Russound XZone 70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier
Single-channel 300-watt amplifier with built-in streaming audio player and mic input
Our take on the Russound XZone 70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Stream high-res music and make announcements
The Russound XZone 70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier has a long name because it does so many things that make it easier to bring top-notch sound to your business.
It has a built-in streaming audio player that's ready and able to stream high-resolution music files, and a microphone input for making announcements. The music automatically ducks under your voice when you use the microphone, so you can be heard clearly. And it sends a clean, powerful 300 watts out to your speakers, so your satisfied customers can hear it all.
This device requires pre-sale and installation support. Please contact a Crutchfield commercial system designer at 1-800-315-2758 prior to purchase.
The rear microphone input has a handy gain knob, so you can set basic voice volume where you need it. A 3.5mm stereo input lets you plug in another music source. There's also a USB 2.0 port on the back of the audio player, in case you have some favorite tunes stored on a thumb drive or USB hard drive. A rear Ethernet port allows you to connect to your router and offers access to internal control and configuration options.
The XZone Streaming Mixer Amplifier can serve as a standalone unit for a small space, or you can use the balanced stereo pre-out connections to feed signals to a multi-zone commercial sound system.
Keep it licensed and legal
When you play music for paying customers, you need a public license. During business hours, you'll want to make sure you're playing licensed music from a source like SiriusXM Music for Business, Pandora for Business, or a similar service.
Get a free system design
- can be used as a standalone source, or integrated into a multi-zone system (up to 16 zones)
- integrated microphone input with ducking for making announcements
- phantom power switch for use with condenser mics
- independent front-mounted volume controls for adjusting microphone and system volume
- stream music from popular services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM Music for Business
- compatible with Amazon Alexa voice controllers
- compatible with Apple® AirPlay®
- high-res audio streaming up to 24-bit/192kHz
- supported formats: MP3, WAV, OGG Vorbis, FLAC. AAC, AAC+
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- browser-based configuration with your smartphone or tablet
- switchable output: 70/100-volt, or 4 ohms
- free MyRussound app offers control over settings and sources
- bass, treble, and loudness settings
- rack mounting hardware included
- requires pre-sale and installation support. Please contact a Crutchfield commercial system designer at 1-800-315-2758 prior to purchase
Inputs and Outputs:
- microphone input with Phoenix-style connector and gain knob
- balanced stereo pre-out with Phoenix-style connectors for connecting to additional amplifiers
- USB 2.0 port for thumb drive or external hard drive
- 3.5mm analog input
- Ethernet port for configuration, control, programming, and network connection
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17"W x 1-3/4"H x 9"D
- weight: 10.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Streaming mixer amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 4 Detachable phoenix connectors (pre-installed)
- 2 Brackets
- 8 Machine screws
- 4 Feet
- Installation Guide
- "Read This First" note
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Streaming Mixer Amplifier: The Russound XZone70V uses advanced amplifier circuitry to provide an amazing 300 watts of power in a single 1U chassis. With flexible options for using in both high and low impedance applications, it is perfect for use in light commercial applications like a coffee shop or yoga studio, or as the outdoor zone amplifier for homes or businesses.
- Powerful 300W Output: The Russound XZone70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier provides 300 watts of total output.
- 70v/100v/4Ω Operation: The XZone70V has three separate output options - 70-volt, 100-volt, and a low impedance setting of 4Ω (minimum). When connecting speakers, use the appropriate connections on the rear-panel for each application (see owner's manual).
- Dedicated High Pass Filter: As any audio professional knows, running low frequency audio through a 70v/100v amplifier can quickly saturate even the highest quality transformers, leading to distortion, poor performance, and even damaging the amplifier. The XZone70V incorporates a dedicated high pass filter to prevent these signals when it is in 70v/100v mode, yet allowing all of the deep bass sounds you want when it is set in 4Ω mode.
Note: The product's software is locked and is non-functional until it is properly installed and configured by a Russound Certified Installer. This product is not designed for installation by consumers and cannot be made operational without the assistance of a Russound Certified Installer.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The XZone70V also supports playback from connected USB storage devices. A built-in USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect an external flash drive or an externally-powered USB hard drive for use as additional music source. You also get browsing & search functions, playback controls, as well as song/artist information and album art through the MyRussound App on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Aux Input: A rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input lets you connect almost any audio device with a analog audio output or headphone output jack (a 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter may be required).
Mic Input: A microphone with an on/off switch is recommended for use with the XZone70V. Connect the microphone using the Phoenix connector on the rear-panel. The XZone70V must be turned on for the Mic input to work. The input works for any operational state of the XZone70V - playing music, paused, or muted.
- Automatic Ducking: The XZone70V will automatically reduce the volume of any source when it detects an audio signal on the microphone input.
- Microphone Gain:There are two different controls for adjusting the microphone volume level on the XZone70V. There is a front-panel Mic Volume control and a rear-panel Mic Gain control (see owner's manual on how to set the appropriate Mic level).
Phoenix Connector Output: Installer-friendly phoenix connectors are used for all outputs, allowing the audio professionals to lock in all connections for a long-lasting, trouble-free installation that is still easy to service and adjust throughout the life of the system. All connectors accept up to 14ga wire.
- Speaker Outputs: The XZone70V is equipped with phoenix-style speaker outputs for connecting 100V, 70V, or 4Ω speakers (must choose only one type). The phoenix-style speaker connecter features a dedicated terminal for each speaker type (100V/70V/4Ω), plus a common ground.
- Balanced Pre-Outs: The XZone70V is also equipped with balanced pre-out connections (Phoenix-style) for both left and right audio channels for connecting to additional amplifiers.
Note: Wiring a 70/100V high impedance amplifier like the XZone70V is much simpler than a traditional low impedance residential amplifier. All connections are made in parallel and a thinner gauge wire may be used for a high impedance system than a low impedance system. Typical wiring would use a 16 or 18 gauge wire in a single run from the amplifier to all possible speaker locations (now or to be added in the future). A small loop can be left at each potential speaker location for additional future speakers.
Mounting Options: The XZone70V can be mounted in four ways - 1U rack-mount, tabletop, under-cabinet, or flat-mounted to a wall - offering unique flexibility for practically any installation. For rack, wall, or under-cabinet mounting, use two included brackets. For table-top mounting, four non-marking rubber feet are included. Make sure to leave at least 1.75" of clearance above the Russound XZone70V for proper ventilation.
XStream Technology: The Russound XZone70V features built-in XStream technology, enabling popular streaming content from the cloud (Spotify/Pandora/SiriusXM/TuneIn/vTuner), local network (DLNA), and Apple AirPlay - all from a single component. The mixing streaming amplifier also offers a rear-panel auxiliary input and USB port for playing content from an external audio device or external USB flash drive.
Note: The XSource allows for expansion to up to 16 streaming rooms of audio in a single installation with any combination of other XStream Series streaming products from Russound (all sold separately).
Wired Network Connectivity: The Ethernet (RJ-45) connection is used for configuration and programming as well as for enabling control via the MyRussound App or the XTS Touchscreen (sold separately). The default network setting is DHCP-enabled, but the XZone70V can be configured with a static IP address using the Web Config software. The Ethernet connection is also used for the built-in streaming services, for playing any music stored on connected network drives using DLNA, as well as Apple AirPlay.
24-Bit/192kHz Hi-Res Audio: The Russound XZone70V includes native support for high resolution audio up to 24-bit/192kHz. Supported music files include MP3 (CBR/VBR), WAV (8/16-bit), OGG Vorbis, FLAC (8/16-bit), as well as AAC and AAC+ (up to 24-bit/192kHz).
Online Music Services: The Russound XZone70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier features the following built-in online music services - Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, SiriusXM Business, TuneIn, and vTuner (some services will require subscriptions and fees). With access to SiriusXM for Business, the XZone70V offers an easy, inexpensive option for providing licensed music to play for customers at any business. The XZone70V gives business owners an easy way to not have to worry about ASCAP, BMI or SESAC audits and potential fines for their business. You can access these online music services through the MyRussound App on your Apple iOS or Android device, your Alexa-enabled speaker (like the Amazon Echo), or the Russound XTS wall-mounted touchscreen pad (sold separately).
Notes: Account settings are individual settings for each XZone70V or other Russound XStream Series streaming product. If you have multiple XStream Series devices, each must be configured with the appropriate account login information. This is done so that each device can have its own independent user in a home so that users will not have to share accounts or favorites with anyone else in the home. The ideal installation is for each user in a home to have their own personal XStream Series streaming device so that each user always has access to their favorite music selections.
DLNA Compliant: The XZone70V is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play hi-res rate music content through the XZone70V, as well as use the MyRussound App on your Apple iOS or Android device to browse and play music files on your NAS drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files, as well as view song/artist info and album art from the MyRussound App. The XZone70V supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the XZone70V, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the XZone70V. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the XZone70V; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the XZone70V. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the MyRussound App.
Simple Setup w/ Web Configuration: The XZone70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier is designed to offer a simple-to-install and simple-to-configure streaming media solution to add high quality streaming audio content to almost any home or business. The XZone70V has a programming feature called WebConfig. WebConfig is an onboard hosted web page used for unlocking and configuring the XZone70V. Web Config can be accessed by entering the IP address or Hostname in any web browser on a smartphone, tablet, or laptop that is connected to the same network as the XZone70V. Using Web Config, the XZone70V can be completely configured, quickly and easily, from the palm of your hand.
- When the XZone70V is shipped from Russound, it will only operate in a "locked" state. In this state, no audio or control is available. In order to unlock the system, a valid Russound Certified Installer credentials must be entered using the convenient Web Config browser-based configuration utility. If you do not have a valid Russound Certified Installer credential, please contact Russound.
- When the XZone70V is first powered on, a message will appear on any compatible user interfaces and the MyRussound App indicating that the device must be unlocked. The message will contain the IP address of the controller. Using your mobile device or computer, browse to the controller's IP address (type http:// and then the IP address).
Note: In order to prevent unauthorized changes to configuration settings, a default password (see owner's manual) has been created that will be required to be entered prior to changing any configuration settings. Enter this password if prompted for a Configuration Password. Depending on the XZone70V's firmware version, this password may or may not be enabled by default. When using the latest firmware from Russound, the use of the configuration password can be enabled or disabled at your choice.
MyRussound App: The MyRussound App (for iOS 5.1.1+ and Android OS 2.3+) allows you to control the XZone70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier from your compatible smartphone or tablet. From the MyRussound App, you can select between streaming music sources (including Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, TuneIn, vTuner, & DLNA). From the app, you can also create, edit or delete any favorites from your smartphone or tablet. In addition, the App offers playback and search functions for your music sources, as well as song/artist information and album art. You even get Bass, Treble, & Loudness control through the app. The MyRussound App can be used to control up to 16 stereo audio zones in a single installation using any combination of XStream series audio products.
Optional Wall-Mounted Touchscreen: The XTS Touchscreen (543XTS, sold separately) is a stylish in-wall touchscreen that runs an embedded version of the popular MyRussound App. By placing the powerful MyRussound app in a permanent location on a wall, the XTS gives you full and easy control of XZone70V, eliminating the need to use your smartphone or tablet to simply change the volume or change your music selection.
Alexa Compatible: Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) are able to control key functions of the Russound XZone70V Streaming Mixer Amplifier through voice commands. Voice control functions include -
- Volume Control (Turn Volume Up, Down, Mute, or set a specific volume level directly)
- Select Source Inputs or Play a Favorite
- Playback Control (Play/Pause, Next/Previous Track, Repeat/Shuffle)
- Like/Dislike Song (for compatible streaming sources)
- Adjust audio settings (Bass, Treble, Loudness)
Note: You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap, or Echo Show - all sold separately) to operate the XZone70V via voice-command. The XZone70V and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network.
IP Controllable: Designed for audio professionals, the Russound XZone70V is fully IP controllable for integration into 3rd party control systems (including Control 4).
Factory Reset: For a full factory reset, erasing all configuration settings, and re-locking the XZone70V - Press and hold the Reset button on the rear of the XZone70V for 10 seconds. The Red Status LED will light and the XZone70V will reboot on its own.
Note: Performing a factory reset will restore the unit to its factory default settings and put XZone70V in Zone mode. The unit will require valid Russound Certified Installer credentials in order to be unlocked and configured again. The factory reset will also delete all personal information including service account settings and passwords.
Power Requirements: The Russound XZone70V includes a detachable 6' AC power cord that must be connected to an AC wall outlet, power conditioner, or surge protector. Voltage is auto-switching for 100V to 240V operation @ 50-60 Hz. As an advanced networking device, the XZone70V is designed to be left on at all times. This allows instant access to your favorite streaming audio sources at any time and is especially useful due to the fact that most installations involve locating the XZone70V in remote locations of the home where it would be difficult to know if it is powered on or off or to know its current status.
- It can take 1-2 minutes for the unit to initially power up for the first time. The amber LED on the front-panel will illuminate during the power-up process. When the green LED on the front-panel is illuminated, the unit is powered up.
- For extended periods of non-use (vacations, etc), Russound recommends disconnecting the power source to the XZone70V unit until it is needed again.
Firmware Updates: The XZone70V makes it easy to keep the Streaming Mixer Amplifier up-to-date by performing a simple over-the-network update from the settings menu of the MyRussound App on your Apple iOS or Android device. It can take 10-15 minutes for a firmware update to be completed. The front-panel status LED will illuminate a steady green when the update is completed.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.