About the Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A
Built for where you work
Built for where you work
My dad always told me not to start a job unless I had the right tools. The Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A CD receiver fits right in with that philosophy. It'll handle the challenges of the toughest job site — vibrations, temperature fluctuations, and extreme humidity — while its protective front panel covering keeps out the dust and grime from the dirtiest jobs. And if you're a trucker who takes your stereo out of the rig when you're off the job, the receiver's built-in memory will keep all your presets and other preferences for 30 days.
CDs and more
Slip in your favorite disc and enjoy skip-free playback, or tune in your favorite music or talk stations with the AM/FM tuner. The Weather Band tuner has automatic NOAA weather alerts so you won't be caught by surprise by severe weather, while the Radio Broadcast Data Service (RBDS) alerts you to traffic conditions in select areas. Going for the long haul? You can add a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner to the JHD13630B, and gain access to coast-to-coast reception of some of the most entertaining radio around.
Bluetooth lets you stream your favorite music services and other content wirelessly from your phone. Add Jensen's optional microphone and you can talk hands-free while you're operating your rig.
Plug your your iPod® or iPhone into the front-panel USB port, and you'll be able to access your playlists through the receiver's controls, as well as view song information on the display. If you want some other options, you can plug other audio devices into the front minijack or the rear RCA auxiliary inputs. For workplace communications, add an optional optional microphone and use your truck's sound system as a PA system.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM/WB tuner
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (optional mic required for phone calls)
- conformal-coated circuit board and protective front panel keep out dust and grime
- 7-channel Weather Band tuner with NOAA weather alert
- backlit blue and black LCD display, with amber button lighting
- built-in public address function (optional microphone required)
- optional remote control
- 30-day preset memory when disconnected from power source
- bass and treble controls with 5 preset EQ settings
- iPhone/iPod controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front (3.5 mm) and rear (RCA) auxiliary inputs, front USB port
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (rear)
Other Features and Specs:
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JHD36AB
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/RDBS/WB in-dash receiver (15A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Metal backstrap
- Rubber boot
- Philips-head bolt (with flat-/ lock-washer installed)
- 2 Hex nuts
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Installation/Operation Manual
- Quick Reference Guid
Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini, RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Amber|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Heavy Duty: The Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A is an in-dash CD receiver with built-in AM/FM/WB tuner and is Sirius Satellite Radio and iPod ready (requires optional Sirius Connect tuner and iPod cable). Jensen Heavy Duty series head units are specifically designed, built, and tested to withstand even the harshest road and work conditions, such as humidity, electrostatic discharge, vibrations, and temperature fluctuations. Its entire front panel is an impervious membrane protected to prevent dirt, grime from accessing control panel through pushbutton gaps. The head unit's conformal coated PCB board and heavy-duty design specification provides maximum durability under all conditions. The following tests are performed on Jensen's Heavy Duty in-dash receivers.
- Extreme Temperature & Humidity Test: Tested to ensure that the unit will fully function in -22° F to 158° F temperatures, as well as up to 95% relative humidity.
- Vibration Test: Tested to withstand 4G's at 20-500Hz for 9 hours to ensure the unit can withstand the extreme environments most commonly met in heavy duty applications.
- RF Performance Test: The RF Chamber test ensures that the stereo keeps clean signals in and the bad signal out, so you are always left with a steady signal without outside interference.
- Electrostatic Discharge Test: The Electrostatic Discharge Test exposes the radio to up to 25 kilovolts to make sure it can withstand the most severe static build-up while you are out on the job.
- Severe Electrical Environment Test: The Jensen Heavy Duty radio is designed to survive an alternator battery disconnection, because it is equipped with the necessary component to prevent "Load Dump" destruction.
Single DIN Mounting: This unit is designed for installation in a vehicle with an existing 1-DIN radio opening. In many cases a special installation kit will be required to mount the radio to your vehicle's dashboard. The JHD36A features an integrated trim-ring (non-removable) and pre-installed cage (removable).
2-Line Power System: The Jensen Heavy Duty series head unit features a 2-Line Power System which prevents battery drain when the vehicle is turned off.
Non-Volatile Memory: The JHD36A 's non-volatile memory saves your station presets and audio/user menu settings when the battery is disconnected.
AM/FM Tuner: The JHD36A is equipped with an AM/FM US/EURO tuner that can store up to 30 presets (12AM/18FM). You can search and store AM/FM stations manually or automatically. The head unit also offer Preset Scan which pauses the radio for 5 seconds at each preset station.
RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data Service): This unit is equipped to display RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data Service) information when broadcast the radio station. The following LCD indicators appears when data is received.
- RBDS: The current radio station is broadcasting RBDS data.
- PTY: Program Type data is being sent. When flashing, PTY search is in progress. In FM mode you can use the following search options - Any, News, Information, Sports, Talk, Rock, Classic Rock, Adult Hits, Soft Rock, Top 40, Country, Oldies, Soft, Nostalgia, jazz, Classical, Rhythm & Blues, Soft Rhythm & Blues, Foreign Language, Religious Music, Religious Talk, Personality, Public, College, Weather, Emergency Test, Alarm.
7-Channel Weatherband Tuner: The JHD36A is equipped with a built-in weatherband tuner with NOAA weather alert. NOAA Weather Radio is a nationwide weather system that broadcasts local weather emergency information 24 hours a day. The US network has more than 530 stations covering the 50 states as well as the adjacent coast waters, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and the US Pacific Territories. Each local area has it own transmitting station and there are a total of seven broadcasting frequencies used. You can set the unit to automatically turn on when there is an NOAA alert.
S.A.M.E (Specific Area Message Encoding): Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) data is also broadcast prior to alert broadcasts. SAME data contains information about the geographic region affected by the alert, the type of alert, and its effective time. The geographic region included in the SAME data is called the Geographical Area code and has the form PSCCCC where "P" represents a portion of the county, "SS" is a two-digit state, territory, or offshore marine area identifier, and "CCC" indentifies the county , province, or major metropolitan area within the state. SAME data also includes the type of alert being broadcast. This unit can be configured through the system setting menu with up to seven Geographical Area codes to limit the automatic tuning or power on functions based on the type of alert.
SiriusXM Ready: The Jensen JHD36A is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Direct Tuning via front-panel controls
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Disc Compatibility: The JHD36A supports playback of CD, CD-R, and CD-RW discs The head unit will play back MP3 (maximum 384kbps) and WMA (maximum 384kbps) audio files recorded onto CD-R or CD-RW discs. The JHD3510 will recognize up to 512 maximum folders, 12 folder levels, and a total of 999 files. The head unit also supports ID3 Tag information.
CD ESP: The Jensen Heavy Duty head unit features a 30 second electronic skip protection (ESP) to prevent your CDs from skipping during playback.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A features a front-panel USB (type-A) port behind a rubber cover. The receiver's USB port can be used for connecting a (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB device, such as your portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3 or WMA formats (up to 384 kbps). The JHD36A will recognize up to 512 maximum folders, 12 folder levels, and a total of 999 files. The head unit also supports ID3 Tag information. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Dual Auxiliary Audio Inputs: The Jenson JHD36A is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input and a rear-panel stereo RCA auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio sources to the head unit. The front-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input is located behind a rubber cover.
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen JHD36A is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, providing hands-free communication and audio streaming for added convenience and safety. Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the JHD36A.
- Hands-Free Communication (HFP): The Jensen JHD36A allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone using the Jensen Heavy Duty JMICHFP external omnidirectional microphone (522JMICHFP, sold separately). You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the JHD36A's LCD screen. Your car audio speakers will mute automatically during a call. To dial a phone number, you will still need to use your mobile phone's keypad. There is no built-in mic.
- Wireless Audio Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): The Jensen JHD36A also allows you to play back stored music and streamed music from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, PDA, or personal music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, Skip Previous/Next) of your music on your Bluetooth audio player from the JHD36A. This unit will also display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio source devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the JHD36A.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control: The JHD36A 's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your Lightning or 30-pin iPod/iPhone via the cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone. The iPod/iPhone power turns on automatically when an iPod/iPhone is connected, as long a the vehicle ignition is turned on. This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display. You can listen to stored music or music apps on your compatible Apple iPod/iPhone.
- Music Navigation: The JHD36A supports the following playback control for your iPod/iPhone; Play/Pause, Repeat/Random, Skip/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Category Search (Playlist/Artist/Album/Genre/Song/Audiobook/Podcast).
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album label.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it. This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 1/10/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Specialty Controller App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Amplifier: The Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A is equipped with a 45 watts (Peak) x 4-channel amplifier.
Pre-Set Equalizer: The Jensen JHD36A features a built-in equalizer with 5 preset settings - Flat, Rock, Pop, Classical, or User.
Bass And Treble: The JHD36A 's Preset EQ User mode features manual bass and treble adjustment. You can adjust the bass (100Hz) and treble (10kHz) independently from -6 to +6 dB.
Loudness: When listening to music at low volumes, this feature will boost the bass and treble ranges to compensate for the characteristics of human hearing.
2-Channel Preamp Outputs: The Jensen head unit features a pair of two-channel preamp outputs for connecting an external amplifier.
Beep Tone Confirmation: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
JHD Controller App: The JHD Controller App (for Apple iOS [coming soon] & Android OS 4.0+) turns your smartphone mobile device into a remote control for the JHD36A. Your Apple or Android device will need to be connected via Bluetooth to the Jensen JHD36A. Enjoy the convenience of all the primary functions of the Jensen receiver right in the palm of your hand from this app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device. This app controls all of the primary functions of your stereo features including -
- Power, Volume, Mute
- Source Selection (Disc, AM/FM, NOAA Weather, Bluetooth, USB, iPod/iPhone, & Aux)
- Playback Controls (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track)
- Song/Artist Information, Station Identification
- Audio Menus (Bass, Treble, Balance, Fader, & EQ)
Wireless Remote Ready: The Jensen Heavy Duty head unit is wireless remote ready (522REM10CC, sold separately). There is an IR receiver on the faceplate for use with the wireless remote.
Public Announcement (PA) Feature: The Jensen JHD36A supports a Public Announcement feature with the use of an optional microphone (sold separately). The head unit features a proprietary 4-pin port to be used with the optional Jensen microphone (available from manufacturer).
Full Dot Matrix LCD: The Jensen JHD36A features a full-dot matrix LCD display.
Button Illumination: The Jensen Heavy Duty series receiver features amber backlit button illumination.
Clock: The Jensen head unit features a selectable 12/24 hour digital clock.
The Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A replaces these items
- conformal-coated circuit board and protective front panel protect the receiver from dust and grime
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
8 questions already asked