About the Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR
Keep your discs
Keep your discs
Bring your CDs and DVDs back into rotation with this Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR DVD receiver. The vibrant 7" HD touchscreen display provides an exciting command center for music and video playback, hands-free calling, and accessing apps on your phone, thanks to Apple CarPlay® with Siri Eyes Free control and Android Auto™ with Google Assistant. Soundstream also builds essential hard keys and a volume control knob into this stereo for easy control while you're driving.
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
Soundstream builds both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into their VRCPAA-7DR receiver, so iPhone and Android users benefit from a big touchscreen and voice control of their favorite smartphone features. If you use Siri or Google Assistant regularly, you'll find that this hands-free control translates perfectly to the car.
Media sources galore
If you love music and talk, this is your stereo. Stream your favorite music and podcasts via Bluetooth or tune in your favorite AM/FM radio stations. Slide in an all-time classic CD when you want to go old-school, or you can load up a USB drive or microSD card with hits from your digital library. Use the front auxiliary input to connect a portable player, or the or the dual rear video outputs to send video to backseat screens. And while the parking brake is engaged, you can even watch DVDs in the front.
Expand your system
If you have a more expansive system in mind, use the full set of preamp outputs to connect an amp or powered sub. Plus, Soundstream gives you inputs to incorporate a backup cam and a dash cam for more safety when you're driving.
Note: You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- DVD receiver
- 7" HD glass touchscreen display
- industrial-grade glass top panel for less glare
- 7-color adjustable key illumination
- fits double-DIN openings
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible
- Siri Eyes Free and Google Assistant compatible
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC , and FLAC audio files on USB, microSD, and disc
- plays AVI, MP4, and H264 video files on USB, microSD, and disc
- inputs: front aux input (minijack), rear A/V input (RCA), front USB input, microSD card slot, backup and front-view cam inputs
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, mono sub), dual rear video outputs (RCA)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (25 watts RMS/75 peak x 4 channels)
- wireless remote
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VRCPAA-7DR
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver (15A fuse)
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- Accessory harness
- Remote control
- 2 Brackets
- 8 ISO-screws
- Owner's Manual
- Owners Registration Card
Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Port Power||1.5A|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|iPhone||5 and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||25 watts|
|Peak Output||75 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||1kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||15 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Android Auto: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Soundstream receiver's USB port via the the USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen user interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Soundstream receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Soundstream receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Soundstream receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Use a USB-IF certified cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your USB-connected iPhone 5 or newer (running iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector in the car, while you stay focused on the road. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR in-dash receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the VRCPAA-7DR receiver's 7" touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction.
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the VRCPAA-7DR's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply tap the "Phone" icon and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via touchscreen and Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the built-in microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level the microphone.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Soundstream receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus iTunes radio from the Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the VRCPAA-7DR's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The VRCPAA-7DR's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Soundstream receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Audio Apps & Podcasts: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, podcasts, sports, news, and audiobooks - including Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, Audiobooks.com & Audible (subscriptions and fees may app). Control them from the head unit's touchscreen or Siri just like you would from your iPhone. Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Soundstream receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
Notes:Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or newer running iOS 7.1 or newer.
- Use a Apple Certified Lightning-to-USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Smartphone Charging: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR will also charge (5V/1.5A) your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 4.2: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.2 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Soundstream receiver.
Secure Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Multiple devices can be paired with the Soundstream receiver, but only one device can be connected and used for playback at a time. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Hands-Free Communication with Integrated Mic: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. The receiver will display the caller's phone number and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. An incoming call can be answered from the head unit's touchscreen or you set the unit to automatically answer an incoming phone call. The VRCPAA-7DR allows you to carry on the phone conversation using the integrated front-panel microphone and your car audio speakers. Your music will mute automatically during a call. You can make calls from the head unit's touchscreen by entering the phone number directly on the receiver' on-screen numeric keypad, selecting from a list of displayed call logs (dialed/received/missed- up to 20), or using your phone's transferred phonebook.
Note: There is mic input on back of the head unit for adding an optional external microphone (sold separately).
Wireless Audio Streaming with Advanced Music Browsing: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR allows wireless play back of stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or other device using a Bluetooth connection. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the Soundstream receiver lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4-up phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The unit will also display song/artist information (no Album art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Disc Compatibility: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio and CD-R/RW discs. The unit can play back a variety of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a compatible DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, or CD-R/RW disc. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, so you don't have to open or close the monitor every time you want to load a disc.
- Off Insert: A disc can be inserted even the unit is turned off, as long as your vehicle's key is in the on or accessory position. Once a disc is loaded the unit will automatically turn on and begin playback.
- Off Eject: A disc can also be ejected with the unit powered down, as long as your vehicle's key is in the on or accessory position. The unit will remain off.
- Auto Reload: If the ejected disc is not removed within 10 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust; playback starts automatically.
microSD Card Slot: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR is equipped with a front-panel microSD card slot for connection of a compatible microSD memory card (up to 64GB). The microSD card slot allows for playback of a variety audio, video, and photo files stored on your inserted microSD memory card. You'll also be able to control your microSD card's music from the head unit's touchscreen and view song/artist/album information (including Album Art) on the unit's touchscreen monitor.
USB MSC Playback: In addition to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the front-panel USB-A port can be used for connection of a compatible USB MSC (mass storage class) device; such as a USB thumbdrive (up to 64GB). The USB port allows for playback of a variety audio, video, and photo files stored on your USB MSC device. You'll also be able to control your USB device's music from the head unit's touchscreen and view song/artist/album information (including Album Art)on the unit's touchscreen monitor. The USB port can also be used to charge your smartphone or other USB-enabled electronic device with a 1.5A USB amperage rating.
Note: The USB-A port is not compatible with USB hubs, or card-readers.
Compatible Media Files: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR supports the following audio, video, and photo files on disc, USB, and microSD. Some files may not play back due to certain limitations.
- Audio Files: Compatible audio files include MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC (USB and microSD only).
- Video Files: Compatible video files include AVI, MP4, and H264.
- Photo Files (USB and microSD only): Compatible photo files include JPEG, GIF, and PNG.
Note: To prevent the display of video and photos while the vehicle is in motion, the brown wire of the included wiring harness must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video or photos unless your vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged. If you attempt to view video or photos without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a black screen with a warning.
AV + Camera Connectivity
Front-Panel Aux Input: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR features a front-panel 3.5mm Aux input that allows a wired connection of a portable audio device. The 3.5mm Aux input supports audio playback only (does not support video).
AV Input: The Soundstream receiver's rear-panel AV input consist of a composite video RCA jack and a set of analog audio stereo RCA jacks for connection of an external audio/video source - such as a TV tuner or Blu-ray player.
- To prevent the display of video and photos while the vehicle is in motion, the brown wire of the included wiring harness must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video or photos unless your vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged.
- If you attempt to view video or photos without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a black screen with a warning.
Dual Video Outputs: Two composite video output jacks allow you to add external monitors, such as rear headrest or overhead monitors (sold separately). Both video outputs will display the same source on your rear monitors that is selected on head unit. Compatible sources include DVD, USB, microSD, and AV input. The video outputs do not require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged to see video in the rear of your vehicle.
- These are only video outputs; no audio is distributed to your rear entertainment system.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto cannot be transmitted through the video outputs.
Dual Camera Inputs: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR features dual camera inputs that consist of composite video jacks. There is a rear view camera input and a front view camera input. Cameras sold separately (see Accessories Tab).
- Rear View Camera: When an optional rear view camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the integrated 7" touchscreen monitor when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (pink wire of harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse gear circuit). Automatic video switching can be set to 0.1, 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds. The unit will also display on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up.
- Front View Camera: The VRCPAA-7DR also features a second composite video camera input that can be used for connecting a front camera or dash cam (sold separately). The front view camera input is manually selected from the head unit's touchscreen (no auto switching). The head unit's harness offers a power wire (pink/black) for the front view camera.
Note: The camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the cameras when backing-up. In addition to using the cameras, always look around you to make sure everything is clear when maneuvering your vehicle.
25W x 4Ch Amplifier: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR receiver is equipped with a 25 watt (RMS) / 75 watt (Peak) x 4 channel amplifier for powering up to two pair of speakers in your vehicle.
5Ch/4V Preouts: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR is outfitted with 5Ch/4V preouts - including a stereo front preout, stereo rear preout, and mono sub preout. This allows you to connect an additional power amplifier or amplifiers. The front and rear preouts can be faded, while the sub preout is non-fading.
Sub Control with Low Pass Crossover: The head unit's subwoofer preout utilizes its own low pass crossover which can be set to 50Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or 160Hz. You can adjust the subwoofer output's level (-10 to +10) independently from the overall volume.
EQ: The receiver offers 6 EQ presets - Soft Rock, Pop, Electric, Jazz, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 10-band EQ (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k,2k, 4k, 8k 16k Hz) from -6dB to +6dB.
Loudness: The Loudness feature enhances high & low frequencies at lower volume levels.
AM/FM Tuner: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM and 12 AM station presets. The built-in AM/FM tuner also supports RDS (Radio Data Systems), as well US an European tuning.
- RDS (Radio Data System): RDS (Radio Data System) is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency.
- US or European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
7" Touchscreen Monitor: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR features an HD quality high-resolution 7" TFT-LCD touchscreen monitor (1024 x 600). The resistive touchscreen offers pinpoint accuracy, while its industrial-grade glass top-panel provides low reflection. The large format user interface makes menu navigation simple and intuitive.
- Wallpaper & Backgrounds: You can select between 5 preset wallpaper backgrounds. Or, you can use a custom JPEG image on a USB thumbdrive for the head unit's wallpaper background.
- Dimmer & Brightness Settings: You can manually adjust the LCD touchscreen monitor's brightness for day (8-15) and nighttime (0-8) viewing. You can also setup the unit to have the display dim when you turn your vehicle's lights on (the orange wire of the wiring harness must be connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit).
- Date & Time Display: The receiver offers date (Month/Date/Year) and time (12 or 24 hour) display.
Note: You can select between English, French, Spanish, Dutch, or Portuguese for the menu language.
Parking Brake Interlock: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in touchscreen monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the brown wire within the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Note: The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options.
Variable Color Button Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen monitor, the VRCPAA-7DR features a 3-way rotary knob and hard-key buttons along the left edge of the head unit. The unit offers variable illumination for the rotary knob and buttons. You can select from 7 colors - White, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple, or Light Green. You can also have the button illumination continuously cycle through all the colors.
IR Remote: The Soundstream VRCPAA-7DR comes with a 33-button IR remote control for full operation of the in-dash DVD receiver. The remote is powered by two "AAA" batteries (not included and sold separately).
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
9 questions already asked