About the Alpine INE-W970HD
GPS, better sound, and phone integration from Alpine
GPS, better sound, and phone integration from Alpine
When it comes to choosing touchscreen radios, it makes sense to consider cost versus features. Alpine's INE-W970HD navigation receiver makes a solid case for itself with both Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay® compatibility, plus built-in GPS directions for those times when your phone reception isn't up to par. And if those features plus legendary Alpine sonic upgrades weren't enough for you, it adds CD/DVD playback and plenty of media connections. For the radio fans, it offers a built-in HD Radio™ tuner and compatibility with SiriusXM satellite radio.
Works with both Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®
The INE-W970HD's compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so you and your passengers can enjoy messaging, mapping, tune selection, and much more from your smartphone without touching any screens. Both platforms work with voice commands, which you can activate by speaking a keyword or pressing the dedicated "Voice" button on the stereo's bezel. You can get stuff done without being distracted by your phone. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay and www.android.com/auto.
Stay on course with GPS directions
Alpine's navigation features start with detailed maps for the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You'll hear spoken directions with actual street names announced at turns. As you approach your next maneuver, the map automatically zooms to give you a better view. You can even change the display to show 3D terrain views or to incorporate 3D representations of buildings and landmarks. Lane guidance and junction view provide additional assurance for complicated interchanges.
A sharp screen and smart connections
The INE-W970HD boasts a beautiful 6.5" touchscreen, providing an easy-to-use home for your entertainment and information needs. You can see album artwork and song titles in a jiffy, or glean directions from the map without having to squint. Two USB inputs let you hook up a phone to one and a thumb drive with music or movies to the other at the same time. The HDMI input allows for smartphone mirroring with select Android devices, or you can add an external media source, like a Blu-ray player or game system. Two camera inputs let you see even more around your vehicle in tight situations.
Old-school disc owner? Play 'em to your heart's delight
Streaming might be the future for some, but many folks still enjoy the smartphone-free convenience of playing store-bought CDs or burned discs full of files. The INE-W970 lets you travel with all kinds of file formats, and you can enjoy CD-quality sound (or better) from the driver's seat. If you and your passengers want to catch a movie while parked, you can send the video signal from the stereo to your vehicle's rear-seat entertainment system.
HD Radio™, Pandora® Internet radio, and more
The INE-W970HD offers a wide variety of entertainment options in addition to the disc player:
- HD Radio reception: You'll enjoy crystal-clear sound quality from participating AM and FM stations, including FM that sounds almost as good as a CD. Plus, you'll see station and song info on the screen.
- Pandora Internet radio and iPhone and iPod® control: Easy on-screen control through Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and you can also control Pandora through Bluetooth with your Android device if your device isn't connected.
- Satellite radio compatibility: You can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and your paid subscription.
Trademark Alpine sound improvements
The receiver's 24-bit digital-to-analog converter provides excellent sonic reproduction for all your CDs and digital media sources, while the Time Correction feature lets you focus the stereo image for the driver's seat. Alpine's MediaXpander Pro technology makes your compressed audio sources sound as good as possible. Plus, you can customize the sound for your vehicle, including upholstery type, number of speakers, and speaker locations, for the optimum tuning settings. Alpine includes a Bass Boost direct key to let you pump the low end when the tune is calling for it.
Tweak your audio with the TuneIt app
The INE-W970HD also works with Alpine's TuneIt smartphone app, which is a real time-saver for making audio fixes. For starters, it allows you to create a user profile with info about your vehicle and Alpine system, including speakers and subs. You can then follow simple instructions for adjusting sound settings for your specific vehicle (if available), or choose from pre-made settings within the app designed by Alpine for both the vehicle and your speakers.
You can use your phone's touchscreen to make the changes to the 9-band parametric equalizer, crossover, and time correction with just a fingertip. You can then share your system and settings with other TuneIt app users, and see what they've done as well. You can link your TuneIt account to your Facebook account and get notifications through social media.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility.
Some states and localities prohibit or restrict the use of video and information displays in vehicles — it is your responsibility to see if any restrictions or prohibitions apply in your area.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- 6.5" resistive touchscreen
- built-in GPS navigation
- plays media loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- Waze-ready with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatible
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- display and command of select music, navigation, and other apps with iPhone and Android
- Pandora and Spotify control with iPhone and Android
- smartphone mirroring with select Android devices
- HDMI/MHL cable required for viewing video content from compatible Android devices
- built-in navigation system with 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain
- maps of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, plus 7 million points of interest
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 9-band parametric equalizer
- Time Correction feature for a stronger stereo image
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- MediaXpander Pro compensates for compressed music sources
- compatible with Alpine PXA-H800 IMPRINT audio processor and RUX-C800 controller
- compatible with Alpine TuneIt app for sonic profile settings and adjustments through your smartphone
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear HDMI input; 2 rear USB inputs; rear A/V input; two camera inputs
- outputs: auxiliary output (rear); 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings, video display, and other features on this receiver (the parking brake must be connected and set, released, and set again)
- internal amp (18 watts RMS CTA-2006/45 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # INE-W970HD
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ integrated 6.5" touchscreen monitor
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness (15A fuse)
- Pre-out harness
- AV harness
- Two 5' USB extension cables
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 8' cable)
- Microphone (w/ attached 12.5' cable)
- Mic bracket
- Two-sided tape
- Self-adhesive pad
- 3 Cable-clips
- 2 Removal tools
- 8 Pan-head machine screws (M5x8mm)
- 6 Countersunk machine screws (M5x8mm)
- Quick Reference Guide
- "Thank You" Letter
Alpine INE-W970HD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine INE-W970HD
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (Rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple,Google,Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google,Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
HERE Map Data: The Alpine INE-W970HD offers reliable navigation with preloaded HERE map data of the United States and Canada, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The map database provides approximately 6 million points-of-interest (POIs) in various categories throughout the coverage area. The unit's map data is stored on its built-in flash memory.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2018), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Future Updates: Future Map and Software updates will be available periodically and are input using the unit's USB port and a USB thumbdrive (sold separately). For updates and add-on options, please visit www.naviextras.com (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac). A free program called "Toolbox" can be downloaded from this website so you can create a copy of your map as a backup, as well as assist in easily checking for updates and optional features that are available.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Alpine INE-W970HD features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna should be mounted on top of the dashboard near the front windshield.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 12.3 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It took approximately 6.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the INE-W970HD guides you to your destination via its on-screen map. The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets in a way that is similar to how the paper road maps show them. Their width and colors correspond to their importance; you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about the next route event (maneuver) and the next street or the next city/town. Both the type of the event (turn, traffic circle, exiting freeway, etc.) and its distance from the current position are displayed. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. Two data fields on the left of the screen shows the distance you need to travel on the route before reaching your final destination and the time needed to reach your final destination of the route based on information available for the remaining segments of the route. You can adjust the following map settings.
- Map Views (2D/3D): The INE-W970HD provides three Map Views, choose from North Up (North is always at the top of the display; this makes it easy to determine your current heading with respect to the map), Heading Up (current direction is always pointing to the top of the display; this makes it easy to see the direction of the next turn on the map), or 3D View (more realistic perspective by tilting the map and displaying it with a horizon line; streets are displayed as you approach them instead of from a birds-eye view). The INE-W970HDs navigation software supports the following 3D object types.
- 3D Terrain: 3D terrain map data shows changes in terrain, elevations or depressions in the land when you view the map in 2D, and use it to plot the route map in 3D when you navigate. Hills and mountains are shown in the background of the 3D map.
- Elevated Roads: Complex intersections and vertically isolated roads (such as overpasses or bridges) are displayed in 3D.
- 3D Landmarks: Landmarks are 3D artistic or block representations of prominent or well-known objects.
- 3D Buildings: 3D block representation of full city building data containing actual building size and position on the map.
- Map Color: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The night color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: Alpine's Dual Screen function lets you view Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side.
Highway Driver Assistance: The INE-W970HD's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel views, plus exit services for highway drivers.
- Lane Information: When navigating on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction & Tunnel View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available. When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
Voice Guidance w/ Text-to-Speech: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the INE-W970HD provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions, capable of text-to-speech (TTS), announcing the street names along with the turn directions. With turn-by-turn instructions delivered by Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology, street names, freeway numbers and freeway exit names are announced clearly through your vehicle's audio system. Audible directions are available in English, Spanish, or French.
Note: The INE-W970HD will mute the audio source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your audio source's volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Traffic Message Channel (TMC): The Alpine INE-W970HD contains a TMC (Traffic Message Channel) receiver that can provide you with the real-time status of the traffic along your route over the FM Radio Data System (RDS). If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. To fine-tune this recalculation, you can set the minimum delay that can trigger a route recalculation, or you can instruct the software to have you confirm the new recommended route before it takes effect. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event.
Note: TMC is not available in all cities.
Where AM I?: The "Where Am I?" screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency services nearby.
Selecting A Destination: The built-in navigation software offers you several ways of choosing your destination.
- Free-Form Search: A quick way to search for an address, a Place, an Address Book entry, or a History item is to use the free-form search. Simply enter a street address (just the street name or both the street and the house number), the name of a Place, a previous destination or an Address Book entry from this one search screen.
- Browse Map: Select a location on the map by simply tapping the map.
- Address: You can find an address by entering the exact address (including house number), the center of a city/town, an intersection, the midpoint of a street, or zip code.
- Address Book: Save frequented locations in the unit's address book to quickly add as a destination (like your home or office).
- Places (POI): Select from approximately 7 million Point-of-Interests (POIs); search POIs by name, preset, or category around your current location, destination, route, or specific city.
- History: Destinations you have set previously appear in the History search.
- Coordinates: Enter Latitude and Longitude coordinates as your destination.
Note: Any destination selection method can be entered with or without the parking brake engaged.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel).
Route Calculation: The unit's navigation software calculates your route based on the following selections.
- Vehicle Types: You can select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Methods: You can choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fast: Gives a quick route if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best selection for fast and normal cars.
- Short: Gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles.
- Green: Gives a quick and fuel efficient route based on the fuel consumption data given in Route settings. Travel cost and CO2 emission calculations are estimations only. They cannot take elevations, curves and traffic conditions into account.
- Easy: Results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers. With this option, you can make your software to take, for example, the freeway instead of a series of smaller roads or streets.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Modifying Your Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. Options include:
- Add Waypoint: If you already have a recommended route and you select a new destination, the unit will ask you whether to start a new route, add a new waypoint (intermediate destination) to the route or append the newly selected destination at the end of the current route.
- New Starting Position: For normal navigation, all routes are planned from the current position. In order to check future routes, simulate them or see their length in time and distance, you can turn off the GPS receiver. Then you can set the starting point of the route to a different location than the current GPS position.
- Edit Destination: You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations. You can add or remove destinations, modify the start position or reorder the list.
- Cancel Route: You can cancel the active route and delete its destination and all its waypoints.
- Route Alternatives: To recalculate the active route with a different route planning method, you can modify the unit's Route settings.
Route Preview: The INE-W970HD lets you preview your route's instructions and simulate the drive. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can also preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Automatic Route Recalculation + Detour: The unit will automatically recalculates your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route. When you slow down while driving on a motorway, there is a chance that you are in a traffic jam so the software offers you a detour using the next exit. The message shows you distance of the exit and the difference in distance and estimated time compared to the original route.
Warnings & Alerts: The INE-W970HD's navigation software provides the following warnings & alerts.
- Alert Points: You can save any map location as an alert point (for example a speed camera or a railroad crossing).
- Speed Limit Warnings: Maps may contain information about the speed limits of the road segments. The navigation head unit is able to warn you if you exceed the current limit. This information may not be available in all areas, or may not be fully correct for all roads in the map. Speed warning can be fine-tuned in Sound and Warning settings.
Trip Monitor: The navigation system's trip monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip monitor data can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip monitor data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Android Auto: The Alpine INE-W970HD navigation receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel lower USB port (labeled "CP/AA") using the included grey USB extension cable and the USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen interface that is simple to use in the vehicle. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Alpine receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "Voice" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smarthome enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Alpine receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Alpine receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- It is recommended that you only use the USB extension cable included in the box with this receiver. If you need a longer USB extension cable, make sure to purchase an "Android Certified" cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). However, you cannot use the included USB cable in conjunction with another USB extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Because only the lower USB port supports Android Auto and CarPlay, you cannot have an Android Auto and CarPlay smartphone connected at the same time. But, you can easily switch phone connections from the lower USB port and grey USB extension cable.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone will need to be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel lower USB port (labeled "CP/AA") using the the included grey USB extension cable and the the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or other Apple Certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Apple CarPlay is specially designed for driving scenarios. You can control CarPlay from the Alpine receiver's touchscreen controls or use Siri to control to control CarPlay with just your voice. You'll be able to use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mails, send/receive text messages, select music, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Navigation Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via the Google Maps or Waze application instead of Apple Maps. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Alpine receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Alpine receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- You will need to indicate that you are using CarPlay and not a USB Direct or Bluetooth connection for iPhone.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- It is recommended that you only use the USB extension cable included in the box with this receiver. If you need a longer USB extension cable, make sure to purchase an "Apple Certified" cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). However, you cannot use the included USB cable in conjunction with another USB extension cable.
- Because only the lower USB port supports Android Auto and CarPlay, you cannot have an Android Auto and CarPlay smartphone connected at the same time. But, you can easily switch phone connections from the lower USB port and grey USB extension cable.
Smartphone Mirroring via HDMI: With the vehicle's parking brake engaged you can mirror your mobile device's image and watch stored video and video apps on the navigation receiver's touchscreen monitor through the HDMI input. Stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPod/iPhone device can be heard through your speaker system without the parking brake engaged; however, there is no song/artist information display unless the parking brake is engaged. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device to select content, apps, and control playback.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. *Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Android Connectivity: Use Alpine's KCU-610MH HDMI cable kit (sold separately) to connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note II/III/IV requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). Newer Samsung Galaxy and Note devices do not support MHL. The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges the battery of your Android smartphone.
iPhone Lightning-to-USB Direct Connect: The Alpine receiver supports direct connection of your Apple iPhone with Lightning connector through lower rear-panel USB port (labeled "CP/AA") and the included gray USB cable, plus the cable that came with your Apple device or other "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable. The INE-W970HD supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your USB-connected Apple device with Lightning connector.
- Head Unit Control: The Alpine INE-W970HD lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically. The head unit also offers playback functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat for stored music files. Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track are supported by many music apps too; not all apps will be compatible. Your USB-connected iPhone will remain unlocked, so you can use its touchscreen to access music apps.
- Song/Artist Information: The Alpine in-dash navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information (including album art) and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Note: In the head unit's menu you'll need to indicate that you are using the Lightning-to-USB direct connection and not CarPlay.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine INE-W-970HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 11/22/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video/Mirror||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Not compatible with older 30-pin iPod/iPhone devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The INE-W970HD features a built-in GPS receiver, comes with an external GPS antenna, and is outfitted with a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire to optimize CarPlay's Apple Maps and Android Auto's Google Maps. The GPS antenna should be mounted on top of the dashboard near the front windshield.
Bluetooth 4.0: The Alpine INE-W970HD features built-in Bluetooth 4.0. The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine INE-W970HD.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled device to the INE-W970HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). You can register up to 5 Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit, and keep two phones connected simultaneously. That way you can switch between mobile phone devices a lot quicker without having to un-connect and re-connect devices.
Note: In the head unit's menu you'll need to indicate that you are using a Bluetooth connection for iPhone and not CarPlay. Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while CarPlay or Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
Hands-Free Communication: The Alpine INE-W970HD supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The INE-W970HD allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the the included external mic and your car audio speakers. You'll be able to manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" icon the head unit's touchscreen.The Alpine INE-W970HD provides a variety of functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The INE-W970HD features full phone book access, call history, presets/favorites, and phone number entry.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can then search the contacts of your phonebook alphabetically.
- Presets & Favorites: You can assign up to 4 phone numbers for one-touch dialing to make a call easily. You can also make a phone call using the Short Cut function of numbers that you have registered as Favorites.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (60 total) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Alpine INE-W970HD can stream music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). You can control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Shuffle) from the head unit's touchscreen. Advanced music browsing will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title (no Album Art). The INE-W970HD even supports audio streaming of music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone with song/artist information and limited control (continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to control advanced music app navigation).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Compatible Discs: The Alpine INE-W970HD will play back DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, and CD-R/RW discs (12cm only). It will also support two-layer DVD discs. This unit can play a variety of audio and video files recorded onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW discs. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
- Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A DVD/CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When a disc is ejected and left sticking out of the disc slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
- Parental Lock: Parental Lock allows you to restrict the playback of DVDs that are unsuitable for younger viewers. You can select a parental lock rating from 1-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
- Angle Mounting: For proper disc playback, Alpine recommends mounting the INE-W970HD no more that 30° above horizontal.
USB MSC Playback: The Alpine INE-W970HD is equipped with dual rear-panel USB ports and comes with two 5' USB extension cables. The lower USB port (labeled "CP/AA)") and gray USB extension cable is for Android Auto, CarPlay, or iPhone direct connection. The upper USB port (labled "USB") and black USB cable is dedicated for USB MSC (mass storage class devices), such as a USB thumbdrive. The unit supports playback of a variety of audio and video files stored on a compatible USB MSC device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The USB Ports do not support computers, USB hubs, or card-readers. The USB ports also do not support Android devices via MTP or AOA.
Media File Playback: The Alpine INE-W970HD supports the following audio and video files recorded onto disc or loaded onto a USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO 9660 Level 1/2 or Joliet||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Video||AVI/MKV/MP4: Optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||10,000 files/folders|
|Tags||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC tags, & Album Art|
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine INE-W970HD is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, and Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- SmartFavorite Presets + Jump: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. All presets are recognized a SmartFavorites with advanced features like TuneStart, & TuneScan. The Jump feature lets you store your absolute favorite channel so you can jump to it with the press of a dedicated button and then jump back to the previous channel.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite preset channel on the current band. TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels on the currently tuned band.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay content from the currently tuned SiriusXM channel. The SiriusXM tuner will continually buffer up to 60 minutes of audio from the currently tuned channel.
- Song/Artist/Game Alerts: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text w/ Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, plus Album Art. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the touchscreen monitor of the Alpine INE-W970HD. The RDS (Radio Data System) is a radio information system for analog FM. The RDS allows you to receive a variety of information such as traffic information, station names, and song information from standard analog FM radio stations.
- Preset & Direct Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search. You can also input a station number directly from the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Quality Setting: This unit can be set to three different FM tuner quality settings - Normal (standard), HiFi (high-quality), or Stable (controls noise).
- Ballgame Mode: In a live broadcast, such as a sportscast, a time lag occurs between digital sound and analog sound. Therefore, when live broadcasts are received, time lag between the real broadcast may occur and this unit can change to analog broadcasting automatically.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CTA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CTA-2006 logo on their product.
- CTA-2006 Power Rating: 16 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: Add the KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack (500KTP445A, sold separately) to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/4V Preouts + Sub Control: The INE-W970HD has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0-degrees) or Reverse (180-degrees).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
Built-in EQ: The INE-W970HD navigation receiver is equipped with a variety of EQ presets for different types of music, plus a 3-Band EQ for fine-tuning the sound to your preference.
- EQ Presets: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of music source material. Choose from Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 3-Band EQ: In addition to the EQ Presets, you can manually adjust the head unit's Bass, Mid, and Treble from -14 to +14.
Audio Enhancements: The INE-W970HD provides Time Correction and Media Xpander HD to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
- Media Xpander HD: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander HD is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander HD makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The FM radio, USB memory, HDMI, iPhone/iPod, Pandora, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The volume of this feature can be set from 0-7.
Audio/Video Input: The INE-W970HD is outfitted with a rear-panel AV input that consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks that allow you to connect an external audio/video source.
HDMI Input: The head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. The HDMI input supports video resolutions of 480p or 720p. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a DVD, USB, or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Note: The head unit's HDMI input cannot be transmitted through the video out.
Rear Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera (such as the 500HCEC125, sold separately). The rear-view camera function helps you to see behind your vehicle and provides on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle. If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 seconds.
Front Camera Input: The Alpine head unit also features a dedicated front camera input that consists of a composite video jack for connection of a front view camera (sold separately).
6.5" Touchscreen Display: The INE-W970HD has a 6.5" WVGA (1.15 million-pixel) touchscreen LCD monitor (with 16:9 aspect ratio) that serves as a video monitor, information display, and system controller. The INE-W970HD's touchscreen monitor provides a more balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so movies are seen with greater clarity. All of the graphics are crisp and clean for your viewing pleasure. The touchscreen display offers tap and swipe control functions.
- Dual Screen: The Alpine INE-W970HD lets you display the Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side. Simply tap on the one you want to see full screen.
- Hard-Keys: Conveniently located Power/Menu, Source, Maps, Volume Up/Down, Previous/Next Track, Favorite, and Voice buttons are accessible along the bottom edge of the 6.5" touchscreen monitor for quick access and simple control.
Note: For safety and legal reasons, the INE-W970HD features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source (DVD, AV-In, HDMI, or USB) and accessing the receiver's on-screen setup menu while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source or accessed the on-screen setup menu, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. CarPlay & Android Auto do not require the Parking Brake to be engaged.
Start Up Time: The Alpine INE-W970HD has a start up time of approximately 21.7 seconds from Off to the Navigation Map, Source Selections, or Main Menu.
My Menus: Frequently used functions, such as the Audio or Navigation mode, can be customized and easily recalled by adding them to the My Menu sceen for greater convenience. You can register up to 8 My Menu screens. You can add the same feature to more than one My Menu screen.
Display Settings: The Alpine INE-W970HD navigation receivers offers a variety of displays adjustments - including Picture Quality, Variable Color Illumination, Dimmer Control, Display Off, and 12/24Hr Clock.
- Picture Quality: You are able to adjust the brightness, color, tint, contrast, and sharpness levels of the navigation receiver's LCD touchscreen.
- Variable Color Illumination: You can adjust the receiver's LCD screen color from Blue, Red, Green, Amber, or White. You can also adjust the color illumination of the head unit's hard-key buttons from Blue, Turquoise, Red, Yellow, Green, Amber, or White.
- Dimmer Control: You can then select one of the following dimmer control modes for both the LCD's backlight and button illumination - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright).
- Display Off: You can turn off the LCD touchscreen completely with only the hard-key buttons illuminated and still enjoy audio playback.
- 12/24-Hour Clock: The INE-W970HD lets you select between a 12 hour or 24 hour clock. The clock is displayed on each source screen and turns off when the head unit is powered down.
Remote Control: The Alpine INE-W970HD offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and supports Alpine's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine INE-W970HD is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RU4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's basic tuner & disc functions. The remote does not offer navigation control.
The Alpine INE-W970HD replaces these items
- includes SiriusXM satellite radio tuner plus 3 free months of All Access programming with tuner activation and subscription
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- iPhone control through USB, plus HDMI input for Android smartphone connectivity
13 questions already asked