About the Onkyo DS-A4
The DS-A4 dock gives you a convenient way to connect your iPod or iPhone to Onkyo components and systems, as well as other brands of audio/video gear. An included audio/video cable connects the dock to your receiver to send music, photos and videos from your player. The DS-A4 can also generate an on-screen menu for browsing through your iPod's contents on your TV.
The DS-A4 connects to the proprietary RI ("Remote Interactive") port found on most current Onkyo receiver models, allowing you to control your player using your Onkyo remote. The dock also comes with its own remote for use with other types of audio/video gear.
- for docking iPods, including 160GB iPod classic®, 4th generation iPod touchreg; and 6th generation iPod nanoreg;
- compatible with iPhone®, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4
- RI input allows iPod control with Onkyo remotes
- analog stereo RCA (cable included)
- component video (cable included)
- RI cable included
- remote control
- automatically charges iPod while docked
- AC adapter
- 4-3/8"W x 2-1/4"H x 5-9/16"D
- 10.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DSA4
What's in the box:
- DS-A4 Remote Interactive (RI) Dock for iPod/iPhone
- AC power adapter (with attached 6.5' DC cor)
- RC-729E remote control (with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery)
- 6.5' RI cable (with 3.5mm mono miniplug on each end)
- 6.5' A/V patch cable (with stereo male RCA and composite video plugs on each end)
- 6.5' Component video cable (with component video RCA connectors on one end and 3.5mm video connector on other end)
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Fre/Spa)
- Product Registration/Limited Warranty Card
Onkyo DS-A4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Onkyo DS-A4
Overview: The Onkyo DS-A4 Remote Interactive (RI) Dock for iPod/iPhone provides an interface between an Apple iPod or iPhone and Onkyo audio/video components and systems which feature an RI remote connector. Once an iPod/iPhone is docked in the DS-A4, you can control basic functions, such as volume control, play, stop, and skip via the Onkyo system's RI-compatible wireless remote control. The dock also allows you to view digital photos, video, and the on-screen display so you can navigate the iPod/iPhone's menu. In addition, the dock charges the iPod/iPhone's battery.
System Compatibility: Nearly all Onkyo receivers, home theater systems, and audio systems are compatible with the DS-A4 through their RI (Remote Interactive) port. Because the DS-A4 includes a dedicated remote control and has standard RCA audio/video outputs, it is actually compatible with any A/V system with those inputs.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The DS-A4 is designed for use with select iPod/iPhone models having a Dock Connector. The DS-A4 features an adaptor wheel that turns to adjust for the depth of your particular iPod. This add-on dock is "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
- *The iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), and iPhone 5/5C/5S will require the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter or cable (sold separately) in order to make connection with the integrated dock.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
iPod Audio Playback: The DS-A4 supports audio playback of music, podcasts, and audiobooks stored on your iPod/iPhone through your connected Onkyo AV receiver.
iPod Photo and Video Playback: By connecting a compatible iPod/iPhone model to the DS-A4, you can view movies, music videos, TV shows, and video podcasts on a connected television. Component or composite video connectivity ensures a stable, high-quality video signal output.
- Component Video Output (480p/576p): The DS-A4 supports 480p and 576p from its component video output when using the iPod classic (3rd/4th/5th gen), iPod nano (3rd/4th/5th gen), iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th gen), and iPhone (3GS/4/4S).
- Component Video Output (480i/576i): The DS-A4 supports 480i and 576i output from the iPod touch (1st gen) and iPhone (2G/3G), using the DS-A4's component video output.
- Composite Video Output (480i): The DS-A4 supports 480i out via its composite video output from the iPod video (5th gen).
Note: A component video and composite AV cable is supplied. The album cover art which displays on the iPod/iPhone screen cannot be made to display on the TV.
On Screen Display (OSD): The Onkyo DS-A4 features an on-screen display (OSD) mode that enables you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music (playlist/artist/album/song/genre/composer) and video (movie/music video/TV show/Video Podcast/Rental) by category on your connected television for easy navigation and selection. In OSD mode, you can browse your iPod/iPhone using the keys on the dedicated remote controller. You can choose from four page modes (Small, Medium, Large and Page) that let you move through your iPod/iPhone's music library in progressively larger steps. The OSD also displays information about the track being played such as playback status, shuffle mode, playback time and total time.
IR Wireless Remote Control: The Onkyo DS-A4 comes with its own wireless IR remote controller to control all basic playback functions of the unit and your iPod/iPhone. With its simple layout and easy operability, this palm-fitting remote controller is particularly handy for navigating and selecting your music through the unit's OSD. The remote controller also brings one-touch control for random playback of songs or albums; a resume function that will return to the track being played when the iPod is stopped or removed from the Dock; and a repeat function for one track or all. The remote controller can also be used to set its own ID (an option when you have multiple remote controllers as part of your system) or to select NTSC or PAL for video playback.
Remote Interactive (RI): Remote Interactive (RI) is an exclusive Onkyo control system that allows RI-compatible Onkyo audio components to be controlled with a single remote controller. In addition, all components can be turned on or off together, and the amplifier will automatically turn on and select the appropriate input source when playback is started on a source component. You can control your iPod/iPhone using the Tape or HDD/Dock input source and remote control mode. You must first switch the RI mode switch on the back of the dock to the input source/remote control mode you plan to use. Onkyo's RI system allows you to use your amp's remote controller to control the basic functions of your iPod/iPhone, such as Play, Pause, Fast Forward, Fast Rewind, Next Song, Previous Song, etc. Depending upon the model of your amp and generation of iPod/iPhone, you may also be able to use some of the following advanced functions through Onkyo's RI system:
- System On/Off: When you turn your amp on or off, the RI dock and your iPod/iPhone will turn on or off accordingly.
- Auto Power On: If you press Play on the remote control while the amp is in Standby, your amp will automatically turn on and select your iPod as the input source, then, the iPod/iPhone will begin playback.
- iPod Alarm Clock: Use your iPod/iPhone's Alarm Clock function to automatically turn on your iPod/iPhone and amp at a specified time, the amp's input source will automatically be set to the input to which your iPod is connected.
- Direct Change: If you start iPod/iPhone playback using the remote control while listening to another input source, your amp will automatically select the iPod/iPhone as the input source.
- Timer Play: You can use your amp's Timer function to turn on your amp and iPod/iPhone and start playback at a specified time.
- Advanced Playback Functions: Shuffle, Repeat, Backlight, Playlist/Album mode, Next/Previous Playlist, Next/Previous Album.
Note: To use these functions, your iPod/iPhone must be in the RI dock, and the RI dock must be connected to your amp with both an RI cable and an audio cable. An RI (3.5mm) cable is supplied.
Charging: The Onkyo DS-A4 will charge your iPod/iPhone's battery while docked.
Screen Saver: You can set the time at which the screen saver is activated to any on of the following four options: 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or Off. When the screen saver activates, the onscreen display on your TV disappears. Press any button on the remote controller to cancel the screen savers and resume the onscreen display.
The Onkyo DS-A4 replaces these items
- for use with Onkyo components and other brands of A/V gear
- for docking iPods, including 160GB iPod classic, 5th generation iPod nano, and 3rd generation iPod touch
- control via included remote or compatible Onkyo remote