About the Alpine UTE-73BT
Play it all
Play it all
I really enjoy listening to CDs at home, but in the car, they just don't fit my routine. I like a variety of music and sources, and my smartphone is my hub for all of it. So, a digital media receiver like Alpine's UTE-73BT is a streamlined way to enjoy your favorite songs, podcasts, and more in the car. This receiver works with both iPhone® and Android™ to give you in-dash control over your stored music files with a wired USB connection. And if streaming is your thing, built-in Pandora® control gives you track-skipping, channel browsing, thumbs up/thumbs down control and more from the receiver as well. And don't forget Bluetooth®! With a wireless connection, you enjoy your tunes as well as hands-free conversations.
Choose your source
This receiver's front USB port makes charging and swapping out music sources a breeze. Plug in a flash drive that you've loaded up with FLAC, MP3, or WMA files, or connect your iPod® or iPhone to listen to music. If you have a compatible Android, the Android Open Accessory protocol (AOA 2.0) delivers better sound and control over your stored music. You can also connect a portable MP3 player or other sound source to the front auxiliary input.
Make your music sound its best
If you're planning on adding an amp or two to your system, the UTE-73BT features three sets of 2-volt preamp outputs, so you have plenty of options. Your music will also benefit from the premium 24-bit digital-to-analog converter,
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- variable color illumination
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and music streaming
- plays MP3, WMA, and FLAC music files through USB
- compatible with iPod, iPhone, and Android
- Pandora playback with iPhone and Android
- 3-band parametric EQ
- 24-bit digital-to-analog audio converter
- low-pass/high-pass filters
- inputs: front USB port, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, and sub)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- external microphone included
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # UTE-73BT
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 4 ISO-screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Owner's Manual
Alpine UTE-73BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine UTE-73BT
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC|
Bluetooth 3.0 The Alpine UTE-73BT features built-in Bluetooth 3.0 with support for hands-free communication and wireless music streaming. You'll be able to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver, as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine UTE-73BT.
Multi-Device Pairing + Dual Phone Connection: You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Alpine head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled phones connected at the same time, so you can make and receive calls from either phone through the head unit. You can only stream music from one phone at a time; you will be able switch between the two phones front the head unit's rotary control dial. When a previous paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units.
- Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Alpine UTE-73BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- Auto Pairing (for iPhone): You can also pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Alpine head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled smartphone (including iPhone & Android). Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the UTE-73BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The controls of the UTE-73BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone, so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving A Call: The Alpine UTE-73BT provides a couple ways
to answer your phone calls without picking up your phone. Incoming calls
are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will
be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's display.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" button on your Alpine head unit.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 3 or 10 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making A Call: The Alpine UTE-73BT provides a variety of
functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The Alpine
UTE-73BT features full phone book access, call history, voice tag dialing, and
redial with compatible phones.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone, you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 contacts (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can select the first 3 call letters (ABC) to search for a desired name in your phonebook.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (20 each) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
- Redial: You can easily redial the number or contact you dialed last from the head unit's front-panel controls.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Alpine UTE-73BT supports wireless music streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the Alpine head unit. The UTE-73BT will process your Bluetooth audio using its built-in DSP Sound Expansion to ensure you get the best sound.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the UTE-73BT offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Alpine receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: The UTE-73BT will be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. Advanced music browsing (such as song/artist/album search) will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Song/Artist Display: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
- Volume Level: You can adjust the volume level of your connected Bluetooth devices from -6dB to + 6dB. This negates the need to adjust the volume level between sources each time.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Alpine UTE-73BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "Voice" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the UTE-73BT and its microphone. You even can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the UTE-73BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
External Mic: The included external microphone is tuned and engineered to reduce noise interference and feedback. This allows optimal placement in your car, for the best possible sound quality. The external microphone measures 0.5625" (diameter) x 1.5625" (deep); and features an attached 11.5' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-male 3.5mm connector.
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Alpine UTE-73BT enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android devices through its front-panel USB port. There are two types of modes (AOA 2.0 or MTP) to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The UTE-73BT supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1-7.1.2) to the UTE-73BT's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the Alpine head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Android Mode" will show up on display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music + Song/Artist Info): The UTE-73BT also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Alpine receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's front-panel LCD. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: You will need to setup Android connectivity within the head unit's menu. Select "MSC/MTP" for MTP playback and "Android" for AOA 2.0 playback.
iPhone Direct Connection: The Alpine UTE-73BT's front-panel USB ports can be used to connect your Lightning Apple device or 30-pin iPhone 4S to the head unit. The USB connection allows for playback of stored music and music apps on your iPod or iPhone through Alpine receiver. If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Alpines KCU-471i Lightning connector-to-USB cable (sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the UTE-73BT. If you have an iPhone 4S with a 30-pin connector, you can use the 30-pin to USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPhone 4S to the Alpine UTE-73BT.
- Basic Playback Control: You are able to control basic playback and search functions from the head unit, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Advanced music browsing (such as song/artist/album search) will still need to be done from your Apple iPod or iPhone device's touchscreen.
- Song/Artist/Album Display: The Alpine digital media receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information. The UTE-73BT will display artist name, song title, and album label.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine UTE-73BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/29/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Pandora Internet Radio App: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine UTE-73BT using your Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone or Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G) or WiFi. The UTE-73BT provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine UTE-73BT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The built-in tuner provides 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
USB MSC Compatibility: In addition to iPhone & Android connectivity, the Alpine head unit's front-panel USB port enables connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The USB port supports audio playback and control of MP3, WMA, AAC, & FLAC audio files stored on a compatible USB mass-storage class device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The head unit's USB port is not compatible with USB hubs or card readers.
Compatible Music Files: The Alpine UTE-73BT supports the following types of MP3, WMA, AAC, & FLAC music files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB MSC|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 16-48 kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 11.025-48 kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16 or 24-bit w/ sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folder/256 files per folder|
|Tags||ID3,WMA, AAC, FLAC tags|
Music Browsing: When you are playing a USB device with ID3, WMA or AAC tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the rotary encoder to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For USB devices without ID3, WMA, or AAC tags; searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song. You can even use Jump mode to quickly search your music list in 10% increments.
Playback Modes: The Alpine UTE-73BT offers Repeat and Random playback modes for USB playback. Repeat modes include All, Track, and Album. Random modes include Album, Device, or Off.
Auxiliary Input: The unit is equipped with front-panel minijack (3.5mm) auxiliary input, so you input audio from an auxiliary source unit; such as a portable MP3 player. You can adjust the volume level of your connected Aux device from -8dB to +18dB, negating the need to adjust the volume level between sources each time.
24-Bit D/A Converter: The Alpine UTE-73BT uses a 24-bit D/A converter for superb sound quality and playback of your music.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CTA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CTA-2006 logo on their product.
- CTA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: Add the KTP-445 (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445 is compact enough to install behind the Alpine digital media receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/2V Pre-outs + Sub Control: The UTE-73BT has three sets of 2.0-volt pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front & rear preamp output can be faded, while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. When the non-fading subwoofer pre-out is activated, you can adjust the subwoofer's volume level (0 to +15) & phase (Normal or Reverse).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossover: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass crossover for its front and rear speaker-level and preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter to 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off (full-range) The unit is also equipped with a low-pass crossover for the subwoofer preamp output that can be set to 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off (full-range).
Equalizer: You can select from 11 different EQ presets to get the best sound from all your sources. You can choose from Flat (off), Pops, Rock, News, Jazz, Electric Dance, Hip-Hop, Easy Listening, Country, Classical, or User. The User Preset activates the head unit's 3-Band Equalizer for a better sound response curve. Bass, Mid, & Treble can be adjusted with the 3-Band EQ.
|Bass||60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz||Wide 0.5, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.5, or Narrow. 2.0||-7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5kHz, or 2.5kHz||Wide 0.75, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.25, or Narrow 1.5||-7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)|
|Treble||7.5kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, or 15kHz||Wide 0.75 or Narrow 1.25||-7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)|
Note: The units stores independent EQ settings for each audio source.
Bass Engine SQ: Bass Engine SQ creates the ideal Bass impact for your music by automatically adjust the Bass, Mid, Treble, and Subwoofer level. You can adjust the effect level (0-6) of the Bass Engine SQ.
Beep Tone: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The Beep Tone can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The head unit's face-plate is detachable to deter theft (no face case provided). An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. If you turn your vehicle's ignition switch to the "Off" position without detaching the face-plate, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds to remind you to detach the face-plate. The alarm will only sound if the receiver's built-in amplifier is used.
Single-Line, High-Contrast LCD: The single-line, high-contrast LCD has 5x the contrast of a conventional screen, so the display is always easy to read. The LCD lets you view AM/FM stations and song/artist/album info from USB, iPhone, & Bluetooth sources. This unit can even scroll the text information. There are two Text Scroll settings - On (the information of folder and file names, and the tags are scrolled automatically) or Off (the display is scrolled when a track is changed).
Variable Color Illumination: The Alpine UTE-73BT features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 10 preset colors (White, Rose, Pink, Purple, Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Amber, Red) or customize your own color (RGB; 0-32). The custom setting allows you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue (from 0-60) to better match your vehicle's interior lights. The same color setting can be applied to both the display and buttons, or you can choose a different color for each.
Brightness & Auto Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the Alpine receiver's display from 1 to 10. This unit is also equipped with an illumination lead (orange); when the unit's dimmer mode is set to Auto and the illumination lead is connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display and button illumination will dim to the preset Brightness level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the Manual dimmer mode setting, so the display and button illumination is dim at all times.
Black Out & Auto Off: If no operation is performed for a while the Black Out feature (when activated) will automatically turn the head unit's display off automatically. When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting after 30 minutes of the power being turned off to the head unit.
Demo Mode: This unit has a demonstration feature for its display which can be turned On or Off in the menu.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine UTE-73BT is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's functions.
The Alpine UTE-73BT replaces these items
- variable color illumination
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and music streaming
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuners
28 questions already asked