About the Alpine PDX-5
Cool and Compact Amps
Cool and Compact Amps
You get big power from a small package with Alpine's PDX Series amplifiers. Super-efficient Class-D technology allows these pint-sized powerhouses to run cool, so they can be stacked together in a multi-amp setup, freeing up valuable space in your car.
Heavy-duty, clean power
The PDX-5 5-channel amplifier supplies a full 75 watts RMS to four channels and 300 watts RMS to a subwoofer channel. You can drive your front and rear speakers, along with a subwoofer, with this compact amp it's about the size of a small town phone book. Alpine uses smart design and high-quality internal components to keep the power going strong, even when you're pushing your system hard.
Use the adjustable frequency filters to tune your system for peak efficiency; the front-mounted controls make it easy to tweak your sound after the amp's installed. Alpine uses corrosion-resistant gold plating on the RCA inputs and power connections to promote superior signal transfer. Special quick-connect speaker wire plugs slide in for a tight connection, guaranteeing that your speakers are in phase.
- 5-channel car amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 or 2 ohms
- CEA-2006 compliant
- stackable installation design with front-panel controls
- variable high- and low-pass filters (30-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- quick-connect speaker connectors
- Class-D amplifier design
- MOSFET power and output stages
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 10-3/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 8-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PDX-5
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel amplifier
- Two 30-amp ATO fuses (installed)
- 5 Speaker quick connect terminals
- 4 Hex/Phillips-head self-tapping screws (M4 x 40mm)
- 2mm Allen wrench
- 4mm Allen wrench
- Owners Manual (Eng/Fren/Span)
- Customer Care Registration/Survey
- Warranty sheet
- Specification verification certificate
Alpine PDX-5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine PDX-5
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 4 |
300 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||77 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||30-400,50-200(ch5)|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB (ch 1-4), 24dB (ch 5)|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||30-400 Hz (ch 1-4)|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
PDX Amplifier Design: Class-D amplifiers boast higher efficiency, produce much less heat, and draw less current than traditional Class AB amps. The PDX series is Alpine's super-efficient power density design of full range class-D amps. They combine MOSFET power supplies, MOSFET final outputs, and a thermal management processor, along with a 4-Layer Glass Epoxy PC Board to create a high-end sound quality without the bulky heat sinks required by most amps with this much power.
STAR Topology: Alpine's unique STAR (Signal Transit for Accurate Response) Circuit PCB design provides a single common ground for all amp sub-blocks, preventing ground interference and minimizing internal noise.
Terminal Layout: For wiring convenience all the inputs and outputs on the amp are on the rear of the amplifier.
Verification Certificate: The amplifier comes with a certificate that lists the RMS power output of the individual amplifier. It also lists the model number, serial number, test date, and the test conditions (14.4 volts, 4 ohms).
5-Channel Configuration: The PDX-5 is a 5-channel amplifier, designed to power four full-range speakers and a subwoofer. The amp provides 75 watts per channel at 4 ohms to the four full-range channels, and 300 watts at 4 ohms or 2 ohms to the subwoofer channel.
Crossovers: The front and rear channels have independent crossovers that can be set for high-pass, low-pass, or Off (for full-range operations). The crossovers are continuously variable from 30-400Hz with a slope of 12 dB per octave. The mono subwoofer channel has a 50-200 Hz low-pass filter with a 24dB per octave slope. The mono channel also has a fixed 15 Hz, 24dB per octave subsonic filter to eliminate power-robbing super low frequencies that can also damage speakers.
Speaker Connectors: The PDX series amps use a new Speaker Quick Connect plug to attach the speaker wires to the amp. Bare speaker wire, up to 8 gauge, is held in place by a set screw, the Quick Connect plug then plugs into the amp. Like an RCA jack, the Quick Connect plug uses a center positive layout, so it fits two ways and both maintain correct polarity.
Stack Amps: Because the PDX series design generates so little heat, up to three amps can be stacked and bolted together. All the amps in the series; PDX-5, PDX-2.150, PDX-4.100, PDX-4.150, PDX-1.600, and PDX-1.1000 share the same footprint, so they can be stacked together.
Notes: Do not install this amplifier vertically or at an incline. Any installation other than parallel to the vehicle floor, invalidates the warranty.
LED: The top mounted LED Power/Status indicator glows blue when operating normally and red when one of the protection circuits engages.
Protection Circuits: This amplifier includes protection circuits to prevent damage due to the following conditions: ambient temperature too high, supply current too high, short to ground, or over voltage.
Controls (front of unit): Once set, the controls are covered by a door to prevent accidental adjustments:
- Crossover Mode switch: set to HP (high pass), OFF (full range) or LP (low-pass), separate controls for the front and rear channels
- Crossover Frequency (channels 1-2 and 3-4): rotary controls used to select the crossover frequency, separate controls for the front and rear channels, variable from 30 to 400Hz
- Crossover Frequency (channel 5): rotary control used to select the crossover frequency for the mono channel, variable from 50 to 200Hz
- Gain Controls: rotary controls used to set the amplifier's gain according the level of the incoming signal, separate controls for the front, rear, and mono channels, continuously variable from Min (0.2V) to Max (4.0V), with marks at Nominal and 0.5V.
Inputs and Outputs (rear of unit):
- Power and Ground terminals: power and ground terminals are gold plated set screw terminals, will accept up to 4 gauge bare wire
- Remote Turn-on terminal: gold plated set screw terminal, will accept up to 10 gauge bare wire
- Speaker terminals: each of the 5 speaker outputs uses Alpine's Speaker Quick Connect plug
- Line Level Input: 6 female RCA jacks, left and right for the front, rear, and subwoofer channels, gold plated