About the Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN
Ready for your smartphone or MFD
Ready for your smartphone or MFD
Rockford Fosgate's PMX-5CAN receiver combines marine-rated design with high-tech features that will make your boat a rockin' place to be – in the good way. This digital media receiver (there's no CD player) gives you lots of ways to stay entertained and informed when you're on the water. And with built-in CANbus functionality, you can connect to Raymarine Multi-Function Display (MFD) systems with the help of Rockford Fosgate's PMX-CAN adapter. This allows you to choose all your entertainment and control the audio through your vessel's MFD.
Works with Apple and Android
The PMX-5CAN packs plenty of features into a compact package that's ideal for your boat. You can use the built-in Bluetooth to stream downloaded tracks or your favorite Pandora playlists on your Apple and Android smartphone. The Punch EQ gives you everything you need to fine-tune your sound the way you like it. If you have a larger vessel, you'll appreciate the 2-zone control, especially when you're at the helm listening to the game and your crew is jammin' on the bow.
Like satellite radio? You'll love this receiver
The global AM/FM/WB tuner hauls in plenty of stations when you're within range, plus this receiver is SiriusXM-ready – with a subscription and an add-on tuner, you can enjoy satellite radio's amazing variety of music, news, and sports when you're up to 100 miles offshore. With the 2.7" color display, you'll know who's playing and from which source.
Zoned for entertainment
Rockford Fosgate designed this receiver to be the centerpiece of your boat's entertainment system. If you want to upgrade your sound with new speakers, amps, and a subwoofer, you can take advantage of the receiver's 6-channel Zone 1 preamp outputs (plus 2-channel outputs for Zone 2) to build a truly impressive system. Add a wired remote to control the music from wherever you're sitting.
Made for marine use
Like all Rockford Fosgate marine gear, the PMX-5CAN is designed to handle the extremes of life on the water. It features a rugged frame, a conformal coating that protects the internal circuitry, and an IPX6-rated front panel that resists moisture, dust, and punishing UV rays.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver with AM/FM/WB tuner (does not play CDs)
- CANbus functionality works with Raymarine MFDs
- works with Apple and Android smartphones
- built-in Bluetooth for music streaming (will not make calls)
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- DIN chassis with 1.75-DIN front panel
- 2.7" color display
- plays MP3/WMA/WAV files
- streams Pandora Internet Radio
- 7-band graphic equalizer and Punch EQ
- 2-zone audio
- front panel sub control
- inputs: rear AUX input, rear USB input (USB port is not compatible with Android)
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub) for Zone 1, plus 2-channel preouts for Zone 2
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- compatible with optional Rockford Fosgate wired remotes
Other Features and Specs:
- IPX-6 front panel for excellent water and UV resistance
- backlit LED buttons
- chassis width: 7.015"
- chassis height: 1.995"
- nose width: 8.005"
- nose height: 3.495"
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PMX-5CAN
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver
- Mounting plate
- Wiring harness
- 4 Machine screws
- Self-tapping screw
- Installation/Operation booklet
Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Port Power||1A|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|Nano||6Gen and newer|
|Touch||3Gen and newer|
|iPhone||3GS and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||25 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine Certified: Rockford Fosgate's PMX series of source units are fully tested against UV radiation degradation as well as tested to IPX water intrusion standards. They are also fully tested for ever changing environmental conditions such as temperature extremes, as well as vibration testing to make sure they can take a bump and keep performing. The PMX-5CAN is protected against Dust, UV, Temperature, Water, Corrosion & Vibration.
- Dust: The unit's display and motor structure are sealed up tight so they look as clear as possible and perform day in and day out no matter how many times you hit the trails.
- UV Inhibitor Materials: Centrex and ASA plastic materials are used for UV radiation resistance and components are tested in accordance with ASTM D4329 testing and certification procedures.
- Thermal Shock Tested: Tested for extreme temperature operation as well as severe fluctuations in ambient temperature. Components are taken to both low and high temperature extremes and then tested to ensure operational capabilities.
- Water Tested: IPX5 and IPX6 Ratings allow for the components to be directly sprayed with water without water incursion.
- Corrosion Protection: Two part epoxy coated PCB boards prevent corrosion of critical components due to exposure in moisture rich environments.
- Vibration: Subjected to full vibration and shock testing to ensure that it will take abuse and keep performing to our stringent standards.
Applications: The PMX-5CAN digital media receiver is designed for marine and motorsports systems.
Optically Bonded LCD: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN features a 2.7" TFT color LCD for optimum viewing, even in full sun, that is optically wet bonded to prevent any dust or moisture penetration. There are two brightness settings for the LCD screen.
Water Resistant Control Knob: The PMX-5CAN uses a water resistant rotary encoder knob, along with push-button controls that feature white LED illumination.
Voltage Gauge & Warning: You can check the voltage of your system through the PMX-5CAN's menu. The unit also provides a Low Voltage Warning Alert.
EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory): The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN features an EEPROM memory system which retains settings even when power is removed.
Optional NMEA2K Translator: Rockford Fosgate's PMX-CAN interface (575PMXCAN, sold separately) allows interconnection between the PMX-5CAN marine source unit and a Multi-Function Display (MFD) system using the NMEA2K entertainment standard. The PMX-CAN translates commands from the NMEA2K compatible MFD system into something the PMX-5CAN understands allowing you to control the unit remotely while getting direct informational feedback regarding your audio selection and source.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN offers built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0+EDR) for wireless music playback from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows phone, Blackberry, and more. You are able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth device to the PMX-5CAN marine receiver. You can control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track and Repeat/Shuffle for stored music and music apps on your device. When using a Bluetooth AVRCP 1.4 compatible device like the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or an Android smartphone (OS 4.0+), you can even browse your stored music by category (Playlist/Artist/Song/Genre). The PMX-5CAN will also display your device's song/artist information with album art.
Note: This unit does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Optional Wired Remotes: The PMX-5CAN features a wired remote input which is compatible with Rockford Fosgate's PMX-1R & PMX-0R wired remote controllers (both sold separately). In most cases you will need one of Rockford Fosgate's extension cables (sold separately) to connect a wired remote controller. Up to 3 remotes can be added to one marine receiver using PMXYC Y-cable (sold separately).
Steering Wheel Control Input: For vehicles with factory steering wheel controls, use the PAC SWI-RC or the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 SWC interface module (both sold separately) to retain factory steering wheel controls when you replace your factory radio with the Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN.
USB Port: The Rockford Fosgate features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB mass storage class device, like a USB thumbdrive or flashdrive. The unit supports playback of MP3 music files loaded onto a USB (2.0) MSC device (maximum capacity: 32 GB, 255 folders, 999 songs). You are able to browse your music by folders, as well as control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Android.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN's USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). The PMX-5CAN supports audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Music Control: The PMX-5CAN lets you navigate your Apple device's stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Podcast, Composer, or Audiobook. The head unit also offers basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ will remain unlocked while connected, so you can access music apps on your device. Older Apple device's clickwheels & touchscreens will lock when connected to the PMX-5CAN.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. It will also display album art.
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 7/23/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Aux Input: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN is fitted with a rear-panel stereo RCA AUX input to connect an external audio source. You can give the Aux input a custom name.
AM/FM Tuner: The PMX-5CAN features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations; these presets can be stored manually or automatically. You can set the tuner to Local or Distance tuning. The Local option tunes to nearby radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. In areas where reception is poor, switching to Distance tuning enables the unit to tune in to more distant stations. You can choose between US or European tuning.
Weather Band: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN is also equipped with a built-in weather band tuner. Select from weather band frequencies between 162.40 to 162.55.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (either from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN using your USB-connected or Bluetooth-paired Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the PMX-5CAN via the appropriate the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone or via Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the marine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The PMX-5CAN provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically.
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Direct tuning of a SiriusXM station
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The PMX-5CAN is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- Full Bandwidth Power: 25 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the marine receiver are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch Preouts: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN is equipped with three pair of 4-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. Turn the unit's internal amplifier off in the menu, if using external amplifiers for front, rear, and sub channels.
Equalizer: The PMX-5CAN is equipped with a variety of EQ presets, and 7-Band EQ, and Rockford Fosgate's Punch EQ.
- Presets: Select between seven EQ presets - FLAT, ROCK, CLASSIC, ACOUSTIC, DANCE, ELECTRONIC, or HIP-HOP.
- 7-Band EQ: Use the built-in 7-band EQ to custom tailor the sound of your music to your liking.
- Punch EQ: Punch EQ is an onboard equalizer with up to +18dB at 45Hz and/or up to +12dB boost at 12.5kHz.
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The PMX-5CAN provides a high-pass crossover for the front & rear channels which can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Full-Range. The unit also provides a low-pass crossover for the subwoofer output that can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Full-Range.
Sub Control: You can independently adjust the volume level of the sub output from 0 to 40.
Source Gain: You can adjust the gain of each source so they all play at the same volume level. Select between -3dB, -2dB, -1dB, 0dB, +1dB, +2dB, or +3dB for each source.
Dual Zone Output: With the unit's Dual Zone RCA outputs, it is possible to split your boat into two discrete audio zones to enjoy different audio sources of entertainment. You will need an external amplifier or powered speakers in the second zone. Volume levels can be individually controlled for each zone from the PMX-5CAN.
Key Beep: A beep tone will sound with any press of a button on the receiver. This can be turned on or off.
Custom Mount: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Four machine screws (supplied) fasten the unit against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket and metal plate against the bulkhead. The included trim-ring hides the mounting screws for a neat installation.
Note: The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard European or ISO-DIN automotive installation.
Dimensions: The receiver has the following dimensions:
- Width: 7.015"
- Height: 1.995"
- Depth: 7.675"
- Width: 8.005"
- Height: 3.505"
- Depth: 1.5"
- Trim Ring:
- Width: 7.995"
- Height: 3.495"
- Depth: 0.655"
Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has two mounting holes across the top of the face-plate, and two holes on the bottom of the faceplate for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The included trim-ring covers the screws holes for a neat installation. The screw hole spacing is as follows.
- Width (Top & Bottom): 7.5"
- Height (Between Top and Bottom Row): 2.8125"
- Screw Mounting Depth: 0.75"
5 questions already asked