About the Alpine PWD-X5
All-in-one sonic upgrade
All-in-one sonic upgrade
Looking to bump up your factory sound system without changing your vehicle's interior? Alpine's PWD-X5 powered sub offers a one-box solution that'll add bass, power, and fidelity to your system, while fitting under a seat or in another out-of-the-way location. This self-contained compact sub features an onboard 5-channel amplifier — 25 watts RMS for each of your front and rear speakers plus 165 watts RMS for its 8" sub — and digital signal processing controllable by wired remote, smartphone, or Windows PC.
For each channel, you can adjust a high- or low-pass filter to clear out distortion, a 10-band parametric equalizer to fix the tone, and time delay to center the stereo image for your listening position. You can change levels, polarity, balance, and fade to get the sound exactly where you want it. And you can save your settings as presets — up to 15 different presets can get saved and recalled.
The PWD-X5 comes with a wiring harness that includes power wire with fuse, ground, remote turn-on, speaker output, and speaker-level input wiring. RCA inputs let you use this versatile sub/amp/processor with an aftermarket receiver. Alpine included a Bluetooth® dongle so you can stream music directly into the system from your compatible device.
- powered 8" subwoofer with integrated digital signal processor and amplifier
- 5-channel amplifier: 25 watts RMS x 4 + 165 watts RMS x 1
- Bluetooth dongle included (for streaming and mobile app control)
- control via PWD-5X app for Android or iPhone, or PWD-5X software for Windows:
- variable high- and low-pass filters with selectable slopes
- 10-band parametric equalizers
- variable bass cut/boost (-12 to +12 dB)
- time delay adjustments (0-5.4 ms)
- phase switch (0-180 degrees)
- set and select up to 15 presets
- wired remote controls volume, sub level, source, and preset selection only
- wired remote and USB cable included
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- power, ground, output, and speaker-level input harness included (length: 14-3/4 feet)
- dimensions: 9-5/8"W x 3-1/4"H x 13-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PWD-X5
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer/4-ch amplifier
- 15' Speaker harness (attached 9" power wire / 5' ground wires terminated in a single ring-terminal)
- 15' Power wire (inline 20A mini-fuse)
- Wired remote commander (attached 16" cable)
- 16.5' USB cable (3.0 type-A both ends / attached 46" remote cable)
- Bluetooth USB stick
- 4 Mounting brackets
- Four 1/8" machine screws
- Four 3/4" Phillips-head screws
- Owner's manual
- Warranty information
- Safety notice
- Product registration sheet
Alpine PWD-X5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine PWD-X5
Features & specs
|Finish Material||Aluminum, plastic|
|Connector Type||26-Pin Molex, RCA|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Material||Not given|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Power (RMS)||265 watts|
|Maximum Wattage||440 watts|
|Second Voice Coil Impedance||---|
Overview: The Alpine PWD-X5 5-channel amplifier features an 8" subwoofer driver, powered by a single mono channel at 165W RMS (240W peak), and 4 full-range speaker output channels at 25W RMS (50W peak), all in a compact enclosure that's designed to fit under seats or in tight spaces.
DSP & Tuning: The PWD-X5 offers internal DSP (Digital Signal Processing) for fine tuning the system. Control of the DSP parameters can be done from a Bluetooth connected smartphone using the 'PWD-X5' smartphone app, available for free on the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. Setup can also be performed using a PC connected to the amp, with the supplied USB cable, running the 'PWD-X5' software available from Alpine's Support page (compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10). DSP features include both common and individual functions for each of the 5 output channels, and include the following:
- Volume: Provides both Master Volume and Subwoofer Volume controls.
- Inputs: Choices include the high-level inputs, low-level inputs, and BT streaming.
- Graphic EQ: Each of the 5 output channels can have its own 10-band graphic EQ. Bands are preset at 31Hz, 65Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, and 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 16kHz. Adjustment range for each band is from -12dB to +12dB and include individual Q adjustment or width, adjustable from 0.404 to 28.852.
- Xover (Crossover): High-pass and low-pass crossovers are available for each channel with an adjustable cutoff frequency ranging from 20Hz to 20kHz. Channels 1-4 can have a selectable slope with choices of 6dB or 12dB/octave. Channel 5 can have a 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave slope.
- Time Correction (Delay): Each of the 5 channels can be delayed to vary the time alignment for each speaker. Units of measurement include ms, inches, and cm. In the ms setting, the time can be varied from 0ms to 5.396ms.
- Output: This page allows each of the 5 Output channels to have individual adjustments for Level, Mute, and Polarity Invert.
- Balance/Fade: An X/Y graphic display allows the focal point, representing the balance and fade position, to be moved around the vehicle with a single finger-swipe.
- Presets: Up to 15 configurations can be saved and recalled as presets.
Bluetooth: The PWD-X5 features a USB Bluetooth adapter, allowing you to both stream music from a Bluetooth enabled playback device, as well as provide Bluetooth control for the DSP settings. A USB type-A socket on the amp is provided for plugging in the included USB Bluetooth adapter.
Wired Controller: A PWD-X5 wired controller is provided for quick adjustment from the driver's location. The controller can be used to adjust the Main Volume and Subwoofer Volume, change Sources, and select any stored Presets. Wiring for the controller is integrated into the provided USB cable used to connect a PC to the amplifier. A proprietary 4-pin connector splits off of the USB cable to plug into the controller's harness. A second USB port on the amp is used specifically for controller and PC connection.
- Width: 3.64"
- Height: 1.90"
- Depth: 1.26"
- Cutout Required for Flush Mounting:
- Width: 3.47"
- Height: 1.72"
- Flush Mount Depth: 0.74"
Wiring: The PWD-X5 includes 4 RCA inputs for connecting to an aftermarket radio. It also includes a 26-pin harness containing 4 pairs of speaker wires for both input and output signals. This 15' harness can be run from the amp to the dash, when connecting to a factory headunit, providing both the speaker-level input to the amp as well as the return signal that gets spliced back into the factory speaker wiring. A 9" pigtail from the wiring harness is used for connecting the power extension wire to the battery. The amplifier's 5' ground wires are also included in the wiring harness and are terminated into a single ring-terminal. Speaker Input and Output wires use the same color coding, but are labeled for each function:
- Yellow: +12VDC Battery
- Black: Chassis Ground
- Blue: Remote Input
- (2)White: LF+ In/Out
- (2)White/Black: LF- In/Out
- (2)Green: LR+ In/Out
- (2)Green/Black: LR- In/Out
- (2)Gray: RF+ In/Out
- (2)Gray/Black: RF- In/Out
- (2)Purple: RR+ In/Out
- (2)Purple/Black: RR- In/Out
Auto Remote Turn-On: A slide-switch on the amp can be set to REM, if using a low-level input signal (RCA) into the amp. The included Remote wire in the main wiring harness gets connected to the radio's remote output, for activating the amp. If using speaker-level inputs, the slide-switch can be set to DC, allowing the amp to use the power from the speaker input wires to trigger it on and off.
16 questions already asked