About the Polk P1
A small wonder
A small wonder
The Polk P1 marine digital media receiver is a rugged, versatile two-piece unit that will bring outstanding sound and performance to your boat. This compact package consists of a water-resistant dashboard controller and a hideaway "black box" that lets you create a system tailored to your on-the-water entertainment needs. It's ideal for smaller boats, or any application where space is scarce.
Rugged black box receiver
The P1's hideaway box contains a built-in AM/FM/Weather Band tuner, plus a USB port for your iPhone, and an auxiliary input. Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music from just about any phone or your iPod. You can also plug in a USB thumb drive or portable player and enjoy MP3 and WMA files ripped from your CD collection. You'll want to tuck the box away, probably, but it's IPX5 rated for water resistance, just in case.
Handy watertight controller
The black box does all the work, but you'll enjoy easy access to all that functionality with the IPX6-rated watertight wired controller. The compact, robust design gives you maximum functionality and reliability, even in the tough marine environment. The 4.3" color TFT display lets you see what's playing, even in bright sunlight.
Your system starts here
The Polk P1 is a terrific start toward building an impressive marine audio system. The receiver houses a built-in 26-watt (200 watts max) amplifier and you'll really appreciate the preamp outputs when you expand your set-up.
The P1 works with SiriusXM's SXV300V1M satellite radio tuner (not included), so you can enjoy the wide variety of entertainment provided by satellite radio up to 100 miles offshore. You can use iTunes® Tagging, Artist Alerts, Song Alerts, Game Alerts and Replay to stay current on the music, news, sports, and entertainment that matter to you.
Terrestrial radio, too
The powerful AM/FM tuner hauls in plenty of local radio stations, no matter where in the world "local" might turn out to be. You'll also be able to get the latest on changing conditions from the seven-channel NOAA Weather Band tuner.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital media receiver does not play CDs.
- two-piece marine digital media receiver (does not play CDs)
- package includes hideaway black box module and compact controller with 4.3" display
- conformal-coated circuit board
- waterproof controller (IPX6) and module (IPX5)
- Audio Features:
- Bluetooth music streaming
- can be controlled by any Bluetooth-enabled device with the Polk Ultramarine app
- global AM/FM/Weather Band tuner
- iPod/iPhone control via Bluetooth
- plays MP3 and WMA files via USB
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: RCA audio/video input; USB port
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs
- built-in amplifier: 26 watts RMS (200 peak) x 4
- silicone rubber protective cover included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # P1
What's in the box:
- Wired controller
- Hide-away source unit
- Trim-ring (pre-installed)
- Rubber cover
- Wiring harness
- 10' Controller cable
- Two 15A fuses (one pre-installed)
- Mounting bracket
- 4 Self-tapping screws
- 4 Threaded studs
- 2 Hex-nuts
- 2 Lock-washers
- Quick Reference Guide
- Bluetooth Pairing Instructions
- Warranty Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk P1
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||26 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Display Color||Full Color|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine & Installation Notes
Polk Ultra Marine Certified: The Polk P1 is designed to withstand the harsh marine environment with an IPX6 rating for the waterproof commander (wired controller) and IPX5 rating for the hide-away module (source unit/amplifier). The Polk P1 is also corrosion (ASTM D1141) and UV resistant (ASTM D4329). It features conformal coated circuit boards and comes with a silicone-rubber protective cover for the wired controller.
Note: The Polk P1 can withstand splashes of water, but should never be submerged in water, as this will cause damage to the unit.
Two-Piece Modular Design: The Polk P1 features a two-piece modular design with a waterproof (IPX6-rated) wired controller and a hide-away module (IPX5-rated). The hide-away module consists of a built-in amplifier, tuner, and provides all source connectivity. The wired controller connects to the hide-away module via a 10' extension cable and provides system control and a 4.3" display.
- Mounting Options for the Hide-Away Module: The hide-away module is IPX5-rated and should be mounted where it is not in direct contact with water, extreme temperatures, or sunlight. Choose a mounting area for the hide-away module that will provide plenty of ventilation to prevent the amplifier from overheating. The hide-away module can be mounted in the horizontal or vertical position. Please note that when mounting in vertical position, do not mount with the harness exit points facing straight up, as water can collect around the chassis in these areas. Screws to mount the hid-away module are not included.
- Horizontal Dimensions: 8.25" (w) x 2.25" (h) x 7.75" (d).
- Vertical Dimensions: 8.25" (w) x 7.75" (h) x 2.25" (d)
- Mounting Options for the Wired Controller: The wired controller is IPX6-rated and can be mounted directly on the bulkhead for easy access. The wired controller will require a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead. It can be secured in the cutout opening and to the mounting surface using either the included bracket which anchors the controller in the cutout opening from behind the mounting surface, or using four screws which secures the controller in the cutout opening from the front of the mounting surface. A trim-ring is provided to hide screw holes.
- Cutout Dimensions: 5.8125" (w) x 4.4375" (h) x 2.0625" (d)
- Front-Panel Dimensions: 6.8125" (w) x 5.0625" (h) x 0.875" (d)
- The wired remote commander comes with a 10' extension cable that plugs into the hide-away module. If you need a longer cable, there is an 18' extension cable (PRCEC18, sold separately) available. Up to two additional 18' extension cables (sold separately) can be connected for a total of 36'.
- Do not mount the P1 within close proximity of the engine compartment.
Protective Cover: The waterproof wired controller comes with a silicone-rubber protective cover. Use this cover to protect the wired controller from sunlight, dust, and water when not in use.
2-Wire Non-Volatile System: The Polk P1 utilizes a 2-wire power system with a non-volatile memory and is only designed to operate with a 12V DC negative ground battery system. The included wiring harness plugs into the hide-away module and is equipped with the following bare wire leads that will need to be hardwired to Power, Ground, Amp Turn On (optional), and Speakers on your boat.
|3||Purple/black||Right Rear Speaker (-)|
|4||Purple||Right Rear Speaker (+)|
|5||Red||+12 Volts Switched|
|7||Gray/black||Right Front Speaker (-)|
|8||Gray||Right Front Speaker (+)|
|10||Blue||Power Amp Remote|
|11||White/black||Left Front Speaker (-)|
|12||White||Left Front Speaker (+)|
|15||Green/black||Left Rear Speaker (-)|
|16||Green||Left Rear Speaker (+)|
Low Battery Warning: The Polk P1 will display and output an low battery warning when the unit senses it is not receiving enough power from your boat's battery. When the Battery Alarm is set to "ON", an audible alarm will sound (3 beeps every 30 sec) when the voltage drops to 10.8V (+/- 0.3V). A visual warning (Battery Low) will also appear flashing on the wired controller's display screen.
Optional NMEA 2000 Kit: Polk's optional NMEA 2000 Kit (NMEA2K1, sold separately) allows the P1 to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control and two-way communication of the P1 marine system directly from your boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device, such as a Garmin Chartplotter/Fish Finder MFD (sold separately). Control functions include source selection, playback functions, volume up/down, and more. Two-way communication between the Polk P1 and your MFD also allows the display of source selection, song/track/album title (no album art), radio frequency and more to display on the MFD interface.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Polk Ultra Marine Certified P1 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth featuring support for wireless music streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone or tablet) to the marine digital media system. You'll also be able to operate basic playback controls (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the wired controller; other advanced playback navigation will need to be done from your Bluetooth source device. In addition, the wired controller will display song/artist/album information (no album art). Only one device can be paired and connected at a time; the unit will automatically reconnect with the last device paired. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 30'.
Note: The P1 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
USB Port: The USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive, to the Polk P1 marine system for playback of MP3 music files. The P1 supports playback of MP3 files with a sampling frequency of 16-28kHz and a maximum bit rate of 384kbps. The system can recognize up to 512 folders and 999 files.
- Control: The P1 offers search and playback control functions - including Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, Repeat/Random, and Intro (10-sec).
- Display: The system's wired controller will display artist/album/song information (no album art).
- Charging: The USB port can be used to charge your smartphone device and is rated at 5V/1A.
- After loading a USB MSC device, files and folders are accessed in the order in which they were written to the USB device. Therefore, the playing order may not be the same as the order in which they are expected to be played.
- The unit's USB port does not support Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphones/tablets, USB hubs, or card-readers.
Aux Input: The Polk P1 is outfitted with a stereo RCA auxiliary input for connecting an external audio device.
AM/FM/WB Tuner + SiriusXM-Ready
AM/FM Tuner: The Polk Ultra Marine Certified P1 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM stations and 12 AM stations as presets. You can also activate the "Autosave" function, allowing the marine receiver to automatically select the strongest stations and store them as presets for the selected AM/FM band. There are no physical preset buttons on this unit. Instead, the unit will display a list of preset stations in a current band or you can scan (10-sec) through your preset stations in a selected band.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- US or European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard (87.5-107.9MHz) and European (87.5-108MHz) tuning spacing.
NOAA Weatherband Tuner: NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) is a nationwide system that broadcasts local weather emergency information 24 hours a day via the National Weather Service (NWS) network. The U.S. network has more than 530 stations covering the 50 states as well as the adjacent coastal waters, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the U.S. Pacific Territories. Each local area has its own transmitting station and there are a total of seven broadcasting frequencies used.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Polk P1 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Direct tuning of a SiriusXM station
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
- A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
- There is a thick sticker over the SiriusXM port on the back of the hide-away module that will need to be removed before accessing the port and plugging in the SXV300 tuner (sold separately).
Amplifier & Audio Section
Built-in 4ch Amplifier: The Polk Ultra Marine Certified P1 is equipped with a 26 watt (RMS) / 50 watt (Peak) x 4 channel amplifier for power up to two pair of marine loudspeakers (4-ohm rated).
4Ch Pre-Outs: In addition to the built-in amplifier, the P1 offers 4-channel/2-volt pre-outs for connecting external power amplifiers. The pre-outs are labeled Front & Rear (there is no sub pre-out or built-in crossovers). If you connect a subwoofer amplifier to the front or rear pre-outs, make sure your amplifier has its own low-pass crossover adjustment.
EQ Presets: The Polk P1 offers five EQ presets for easy sound adjustment. You can choose from User, Flat, Rock, Classical, or Pop.
Tone Controls: The User EQ preset allows you to manually adjust the system's Bass (100Hz) & Treble (10kHz) levels from -10 to +10dB. The unit also provides balance and fade control.
Loudness: When listening to music at lower volume levels, the Loudness feature boosts the Bass & Treble ranges so they can be heard better.
Key Beep: A beep tone will sound with any press of a button on the wired remote commander. This can be turned on or off.
Display & Remote Features
Wired Remote Commander w/ 4.3" Display: The included wired remote commander features a 4.3" color display with a 3-way rotary knob and push-button control. The 4.3" LCD screen will display song/artist/album information (no album art) for USB, Bluetooth, and SiriusXM (optional). The display also indicates station identification for AM/FM and NOAA weatherband tuner. The 3-way rotary knob provides volume control and mute function, as well as allows you to navigate through a menu list and make selections. There are 8 push-buttons that provide a variety of functions such as Power On/Off, Source Selection, Playback Control, Search Functions, and Menu Settings. You can adjust the brightness level of the display and button illumination, as well as the contrast of the display.
Note: The wired remote commander comes with a 10' extension cable that plugs into the hide-away module. If you need a longer cable, there is an 18' extension cable (PRCEC18, sold separately) available. Up to two additional 18' extension cables (sold separately) can be connected for a total of 36'.
Optional Wired Remote: In addition to the included wired remote commander, you can connect an additional wired remote (PRC100BC, sold separately) to give you control of the system from another area of your boat. The optional wired remote only provides basic control functions (such as Power, Source, Band, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Station Seek); there is no visual display. In addition to the wired remote controller, you'll also need a Y-adapter cable (PRCYC1, sold separately) to split the P1's one wired remote input into two inputs. There is also an optional 18' extension cable (PRCEC18, sold separately) available if you need a longer length of cable for the wired remote.
Polk Ultra Marine App: The Polk Ultra Marine App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.3+) turns your compatible smartphone or tablet into a remote control for the P1 marine digital media system. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be paired and connected via Bluetooth to the Polk P1. This app controls all of the primary functions of the P1, including -
- Power On/Off
- Volume Up/Down, Mute
- Source Selection (AM/FM, NOAA WB, Bluetooth, USB, SiriusXM [optional])
- Playback Control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Station Seek, Station Presets, etc)
- Song/Artist/Album Display (no album art)
- Audio Settings (bass/treble, balance/fader, EQ presets, etc)