About the OmniFi DMP1
The award-winning Omnifi system uses wireless technology to transfer music from your PC to your home and car audio systems. Now you can enjoy your entire music collection wherever you are!
The Omnifi DMP1 car digital media player package includes a compact hard drive housing (which installs in your vehicle), a removable 20-gigabyte hard drive cartridge, SimpleCenter software, and an easy-to-operate dash-mountable controller. The hard drive acts like a CD changer, holding all your digital music files for playback in your vehicle.
Load the SimpleCenter software into your computer and use it to organize your music library. Then, connect the DMP1's removable hard drive to your computer (via USB 2.0) to download the initial bulk of your library. (It's faster and easier to download the bulk of your library through a USB connection. Future updates of the library can all be performed wirelessly.)
Reinstall the hard drive into its permanent housing in your car, then surf through your music collection with the DMP1's dash-mount controller. (The DMP1 is compatible with MP3 and WMA files, and its software can be updated for future formats.) Track and artist info is displayed on the controller's LCD readout. The unit's RCA outputs connect to any in-dash receiver via auxiliary inputs (or an optional RF modulator).
Now, here's the fun part. Connect the optional D-Link DWL-121 WiFi receiver to the DMP1, and you can update the music collection stored in your vehicle without bringing the hard drive inside! (Your PC must have an 802.11b wireless router installed.) The included SimpleWare software lets you schedule wireless updates to OmniFi's hard drive at any time of the day or night. While you're sound asleep, your computer comes to life, grabs that new CD that you saved to your hard drive yesterday, and sends it to your vehicle parked outside (within 150 feet). Very cool.
The DMP1 is one part of the Omnifi system, which consists of three pieces (check the system diagram under More Photos):
- the Omnifi DMP1 car digital media player, a compact box which holds music files and connects to your car's audio system;
- the Omnifi DMS1 home digital streamer, which connects to your high-fidelity home stereo receiver. This unit allows you to listen to music files stored in your computer through your home audio system;
- the D-Link DWL-121 wireless receiver, which connects to the DMS1 in your home or the DMP1 in your vehicle, allowing you to receive wireless transmission of audio files from your computer.
You can also subscribe (for a small yearly fee) to SimpleCenter Service, giving you access to a host of audio and media services. Personalized content like sports scores, stock quotes, and local weather forecasts can be scheduled for daily delivery.
Note: If you have an existing wireless home computer network (802.11B compliant), your wireless transmissions will work with this equipment. If not, you'll need to purchase a compatible wireless router.
- removable 20-gig hard drive (with storage for approximately 300 hours of digital audio content)
- hard drive housing for permanent mounting in your vehicle (mounts vertically or horizontally)
- dash-mounted (DIN) controller (can be surface-mounted)
- line level (RCA) outputs (connects to your in-dash receiver via auxiliary inputs or an optional RF modulator)
- SimpleCenter software for organizing and scheduling music downloads
- upgradeable software can be updated to accept format changes
- MP3 and WMA compatible
- Favorites playlist holds 20 songs
- WiFi (802.11b) wireless router and D-Link DWL-121 WiFi receiver required for wireless transfer of audio files
- minimum system requirements:
- Pentium class (or faster) processor
- Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, or XP
- 128MB RAM
- 100 MB of available hard drive
- CD-ROM for installation
- powered USB port
- monitor configured for more than 256 colors
- stereo RCA outputs
- dimensions: 6-1/16"W x 2-1/4"H x 7-11/16"D (hard drive housing); 6-13/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 2-1/8"D (controller/display)
- warranty: 1 year
What's in the box:
- Car digital media player
- 20GB Hard drive cartridge
- Controller with attached 9.75' card and mounting brackets (face detaches)
- AC adapter with attached 6' cord
- 16.5' Main cable (has a male 13-pin connector on each end-each connector has 10-pins present)
- 6.5' USB cable (has a Type A USB connector on one end and Mini USB Ver 2.0 connector on the other end)
- Wiring adapter with a 2A fuse
- 6.5' RCA cable (has left and right RCA audio connectors on each end)
- 1 Allen wrench
- SimpleCenter CD-ROM (Version 2.0.1.016)
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- SimpleCenter Service Special Offer
OmniFi DMP1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the OmniFi DMP1
Omnifi System Overview: The DMP1 is one part of the Omnifi system, which consists of three pieces:
- The Omnifi DMP1 car digital media player, a compact box that holds music files and connects to your car's audio system;
- The Omnifi DMS1 home digital streamer, which connects to your high-fidelity home stereo receiver. This unit allows you to listen to music files stored in your computer through your home audio system;
- The D-Link DWL-121 wireless receiver, which connects to the DMS1 in your home or the DMP1 in your car, allowing you to receive wireless transmission of audio files from your computer.
Car Digital Media Player: The Omnifi DMP1 car digital media player package includes a compact hard drive housing (which installs in your vehicle), a removable 20-gigabyte hard drive cartridge, SimpleCenter software, and an easy-to-operate dash-mountable controller. The hard drive acts like a CD changer, holding all your digital music files for playback in your vehicle. The DMP1 can be connected to your computer using the supplied USB cable or an optional wireless receiver. You should connect the DMP1's removable hard drive to your computer (via USB 2.0) to download the initial bulk of your library. After the initial download, future updates of the library can all be performed wirelessly.
Note: Wireless operation requires an 802.11b wireless access point and optional D-Link DWL-121 wireless receiver. For the wireless update to be successful without bringing the hard drive inside, your vehicle must be parked within 150 feet of your PC.
Synchronization: You can set up the DMP1 to automatically synchronize media files with your PC using the optional wireless system. The DMP1 wirelessly synchronizes in four ways:
- Automatically synchronizes at 3 a.m. (default sync time)
- Automatically synchronizes at a time set by you using the SimpleCenter software
- Automatically synchronizes when your vehicle's ignition is turned off
- Manual synchronization
Shuffle Play: This feature lets you play the tracks in the current playlist category in random order, or you can play all of your stored tracks in random order.
Favorites Playlist: You can store up to 20 songs in your Favorites playlist. If the Favorites playlist already contains 20 tracks, adding a new track will delete the track that has been in the playlist for the longest period of time. To play the Favorites playlist, press the FAV button momentarily and the DMP1 will play the playlist starting with the first (most recently added) track.
Tag!: The Tag! feature allows you to earmark any song on the DMP1 car digital media player and then get information about the song in SimpleCenter at your PC. You can learn more about the artist, buy the CD, get album reviews, preview tracks, and more.
Overview: The Omnifi system is powered by an integrated, easy-to-use software application called SimpleCenter. SimpleCenter includes a CD ripping function (you can create MP3 and WMA files from your CDs) as well as a powerful Media Library, including a playlist editor, for organizing your digital media. For a small yearly fee, you can subscribe to SimpleCenter Services, which offers access to Internet radio, music downloads, and a host of other personalized audio and media services.
Media Library: The Media Library is used to manage and organize digital media that you store on your PC, or other PCs connected by a local area network. The Media Library in SimpleCenter automatically organizes your music files based on artist, album, and genre.
Watch Folders: You can direct SimpleCenter to watch various folders on your PC so that any new media files added to these folders will be automatically added to the Media Library, and will be available on all Omnifi devices.
Categories: When you add media to SimpleCenter, the software automatically organizes all of your digital audio files into the following categories:
All Media: all digital media files in your Media Library
Artists: your digital media files, sorted by artist
Artist/Album: your media files sorted first by artist, then by album
Albums: your media files sorted by album
Genres: your media files sorted by genre
Playlists: playlists that you create with SimpleCenter or import (M3U format)
URL List: You can add URLs for existing Internet media streams to the Media Library. When you add a URL to the Media Library, the URL appears in the All Media category. You can add the URL to a playlist. Media from the URL will be available for playback on an Omnifi digital media streamer if the stream is either MP3 or WMA format.
Playlists: You can organize media in your Media Library into playlists and playlist groups, which are customized collections of media that you create.
ID3 Data Editing: SimpleCenter allows you to edit ID3 data. You can change the following information: title, artist, album, genre, year of release, and track number.
Clean Media (ID3 data) Service: Many digital media files may be found to have no ID3 data or wrong ID3 data. SimpleCenter provides an ID3 data cleaning service that will correct ID3 data in your digital media files with a single button click.
CD Converting: The CD converting (ripping) feature is used to create digital music files (both MP3 and WMA) from your audio CD collection.
System Requirements: To use the SimpleCenter software, your computer must meet the following requirements:
- Computer with Pentium II 400Mhz or faster processor
- Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP
- Minimum 128MB RAM (256 MB recommended)
- Minimum 75 MB of available hard drive space
- CD-ROM drive for installation
- USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 (2.0 recommended)
- Computer monitor configured for more than 256 colors
Controller: The controller comes with mounting brackets that are designed to be attached to factory ISO-DIN brackets. Since the slots on the mounting brackets do not line up with the holes on factory ISO-DIN brackets, you will have to drill new holes in the ISO-DIN brackets. If you do not use the mounting brackets, the controller can be mounted to any flat surface using optional mounting screws.
Car Digital Media Player: For optimal performance, the car digital media player should be mounted vertically to a rigid surface with the hard drive cartridge opening facing up. The car digital media player can also be mounted horizontally on any flat surface.
DMP1 Rear Panel:
USB: 2 USB ports
Main Cable: 13-pin female jack that connects to the wiring adapter
Wiring Adapter Front Panel:
Controller: 4-pin female jack that connects to the controller
RCA: left and right RCA audio jacks
Wiring Adapter Back Panel:
Main Cable: 13-pin female jack that connects to the DMP1
Wiring: 11" power, constant, ground, and dimmer leads
- To Wiring Adapter: 4-pin male connector that plugs into the wiring adapter
- DMP1 Car Digital Media Player: W=6.006", H=2.198", D=7.663"
- Wiring Adapter: W=2.477", H=1.064", D=1.969" (4.629" with cables attached)
- Controller: W=6.797", H=1.796", D=2.115" (includes mounting brackets)