About the Alpine INE-W987HD
No discs? No problem with this Alpine nav stereo
No discs? No problem with this Alpine nav stereo
When you're on the go, you don't have time to stop to switch out discs for your favorite tunes, or to let a lack of cell service keep you from finding your way around. Alpine's INE-W987HD navigation receiver keeps you connected with smartphone integration and audio delights galore, while its built-in navigation ensures you're always on the right path. Its improved interface lets you find the functions you want even quicker, and you can take in album artwork and maps in a flash on the stereo's 7" display. And, since it doesn't offer a disc player, it can fit into most vehicles with 4" tall dash openings.
Works with both Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®
The INE-W987's compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so you and your passengers can enjoy messaging, mapping, tune selection, and much more from your smartphone without touching any screens. Both platforms work with voice commands, which you can activate by speaking a keyword or pressing the dedicated "Voice" button on the stereo's bezel. You can get stuff done without being distracted by your phone. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay and www.android.com/auto.
Improved user interface
Alpine had a real winner on their hands with 2017's INE-W977HD navigation receiver, but they've found a way to make things even easier on drivers with this stereo. The response time to commands is much quicker, so you're never behind the action. And the user interface's upgraded to get you to your preferred display even faster, so you don't feel like you're wasting time.
Four-way swipe control lets you immediately pull up navigation, Bluetooth®, entertainment sources, or settings, while dedicated hard keys also help you find the right screen with ease. And the INE-W987's capacitive 7" touchscreen gives you pinch-to-zoom command of your maps and other screens, so you're able to get the best view.
Take a trip nearly anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, and you'll enjoy detailed road maps and over six million included points of interest. You'll also have time-saving assistants like lane guidance, realistic views of complicated interchanges, and 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain to help keep you on the correct course. You'll even receive real-time traffic reports in most metropolitan areas for as long as you own the Alpine, at no additional cost.
Works with Alpine Go! from your smartphone
Say you're browsing your phone while at the office and you come across a great new restaurant you want to check out. You save the location on your phone's Google Maps app, but when it's time to get into your car, do you want to go through the trouble of searching for it again on your receiver? The free Alpine Go! app sends saved locations from your phone right to the INE-W987HD, so you can have all your favorite spots loaded and ready to go before you hit the road.
Pull up your favorites in one touch
The receiver's "Favorites" button gives you quick access to features you use frequently, like contacts, radio station frequencies, sound settings, and destination searches — anything you'll want to pull up rapidly, including beloved CarPlay and Android Auto functions. One touch adds your choice directly to the favorites menu. Your favorites are tied to your phone's Bluetooth profile, so the INE-W987HD recalls your favorites automatically when you get into your vehicle. When the stereo detects two users at the same time, it can offer split-screen access to both users' favorites, so either user can gain control of the action lickety-split.
HD Radio™, Pandora® Internet radio, and more
The INE-W987HD offers a wide variety of entertainment options, even without a disc player:
- HD Radio reception: You'll enjoy crystal-clear sound quality from participating AM and FM stations, including FM that sounds almost as good as a CD. Plus, you'll see station and song info on the screen.
- Pandora Internet radio and iPhone and iPod® control: Easy on-screen control through Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and you can also control Pandora through Bluetooth with your Android device if your device isn't connected.
- Satellite radio compatibility: You can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and your paid subscription.
Alpine accessories give you even more ways to play
The INE-W978HD does a lot right out of the box. But these Alpine accessories can add even more functionality to what's already an amazing receiver.
Add cameras: Cameras are fast becoming a must-have car accessory, and adding Alpine's KCX-C250MC selector to your INE-W987HD will let you take full advantage of its video capability by connecting up to three cameras (not included).
Add another HDMI input: The INE-W987HD has one HDMI input, which is impressive enough, but in today's world, you might need more. If you want to use both your smartphone and another video source through your receiver's display. Alpine's KCX-630HD HDMI Switcher gives you a pair of HDMI inputs, plus a USB port for providing power to your smartphone or tablet.
Add a disc player: If you still want to be able to play discs occasionally, check out Alpine's DVE-5300 DVD player. This compact, single-DIN player fits into discreet spots in your vehicle, like a glove box or under a seat. With an HDMI connection to a monitor and the option to channel audio through an optical output, you'll get the best possible picture and audio.
Customize your truck: If your truck or SUV is equipped with an aftermarket winch, light bar, air compressor, or other electrical accessories, you can control that gear through the INE-W987HD, too. Just add an optional Alpine KAC-001 external accessory controller to your order.
Tweak your audio with the TuneIt app
The INE-W987HD also works with Alpine's TuneIt smartphone app, which is a real time-saver for making audio fixes. For starters, it allows you to create a user profile with info about your vehicle and Alpine system, including speakers and subs. You can then follow simple instructions for adjusting sound settings for your specific vehicle (if available), or choose from pre-made settings within the app designed by Alpine for both the vehicle and your speakers.
You can use your phone's touchscreen to make the changes to the 9-band parametric equalizer, crossover, and time correction with just a fingertip. You can then share your system and settings with other TuneIt app users, and see what they've done as well. You can link your TuneIt account to your Facebook account and get notifications through social media.
Superior sound you'd expect from Alpine
The INE-W987HD boasts front and rear independent EQs, so you can fine-tune the audio for each listening position in your vehicle. The TuneIt app also offers Alpine's Bass Engine SQ tuning feature, which lets you determine which low-frequency characteristics you want to emphasize. It automatically adjusts EQ, sub level, and crossover settings to give you the kind of bass you desire without hassle.
And speaking of great sound, this Alpine lets you play FLAC audio files from your thumb drive, so you can enjoy your lossless tunes as you travel.
Video? But of course!
Adding a disc player or have a thumb drive with video files on it? You can use the receiver's HDMI connection to connect to send video to your vehicle's rear-seat entertainment system to keep your passengers happy. Independent dual-zone video control lets you watch movies up front and send different video content to the back while you're parked. The HDMI input also allows for smartphone mirroring with select Android devices,
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The INE-W987HD offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Alpine's screen. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs or DVDs.
Some states and localities prohibit or restrict the use of video and information displays in vehicles — it is your responsibility to see if any restrictions or prohibitions apply in your area.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in GPS navigation
- plays media loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (plus high-res FLAC)
- 7" capacitive touchscreen
- Waze-ready with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatible
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- display and command of select music, navigation, and other apps with iPhone and Android
- Pandora and Spotify control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free control with select iPhones
- smartphone mirroring with select Android devices
- HDMI/MHL cable required for viewing video content from compatible Android devices
- built-in navigation system with 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain
- maps of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- free lifetime HERE traffic service in metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance and junction view
- pinch-to-zoom map interface
- Alpine Go! app sends destination from your phone to the INE-W987HD
- plays USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 9-band parametric EQ
- front/rear independent EQ settings
- time correction
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- dual-zone A/V output
- compatible with Alpine TuneIt app for sonic profile settings and adjustments through your smartphone
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- compatible with optional Accessory Control Module, Multi-Camera Selector Interface, DVD player, and HDMI switcher
- inputs: rear USB input; rear A/V input (occupied if used with optional iDatalink Maestro module); rear-view camera input
- outputs: HDMI output; 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- external microphone included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # INE-W987HD
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ integrated 7" LCD touchscreen
- Wiring harness
- Pre-out harness
- Mic/SWC harness
- iDatalink/Aux/Camera harness
- Camera input adapter
- 5' USB extension cable
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 8' cable)
- Microphone (w/ attached 12.5' cable)
- Mic bracket
- Two-sided tape
- Self-adhesive pad
- 3 Cable-clips
- 4 Pan-head machine screws (M5x8mm)
- 4 Countersunk machine screws (M5x8mm)
- HDMI connector-clamp
- Quick Reference Guide
- Installation Manual
- Online Registration Sheet
More details on the Alpine INE-W987HD
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple,Google,Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
HERE Map Data: The Alpine INE-W987HD offers reliable navigation with preloaded HERE map data of the United States and Canada, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The map database provides approximately 6 million points-of-interest (POIs) in various categories throughout the coverage area. The unit's map data is stored on its built-in flash memory.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2018), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Future Updates: Future Map and Software updates will be available periodically and are input using the unit's USB port and a USB thumbdrive (sold separately). For updates and add-on options, please visit www.naviextras.com (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac). A free program called "Toolbox" can be downloaded from this website so you can create a copy of your map as a backup, as well as assist in easily checking for updates and optional features that are available.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Alpine INE-W987HD features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna should be mounted on top of the dashboard near the front windshield.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 7.3 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It took approximately 4.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the INE-W987HD guides you to your destination via its on-screen map. The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets in a way that is similar to how the paper road maps show them. Their width and colors correspond to their importance; you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about the next route event (maneuver) and the next street or the next city/town. Both the type of the event (turn, traffic circle, exiting freeway, etc.) and its distance from the current position are displayed. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. Two data fields on the left of the screen shows the distance you need to travel on the route before reaching your final destination and the time needed to reach your final destination of the route based on information available for the remaining segments of the route. You can adjust the following map settings.
- Map Views (2D/3D): The INE-W987HD provides three Map
Views, choose from North Up (North is always at the top of the display; this
makes it easy to determine your current heading with respect to the map),
Heading Up (current direction is always pointing to the top of the display;
this makes it easy to see the direction of the next turn on the map), or 3D
View (more realistic perspective by tilting the map and displaying it with a
horizon line; streets are displayed as you approach them instead of from a
birds-eye view). The INE-W987HDs navigation software supports the following 3D
- 3D Terrain: 3D terrain map data shows changes in terrain, elevations or depressions in the land when you view the map in 2D, and use it to plot the route map in 3D when you navigate. Hills and mountains are shown in the background of the 3D map.
- Elevated Roads: Complex intersections and vertically isolated roads (such as overpasses or bridges) are displayed in 3D.
- 3D Landmarks: Landmarks are 3D artistic or block representations of prominent or well-known objects.
- 3D Buildings: 3D block representation of full city building data containing actual building size and position on the map.
- Map Color: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The night color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: Alpine's Dual Screen function lets you view Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side.
Highway Driver Assistance: The INE-W987HD's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel views, plus exit services for highway drivers.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction & Tunnel View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available. When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
Voice Guidance w/ Text-to-Speech: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the INE-W987HD provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions, capable of text-to-speech (TTS), announcing the street names along with the turn directions. With turn-by-turn instructions delivered by Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology, street names, freeway numbers and freeway exit names are announced clearly through your vehicle's audio system. Audible directions are available in English, Spanish, or French.
Note: The INE-W987HD will mute the audio source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your audio source's volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Traffic Message Channel (TMC): The Alpine INE-W987HD contains a TMC (Traffic Message Channel) receiver that can provide you with the real-time status of the traffic along your route over the FM Radio Data System (RDS). If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. To fine-tune this recalculation, you can set the minimum delay that can trigger a route recalculation, or you can instruct the software to have you confirm the new recommended route before it takes effect. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event.
Note: TMC is not available in all cities.
Where AM I?: The "Where Am I?" screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency services nearby.
Selecting A Destination: The built-in navigation software offers you several ways of choosing your destination.
- Free-Form Search: A quick way to search for an address, a Place, an Address Book entry, or a History item is to use the free-form search. Simply enter a street address (just the street name or both the street and the house number), the name of a Place, a previous destination or an Address Book entry from this one search screen.
- Browse Map: Select a location on the map by simply tapping the map.
- Address: You can find an address by entering the exact address (including house number), the center of a city/town, an intersection, the midpoint of a street, or zip code.
- Address Book: Save frequented locations in the unit's address book to quickly add as a destination (like your home or office).
- Places (POI): Select from approximately 7 million Point-of-Interests (POIs); search POIs by name, preset, or category around your current location, destination, route, or specific city.
- History: Destinations you have set previously appear in the History search.
- Coordinates: Enter Latitude and Longitude coordinates as your destination.
Note: Any destination selection method can be entered with or without the parking brake engaged.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel).
Route Calculation: The unit's navigation software calculates your route based on the following selections.
- Vehicle Types: You can select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Methods: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when
calculating your route.
- Fast: Gives a quick route if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best selection for fast and normal cars.
- Short: Gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles.
- Green: Gives a quick and fuel efficient route based on the fuel consumption data given in Route settings. Travel cost and CO2 emission calculations are estimations only. They cannot take elevations, curves and traffic conditions into account.
- Easy: Results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers. With this option, you can make your software to take, for example, the freeway instead of a series of smaller roads or streets.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Modifying Your Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. Options include:
- Add Waypoint: If you already have a recommended route and you select a new destination, the unit will ask you whether to start a new route, add a new waypoint (intermediate destination) to the route or append the newly selected destination at the end of the current route.
- New Starting Position: For normal navigation, all routes are planned from the current position. In order to check future routes, simulate them or see their length in time and distance, you can turn off the GPS receiver. Then you can set the starting point of the route to a different location than the current GPS position.
- Edit Destination: You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations. You can add or remove destinations, modify the start position or reorder the list.
- Cancel Route: You can cancel the active route and delete its destination and all its waypoints.
- Route Alternatives: To recalculate the active route with a different route planning method, you can modify the unit's Route settings.
Route Preview: The INE-W987HD lets you preview your route's instructions and simulate the drive. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can also preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Automatic Route Recalculation + Detour: The unit will automatically recalculates your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route. When you slow down while driving on a motorway, there is a chance that you are in a traffic jam so the software offers you a detour using the next exit. The message shows you distance of the exit and the difference in distance and estimated time compared to the original route.
Warnings & Alerts: The INE-W987HD's navigation software provides the following warnings & alerts.
- Alert Points: You can save any map location as an alert point (for example a speed camera or a railroad crossing).
- Speed Limit Warnings: Maps may contain information about the speed limits of the road segments. The navigation head unit is able to warn you if you exceed the current limit. This information may not be available in all areas, or may not be fully correct for all roads in the map. Speed warning can be fine-tuned in Sound and Warning settings.
Trip Monitor: The navigation system's trip monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip monitor data can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip monitor data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Android Auto: The Alpine INE-W987HD navigation receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel USB port using the included USB extension cable and the USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen interface that is simple to use in the vehicle. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Alpine receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "Voice" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smarthome enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Alpine receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Alpine receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- It is recommended that you only use the USB extension cable included in the box with this receiver. If you need a longer USB extension cable, make sure to purchase an "Android Certified" cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). However, you cannot use the included USB cable in conjunction with another USB extension cable.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone will need to be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel USB port using the included USB extension cable and the the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or other Apple Certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Apple CarPlay is specially designed for driving scenarios. You can control CarPlay from the Alpine receiver's touchscreen controls or use Siri to control to control CarPlay with just your voice. You'll be able to use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mails, send/receive text messages, select music, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Navigation Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via the Google Maps or Waze application instead of Apple Maps. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Alpine receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Alpine receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- It is recommended that you only use the USB extension cable included in the box with this receiver. If you need a longer USB extension cable, make sure to purchase an "Apple Certified" cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). However, you cannot use the included USB cable in conjunction with another USB extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The INE-W987HD features a built-in GPS receiver, comes with an external GPS antenna, and is outfitted with a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire to optimize CarPlay's Apple Maps and Android Auto's Google Maps. The GPS antenna should be mounted on top of the dashboard near the front windshield.
HDMI Connectivity: The Alpine INE-W987HD offers HDMI connectivity for an optional DVD player, smartphone connectivity and/or rear seat entertainment (RSE).
- HDMI Input: The HDMI input provides connection to an optional DVD player (such as Alpine's DVE-5300, sold separately). The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. The HDMI input supports video resolutions up to 480p. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device, unless you are connecting the DVE-5300 DVD player which does allow control from the INE-W987HD's touchscreen.
- HDMI Output (w/ Dual Zone): The INE-W987HD is also equipped with an HDMI monitor output for rear seat entertainment (RSE). The rear seat entertainment function independently routes a different source to the front and rear of the vehicle. For example, while listening to the head unit's built-in HD radio or other audio source in the front, the receiver's HDMI input can be enjoyed in the rear with optional rear monitors (featuring an HDMI input) and headphones. The unit's HDMI input is the only source that can be displayed in in the rear through the head unit's HDMI output. The HDMI output supports video resolution up to 480p. The parking brake does not need to be engaged to enjoy HDMI playback in the rear of the vehicle.
Smartphone Mirroring via HDMI: With the vehicle's parking brake engaged you can mirror your mobile device's image and watch stored video and video apps on the navigation receiver's touchscreen monitor through the HDMI input. Stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPod/iPhone device can be heard through your speaker system without the parking brake engaged; however, there is no song/artist information display unless the parking brake is engaged. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device to select content, apps, and control playback.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. *Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Android Connectivity: Use Alpine's KCU-610MH HDMI cable kit (sold separately) to connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note II/III/IV requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). Newer Samsung Galaxy and Note devices do not support MHL. The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges the battery of your Android smartphone.
iPhone Lightning-to-USB Direct Connect: The Alpine receiver supports direct connection of your Apple iPod/iPhone with Lightning connector or iPhone 4S with 30-pin connector through its rear-panel USB port and the included USB extension cable, plus the cable that came with your Apple device or other "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable. The INE-W987HD supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your USB-connected Apple device with Lightning connector.
- Head Unit Control: The Alpine INE-W987HD lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically. The head unit also offers playback functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat for stored music files. Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track are supported by many music apps too; not all apps will be compatible. Your USB-connected iPhone will remain unlocked, so you can use its touchscreen to access music apps.
- Song/Artist Information: The Alpine in-dash navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information (including album art) and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Alpine Connect App: Download the Alpine Connect App powered by Airbiquity (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.2+) onto your USB-connected Apple iPhone or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone to gain access to popular infotainment apps like Glympse, Yelp, iHeartRadio, Alpine Go! (iOS/Android), and MyQ through the Alpine navigation receiver. The Alpine Connect smartphone app will provide simple content selection and user personalization from the Alpine navigation receiver. Content and features of the app will integrate into the Alpine receiver's touchscreen user-interface for enhanced user convenience that is formatted for in-vehicle use.
- Yelp: Yelp helps you find local places to eat, drink, and shop; all accessible from the Alpine navigation receiver's touchscreen.
- iHeartRadio: iHeartRadio stream live radio stations from across the country, create custom music stations, stay up-to-date with 24/7 news, listen to on-demand podcasts, plus enjoy the best in sports, talk and comedy programming.
- Glympse: Glympse is a fast, free, and simple way to share your location in real time with the people you trust.
- Alpine Go!: The new Alpine Go! app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.1+) allows you to easily send a destination from your compatible smartphone to the Alpine receiver's navigation system. You can also build and save a list of locations (up to 100) of your choice shared from various apps to easily send to the Alpine navigation system - just enter, send and go.
- MyQ: Linking the MyQ app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible mobile device with Alpine's Connect app gives you the freedom to monitor and control your garage door, control smart lighting for additional home security while you are away, and control smart thermostat modes - all through the Alpine receiver's touchscreen. The new geofencing feature of the MyQ app even lets you receive a notification on the receiver's touchscreen to remind you to open your garage door when you are close to home. MyQ works with all major brands of garage door openers (over 95% compatibility). The MyQ service will require a paid subscription.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine INE-W987HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 7/23/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video/Mirror||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Alpine Connect||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Mass Class Storage Devices: In addition to iPhone & Android connectivity, the head unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive. A 5' USB extension cable is included. The unit supports playback of a variety of audio and video files stored on a compatible USB MSC device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class Device)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16-/24-bit; sampling rate of 8-96kHz
|Video||AVI/MKV/MP4: optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||10,000 files/folders|
|Song/Artist Info||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC tags, & Album Art|
Note: The USB port does not support MTP or AOA playback for Android devices. The USB port cannot be connected to a USB hub or card-reader.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Alpine INE-W987HD features built-in Bluetooth 3.0. The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine INE-W987HD.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled device to the INE-W987HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). You can register up to 5 Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit, and keep two phones connected simultaneously. That way you can switch between mobile phone devices a lot quicker without having to un-connect and re-connect devices.
Hands-Free Communication: The Alpine INE-W987HD supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The INE-W987HD allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the integrated front-panel mic or the included external mic and your car audio speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving Calls: The Alpine INE-W987HD provides several
ways to answer your phone calls without picking up your mobile phone.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 5 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making Calls: The Alpine INE-W987HD provides a variety
of functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine INE-W987HD features full phone book access, call history, and redial with compatible phones.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone, you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact or the telephone number.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can then search the contacts of your phonebook alphabetically.
- Presets & Favorites: You can assign up to 4 phone numbers for one-touch dialing to make a call easily. You can also make a phone call using the Short Cut function of numbers that you have registered as Favorites.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (60 total) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Alpine INE-W987HD can stream music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Not only can it control & stream your music through Bluetooth, it can process your music using its built-in DSP to ensure you get the best sound. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the INE-W987HD provides a Search List of your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title (no Album Art). The INE-W987HD even supports audio streaming of music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone with song/artist information and limited control (continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to control advanced music app navigation).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Alpine INE-W987HD has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel/touchscreen controls and external microphone. Simply press the head unit's "Voice" button to engage Siri and use the front-panel microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the INE-W987HD and its microphone. You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Alpine INE-W987HD; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Bluetooth Adjustments: You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone input to fit your own preference. You can also select which car speaker outputs the audio from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone/device. You can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
Pandora Internet Radio (for iPhone & Android): The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ & Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine INE-W987HD using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (4S or newer) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the INE-W987HD via the cable that came with your iPhone or other "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, LTE (4G), EDGE, or WiFi. The INE-W987HD provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- Shuffle Play: Shuffle Play allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine INE-W987HD is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, and Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- SmartFavorite Presets + Jump: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. All presets are recognized a SmartFavorites with advanced features like TuneStart, & TuneScan. The Jump feature lets you store your absolute favorite channel so you can jump to it with the press of a dedicated button and then jump back to the previous channel.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite preset channel on the current band. TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels on the currently tuned band.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay content from the currently tuned SiriusXM channel. The SiriusXM tuner will continually buffer up to 60 minutes of audio from the currently tuned channel.
- Song/Artist/Game Alerts: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text w/ Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, plus Album Art. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the touchscreen monitor of the Alpine INE-W987HD. The RDS (Radio Data System) is a radio information system for analog FM. The RDS allows you to receive a variety of information such as traffic information, station names, and song information from standard analog FM radio stations.
- Preset & Direct Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search. You can also input a station number directly from the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Quality Setting: This unit can be set to three different FM tuner quality settings - Normal (standard), HiFi (high-quality), or Stable (controls noise).
- Ballgame Mode: In a live broadcast, such as a sportscast, a time lag occurs between digital sound and analog sound. Therefore, when live broadcasts are received, time lag between the real broadcast may occur and this unit can change to analog broadcasting automatically.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CTA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CTA-2006 logo on their product.
- CTA-2006 Power Rating: 16 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
6ch/4V Preouts + Sub Control: The INE-W987HD has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0-degrees) or Reverse (180-degrees).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
Built-in EQ: The INE-W987HD navigation receiver is equipped with a variety of EQ presets for different types of music, plus a 9-Band Parametric EQ for fine-tuning the sound to your preference, and Alpine's very own Bass Engine SQ.
- EQ Presets: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of music source material. Choose from Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 9-Band EQ: You can create three Custom EQ presets by adjusting the head unit's 9-Band Parametric Equalizer to create a response curve more appealing to your personal taste. Band 1 (20Hz-100Hz), Band 2 (63Hz-325Hz), Band 3 (125Hz-500Hz), Band 4 (250Hz-1kHz), Band 5 (500Hz-2kHz), Band 6 (1kHz-4kHz), Band 7 (2kHz-7.2kHz), Band 8 (5.8 kHz-12kHz), Band 9 (9kHz-20kHz). Bandwidth Q (1, 2, or 3). Levels (-7 to + 7).
- Bass Engine SQ: Alpine's Bass Engine SQ optimizes the sound for all speakers in the vehicle according to the music genre and mood for well-balanced and effective bass sound. Select from six Bass Engine SQ Types - Standard (Natural low-pitched sound), Punch (boosted bass sound), Rich (rich low-pitch sound), Mid Bass (emphasizes presence of upper bass), Low Bass (emphasizes presences lower bass), and Off (bypasses Bass Engine SQ).
Audio Enhancements: The INE-W987HD provides Time Correction, Media Xpander Pro, and Source Volume Level to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
- Media Xpander HD: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander HD is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander HD makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The FM radio, USB memory, HDMI, iPhone/iPod, Pandora, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
- Source Volume Level: The output level (+/-14dB) of each source can be individually adjusted. For example, if the Tuner level sounds lower than Bluetooth, its output can be adjusted without affecting the other sources.
Alpine's TuneIt App: The Alpine TuneIt app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.4+) is an easy-to-use sound-tuning app that also offers Facebook notifications. Download this free app from the Apple App Store or Google Play onto your compatible Apple iPhone or Android device and create a user profile about your vehicle and sound system. Your iPhone must be connected to the Alpine receiver via USB using an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE 4G, or WiFi.
- Sound Tuning: The Alpine TuneIt app turns your iPhone or Android smartphone into a sound tuning interface for the Alpine receiver. Follow the simple graphical instructions on your phone to adjust sound settings for your specific vehicle or choose from pre-made settings in the database. Settings that can be adjusted include Parametric EQ, Bass Engine SQ, Crossover, and Media Xpander. As you change settings on your smartphone, you will hear the results, so you can customize the sound to exactly how you want it. You can make and save up to 100 different sound settings in your account, which is helpful if you want various settings to use for specific types of music. After tuning your system, upload your settings to the Alpine Cloud Server to share them with other Alpine fans. You can also check out other user's settings and rate them. The more active you are, the higher your profile status progresses within the app.
- Facebook Notifications: The Alpine TuneIt app also keeps you in touch with your Facebook friends. When you receive a notification, you will get a visual alert on the smartphone and the head unit, plus a sound alert through your car speakers. The visual notification includes the Facebook icon and the sender's name, with the profile picture shown on the phone. You are then able to listen to the notification via TTS (Text-to-Speech) through the head unit and your vehicle's speaker. You can even "Like" the notification from the head unit's front-panel controls. In order to receive Facebook notifications on the head unit, the Alpine TuneIt app must be the active app on your smartphone.
Note: Access to the Alpine TuneIt app will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. You will also need to turn on the GPS function of your phone.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The volume of this feature can be set from 0-7.
Rear-Panel AV Input: The Alpine INE-W987HD is fitted with one rear-panel AV minijack (3.5mm) input to connect an external AV source. There is no analog AV output.
Camera Input: The INE-W987HD features a proprietary camera input for connecting one of Alpine's proprietary backup cameras (sold separately). There is also a composite video rearview camera adapter which allows you to connect almost any camera with a composite video connector, like Alpine's Alpine HCE-C1100 camera (500HCEC1100, sold separately). You can only use one or the other; you cannot use both types of camera inputs. The INE-W987HD's camera input can be set as a Rear, Front, Other (Side), or Multi (requires optional Multi-Camera Selector - sold separately).
- Guidelines: The rear-view camera function also provides on-screen color-coded guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle into a parking space. There is also a Hitch Guide feature which marks the position of the junction between your vehicle and your trailer on the head unit's monitor, when backing up.
- Auto Rearview Switching: If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
- Optional Multi-Camera Selector: You can connect up to three cameras (Front, Rear, & Side) using Alpine's KCX-C250MC Multi-Camera Selector (500KCXC250, sold separately). The KCX-C250MC only works with the Alpine's proprietary cameras (sold separately). The KCX-C250MC Multi-Camera Selector allows up to three cameras to be easily controlled right from the receiver's touchscreen. The names of the connected camera systems appear on the main screen, so you can simply select the camera system you want to use. You can then choose the viewing option from that camera to be displayed on the screen.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Alpine navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Alpine receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Alpine head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Alpine receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
7" Capacitive Touchscreen: The 7" capacitive touchscreen boasts a 800 x 480 resolution (1.15 million pixels) with a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. The capacitive touchscreen offers high visibility and brightness that make it easy to see even in direct sunlight. The capacitive touchscreen also requires less pressure, responds faster, and can recognize multiple touch points simultaneously; all advantages when compared to traditional resistive touchscreen displays. Use the INE-W987HD's intuitive interface to swipe left or right and up or down for navigation, entertainment sources, settings, or Bluetooth. While using the navigation feature, use pinch-to-zoom motions to zoom in on the view of your map for improved navigation.
- Dual Screen: The Alpine INE-W987HD lets you display the Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side. You can switch the right and left screens using simple drag & drop touchscreen commands.
- Hard-Keys: Conveniently located Power/Menu, Source, Maps, Volume Up/Down, Previous/Next Track, Favorite, and Voice buttons are accessible along the bottom edge of the 7" touchscreen monitor for quick access and simple control.
Note: For safety and legal reasons, the INE-W987HD features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source (HDMI or USB) and accessing the receiver's on-screen setup menu while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source or accessed the on-screen setup menu, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. CarPlay & Android Auto do not require the Parking Brake to be engaged.
Start Up Time: The Alpine INE-W987HD has a start up time of approximately 6.7 seconds from Off to the Navigation Map, Source Selections, or Main Menu.
My Favorites: Access the functions that you use the most in a fast and easy way with the My Favorites feature. Using a shortcut soft key on the touchscreen, you can add, delete, or re-arrange your shortcut icons by dragging the icons to a new location on the screen. Your settings are kept as a personal profile linked to your smartphone via Bluetooth. You can create up to 6 favorite screens with up 54 selections (9 each).
Display Settings: The Alpine INE-W987HD navigation receivers offers a variety of displays adjustments - including Picture Quality, Variable Color Illumination, Dimmer Control, Display Off, and 12/24Hr Clock.
- Picture Quality: You are able to adjust the brightness, color, tint, contrast, and sharpness levels of the navigation receiver's LCD touchscreen.
- Variable Color Illumination: You can adjust the receiver's
LCD screen color from Blue, Green, Red, or White. You can also adjust the color
illumination of the head unit's hard-key buttons from Blue, Light Blue, Aqua,
Red, Green, Yellow, or Amber.
- Dimmer Control: You
can then select one of the following dimmer control modes for both the LCD's backlight and
button illumination - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background
illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the
background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background
illumination of the monitor bright).
- Display Off: You can turn off the LCD touchscreen completely with only the hard-key buttons illuminated and still enjoy audio playback.
- 12/24-Hour Clock: The INE-W987HD lets you select between a 12 hour or 24 hour clock. The clock is displayed on each source screen and turns off when the head unit is powered down.
Remote Control: The Alpine INE-W987HD offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and supports Alpine's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine INE-W987HD is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RU4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's basic tuner & playback functions. The remote does not offer navigation control.
Accessory Control Ready: The optional KAC-001 External Accessory Controller (500KAC001, sold separately) lets you control your vehicle's external accessories - like a winch, light bar, and tire air compressor - from the INE-W987HD's touchscreen. The KAC-001 works with up to eight relay-connected accessories. Each accessory can be configured for a pulsed, latched or momentary output. A graphical icon and name can be assigned to each accessory for quick identification on the touchscreen.