About the Onkyo DS-A1
Enjoy the convenience of your iPod with the powerfully rich sound of Onkyo's audio/video components. Simply place your iPod in the DS-A1 dock connected to any compatible Onkyo receiver, and listen to your library of iPod tunes with the clarity and dynamics that Onkyo gear is famous for. You can even control the iPod using your Onkyo remote. And the dock doubles as a battery charger, so you can juice up your iPod while you're listening to it.
The DS-A1 features an S-video output that lets you view your iPod's photos and videos on a TV. The DS-A1 is compatible with receivers, home theater systems, and audio systems that have Onkyo's proprietary RI ("Remote Interactive") connection.
- for all docking iPods, including video iPods, iPod photos, iPod nanos, and iPod minis
- RI input allows iPod control with Onkyo remotes
- analog audio output
- S-video output
- audio, S-video, and RI cables included
- 4-7/16" diameter; 2-1/4"H
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DSA1
What's in the box:
- DS-A1 Remote Interactive (RI) Dock for iPod
- Thin iPod adapter disc
- Thick iPod adapter disc
- iPod mini adapter
- 5-3/4' RI cable (with 3.5mm mono miniplugs on each end)
- 5-3/4' RCA patch cable (with stereo male RCA plugs on each end)
- 5-3/4' S-Video cable
- AC adapter with attached 74" DC output cord (DC output: 12.0V/1.0A)
- Instruction Manual
- Onkyo Remote Controller Compatibility sheet
- Product Registration/Warranty sheet
Onkyo DS-A1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Onkyo DS-A1
Product Overview: The DS-A1 Remote Interactive (RI) Dock for iPod provides an interface between an iPod digital media player and Onkyo audio-video components and systems. Once an iPod is docked in the DS-A1, you can control basic functions such as volume control, play, stop, and skip via the Onkyo system's RI-compatible wireless remote control. When an iPod is docked, its battery is charged by the dock. The dock allows you to view digital photos (from a connected iPod Photo or 5th Generation iPod) and video (from a 5th Generation iPod) on an Onkyo home theater system.
Compatibility: The DS-A1 is compatible with the following units:
|iPod Models||Onkyo Models|
| iPod Photo |
(software 1.1 or later)
| iPod mini |
(software 1.2 or later)
| iPod nano |
(requires adapter kit available through www.onkyousa.com)
| 5th Generation iPod |
(iPod with video)
| 4th Generation iPod with Click Wheel |
(software 3.0.2 or later)
| 3rd Generation iPod with Touch Wheel
and Buttons |
(software 2.2 or later)
Note: Adapters are provided for each size of iPod, except the iPod nano, to provide a good fit into the dock. An adapter kit for the iPod nano is available through the Onkyo website (www.onkyousa.com).
Remote Interactive (RI): Remote Interactive (RI) is an exclusive Onkyo control system that allows RI-compatible Onkyo audio components to be controlled with a single remote controller. In addition, all components can be turned on or off together, and the amplifier will automatically turn on and select the appropriate input source when playback is started on a source component.
Input Source: You can control your iPod using the "Tape", "MD", "CDR", or "HDD" input source and remote control mode. You must first switch the RI mode switch on the bottom of the dock to the input source/remote control mode you plan to use.
Functions: You can use your amp's remote controller to control the basic functions of your iPod, such as Play, Pause, Fast Forward, Fast Rewind, Next Song, Previous Song, etc. Depending upon the model of your amp and generation of iPod, you may also be able to use some of the following advanced functions:
- System On/Off: When you turn your amp on or off, the RI dock and your iPod will turn on or off accordingly.
- Auto Power On: If you press Play on the remote control while the amp is in Standby, your amp will automatically turn on and select your iPod as the input source. Then, the iPod will begin playback.
- iPod Alarm Clock: You can use your iPod's Alarm Clock function to automatically turn on your iPod and amp at a specified time. The amp's input source will automatically be set to the input to which your iPod is connected.
- Direct Change: If you start iPod playback using the remote control while listening to another input source, your amp will automatically select the iPod as the input source.
- Timer Play: You can use your amp's Timer function to turn on your amp and iPod and start playback at a specified time. (requires external timer)
- Linked Dimmer Operation: When you use your amp's Dimmer function to change its display brightness, the brightness of the RI dock's power indicator will change as well.
- Advanced Playback Functions: Shuffle, Repeat, Backlight, Playlist/Album mode, Next/Previous Playlist, Next/Previous Album
Note on Functions: In most cases, to use these functions, your iPod must be in the RI dock, and the RI dock must be connected to your amp with both an RI cable and an audio cable.
iPod Photo and Video Playback: When the DS-A1 is used with an iPod photo or 5th Generation iPod, you can enjoy iPod photos and slideshows with music through your Onkyo audio-video system. Also, the DS-A1 can pass full motion video from 5th Generation iPods. For photo and/or video playback, you must connect the dock's S-Video jack to an S-Video input on your Onkyo receiver or TV. Note: The DS-A1 will only send photos and video to a TV or monitor--it will not send text display information such as artist, title, or playlists.
Connectors: The DS-A1 Remote Interactive Dock has the following connections:
- Top of Unit: iPod dock connector
- Back of Unit:
- RI: 3.5mm (1/8") mini jack for supplied RI cable (mono mini)
- S-Video Out: S-Video jack for use with iPod Photo and 5th Generation iPods only
- Audio Out: Left and right RCA jacks for supplied RCA audio patch cable
- DC In (12V/1A): Round DC power connector for supplied AC adapter