About the Soundstream VRCP-65
A frugal CarPlay option
A frugal CarPlay option
I'm an iPhone® user, and quite honestly, I don't think I can live without Apple CarPlay™ now that I've tried it. And perhaps like you, I'm on a budget. Enter the Soundstream VRCP-65 DVD receiver. In addition to a great way to enjoy music, navigation, and contacts from your iPhone, this receiver also lets you bring along your personal music collection, stream tunes using Bluetooth®, provides an option for SiriusXM, and delivers a way for Android™ users to get their phones involved using E-link®.
A great way to integrate your iPhone
CarPlay lets you access your iPhone's content with voice commands. Plug in your iPhone®, and this stereo's controls behave like your iPhone's interface to give you total access to your navigation, phone calls, weather, text messages, and of course all your music. Simply connect your iPhone, and there's no better way to get access to the music and info you need while keeping your attention on the road. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Apple CarPlay enables your iPhone's interface to work directly on this receiver. You can also call upon Siri for voice commands.
Go wireless with Bluetooth®
Bluetooth enables wireless streaming for music, podcasts, and audiobooks, along with the convenience of hands-free phone calls. This Soundstream lets you quickly switch between two paired phones — handy for vehicles with more than one driver. You can install the included wired microphone close to you, so callers can hear you loud and clear.
E-link for Android phones
If you're an Android user, you can of course stream audio from your phone wirelessly using Bluetooth. But once you load the Autolink app from the Google Play store on your phone, you can plug your phone into this receiver's USB port. The VRCP-65 will show off your phone's display on its big screen and charge your phone. You can use its touchscreen controls to run the show on your phone.
Ways to your music
CarPlay gives you access to lots of Internet radio apps, like Pandora®, Spotify®, and Amazon Music®. If you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away when you look for new adventures, add a SiriusXM tuner to this Soundstream to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming from coast to coast. You can also connect a USB drive full of your digital tunes, slide in a CD, or go old school with AM/FM radio.
Other cool options
In addition to being a great display for system and song info, you can also use Soundstream's 6.2" LCD screen to view movies and video from DVDs and other sources when your car is parked. If you want to take your show on the road, connect a video screen to the video output on the VRCP-65 and keep your passengers entertained. If you like to tweak your sound, you'll dig this receiver's 10-band equalizer. The five 4-volt preamp outputs let you add an amp and subwoofer for some added depth to your music.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- 6.2" high resolution TFT-LCD capacitive touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0) for hands-free calling and audio streaming (external mic included)
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- works with Apple CarPlay
- compatible with Siri Eyes Free
- E-link feature mirrors Android phone display on radio using Autolink app (Android 5.0 and higher)
- 10-band equalizer with six presets
- subwoofer low-pass filter and level control
- compatible with SiriusXM tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, rear audio/video input (RCA), rear-view camera input
- outputs: rear video output (RCA), 5-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, mono sub)
- built-in internal amp (25 watts RMS/75 peak x 4 channels)
- wireless remote control included
- selectable wallpaper and button illumination (5 colors)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VRCP-65
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ fixed 6.2" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (pre-installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a mono-3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 2 Removal tools
- 6 ISO-screws
- Self-tapping screw
- Rubber boot
- Wiring Connection sheet
- Warranty/Registration Card
- Warning note
Soundstream VRCP-65 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Soundstream VRCP-65
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||25 watts|
|Peak Output||75 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze (coming soon)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N/A|
|Preamp Voltage||4.0 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||15 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC|
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is the smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone must be connected to the Soundstream VRCP-65's rear-panel USB port (attached to chassis via 57" cable). Apple CarPlay launches immediately upon connecting your iPhone to the receiver via USB. A familiar user interface will appear on the receiver's touchscreen including the home button to activate Siri voice control. Use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mail, send/receive messages and select music in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Maps: Apple Maps will be mirrored on the receiver's touchscreen, including traffic information and estimated time to destination. Use Siri or the receiver's touchscreen controls to request turn-by-turn directions, and search by address or by points-of-interests (POIs). If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze (coming soon), you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: Use Siri or the receiver's touchscreen controls to make calls, return missed call, listen to voicemail messages, and answer calls with caller ID notification. You can also ask Siri to send, read, and reply to text messages. This hands-free operation minimizes distraction and allows you to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
- Music & Apps: Access your iPhone's music by artist , song, playlist, and more through the receiver's touchscreen control or via Siri. The receiver will mirror the iPhone screw with artist and track information, including album art. Apple CarPlay also supports audio form select music and podcasting apps - including Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Audiobooks.com, Audible, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, & OverCast.
Note: Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
E-Link w/ Auto Link App (Phone Link): The Soundstream VRCP-65 will mirror your Android OS 5.0+ device's display and audio through the use of its USB connection and the Auto Link App. Your compatible Android device's screen will be displayed on the VRCP-65's touchscreen monitor, while audio from the Android device will be heard through your connected speakers. You'll even get control of your connected Android device through the Soundstream receiver's touchscreen monitor. Use E-Link and the Auto Link App to mirror navigation, social media, and video apps on the VRCP-65; as well as listen to music apps and podcasts through your car speakers. Follow these instructions to enable E-Link (Phone Link) on your compatible Android smartphone and the Soundstream receiver -
- The "Unknown Sources" setting found under Security Settings of your Android phone must be enabled and set to "On". You must also access "Developer Mode" and enable "USB Debugging" in the Android phone's Settings menu. How to access these settings depend on your model Android phone.
- Plug in your compatible Android smartphone via USB and press the "Phone Link" icon on the VRCP-65's touchscreen. Your phone's screen should now be mirrored and controlled from the VRCP-65's touchscreen monitor.
- There is "Circle" Icon at the bottom of the touchscreen which allows you rotate your smartphone's mirrored image horizontally or vertically, go back to the previous screen of your phone, and bring up your home's main menu screen.
- By enabling "Unknown Sources" you are able to install apps from unknown sources that may be harmful to your phone and personal data. By enabling "Unkown Sources", you agree that you are responsible for any damage to your phone or loss of data that may result from using any of these applications.
- We recommend disabling "Unknown Sources" once you are finished using the E-Link (Phone Link) feature. We recommend not downloading any applications (except for the Auto Link App) while "Unknown Sources" is enabled. Turn off "Unknown Sources" before downloading any other apps.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi to access online app services when using CarPlay or E-Link (Phone Link). Access to online applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The Soundstream VRCP-65 will also charge (5V/1A) your Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone or E-Link (Phone Link) compatible Android smartphone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 4.0: The Soundstream VRCP-65 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the VRCP-65.
Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the VRCP-65. The unit features SSP (Simple Secure Pairing), so you can pair and connect your device without entering a pin-code. Multiple device can be paired to the VRCP-65, but only one can be connected and played back at a time through the receiver. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the device and receiver.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The VRCP-65 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen and carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The included external microphone carries on your side of the conversation, while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can increase or decrease the unit's Mic Gain between Low, Middle, or High.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the VRCP-65, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Soundstream in-dash receiver's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made by entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook using the multimedia receiver's touchscreen. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls - 20 total) to make a call from the VRCP-65's touchscreen.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Soundstream VRCP-65 allows you to play back stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player through the multimedia receiver. In addition to basic playback and search functions (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), you'll be able to browse your Bluetooth source device's music library by category (requires iPhone iOS 5.0+ or Android OS 4.0+). The unit will also display song/artist information (no album art) from a connected Bluetooth audio device.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
SiriusXM & AM/FM Radio
SiriusXM-Ready: The Soundstream VRCP-65 is SiriusXM Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
Channel & Song/Artist Information: A Channel List displays a list of all available channels. Information such as Channel Name w/ Channel Art, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display.
Content Search & Presets: The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category, while the Direct Channel input feature allows you to directly enter a station number using the touchscreen or remote. You can also store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets for easy access.
Artist & Song Alert: While listening to SiriusXM Satellite Radio, user can mark Artists and/or Songs for which you wish to be alerted. The radio will display an Alert message when a matching artist or song is found on another channel. Then you can choose if you want to tune to that favorite or user can ignore the alert and stay on your current channel.
Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked with a pass-code.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Soundstream VRCP-65 is equipped with an AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The VRCP-65 lets you store up to 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations for a total of 30 tuner presets. These presets can be stored manually or automatically. The RDS feature allows the radio to display artist, song, and station name. The tuner also features selectable North America and European tuning.
Disc Compatibility: The Soundstream VRCP-65 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier. The VRCP-65 supports playback of DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports playback of a variety of music, movie and photo files recorded onto CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW and discs.
- Auto Reload: If the disc is not removed from the disc slot within 10 seconds of being ejected, it will be automatically reloaded to prevent it from being accidentally damaged.
- Parental Lock: The DVD system has a built-in Parental Lock feature to prevent unauthorized persons from viewing restricted disc content. By default, the rating system is unlocked. You can choose from 8 different levels of Parental Lock. Once setup, the parental lock is released only by entering the user 4-digit password.
USB Port: In addition to support for CarPlay, the unit's USB port (attached to rear-chassis via a 57" cable) can be used to connect a USB MSC (mass storage class) device for playback of a variety of audio, video and photo files. Compatible USB devices include USB thumbdrives and flashdrives (up to 64GB). You'll be able to control music playback and browse music files/folders on your USB device from the receiver's touchscreen. The receiver's touchscreen will also display song/artist information and album art from music files on your connected USB device. In addition, the unit's USB port (rated at 5V/1A) will charge a connected mobile device.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support the connection of Android OS devices. It also does not support connection of non-CarPlay Apple iOS devices.
File Compatibility: The Soundstream VRCP-65 supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW)||Flash (USB MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC|
|Video||MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4 (MP4)|
|Photo||JPEG, BMP, PNG (max resolution of 1200 x 1200)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||1,500 total files/folders|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA-tags, FLAC-tags, Album Art|
MOSFET Amplifier: The Soundstream VRCP-65 is equipped with a 25W (RMS) x 4-channel / 75W (Peak) x 4-channel MOSFET amplifier.
5Ch/4V RCA Outputs: The VRCP-65 features front, rear and mono-subwoofer 4-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer mono-RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: The VRCP-65 offers subwoofer controls for the mono-subwoofer output. The subwoofer's built-in low-pass crossover can be set to 50, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (full-range). You can also adjust the unit's subwoofer output level independently from the main volume level. In addition you can adjust the subwoofers time alignment from 0 to 18ms.
10-Band EQ w/ Presets: You can choose between seven presets - Jazz, Hip-Hop, Pop, Rock, R&B, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode allows you to manually adjust the receiver's 10-band EQ (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz).
Key Beep: The multimedia receiver provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (this can be turned On or Off).
AV Input: The Soundstream VRCP-65 is equipped with a rear-panel AV input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external audio/video source.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor, such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a DVD, USB, or an AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source; regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Note: CarPlay for iPhone and E-Link for Android cannot be displayed through the receiver's video output.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional back-up camera (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The camera input provides auto switching and park assist lines.
- Auto Switching: When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the receiver's screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (pink wire of the harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 second.
- Park Assist Lines: On-screen park assist lines help you back into a parking space, providing you with horizontal and vertical lines that represent the distance between your vehicle and the objects behind and to the side of it.
Touchscreen Monitor: The Soundstream VRCP65 is equipped with a 6.2" capacitive LCD touchscreen. The capacitive LCD touchscreen provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text; as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation.
- Wall Paper: You can choose between 5 preset wallpapers or select a customized image on your inserted USB thumbdrive as the wallpaper.
- Date & Time: The receiver allows you to set the Date (day/month/year) and Time (hour/minute/format). The Time is visible on each menu and source screen. The Date has to be accessed through the menu.
Variable Color Button Illumination: In addition to touchscreen control, the VRCP-65 has capacitive touch buttons along the left edge of the screen and push-button controls along the top of the screen. The button illumination can be adjusted to Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, or White.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim the receiver's display & front-panel illumination automatically when your vehicle's light switch is turned On, if you have the unit's orange "Illumination" wire connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit. You can also choose to dim or brighten the display manually.
Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the brown wire of the included harness must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged. Apple CarPlay works without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
IR Remote The VRCP-65 comes supplied with an IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the multimedia receiver; including Bluetooth hands-free and audio streaming functions, as well as CarPlay and Siri.
Steering Wheel Control Compatible: The VRCP-65 allows you to keep your vehicle's steering wheel controls (if equipped) through the use of an optional steering wheel control interface module (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
15 questions already asked