can be controlled from the iLX-F309's touchscreen. A graphical icon and name can be assigned to each accessory for quick identification on the touchscreen.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your USB-connected iPhone 5 or newer (running latest iOS version) with Lightning-connector in the car, while you stay focused on the road. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Alpine iLX-F309. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the Alpine iLX-F309 in-dash receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the iLX-F309 receiver's 9" capacitive touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction.
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the iLX-F309's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply tap the "Phone" icon and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via touchscreen and Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included external microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level the microphone. You can also select which car speaker outputs the caller audio; you can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Alpine receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus iTunes radio from the Alpine iLX-F309. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the iLX-F309's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The iLX-F309's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Alpine receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that
you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news,
podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these
apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone.
Current supported apps include:
- Music & Radio: Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, Google Play Music & more.
- News, Sports & Podcasts: Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, NBA, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, & more.
- Audio Books: Audiobooks.com & Audible
- Other Apps: Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Alpine receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Use the included USB extension cable and an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB extension cable (not included) for connection. Any other USB extension cable or non-certified cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Android Auto: The Alpine iLX-F309 also supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel USB port via the included USB extension cable and your phone's USB cable, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen interface that is simple to use in the vehicle. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include (click here for a list of all compatible apps) -
- Google Assistant: The Alpine receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smarthome enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and the Google Assistant. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Alpine receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and the Google Assistant to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Alpine receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and the Google Assistant. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable. Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible. Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The iLX-F309 features a built-in GPS receiver, comes with an external GPS antenna, and is outfitted with a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire to optimize CarPlay's Apple Maps and Android Auto's Google Maps. The GPS antenna should be mounted on top of the dashboard near the front windshield, while the VSS wire connects to your vehicle's speed pulse wire to accurately gauge the direction, location, and speed of your vehicle.
HDMI Input: In addition iPhone and Android connectivity, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output, such as Alpine's DVE-5300 DVD player (500DVE5300; sold separately). The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (such as the DVE-5300 DVD player) or the remote that came with your HDMI-connected source device. The HDMI input supports video resolutions up to 720p.
Smartphone Mirroring via HDMI: The Alpine's iLX-F309's rear-panel HDMI input can also be used to connect select Android or Apple iOS devices with video output to the digital media receiver. With the vehicle's parking brake engaged you can mirror the smartphone device's image and watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) on the digital media receiver's touchscreen monitor. Stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPod/iPhone device can be heard through your speaker system without the parking brake engaged; however, there is no song/artist information display unless the parking brake is engaged. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device to select content, apps, and control playback.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable (like Alpine's KCU-471i cable), and a HDMI cable - all sold separately. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device through a 3rd party 2A USB power adapter (sold separately). Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Android Connectivity: For Android users most newer Android smartphones do not have HDMI adapters. The easiest way to connect is with a Miracast adapter (for example a Roku Stick or Amazon Firestick - sold separately). You can use Alpine's KCU-610MH HDMI cable kit (sold separately) to connect older MHL-compatible Android smartphones (check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones). The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note II/III/IV requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). Newer Samsung Galaxy and Note smartphones do not support MHL. Some Android smartphone will require a MHL conversion adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges the battery of your Android smartphone through a 3rd party 2A USB power adapter (sold separately).
Note: The smartphone mirroring feature requires that you plug your Apple iOS or Android device into a 3rd party 2A USB power adapter (sold separately); do not plug your device into the 1.5A USB port back of iLX-F309FRN.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback: The Alpine receiver also supports direct connection of your Apple iPod/iPhone with Lightning connector or iPhone 4S with 30-pin connector through its rear-panel USB port and the included USB extension cable (use Alpine's KCU-471i cable or the cable that came with your Apple device). The iLX-F309 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your USB-connected Apple device with Lightning connector.
- Head Unit Control: The Alpine iLX-F309 lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically. The head unit also offers playback functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat for stored music files. Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track are supported by many music apps too; not all apps will be compatible. Your USB-connected iPhone will remain unlocked, so you can use its touchscreen to access music apps.
- Song/Artist Information: The Alpine in-dash digital media receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1.5A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine iLX-F309 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/22/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video/Mirror||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Mass Class Storage Devices: In addition to iPhone & Android connectivity, the head unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. A 5' USB extension cable is included. The unit supports playback of a variety of audio and video files stored on a compatible USB MSC device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class Device)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz|
FLAC: bit depth of 16-/24-bit; sampling rate of 8-96kHz
|Video||AVI/MKV/MP4: optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||10,000 files/folders|
|Song/Artist Info||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC tags, & Album Art|
Note: The USB port does not support MTP or AOA playback for Android devices. The USB port cannot be connected to a USB hub or card-reader.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Alpine iLX-F309 features built-in Bluetooth 3.0 with support for hands-free phone communication and wireless audio streaming. The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles -
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine iLX-F309.
Multi-Device Pairing w/ Dual Phone Connection: You can pair up to 5 Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit, and keep two phones connected simultaneously. That way you can switch between devices a lot quicker without having to un-connect and re-connect devices.
- Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the iLX-F309 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP).
- Auto Pairing (for iPhone): You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Alpine head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Alpine iLX-F309 supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The iLX-F309 allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the included external mic and your car audio speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving Calls: The Alpine iLX-F309 provides several
ways to answer your phone calls without picking up your mobile phone.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 5 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making Calls: The Alpine iLX-F309 provides a variety
of functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine iLX-F309 features full phone book access, call history, and redial with compatible phones.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone, you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact or the telephone number.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can then search the contacts of your phonebook alphabetically.
- Presets & Favorites: You can assign up to 4 phone numbers for one-touch dialing to make a call easily. You can also make a phone call using the Short Cut function of numbers that you have registered as Favorites.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (60 total) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Alpine iLX-F309 can stream music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Not only can it control & stream your music through Bluetooth, it can process your music using its built-in DSP to ensure you get the best sound. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the iLX-F309 provides a Search List of your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title (no Album Art). The iLX-F309 even supports audio streaming of music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone with song/artist information and limited control (continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to control advanced music app navigation).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Alpine iLX-F309 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel/touchscreen controls and external microphone. Simply press the head unit's "microphone" button on the front-panel to engage Siri and use the external microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the iLX-F309 and its microphone. You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Alpine iLX-F309; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Bluetooth Adjustments: You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone input to fit your own preference. You can also select which car speaker outputs the audio from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone/device. You can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
Pandora Internet Radio App: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ & Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine iLX-F309 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (4S or newer) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the iLX-F309 via the Alpine KCU-471i cable (sold separately) or the cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, LTE (4G), EDGE, or WiFi. The iLX-F309 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- Shuffle Play: Shuffle Play allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Apple Music Radio: You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iOS device through the Alpine iLX-F309. With a WiFi or cellular connection, you can listen to Beats 1, The Mixtape, and other live radio stations. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for every genre and stations they have personally created. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations. Apple Music Radio playback is compatible with the following Apple iOS devices -
- iPhone: XS-Max/XS/XR/X, 8+/8, 7+/7, 6S+/6S/6+/6, 5S/5C/5, SE, & 4S - running iOS 9.3.5 or newer
- iPod: touch (6th, 5th generation) - running at iOS 9.3.5 or newer
Note: Your Apple iOS device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine iLX-F309 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, and Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- SmartFavorite Presets + Jump: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. All presets are recognized a SmartFavorites with advanced features like TuneStart, & TuneScan. The Jump feature lets you store your absolute favorite channel so you can jump to it with the press of a dedicated button and then jump back to the previous channel.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite preset channel on the current band. TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels on the currently tuned band.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay content from the currently tuned SiriusXM channel. The SiriusXM tuner will continually buffer up to 60 minutes of audio from the currently tuned channel.
- Song/Artist/Game Alerts: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text w/ Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, plus Album Art. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the touchscreen monitor of the Alpine iLX-F309. The RDS (Radio Data System) is a radio information system for analog FM. The RDS allows you to receive a variety of information such as traffic information, station names, and song information from standard analog FM radio stations.
- Preset & Direct Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search. You can also input a station number directly from the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Quality Setting: This unit can be set to three different FM tuner quality settings - Normal (standard), HiFi (high-quality), or Stable (controls noise).
- Ballgame Mode: In a live broadcast, such as a sportscast, a time lag occurs between digital sound and analog sound. Therefore, when live broadcasts are received, time lag between the real broadcast may occur and this unit can change to analog broadcasting automatically.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CTA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CTA-2006 logo on their product.
- CTA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: Add the KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack (500KTP445A, sold separately) to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/4V Preouts + Sub Control: The iLX-F309 has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
Built-in EQ: The iLX-F309 digital media receiver is equipped with a variety of EQ presets for different types of music, plus a 9-Band Parametric EQ for fine-tuning the sound to your preference, and Alpine's very own Bass Engine SQ.
- EQ Presets: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of music source material. Choose from Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 9-Band EQ: You can create three Custom EQ presets by adjusting the head unit's 9-Band Parametric Equalizer to create a response curve more appealing to your personal taste. Band 1 (20Hz-100Hz), Band 2 (63Hz-325Hz), Band 3 (125Hz-500Hz), Band 4 (250Hz-1kHz), Band 5 (500Hz-2kHz), Band 6 (1kHz-4kHz), Band 7 (2kHz-7.2kHz), Band 8 (5.8 kHz-12kHz), Band 9 (9kHz-20kHz). Bandwidth Q (1, 2, or 3). Levels (-7 to + 7).
- Bass Engine SQ: Alpine's Bass Engine SQ optimizes the sound for all speakers in the vehicle according to the music genre and mood for well-balanced and effective bass sound. Select from six Bass Engine SQ Types - Standard (Natural low-pitched sound), Punch (boosted bass sound), Rich (rich low-pitch sound), Mid Bass (emphasizes presence of upper bass), Low Bass (emphasizes presences lower bass), and Off (bypasses Bass Engine SQ).
Audio Enhancements: The iLX-F309 provides Time Correction, Media Xpander Pro, and Source Volume Level to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
- Media Xpander HD: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander HD is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander HD makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The FM radio, USB memory, HDMI, iPhone/iPod, Pandora, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
- Source Volume Level: The output level (+/-14dB) of each source can be individually adjusted. For example, if the Tuner level sounds lower than Bluetooth, its output can be adjusted without affecting the other sources.
Alpine's TuneIt App: The Alpine TuneIt app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.0+) is an easy-to-use sound-tuning app that also offers Facebook notifications. Download this free app from the Apple App Store or Google Play onto your compatible Apple iPhone or Android device and create a user profile about your vehicle and sound system. Your iPhone must be connected to the Alpine receiver via the appropriate Alpine connector cable (500KCU471I, sold separately) or the cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Sound Tuning: The Alpine TuneIt app turns your iPhone or Android smartphone into a sound tuning interface for the Alpine receiver. Follow the simple graphical instructions on your phone to adjust sound settings for your specific vehicle or choose from pre-made settings in the database. Settings that can be adjusted include Parametric EQ, Bass Engine SQ, Crossover, and Media Xpander. As you change settings on your smartphone, you will hear the results, so you can customize the sound to exactly how you want it. You can make and save up to 100 different sound settings in your account, which is helpful if you want various settings to use for specific types of music. After tuning your system, upload your settings to the Alpine Cloud Server to share them with other Alpine fans. You can also check out other user's settings and rate them. The more active you are, the higher your profile status progresses within the app.
- Facebook Notifications: The Alpine TuneIt app also keeps you in touch with your Facebook friends. When you receive a notification, you will get a visual alert on the smartphone and the head unit, plus a sound alert through your car speakers. The visual notification includes the Facebook icon and the sender's name, with the profile picture shown on the phone. You are then able to listen to the notification via TTS (Text-to-Speech) through the head unit and your vehicle's speaker. You can even "Like" the notification from the head unit's front-panel controls. In order to receive Facebook notifications on the head unit, the Alpine TuneIt app must be the active app on your smartphone.
Note: Access to the Alpine TuneIt app will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. You will also need to turn on the GPS function of your phone.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The volume of this feature can be set from 0-7.
Camera Input: The iLX-F309 features a composite video rearview camera input which allows you to connect an optional backup camera with a composite video connector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Guidelines: The rear-view camera function also provides on-screen color-coded guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle into a parking space. There is also a Hitch Guide feature which marks the position of the junction between your vehicle and your trailer on the head unit's monitor, when backing up.
- Auto Rearview Switching: If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
- Optional Dual Camera Interface: The Alpine KCX-C2600B Multi-Camera Selector Interface (500KCXC260, sold separately) allows as many as two cameras (including an Alpine front & rear camera - sold separately) to be connected to the iLX-F309.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: The Alpine iLX-F309 is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Alpine receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Alpine head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Alpine receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Audio/Video Input: The Alpine iLX-F309 is fitted with one rear-panel AV minijack (3.5mm) input to connect an external AV source.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
41 questions already asked