About the Alpine IVA-D106
Multimedia receiver for your single-sized dash opening
Multimedia receiver for your single-sized dash opening
Alpine's IVA-D106 DVD receiver offers everything you need to enjoy multimedia content in the car, with touchscreen controls that make it easy for you to access and control all of your sources. The bright, clear 7" screen shows movies and videos when your car's parked, and displays system information and helpful menus when you're on the go.
You'll appreciate Alpine's tradition of outstanding sound quality the moment you start listening, as the powerful built-in amplifier energizes your music with new impact and clarity. The IVA-D106 will play CDs or DVDs, including discs you've loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files. For audiophile sound, add Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT sound processor and the KTX-H100 tuning kit the IMPRINT measures your car's acoustics and adjusts the stereo's settings automatically to create a perfect audio environment.
Expand your system
Take full advantage of your entertainment options by connecting Alpine's high-speed iPod® adapter for access to your music and video files, or by adding a satellite radio or HD Radio tuner. If you own a Bluetooth® capable cell phone, Alpine's optional adapter lets you listen to your calls over your car speakers, and access your phone book with the receiver's touchscreen. Upgrade your system's power by connecting a full set of amplifiers to the three sets of preamp outputs.
When you're on the go, connect a monitor to the A/V output and keep the kids entertained in the backseat while you enjoy music up front. You can also connect a game console or second video source to the receiver's A/V input.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check Hands-on Research for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Alpine stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Alpine, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Information provided by Alpine
- DVD/CD receiver with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized 7" LCD video screen with touchscreen controls
- plyas DVD Video (including two-layer), DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-Audio (including two-layer), Video CD, CD, and CD-R/RW.
- plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files on CD and DVD
- wireless remote
- Bass Engine® 2-band parametric equalizer
- compatible with Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT audio processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit
- compatible with Alpine's iPod and Bluetooth adapters, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner, navigation module
- inputs: audio/video input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: audio/video output, optical output, three sets of preamp outputs
What's in the box:
- Mobile Multimedia Station with 6.5" wide LCD monitor (in-dash unit)
- Removable partial front panel (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wireless remote control (RUE-4203)
- CR2025 lithium battery
- Wiring harness
- In-line 10A fuse (installed)
- Preamp output and A/V input/output harness
- 56" Full Speed audio/video iPod adapter cable
- Vinyl case for the detachable front panel
- 2 Sleeve mounting brackets
- 8 Flat-head screws (M4 x 3mm)
- 4 Hex/Phillips-head screws each with flat washers (M4 x 6mm)
- Self-adhesive rubber strip
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (English/French/Spanish)
- Quick start/Wiring guide (English/French/Spanish)
- Customer Care Registration card
- CD-ROM Requirements/ Instructions
Alpine IVA-D106 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine IVA-D106
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
Overview: Alpine's line of Ai-NET Mobile Multimedia Solutions allow you to connect and control a wide range of in-car audio and visual systems, such as DVD/CD/MP3 changers, rear seat monitors, and navigation systems, from an in-dash control center. In addition, you can add iPod audio/video and control, Bluetooth, satellite radio, and a USB connection.
Motorized 7.0" Widescreen Touchscreen Monitor: The IVA-D106 has a motorized 7.0" widescreen, touchscreen monitor (with 16:9 aspect ratio) that serves as a video monitor and system information display.
Automatic Monitor Opening/Closing: When the Automatic Opening/Closing mode is set to Full, the monitor automatically opens when the ignition key is turned to the Acc or On position, and closes when the ignition is turned off. When the mode is set to Manual, the monitor must be opened and closed using the Open/Close button. When the mode is set to Close, the monitor automatically closes when the ignition key is turned off.
Monitor Angle Adjustment: You can adjust the monitor's angle for better visibility. The screen angle can be adjusted between 40° and 105° (10 positions).
Flat Angle Setting: When you want to operate some vehicle controls (air conditioner, etc.) that are hidden behind the raised monitor, you can temporarily position the monitor at a flat angle by pressing the Open button on the front panel. After 10 seconds in the flat position, the monitor moves back to its original angle.
Video Lock-out Feature: For safety and legal reasons, the IVA-D106 features a video lock-out feature to prevent the viewing of a video source while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be parked with the ignition in the ACC or ON position. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged, disengaged, and engaged again while the foot brake depressed.
Illumination Control: Backlighting is provided by a fluorescent light built into the liquid crystal panel. The illumination control adjusts the brightness of the backlighting based on the car's ambient lighting for easier viewing. You can set the minimum level of backlight in the menu from -15 to +15. The following dimmer settings are available:
- Auto: adjusts the brightness of the background illumination of the monitor depending on the ambient light in your vehicle
- On: keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark
- Off: keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright
Display Modes: You can select one of the following display modes:
- Mode 1 (Wide): evenly stretches a 4:3 picture horizontally to fit the wide screen monitor
- Mode 2 (Cinema): displays a picture by stretching out the picture horizontally and vertically; good for displaying a cinema-type picture with a 16:9 ratio
- Mode 3 (Normal): displays a 4:3 picture at the center of the screen with vertical black bands on both sides
Visual EQ Mode: allows you to select one of the following preset modes suitable for the subject image:
- Night Mode: suitable for movies in which dark scenes frequently appear
- Soft: suitable for animated films
- Sharp: suitable for old movies where images are not clearly shown
- Contrast: suitable for recent movies
- User Memory (P-1, P-2): can manually change Brightness, Color, Tint, Contrast, and Sharpness values individually and save them in two user memories
Data Download: You can download visual backgrounds for the monitor from Alpine's website to a CD-R or CD-RW; then download and store the data in the IVA-D106.
Audio Adjustments: You can adjust the bass level (-7 to +7), bass center frequency (60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 200Hz), bass bandwidth or Q-factor (1.00, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0), treble level (-7 to +7), treble center frequency (10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz, 17.5kHz), loudness (on/off), and subwoofer level (0 to 15).
Preamp Outputs: 6 channels of preamp outputs, including RCA jacks for Front left and right, Rear left and right, and Subwoofer left and right channels.
Dolby Digital and DTS Compatibility: The IVA-D106 can perform 2-channel Dolby Digital and DTS decoding when playing back a DVD through its analog outputs (the multi-channel soundtracks are down-mixed to 2-channel). When the optical digital output on the rear of the head unit is connected to an optional Alpine digital audio processor, you can enjoy Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround.
Digital Output: You can select a digital output setting of Auto or PCM. When set to Auto, the digital output is switched automatically according to the type of audio signals being played. When set to PCM, the audio signals recorded on the disc are converted to 2-channel audio for output.
Imprint: With the addition of the optional PXA-H100 Imprint box (500PXAH100, sold separately) and KTX-H100 tuning kit (500KTXH100, sold separately) a car's inherent acoustic shortcomings can be overcome with the MultEQ feature. Imprint also gives you much more sound adjustment flexibility as detailed below.
MultEQ: MultEQ, developed by Audyssey Labs, automatically optimizes the audio for the listening environment inside your vehicle. The Imprint box and tuning kit include the hardware, software, and microphone necessary to measure multiple positions in the car and capture frequency and time domain information from the vehicle's actual acoustical environment. Once the car's speaker location delays are measured, along with the frequency peaks and dips caused by the absorptive and reflective materials in the interior, MultEQ creates a set of equalization filters to correct the frequency response and time domain problems for each speaker in the vehicle. It also removes sound distortion caused by the specific acoustical problems in the vehicle by applying unique FIR filters, using more than 500 points along the frequency spectrum per channel. This optimizes the sound reproduction to the specific vehicle listening environment with much greater precision than can be achieved using typical graphic or parametric equalization. The result is a more accurate soundstage and smoother, more natural sound optimized to match your vehicle.
Equalizer: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of musical source material. You can select from - Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz & Blues, Electrical Dance, Hip Hop & Rap, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical. The head unit will also save six custom EQ curves you create by adjusting the units built-in EQ. Choose the parametric or graphic EQ:
- 5- Band Parametric EQ:
The built-in Parametric EQ allows you to
adjust the following 5 frequency bands in 1/3 octave steps from -6 to +6 dB
at a bandwidth Q factor of 1, 1.5, or 3
- Band 1: 20 Hz to 80 Hz
- Band 2: 50 Hz to 200 Hz
- Band 3: 125 Hz to 3.2 kHz
- Band 4: 315 Hz to 8 kHz
- Band 5: 800 Hz to 20 kHz
- 7-Band Graphic EQ:
The built-in Graphic EQ allows you to adjust the
following 7 frequencies from -6 to +6 dB
- Band 1: 63 Hz
- Band 2: 150 Hz
- Band 3: 400 Hz
- Band 4: 1 kHz
- Band 5: 2.5 kHz
- Band 6: 6.3 kHz
- Band 7: 17.5 kHz
Crossover: The active crossover can be used as a 2.2 channel (3-way; low-pass subwoofer, band-pass midrange, high-pass tweeter) or a 4.2 channel (2-way; high-pass front and rear, low-pass subwoofer). A crossover limits the frequencies delivered to a given speaker, so you send only the frequencies for which the speaker is well suited. The crossover adjusts the high pass filter or low pass filter of each band along with the slope and output level. You can adjust the following crossover settings:
- 4.2 Channel:
- High Pass Filter: the front and rear outputs are individually adjustable; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- 2.2 Channel:
- Tweeter/High Pass Filter: crossover from 1 kHz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Midrange/Band Pass Filter: a band pass has both high pass and low pass filters; HPF 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct; LPF from 20 Hz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Subwoofer/Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
Time Correction: The time correction feature delays the audio signal to the speakers closer to the listener. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance from all speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance of each speaker and subwoofer (6-channel) to the listener from 0 to 132.7 inches.
Media Xpander: The MX (Media Xpander) function makes vocals or instruments sound distinct by restoring sound quality typically lost during recording or transmission; this function helps restore audio information that becomes obscured when audio is compressed. The MX function can be applied to all sources, except AM radio. There are three settings and each source can have its own setting.
AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine IVA-D106 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the Alpine CNP-ALP1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMALP2, sold separately).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio:
- Universal SIRIUS Tuner: You can connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect Universal Vehicle Tuner, along with the Alpine KCA-SC100 SIRIUS satellite Radio interface (700SIRALPC, sold separately) directly to the head unit.
- SIRIUS Plug and Play: The KCA-SC100 also allows you to add the SiriusConnect vehicle kit (700SIRALPP, sold separately) and integrate many SIRIUS plug and play receivers. Compatible tuners include the Sportster, Starmate, Stratus, and Stiletto. You can control the satellite receiver from your head unit and use the Quick Search feature to browse all artists and songs currently playing on all channels. The SIRIUS text information also appears on the head unit display.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite
radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via an auxiliary input
(use the existing auxiliary input or the
Alpine KCA-121B auxiliary input adapter).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: The optional Alpine HD Radio Receiver (500TUAT550, sold separately) delivers FM radio with CD-like audio quality and AM with FM-like quality. Song, artist, and album titles are viewable on the display.
Compatible Discs: The unit's integrated disc drive will play back the following disc types - DVD Video (including two-layer), DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD Audio (including two-layer), Video CD, CD, and CD-R/RW.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: This unit can play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R and CD-RW discs containing MP3, WMA, and AAC files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats; constant and variable bit rates from 8 kbps to 320 kbps are supported for MP3 and WMA, 16-320 kbps for AAC. Recordings made using Track At Once or packet writing cannot be correctly played back. ID tags are supported; track title, artist name, and album name up to 128 characters.
Pre-stop Function: When the Pre-stop function is used, the position at which playback is stopped is stored in the memory, and playback resumes from that position.
Step/Slow Motion Playback: When a DVD or Video CD is in the pause mode, you may move through the program being played one step (frame) at a time (forward or backward), or in slow motion at 1/8 or 1/2 speed. No audio is played during slow motion playback.
Fast-Forward/Fast-Reverse: While a DVD or Video CD is playing, you can view the program in double speed in either direction by touching and holding the fast-forward or fast-reverse button. If held for 5 or more seconds, playback at 8x speed in the selected direction will begin. If held for 10 or more seconds, playback at 21x speed will begin.
Repeat Playback: When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title or the current chapter. When playing a Video CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles.
Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Parental Lock: Parental Lock allows you to restrict the playback of DVDs that are unsuitable for younger viewers. You can select a parental lock rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
iPod Integration: An iPod can be connected to the IVA-D106 by using the included Full Speed audio/video connection cable. When the iPod is connected to the unit, the controls of the iPod are non-functional, and the unit is fully controlled by the head unit. You can quickly and easily search through all of the music contained on your iPod through Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, and Audio Book searches. You can view Artist, Album, and Song information, as well as the song number and elapsed time on the head unit's display. The Alpine IVA-D106 is "Made for iPod" compatible and supports the following iPod model features (as of Dec. 2009):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
iPod Charging Note: The KCE-435iV and the IVA-D106 will not charge iPod touch (2nd/3rd generation) or iPod nano (4th/5th generation) without the Alpine KCX-422TR charging adapter (500KCX422T, sold separately).
Auxiliary Input Ready: In addition to the built-in A/V input, with the addition of the optional KCA-121B Ai-NET/RCA interface cable (113KCA121B, sold separately) the audio from an auxiliary source can be played through this unit. When the KCA-121B interface cable is used, a CD changer cannot be connected to the head unit.
A/V Input: Stereo RCA and composite RCA video input for connecting an optional VCR or game. console
A/V Output: Stereo RCA and composite RCA video output for connecting an optional video monitor.
Rear Camera Input: A composite RCA video input on a 4" pigtail is hardwired to the rear panel, for connecting the video signal from an iPod or an optional rear-view camera. If a rear-view camera is connected, this reverse lead (orange/white wire) should be connected to the vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse.
Navigation Ready: When connected to an optional Alpine Navigation unit (500NVEM300, sold separately), the navigation screen and map data can be displayed on this unit. With the NAV.MIX feature, the voice guidance of the navigation system will be mixed with the radio or CD audio. The volume level of the voice guidance can be adjusted.
Bluetooth Interface Ready: Using the Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth adapter with the KWE-460E interconnect cable adapter (700KCE460B, sold separately), you can make and receive calls hands-free on your Bluetooth-capable cellular phone, and communicate through a microphone (included with the Bluetooth interface) and your vehicle's speakers.
Note: The Pass-Through port of the KCE-400BT allows you to connect the Bluetooth adapter as well as an iPod to the IVA-D106. The KWE-460 interconnection cable is still required along with a KCE-435iV Full Speed iPod connection cable (500KCE435I, sold separately). The included iPod cable will not be used in this configuration.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.