About the Alpine X109-WRA In-Dash Restyle System
Live larger with this 9" touchscreen receiver
Live larger with this 9" touchscreen receiver
Your 2011-up Jeep Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited owns the trails, but it's not afraid to strut its stuff when out for a night on the town. Alpine designed the X109-WRA navigation receiver specifically for your Wrangler, no matter the trim level. This Alpine Restyle receiver features a massive 9" diagonal display that offers 41% more viewing area than a 7" screen. Even though it's sure to catch the attention of your passengers, this receiver's a highly practical piece of hardware that combines reliable guidance, connectivity options, sonic enhancements, and a custom dash kit that fits your vehicle perfectly for a factory feel.
How does it fit?
The included Alpine Restyle package accommodates the X109-WRA in pretty much every 2011-up Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited model, from the Sport up through the Rubicon Hard Rock. This package contains a dash kit which replaces a section of your dash, housing the receiver, along with wiring adapters that plug directly into the factory electronics and wiring. Alpine even gives you an iDatalink module that allows you to keep your steering wheel audio controls and the Jeep Uconnect® features you've grown fond of. Once you've identified your vehicle, we'll tell you if this Jeep kit fits it.
Factory functionality with an integrated look
The dash kit doesn't replicate your Jeep's dash, but it does offer the same features. The dash kit also offers custom keys that match lighting, color, shape, and style of your Jeep keys, and it lets you keep your climate controls, so you can keep track of the temperature inside and outside your vehicle. Big buttons along the sides of the 9" display offer simple access to commonly used functions, plus you can see what's behind you without putting your vehicle into reverse if you've got a compatible rear-view camera. You'll also retain your Jeep's 12-volt ports.
You'll see your maps easily on the 9" display, and you'll enjoy access to seven million points of interest and detailed road maps all across the entire U.S. and Canada. You'll also have time-saving aids like lane guidance, realistic views of complicated interchanges, and 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain to help keep you on the right path. You'll also receive real-time traffic reports in most metropolitan areas for as long as you own the stereo, at no additional cost.
Built-in Bluetooth allows you to use the X109-WRA for hands-free calling and music streaming through your compatible phone. The large touchscreen buttons for dialing and volume allow for convenient operation. Alpine includes an external microphone to maximize the fidelity of your conversations.
Quick access to cool features
The receiver's "Favorites" button gives you quick access to features you use frequently, like specific radio stations, phone numbers, destination searches, sound settings...anything you'll want to pull up instantly. One touch adds your choice directly to the favorites menu. Your favorites are tied to your phone's Bluetooth profile, so the X109-WRA brings up your favorites automatically when you get into your vehicle. You can have up to two user profiles tied to the stereo, with up to 80 favorites per user spread across 10 touchscreen pages. When the stereo detects two users at the same time, it can offer split-screen access to both users' favorites, so either user can gain control of the action in a jiffy.
A versatile display...
Not only does the X109-WRA offer easy touchscreen access, you can use the kit's side buttons to quickly pull up functions like favorites, navigation, phone access, and sound settings without going through menu screens. You can create a custom top source banner that shows the audio sources you use most frequently, so you don't have to scroll anywhere to choose between a disc player, radio station, or MP3 player. The X109-WRA also offers split-screen sound tuning, so you can adjust the sonic controls and change the tracks at the same time, for adjustments that don't waste time.
...with fingertip control
The 9" display features capacitive touchscreen control, similar to your smartphone or tablet. You can pinch-to-zoom the receiver's maps for a better view, or enlarge or shrink album artwork as you please with your fingers. It employs 4-way movement on the screen, so you're always one swipe away from your favorite functions. Swipe left for navigation, right for A/V commands, up for audio or rear-seat entertainment options, and down for Bluetooth and source selection.
HD Radio™, Pandora® Internet radio, and more
The X109-WRA comes ready to play with a multitude of entertainment options:
- HD Radio reception: You'll enjoy crystal-clear sound quality from participating AM and FM stations, including FM that sounds almost as good as a CD. Plus, you'll see station and song info on the screen.
- Pandora® Internet radio: Pandora lovers will love touchscreen control over their stations, including thumbs up and down, bookmarks, and station lists. Just plug your iPhone® into the USB port or use the Bluetooth connection with your Android™ device.
- iPhone and iPod® control: Browsing for your favorite songs is simple and concise, thanks to an intuitive touchscreen interface and the huge display. You can check out song title, artist info, and album art with a quick glance at the big screen.
- Satellite radio compatibility: You can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and your paid subscription.
The X109-WRA also features an MHL-compatible HDMI input, allowing you to connect most compatible Android smartphones and devices. With the correct HDMI cable connected, you'll be able to view video content from your phone or a portable Blu-ray Disc™ player on the Alpine's screen while parked. You also keep your front auxiliary input through the dash kit and get a rear USB port.
Connect up to three cameras
You can also connect up to three cameras with the optional Multi-Camera Selector Interface so you can see more of what's around your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. Dual-zone output means your rear-seat passengers can enjoy movies on your optional video monitors while you enjoy some music up front.
Play with your Jeep's coolest features
If you've tricked out your Jeep with add-ons, Alpine's got you covered. The optional Truck Accessory Controller enables simple system expansion, allowing touchscreen command of up to eight electrical devices like winches, LED lights, interior lights, suspension kits, tire inflators, and differential locks. You can customize the onscreen icons and button labels, so you'll be able to access your devices with ease.
Preset EQ settings for your Jeep
Alpine's audio engineers have loaded special Sound Parameters Settings into this receiver for all the vehicles covered by Restyle packages. You pick the one that matches your Jeep to get sound that's custom-EQ'd and time-corrected for your vehicle's acoustics. Tailored sound, no tweaking required.
Enhanced sonic controls
You can use your phone's touchscreen to make the changes to the 9-band parametric equalizer, crossover, and time correction with just a fingertip. You can then share your system and settings with other TuneIt app users, and see what they've done as well. You can link your TuneIt account to your Facebook account and get notifications through social media.
Siri® Eyes Free for non-distracting operation
Got an iPhone with Siri? This receiver supports Siri Eyes Free, which means you can ask Siri to make calls, select and play music, compose and hear text messages, read notifications, even use maps and get directions — all commanded by your voice through your Alpine receiver, without any visual distractions from your Apple® device.
The included iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your car's factory extras
You don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the X109-WRA offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module. You'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and Uconnect®, if present. The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Alpine's screen.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Installation Note: You will have to make some modifications to your vehicle to install this Alpine receiver. You will have to cut the factory radio's rear support bracket and modify the Jeep's trim panel. You will not be able to reinstall the factory radio.
Some states and localities prohibit or restrict the use of video and information displays in vehicles – it is your responsibility to see if any restrictions or prohibitions apply in your area.
- DVD/CD player with 9" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- custom-fit receiver designed for select 2011-up Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited models
- includes Alpine Restyle package with all installation parts
- includes iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR module
- retains factory features, including steering wheel controls and Uconnect
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- built-in iPod and iPhone control (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps)
- Siri Eyes Free control with select iPhones
- Pandora control with iPhone
- built-in Android control
- Pandora control via Bluetooth connection
- MHL-compatible HDMI cable required for viewing video content from compatible Android devices
- built-in navigation system with 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain
- maps of the United States and Canada, plus 7 million points of interest
- free lifetime TMC traffic service in metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- compatible with Alpine TuneIt App Ver 2.0 for sonic profile settings and adjustments through your smartphone
- 9-band parametric EQ
- time correction
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- compatible with Alpine's PXA-H800 IMPRINT audio processor
- dual-zone A/V output
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- compatible with optional Truck Accessory Controller and Multi-Camera Selector Interface
- inputs: MHL-compatible HDMI input, rear USB input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: digital optical output; rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Alpine X109D:
- 9" Touchscreen monitor w/ built-in DVD player
- Source unit
- 8" Display cable
- Pre-out harness
- Camera input adapter
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 11.5' cable)
- 5' USB extension cable
- Self-adhesive magnetic pad
- 3 Cable-clips
- 8 Pan-head machine screws (M5x8mm)
- 8 Countersunk machine screws (M5x8mm)
- 2 HDMI connector-clamps
- Installation Manual
- Quick Reference Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- "Read Before Installation" note
- "Warning" note
- "About the Rules of Bluetooth Eletromagnetic Radiation Regulation" note
- "Thank You" letter
- Alpine GTX-109D-WRA Kit:
- Dash kit
- Key harness
- 2 Mounting brackets
- Microphone (attached 12.5" cable)
- Mic bracket
- GPS antenna bracket
- Rear-support bracket
- iDatalink ALP-MRR Maestro:
- Radio replacement interface module
- Main harness
- USB harness
- Antenna adapter
- Satellite Radio antenna adapter
- 7" miniUSB-to-USB cable
Alpine X109-WRA In-Dash Restyle System reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine X109-WRA In-Dash Restyle System
Vehicle Compatibility: The Alpine X109-WRA in-dash navigation receiver is designed specifically to be installed in the following Jeep Wrangler vehicles (as of 6/15/2016).
Note: You will have to modify your vehicle's factory receiver trim panel and unbolt or cut out the factory radio's rear support bracket to make room for the new Alpine receiver. You will not be able to reinstall the factory radio once you've modified your vehicle's trim panel.
Two Separate Components: The Alpine X109-WRA consists of a two separate components; there is a 9" LCD capacitive touchscreen monitor with built-in DVD player which mounts to included dash kit and a hide-away source unit w/ built-in amplifier & tuner that mounts behind the dash kit. The included 8" display cable connects between the touchscreen monitor/DVD player and the hide-away source unit. Both components will also connect to the included iDatalink Maestro interface module with the included wiring harnesses.
Restyle System Dash Kit: The Alpine X109-WRA navigation receiver includes Alpine's G-KTX-109-WRA Restyle System dash kit which allows the aftermarket head unit to fit seamlessly into select Jeep Wranglers. The dash kit is made of specially formed OEM-grade, high-quality, high-strength ABS plastic that has been color-matched to the factory dash. Extra care has been taken to match the factory dash's shape, texture, and color ensuring a more OEM-like appearance. Unlike traditional universal dash kits, the Alpine Restyle System dash kit includes direct fit OEM-like brackets to ensure sturdy support and accurate positioning of the radio in your vehicle's dash.
OEM-Like Buttons: The G-KTX-109-WRA Restyle System dash kit is equipped with OEM-quality dedicated hard keys that match your Jeep Wrangler's dash lighting for a truly uniform look. The hard keys are fully integrated for quick access to core functions such as navigation, vehicle information, volume, phone access, My Favorites and rear camera view (when used with an optional camera system).
iDataLink Maestro Interface: The Alpine X109-WRA navigation receiver also includes the iDataLink Maestro (ADS-MRR) radio replacement interface with radio and vehicle harness. The iDataLink Maestro interface retains the following features when replacing your Jeep Wrangler's factory radio with the Alpine aftermarket navigation receiver.
- Electronic vehicle information center display (if factory equipped)
- USB media player (if factory equipped)
- Bluetooth w/ voice commands (if factory equipped)
- Steering wheel controls
- Parking sensor integration
- Customizable on-screen vehicle information
- Tire pressure information
Note: Retained features may vary by vehicle model.
Flashing the Module: The iDataLink Maestro module must be connected to your Windows PC and flashed with a specific firmware (SR-CHR01-DS) from the iDatalink website. The supplied USB cable plugs into your PC and allows you to "flash" the Maestro RR with the appropriate firmware to prepare it for installation. Simply visit iDatalink's Weblink site, and follow the instructions. System Requirements for Weblink 6.0 include:
- Windows 2000 (SP4), XP (SP2), Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, or 10
- Administrative rights on your PC
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or greater (excluding 64-bit version)
- Available USB port
Note: iDatalink Maestro RR is not compatible with a Mac.
Pre-Wired Harness: The radio, vehicle, and interface harnesses comes pre-wired, so all you need to do is plug the appropriate connector in the back of the Alpine X109-WRA, iDatalink Maestro (ADS-MRR), G-KTX-109-WRA Restyle System dash kit, and the vehicle's factory radio plugs. Even the navigation outputs (Vehicle Speed Sense, Parking Brake, and Reverse Light) are pre-wired to make installation much simpler and less time consuming.
Optional External Accessory Control: When used with the optional KAC-001 External Accessory Control Module (500KAC001, sold separately), the X109-WRA becomes a hub for touchscreen control of up to eight add-on accessories like a light bar, winch, headlights, etc. A graphical icon and custom text label can be assigned to each accessory for quick on-screen identification. Each accessory can be configured as pulsed, latched or momentary outputs.
9" Capacitive Touchscreen: The Alpine X109-WRA has a 9" WVGA (1.15 million-pixel) capacitive touchscreen LCD monitor (with 16:9 aspect ratio) that serves as a video monitor, information display, and system controller. The X109-WRAs touchscreen monitor provides a more balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so album art, map screens, and video are seen with greater clarity. All of the graphics & icons are crisp and clean for your viewing pleasure. A brand new user interface allows for 4-way swipe action control - Left, Right, Down, & Up. You are just one swipe away from the most commonly accessed features.
- Swipe to the Left to access the Navigation commands.
- Swipe to the Right to access the Audio and Video commands. Within the Audio/Video screen, you can swipe across to access all your entertainment sources (such as HD Radio, Pandora, SiriusXM, Bluetooth audio streaming, etc.).
- Swipe Down to access the adjustment settings to the Audio system or Rear Seat Entertainment system (sold separately).
- Swipe Up to access Bluetooth and Source Selection.
Note: For safety and legal reasons, the Alpine receiver features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. This also includes advanced setup menus. This also pertains to the receiver's System, Audio/Video, & Navigation Setup Menus.
Dual Screen: The Alpine X109-WRA lets you display the Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side. You can switch the right and left screens using simple drag & drop touchscreen commands.
My Favorites & Customizable Shortcuts: The My Favorites feature offers convenient shortcuts for the functions that you use the most; such as Audio Sources (HD Radio, Pandora, iPod, SiriusXM, HDMI, DVD), Navigation Commands (Favorite Destinations, Quick Place Search, Categories), & Phone Settings (Most-dialed Contacts). A shortcut soft key on the touchscreen within all audio/video and phone sources makes it even easier to add sources than before. Easily add, delete, and re-arrange your shortcut icons by dragging the icon(s) to a new location on the screen. Your settings are kept as a personal profile linked to your smartphone via Bluetooth.
Clock Display: The X109-WRA lets you select between a 12 hour or 24 hour clock. The clock is displayed on each source screen and turns off when the head unit is powered down. Once you have launched and accepted navigation mode, the unit's clock syncs up with the internal navigation system, so it automatically adjusts to your time based on your location. Whether you are in Hawaii or New York, the X109-WRA will adjust and display the appropriate time.
Display Settings: The Alpine X109-WRA offers the following settings to customize the head unit's LCD touchscreen monitor.
- Display Colors & Custom Start Up Image: You can choose from eight different background colors for the display; Blue, Light Blue, Aqua, Red, Green, Amber, Yellow, or White. You can even use a BMP image (800 x 480) that is stored on a USB thumbdrive as the head unit's opening screen.
- Display Modes: You can select one of the following display modes - Wide (evenly stretches a 4:3 picture horizontally to fit the widescreen monitor), Cinema (displays a 4:3 picture by stretching out the picture horizontally and vertically), or Normal (displays a normal picture at the center of the screen with vertical black bands on each side).
- Visual EQ Mode: You can select one of the following preset modes suitable for the video image - Off (initial setting), Night (suitable for movies with dark scenes), Soft (suitable for animated films), Sharp (suitable for old movies with less clarity), or Contrast (suitable for recent movies). You can also create two custom presets by manually adjusting the monitors Brightness, Color, Tint, Contrast, and Sharpness.
- Backlight Control: You adjust the brightness of the LCD backlight from -15 to +15. You can then select one of the following modes for the LCD's fluorescent backlight - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright).
Note: You can also turn the touchscreen completely off at night, if the display is too bright when simply listening to audio and have no need for a monitor display.
Start Up Time: The Alpine X109-WRA has a start up time of approximately 5.51 seconds from Off to the Navigation or AV source screen.
HERE Map Data: The Alpine X109-WRA offers reliable navigation with preloaded HERE map data of the United States and Canada, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The map database provides approximately 7 million points-of-interest (POIs) in various categories throughout the coverage area. The unit's map data is stored its built-in flash memory.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Future Updates: Future Map and Software updates will be available periodically and are input using the unit's USB port and a USB thumbdrive (sold separately). For updates and add-on options, please visit www.naviextras.com (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac). A free program called "Toolbox" can be downloaded from this website so you can create a copy of your map as a backup, as well as assist in easily checking for updates and optional features that are available.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Alpine X109-WRA features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside or outside of the vehicle. The GPS antenna measures 1.0625" (w) x 0.5" (h) x 1.1875" (d); with a 11.5' cable.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 19.5 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It took approximately 7.4 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the X109-WRA guides you to your destination via its on-screen map. The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets in a way that is similar to how the paper road maps show them. Their width and colors correspond to their importance; you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about the next route event (maneuver) and the next street or the next city/town. Both the type of the event (turn, traffic circle, exiting freeway, etc.) and its distance from the current position are displayed. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. Two data fields on the left of the screen shows the distance you need to travel on the route before reaching your final destination and the time needed to reach your final destination of the route based on information available for the remaining segments of the route. You can adjust the following map settings.
- Map Views (2D/3D): The X109-WRA provides three Map Views,
choose from North Up (North is always at the top of the display; this makes
it easy to determine your current heading with respect to the map), Heading
Up (current direction is always pointing to the top of the display; this
makes it easy to see the direction of the next turn on the map), or 3D View
(more realistic perspective by tilting the map and displaying it with a
horizon line; streets are displayed as you approach them instead of from a
birds-eye view). The X109-WRAs navigation software supports the following 3D
- 3D Terrain: 3D terrain map data shows changes in terrain, elevations or depressions in the land when you view the map in 2D, and use it to plot the route map in 3D when you navigate. Hills and mountains are shown in the background of the 3D map.
- Elevated Roads: Complex intersections and vertically isolated roads (such as overpasses or bridges) are displayed in 3D.
- 3D Landmarks: Landmarks are 3D artistic or block representations of prominent or well-known objects.
- 3D Buildings: 3D block representation of full city building data containing actual building size and position on the map.
- Map Color: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The night color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: Alpine's Dual Screen function lets you view Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side.
Highway Driver Assistance: The X109-WRAs navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel views, plus exit services for highway drivers.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction & Tunnel View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available. When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
Voice Guidance w/ Text-to-Speech: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the X109-WRA provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions, capable of text-to-speech (TTS), announcing the street names along with the turn directions. With turn-by-turn instructions delivered by Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology, street names, freeway numbers and freeway exit names are announced clearly through your vehicle's audio system. Directions are available in English, Spanish, or French.
Note: The X109-WRA will mute the audio source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your audio source's volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Traffic Message Channel (TMC): The Alpine X109-WRA contains a TMC (Traffic Message Channel) receiver that can provide you with the real-time status of the traffic along your route over the FM Radio Data System (RDS). If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. To fine-tune this recalculation, you can set the minimum delay that can trigger a route recalculation, or you can instruct the software to have you confirm the new recommended route before it takes effect. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event.
Note: TMC is not available in all cities.
Where AM I?: The "Where Am I?" screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency services nearby.
Selecting A Destination: The built-in navigation software offers you several ways of choosing your destination.
- Free-Form Search: A quick way to search for an address, a Place, an Address Book entry, or a History item is to use the free-form search. Simply enter a street address (just the street name or both the street and the house number), the name of a Place, a previous destination or an Address Book entry from this one search screen.
- Browse Map: Select a location on the map by simply tapping the map.
- Address: You can find an address by entering the exact address (including house number), the center of a city/town, an intersection, the midpoint of a street, or zip code.
- Address Book: Save frequented locations in the unit's address book to quickly add as a destination (like your home or office).
- Places (POI): Select from approximately 7 million Point-of-Interests (POIs); search POIs by name, preset, or category around your current location, destination, route, or specific city.
- History: Destinations you have set previously appear in the History search.
- Coordinates: Enter Latitude and Longitude coordinates as your destination.
Note: Any destination selection method can be entered with or without the parking brake engaged.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel).
Route Calculation: The unit's navigation software calculates your route based on the following selections.
- Vehicle Types: You can select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Methods: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when
calculating your route.
- Fast: Gives a quick route if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best selection for fast and normal cars.
- Short: Gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles.
- Green: Gives a quick and fuel efficient route based on the fuel consumption data given in Route settings. Travel cost and CO2 emission calculations are estimations only. They cannot take elevations, curves and traffic conditions into account.
- Easy: Results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers. With this option, you can make your software to take, for example, the freeway instead of a series of smaller roads or streets.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Modifying Your Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. Options include:
- Add Waypoint: If you already have a recommended route and you select a new destination, the unit will ask you whether to start a new route, add a new waypoint (intermediate destination) to the route or append the newly selected destination at the end of the current route.
- New Starting Position: For normal navigation, all routes are planned from the current position. In order to check future routes, simulate them or see their length in time and distance, you can turn off the GPS receiver. Then you can set the starting point of the route to a different location than the current GPS position.
- Edit Destination: You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations. You can add or remove destinations, modify the start position or reorder the list.
- Cancel Route: You can cancel the active route and delete its destination and all its waypoints.
- Route Alternatives: To recalculate the active route with a different route planning method, you can modify the unit's Route settings.
Route Preview: The X109-WRA lets you preview your route's instructions and simulate the drive. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can also preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Automatic Route Recalculation + Detour: The unit will automatically recalculates your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route. When you slow down while driving on a motorway, there is a chance that you are in a traffic jam so the software offers you a detour using the next exit. The message shows you distance of the exit and the difference in distance and estimated time compared to the original route.
Warnings & Alerts: The X109-WRAs navigation software provides the following warnings & alerts.
- Alert Points: You can save any map location as an alert point (for example a speed camera or a railroad crossing).
- Speed Limit Warnings: Maps may contain information about the speed limits of the road segments. The navigation head unit is able to warn you if you exceed the current limit. This information may not be available in all areas, or may not be fully correct for all roads in the map. Speed warning can be fine-tuned in Sound and Warning settings.
Trip Monitor: The navigation system's trip monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip monitor data can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip monitor data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Bluetooth Technology: The Alpine X109-WRA features built-in Bluetooth technology (version 2.1+EDR). The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine X109-WRA.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the X109-WRA without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Alpine head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. You can register up to 5 Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit, and keep 3 devices connected simultaneously (two hands-free phones & one portable audio device). That way you can switch between devices a lot quicker without having to re-connect and un-connect devices.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ Factory Mic: The Alpine X109-WRA supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The X109-WRA allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using your vehicle's factory installed mic and your car audio speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving Calls: The Alpine X109-WRA provides several
ways to answer your phone calls without picking up your mobile phone.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 5 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making Calls: The Alpine X109-WRA provides a variety
of functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine X109-WRA features full phone book access, call history, and redial
with compatible phones.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone, you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact or the telephone number.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can then search the contacts of your phonebook alphabetically.
- Presets & Favorites: You can assign up to 4 phone numbers for one-touch dialing to make a call easily. You can also make a phone call using the Short Cut function of numbers that you have registered as Favorites.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (60 total) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Alpine X109-WRA can stream music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Not only can it control & stream your music through Bluetooth, it can process your music using its built-in DSP to ensure you get the best sound. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the X109-WRA provides a Search List of your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title. The X109-WRA even supports audio streaming of music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone with song/artist information and limited control (continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to control advanced music app navigation).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Alpine X109-WRA has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel/touchscreen controls and external microphone. Simply press the head unit's "VOICE CTRL" button to engage Siri and use your vehicle's factory microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the X109-WRA and its microphone. You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Alpine X109-WRA; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Bluetooth Adjustments: You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone input to fit your own preference. You can also select which car speaker outputs the audio from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone/device. You can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
iPod/iPhone USB Direct Connection: The Alpine receiver supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin connector through its rear-panel USB port. The X109-WRA supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Alpine X109-WRA's USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 100dB.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Alpine's KCU-471i cable (500KCU471I, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Alpine X109-WRA for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Alpine navigation receiver.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: You can use Alpine's dock connector-to-USB cable (500KCU445I, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the X109-WRA for audio playback of stored music and music apps.
iPod/iPhone Control: During USB connection, the Alpine X109-WRA supports control, song/artist information display, and battery charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Head Unit Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen. The Alpine X109-WRA lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. The head unit also offers playback functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat for stored music and video files. Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track are supported by many music and video apps; not all apps will be compatible. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Information: The Alpine in-dash navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPhone & Android Mirroring via HDMI: The Alpine's X109-WRA's HDMI input can be used to connect select Android or Apple iOS devices with video output to the navigation receiver. With the vehicle's parking brake engaged you can mirror the smartphone device's image and watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) on the navigation head unit's touchscreen monitor. Stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPod/iPhone device can be heard through your speaker system without the parking brake engaged; however, there is no song/artist information display unless the parking brake is engaged. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device to select content, apps, and control playback.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Alpine's KCU-471i Lightning-to-USB cable; if you have a 30-pin iPhone 4/4S, you'll need a 30-Pin HDMI adapter and a 30-pin dock cable (all sold separately). In addition, for both types of iPhones, you will need Alpine's KCU-610HD HDMI cable kit or a mobile-grade HDMI cable (both sold separately). You'll also need Alpine's KCX-630HD HDMI switcher (all sold separately) for both types of iPhones. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device.
- Android Connectivity: Use Alpine's KCU-610MH HDMI cable kit (500KCU610M, sold separately) to connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note II/III/IV requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). You'll also need Alpine's KCX-630HD HDMI switcher (all sold separately) for Android connectivity. The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges the battery of your Android smartphone
Note: Because the X109-WRA's HDMI input is used for the built-in DVD player, you will need to purchase Alpine's HDMI switcher (500KCX630H, sold separately), which provides a total of two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output.
Alpine Connect App: Download the Alpine Connect App (powered by Airbiquity) onto your USB-connected Apple (iOS 7.0+) iPod/iPhone/iPad or Bluetooth-paired Android (OS 4.2+) smartphone/tablet and gain access to popular infotainment apps through the Alpine navigation receiver. Initially the Alpine Connect app supports Yelp & iHeartRadio, but will also add Spotify & Glympse by the end of 2016 (additional content will be added at later dates). The Alpine Connect smartphone app will provide simple content selection and user personalization from the Alpine navigation receiver. Content and features of the app will integrate into the Alpine receiver's touchscreen user-interface for enhanced user convenience that is formatted for in-vehicle use.
- Yelp: Find local places to eat, drink, and shop.
- iHeartRadio: Stream live radio stations from across the country, create custom music stations, stay up-to-date with 24/7 news, listen to on-demand podcasts, plus enjoy the best in sports, talk and comedy programming.
- Spotify: There are millions of songs on Spotify. Play your favorites, discover new tracks, and build the perfect collection.
- Glympse: Glympse is a fast, free, and simple way to share your location in real time with the people you trust.
Note: When new apps are added to the Alpine Connect app, they will automatically become available and accessible the the next time your compatible Apple iOS or Android device is connected to the Alpine navigation receiver.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine X109-WRA is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 6/15/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video/Mirror||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Alpine Connect||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text w/ Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, plus Album Art. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the touchscreen monitor of the Alpine X109-WRA. The RDS (Radio Data System) is a radio information system for analog FM. The RDS allows you to receive a variety of information such as traffic information, station names, and song information from standard analog FM radio stations.
- Preset & Direct Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search. You can also input a station number directly from the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Quality Setting: This unit can be set to three different FM tuner quality settings - Normal (standard), HiFi (high-quality), or Stable (controls noise).
- Ballgame Mode: In a live broadcast, such as a sportscast, a time lag occurs between digital sound and analog sound. Therefore, when live broadcasts are received, time lag between the real broadcast may occur and this unit can change to analog broadcasting automatically.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora Internet Radio App (for iPhone & Android): The free Pandora App (either from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine X109-WRA using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the X109-WRAvia the appropriate Alpine iPod connector cable (500KCU471I / 500KCU445I, sold separately) or the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, LTE (4G), EDGE, or WiFi. The X109-WRAprovides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine X109-WRAis SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- SmartFavorite Presets + Jump: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. All presets are recognized a SmartFavorites with advanced features like TuneStart, & TuneScan. The Jump feature lets you store your absolute favorite channel so you can jump to it with the press of a dedicated button and then jump back to the previous channel.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite preset channel on the current band. TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels on the currently tuned band.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay content from the currently tuned SiriusXM channel. The SiriusXM tuner will continually buffer up to 60 minutes of audio from the currently tuned channel.
- Song/Artist/Game Alerts: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Compatible Discs: The Alpine X109-WRA will play back DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, and CD-R/RW discs (12cm only). It will also support two-layer DVD discs. This unit can play MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files recorded onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW discs. The unit's face-plate electronically slides down to insert and eject a disc.
- Auto Reload: When a disc is ejected and left sticking out of the disc slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the disc to protect if from damage.
- Parental Lock: Parental Lock allows you to restrict the playback of DVDs that are unsuitable for younger viewers. You can select a parental lock rating from 1-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
- Angle Mounting: For proper disc playback, Alpine recommends mounting the X109-WRA no more that 30° above horizontal.
USB Mass Class Storage Devices: The X109-WRA's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. A 5' USB extension cable is included. The USB port enables audio/video playback & control of MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC music files and DivX video files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Alpine X109-WRA. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Media File Playback: The Alpine X109-WRA supports the following types of music files and video files recorded onto disc or loaded onto a USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (mass storage class device)|
|File System||ISO 9660 Level 1/2 or Joliet||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz|
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz|
FLAC: bit depth of 16-/24-bit; sampling rate of 8-96kHz
|Video||DivX (versions 3/4/5/6): optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||1,000 files/folders||10,000 files/folders|
|Tags||ID3 tags, WMA tags, AAC tags, FLAC tags, & Album Art|
Playback Modes: The Alpine X109-WRA offers various playback modes for disc and USB playback.
- Pre-stop Function: When the Pre-stop function is used, the position at which playback is stopped is stored in the memory, and playback resumes from that position.
- Repeat: Select between three modes; File (repeats playback of current track/file/chapter), Group (repeats only files in current folder), All (repeats all tracks/files).
- Random (MIX): Select between two modes: All (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Group (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
- Slow Motion Playback: When a DVD is in the pause mode, you may move forward through the program being played one step (frame) at a time or in slow motion (1/16 or 1/2 speed), forward or backward. No audio is played during slow motion playback.
Search Modes: The Alpine X109-WRA offers various search modes for disc and USB playback.
- File/Folder Name Search: When you are playing a disc with ID3, AAC, or WMA tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the touchscreen to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs without ID3, AAC, or WMA tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
- Direct Search: Use this function to move directly to the beginning of the a chapter or track on a disc.
- Skip (Next/Previous): During playback you can skip to the next or previous track, title, or chapter.
- Fast-Forward/Fast-Reverse: You can view a DVD in various speeds in either direction by touching and holding the fast-forward or fast-reverse button on the touch screen. You can select from 2x, 4x, or 8x, speeds.
24-Bit DAC: The Alpine X109-WRA utilizes a Burr-Brown 24-bit Digital to Analog Converter to ensure accurate audio reproduction.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: Add the KTP-445A (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/4V Preouts with Subwoofer Output Control: The X109-WRA has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
i-Personalize Setup: Tailor your vehicle's sound setting parameters through the X109-WRA's built-in i-Personalize feature. Choose your vehicle type, upholstery type, number of speakers, and speaker locations; and the X109-WRA will calculate and apply the optimal sound settings for your vehicle.
- Vehicle Type: Sedan, Couple, Hatchback, Mini Van, Small SUV, Large SUV, 2DR Truck, 4DR Truck.
- Listening Position: Driver seat or All seats
- Front Speaker Size: Small (3-4"), Medium (5-6.5"), Large (6x9")
- Tweeter: Yes or No
- Rear Speaker Position: Rear Deck or Rear Door panel
- Subwoofer: Yes or No
- Car Seat Material: Leather, Fabric, Half Leather (seats are both made of leather and fabric).
Note: An online version of i-Personalize is available for even more detailed time-correction and sound tuning. Once your adjustments are made online, you can download the parameters to a USB drive and transfer the settings to the X109-WRA.
Built-in Equalizer: The X109-WRA navigation receiver is equipped with a Preset EQ, a 9-Band Parametric EQ, and Alpine's very own Bass Engine SQ.
- Equalizer Presets: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of music source material. Choose from Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 9-Band Parametric EQ: You can create three Custom EQ presets by adjusting the head unit's 9-Band Parametric Equalizer to create a response curve more appealing to your personal taste. Band 1 (20Hz-100Hz), Band 2 (63Hz-325Hz), Band 3 (125Hz-500Hz), Band 4 (250Hz-1kHz), Band 5 (500Hz-2kHz), Band 6 (1kHz-4kHz), Band 7 (2kHz-7.2kHz), Band 8 (5.8 kHz-12kHz), Band 9 (9kHz-20kHz). Bandwidth Q (1, 2, or 3). Levels (-7 to + 7).
- Bass Engine SQ: Alpine's Bass Engine SQ optimizes the sound for all speakers in the vehicle according to the music genre and mood for well-balanced and effective bass sound. Select from six Bass Engine SQ Types - Standard (Natural low-pitched sound), Punch (boosted bass sound), Rich (rich low-pitch sound), Mid Bass (emphasizes presence of upper bass), Low Bass (emphasizes presences lower bass), and Off (bypasses Bass Engine SQ).
Audio Enhancements: The X109-WRA provides Time Correction, Media Xpander Pro, and Source Volume Level to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
- Media Xpander HD: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander HD is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander HD makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The FM radio, USB memory, HDMI, iPhone/iPod, Pandora, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
- Source Volume Level: The output level (+/-14dB) of each source can be individually adjusted. For example, if the Tuner level sounds lower than Bluetooth, its output can be adjusted without affecting the other sources.
Alpine's TuneIt App: The Alpine TuneIt app is an easy-to-use sound-tuning app that also offers Facebook notifications. Download this free app (from iTunes or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iPhone (iOS 6.0+ ) or Android smartphone (2.2+) and create a user profile about your vehicle and sound system. Your iPhone must be connected to the Alpine receiver via the appropriate Alpine iPod connector cable (500KCU471I / 500KCU445I; sold separately) or the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Sound Tuning: The Alpine TuneIt app turns your iPhone or Android smartphone into a sound tuning interface for the Alpine receiver. Follow the simple graphical instructions on your phone to adjust sound settings for your specific vehicle or choose from pre-made settings in the database. Settings that can be adjusted include Parametric EQ, Bass Engine SQ, Crossover, and Media Xpander. As you change settings on your smartphone, you will hear the results, so you can customize the sound to exactly how you want it. You can make and save up to 100 different sound settings in your account, which is helpful if you want various settings to use for specific types of music. After tuning your system, upload your settings to the Alpine Cloud Server to share them with other Alpine fans. You can also check out other user's settings and rate them. The more active you are, the higher your profile status progresses within the app.
- Facebook Notifications: The Alpine TuneIt app also keeps you in touch with your Facebook friends. When you receive a notification, you will get a visual alert on the smartphone and the head unit, plus a sound alert through your car speakers. The visual notification includes the Facebook icon and the sender's name, with the profile picture shown on the phone. You are then able to listen to the notification via TTS (Text-to-Speech) through the head unit and your vehicle's speaker. You can even "Like" the notification from the head unit's front-panel controls. In order to receive Facebook notifications on the head unit, the Alpine TuneIt app must be the active app on your smartphone.
Note: Access to the Alpine TuneIt app will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. You will also need to turn on the GPS function of your phone.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The volume of this feature can be set from 0-7.
HDMI Input: The X110-WRAs HDMI input provides connection to the built-in DVD player. If you need more than one HDMI input, you can purchase Alpine's KCX-630HD HDMI switcher (500KCX630H, sold separately), which provides a total of two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. The HDMI input support video resolutions up to 480p.
HDMI Output (w/ Dual Zone): The X109-WRA is equipped with an HDMI monitor output for rear seat entertainment (RSE). The rear seat entertainment function independently routes a different source to the front and rear of the vehicle. For example, while listening to the head unit's built-in HD radio or other audio source in the front, HDMI/DVD can be enjoyed in the rear with optional rear monitors (featuring an HDMI input) and headphones. The unit's HDMI input/DVD player is the only source that can be displayed in in the rear through the head unit's HDMI output. The HDMI output supports video resolution up to 480p. The parking brake does not need to be engaged to enjoy HDMI playback in the rear of the vehicle.
Camera Input: The X109-WRA features a proprietary camera input for connecting one of Alpine's proprietary backup cameras (sold separately. There is also a composite video rearview camera adapter which allows you to connect almost any camera with a composite video connector, like Alpine's HCE-C125 camera (500HCEC125, sold separately).
- Multi-View: The X109-WRA's camera input can be set as a Rear camera, Front camera, or Side camera.
- Guidelines: The rear-view camera function also provides on-screen color-coded guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle into a parking space. There is also a Hitch Guide feature which marks the position of the junction between your vehicle and your trailer on the head unit's monitor, when backing up.
- Backup Auto Switching: If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Optional Spare Tire Camera & Light System: The X109-WRA also supports Alpine's HCE-TCAM1-WRA spare tire camera & light system (500HCETCAM, sold separately); which consists of a rear view camera, LED third brake light, and LED reverse light in a 7" round housing that installs onto your Jeep Wrangler's spare tire mount.
- Backup Camera: The backup camera features a 1/4" color CMOS image sensor (300,000 pixels) and a wide-angle lens (132° horizontal / 105° vertical). Its illumination range is approximately 1.0 to 100,000 lux. The backup camera is optimally angled within the spare tire mount to provide visibility for both near and far objects behind your Jeep Wrangler. The camera's backup image will be displayed on the X109-WRA's video touchscreen.
- Third Brake Light & Reverse Light: The third brake light is 6.25" (w) x 2" (h) and stretches across the middle of the unit to provide extra safety. The reverse light is not only helpful when backing up, but also illuminates the camera's viewing angle in low light situations.
- Rugged Housing: The Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA spare tire camera & light system is waterproof and dust proof with an IP66 rating (universal standards set for International Protection Marking of products), so it's ready for off-road challenges like heavy dust and water crossings. The housing has a matte black finish with gun metal gray powder coat accents. It has a 7.125" diameter footprint.
- Spare Tire Mount: The Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA backup camera system conveniently installs onto the spare tire mount for an integrated look and is easily removed. The HCE-TCAM1-WRA attaches to your Jeep Wrangler's spare tire mount and is fixed using the factory lug nut or an optional aftermarket wheel lock. It is compatible with most factory and aftermarket wheels and comes with three mounting posts of varying lengths, allowing your to choose a post that fits the depth of the spare wheel. A removable rubber cap with a debossed Alpine logo covers the wheel lock in the center of the unit.
Optional Multi-Camera Selector: The KCX-C250MC Multi-Camera Selector (500KCXC250, sold separately) allows you to connect up to 3 proprietary Alpine cameras and control them from the X109-WRA's 9" touchscreen. The names of the connected camera systems appear on the main screen, so simply select the camera system you want to use. You can then choose the viewing option from that camera to be displayed on the screen.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked