About the Alpine SWR-1542D
Big and bad and built for heavy-duty sound, Alpine's SWR-1542D 15" subwoofer delivers impact bass that you can hear and feel. Alpine has taken the best features from its previous SWR Series subs and added the hottest technology for ground-pounding power and superb accuracy.
The pulp cone has been reinforced with Kevlar® (the material used in bulletproof vests) for extra rigidity, so it won't buckle under hard play. A rubber surround helps to maximize cone travel for deep bass, while standing up to the decay that can destroy a speaker. Air vents help the sub shed heat quickly for efficient operation and better power handling.
The two 2" voice coils handle lots of power while offering system wiring flexibility. The tinsel leads are virtually unbreakable they're woven into the spiders. An aluminum diecast frame provides a secure, non-resonant housing. The SWR-1542D is designed for use in sealed or ported enclosures.
Note: If you are wiring this DVC sub for lower impedance, make sure that your amp is compatible. Most car amplifiers are stable down to 2 ohms in standard mode, or 4 ohms in bridged operation.
Priced per speaker
- 15" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
- Kevlar-reinforced pulp cone with Santoprene rubber surround
- cast aluminum frame with perimeter venting
- power range: 400-750 watts RMS (2000 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 20-400 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- mounting depth: 9-5/16"
- sealed box volume: 1.3-2.5 cu. ft.
- ported box volume: 1.5-3.0 cu. ft.
- Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1, 2
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SWR-1542D
What's in the box:
- 15" Subwoofer
- Rubber concealing ring
- Two 3" jumper cables (each cable has a banana plug on each end)
- Type-R Subwoofer Application Guide (English/French)
- Warranty card
- Customer Care Registration card
- "Important Notice! Please Read First Before Installation" sheet
Alpine SWR-1542D reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine SWR-1542D
Features & specs
|Cone Material||Kevlar Reinforced Pulp|
|Surround Material||Santoprene Rubber|
|Ideal Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet)||1.75|
|Ideal Ported Box Volume (cubic feet)||2.9|
|Port diameter (inches)||3|
|Port length (inches)||8.5|
|Dual Voice Coil||Yes|
87 dB at 1 watt |
|Frequency Response||20 - 400 Hz|
|Max RMS Power Handling||750|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||2000|
|Top Mount Depth (inches)||9 5/16|
|Bottom Mount Depth (inches)||10 3/8|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||13 13/16|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone: This Alpine Type-R subwoofer has a Kevlar reinforced pulp cone. Kevlar adds strength and tear resistance to the woofer cone while maintaining the benefits of a pulp cone design. There is also an oversized inverted dust cap of the same material, which increases rigidity and virtually eliminates distortion at extreme volume levels.
HAMRS: The woofer features a High Amplitude Multi Roll Surround (HAMRS), made of injection molded Santoprene, that allows for an incredible amount of linear excursion and greater SPL.
Mirrored Progressive Nomex Spiders: This subwoofer has twin mirrored progressive Nomex spiders for added stability and mechanical durability. The custom progressive rolls gives the woofer a longer, more linear stroke with maximum centering and restoring force. Special edge control design and Nomex construction provide excellent tear resistance, strength and long-term reliability. The woofer has integrated tinsel speaker leads that are woven into the spiders for the one-sided terminal layout.
Cast Aluminum Frame: The woofer is mounted to a custom cast aluminum frame for added strength. This high mass frame also dissipates heat quickly to make it an integral part of the woofer's thermal management system.
Heat Transfer Plate: This subwoofer contains an integrated heat transfer plate that is thermally coupled to the voice coil. This plate pulls heat away from the voice coil and transfers it to the cast aluminum frame, achieving up to 20% additional power handling, and better reliability.
Magnetically Optimized Motor Structure: Through Alpine's advanced magnetic circuit design, this woofer offers better sound quality, and a higher sensitivity and power handling capability:
- Compound Radius Curve Pole Geometry: This patent-pending design intensifies the magnetic field for higher SPL and lower distortion. The magnetic field is balanced over a wider area for better control at high excursion.
- Extra Length Extended Pole: The extra long pole piece provides additional surface to capture radiated heat for additional power handling.
- Extra Thick Top Plate: The extra thick top plate keeps more windings in the magnetic gap for better control.
- Dual Stacked Magnets: The dual stacked magnets provide the powerful magnetic energy and extra depth for high SPL and maximum control.
- Bumped Back Plate: This "bottomless" design provides extra room for longer cone excursions.
- Optimally Saturated Pole: The optimally saturated pole reduces magnetically induced heat by eliminating eddy currents throughout the voice coil stroke, and evens flux distribution to eliminate "hot spots."
Multi-Stage Ventilation System: The SWR-1542D has a multi-stage ventilation system with the following features:
- Cone/Voice Coil Junction Venting: The unique parabolic cone and voice coil attachment piece help to pull cool air into the motor structure.
- Spider Plateau/Leg Vent System: Two vertical slits are cut into each of the five "legs" of the basket below the spider to allow cool air to flow in and heated air to flow out.
- Dual Flare Pole Vent: Another part of the thermal management system is the unique dual flare design of the pole vent. This maximizes the flow of cooler air to the voice coil, and results in better power handling.
Dual Voice Coils: For increased system flexibility, the woofer has two 4-ohm voice coils. When the voice coils are wired in parallel with each other, the woofer presents a 2-ohm mono load. When the voice coils are wired in series with each other, the woofer presents an 8-ohm mono load. In addition, each coil may be connected to a different amplifier channel and each channel will see a 2-ohm load.
Power Handling: This woofer has a total RMS power rating of 750 watts and a total peak power rating of 2000 watts. Each voice coil carries an RMS power rating of 375 watts and a peak power rating of 1000 watts.
Push Terminals: The push terminals are all located on one side of the woofer. The terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, banana connectors, and dual banana connectors.
Jumpers: The woofer is equipped with two voice coil connection jumpers. These jumpers allow you to wire the voice coils in parallel (for a 2-ohm load) or series (for an 8-ohm load).
Recommended Sealed Box Volume: The sealed box sizes recommended by Alpine range from 1.3 cu/ft to 2.5 cu/ft. Within this range, the ideal size recommended by Alpine is 1.75 cu/ft, so this is the enclosure recommended by Crutchfield.
Recommended Vented Box Volume: The vented box sizes recommended by Alpine range from 1.5 cu/ft to 3.0 cu/ft. Within this range, the ideal size recommended by Alpine is 2.9 cu/ft, so this is the enclosure recommended by Crutchfield. A slot port with the following dimensions should be used with the 2.9 cu/ft enclosure: W=15", H=1.5", L=27". If you cannot use a slot port in your enclosure, you will need a port tube with the following dimensions: Diameter=3", Length=8.5".