About the Onkyo PR-RZ5100
Prepare to be transported
Prepare to be transported
Onkyo's PR-RZ5100 preamp/processor combines high-end audio and video processing with cutting-edge entertainment features for a gripping home theater experience. Set up your home theater exactly how you want it — you can even expand into different rooms if you like.
For full-on home theater immersion, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoding delivers incredibly detailed movie sound. THX® Ultra2™ Plus certification means you're sure to get faithful, distortion-free reproduction of movie soundtracks. You'll enjoy stunning 4K picture quality with compatible Ultra HD TVs and Blu-ray players, too.
Easy wireless music streaming
Built-in Wi-Fi lets you access the music you have stored on your networked computer so you can easily play tracks from your personal library through the 'RZ5100. You can also take advantage of free internet radio and subscription-based music services like Spotify® and Pandora®.
Use the Onkyo Remote app to control streaming from your phone or tablet. Bluetooth lets you stream music from a compatible device directly to the receiver, and Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream music from a compatible Apple device or from any computer with iTunes®.
Geared toward great sound
Outstanding audio performance is an integral part of the 'RZ5100's design. Premium 32-bit/384kHz digital-to-analog converters for the front left and right channels, plus two multichannel 32-bit/768 kHz DACs for the surround channels give you crystal-clear reproduction of music and TV and movie soundtracks. There's even a discrete 24-bit/192kHz DAC for Zones 2 and 3.
This preamp/processor also decodes high-resolution audio formats. And Onkyo's Music Optimizer improves the sound from compressed audio files and Bluetooth streams, so you get clear, detailed sound no matter how you listen.
Music and video in multiple rooms
The 'RZ5100 has 11-channel preamp outputs —both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA— allowing for flexible speaker configurations. You can set up a 7.1-channel surround sound system or a 5.1.2-channel Atmos system in your home theater, and connect the remaining four channels to an additional amplifier to power speakers in two additional zones.
Whole House Mode lets you play the same music in all zones, or you can listen to something different in each room. A Zone 2 HDMI output lets you watch video from two different sources in your living room and a second room. Use the Onkyo Remote app to control playback in different zones from anywhere in the house.
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound; compatible with 7-, 9-, or 11-channel setups
- DTS:X for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- video upscaling up to 4K via HDMI
- THX® Ultra2™ Plus certified for theater reference sound
- AccuEQ automatic speaker calibration optimizes your system's sound for your room (microphone included)
- AccuReflex technology aligns phase of up-firing "height" speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi® for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL (subscription required for some services)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps (available via future firmware update)
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 11.2 MHz)
- three-room/three-source output
- line-level outputs for Zones 2 and 3
- Zone 2 HDMI output for watching video content from different sources in two rooms simultaneously
- 11.2-channel balanced XLR outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- 11.2-channel unbalanced RCA outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- HDMI audio/video switching: 8 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 2 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology on all inputs and outputs ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- 2 composite video inputs
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical and 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs
- MM phono input for connecting a turntable
- rear-panel USB port for audio playback from USB storage devices
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- RS-232, IR and 12-volt trigger connections for use with external controllers
- 1/4" headphone output
- detachable power cord
Audio Performance Features:
- high-quality 32-bit/384kHz DACs for front left and right channels
- two multichannel 32-bit/768 kHz DACs for surround channels
- discrete 24-bit/192kHz DAC for Zones 2 and 3
- VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) for greater resolution and clarity
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Onkyo Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- built-in AM/FM tuner with 40 presets
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 7-15/16"H x 19-1/16"D
- weight: 30 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PR-RZ5100
What's in the box:
- Preamp/Surround Processor
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-926R)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Setup microphone
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Basic Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty/Product Registration card
- "Google Cast support" sheet
- "Internet Radio support" sheet
- "FireConnect support" sheet
- Onkyo brochure
More details on the Onkyo PR-RZ5100
RZ Series Quality: The RZ Series is the culmination of 70 years of experience in high-end audio. Future-focused, but with the analog tradition at heart. Every design element, every hand-selected part contributes to flagship performance. Full-spectrum reproduction, transparent resolution, lightning dynamics, plus a sense of rhythm and soul delivers performance that overwhelms and fills you with emotion.
AV Surround Preamplifier: Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV Surround Preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits in the amplifier and sensitive low-level circuits in the preamp. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV preamplifiers don't exist in the preamp, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general.
Configurable 11.2ch Preamp Outputs: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 has both 11.2ch unbalanced RCA pre-outs and balanced 11.2-channel XLR pre-outs to connect one or more multichannel and stereo power amplifiers. The dual sub pre-outs are discrete. You can configure up to a 11.2ch or 7.2.4ch surround sound in your main room. You can also configure the preamplifier to Bi-amp your front speakers with your external power amplifier(s); in this case up to 9.2ch or 7.2.2ch can be played in the main room.
Discrete 32-Bit & 24-Bit DACs: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 utilizes a 384kHz/32-bit AK4490 stereo DAC for its Front L/R channels and two 768kHz/32-bit AK4458 multichannel DACs for its surround channels. It also uses discrete 192kHz/24-bit AK4388 stereo DACs for Zone 2 and Zone 3.
Dual 32-Bit DSP: At the heart of the PR-RZ5100 are dual Analog Devices SHARC processors capable of up to six billion operations per second. Digital-to-analog audio conversion comes courtesy of discrete high performance AKM 32-bit DACs. From source device to output, audio and video signals are kept clean and clear for optimal performance.
Advanced Circuitry: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV preamplifier incorporates a variety of advanced circuitry to eliminate jitter & distortion for cleaner, clearer sound reproduction.
- Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (on All Channels): Onkyo developed Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC) to reassemble the signal in its original form following processing. Unlike conventional filters, VLSC removes pulse noise generated in D/A conversion, allowing the sound wave to be reproduced with extremely high fidelity for a smooth analog signal. The signal's data is converted between sampling points and joined with analog vectors in real time to produce a smooth output wave form. The result is a virtually noiseless, smooth, analog signal that brings out even the most subtle of nuances in music sources.
- PLL Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology: PLL (Phase Locked Loop) jitter-cleaning circuit technology reduces jitter by comparing the input and output phases of the digital signal and creating an accurate clock waveform. This enhances the precision of digital signal processing and noticeably improves audio quality. Jitter-cleaning technology works both for digital signals input via HDMI and for digital signals converted from analog signals inside the preamplifier itself.
- Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Linear Optimum Gain Volume Control adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
High-Quality Construction: The Onkyo AV preamplifier employs a separate analog amp and digital processing block construction to reduce interference. Copper bus bars and rigid insulators are used to further reduce signal interference. An aluminum front-panel & volume control aid in the preamplifier's anti-resonance. The Onkyo AV preamplifier also employs a massive toroidal transformer with separate EI transformers for audio/video processing.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV preamplifier supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2ch, 2.8 MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV preamplifier goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, & DTS Neural:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With
Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead,
to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and
depth. The PR-RZ5100 has the processing power to run a more enveloping
Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers
(sold separately). Choose from a 5.2.2ch, 5.2.4ch, 7.2.2ch, or 7.2.4ch Dolby
- A 5.2.2 configuration is based on a traditional 5.2 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 5.2.4 configuration is based on a traditional 5.2 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 7.2.2 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.2 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 7.2.4 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.2 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
THX Certified Ultra: THX Certified Ultra guarantees the same high-volume sound you experience in a multiplex theater. The PR-RZ5100 processor has passed more than 2,000 laboratory tests to ensure every aspect of audio performance meets rigorous standards for theater-reference sound. THX Ultra is recommended for screen-to-seat viewing distances greater than 12 feet and for room volumes of 3000 cubic feet or greater. Combined with a THX-certified amplifier (sold separately), the PR-RZ5100's THX Ultra certification assures distortion-free Theater Reference Volume in large home theaters.
- Advanced Features:
- RE-EQ: Many movie soundtracks are mixed in studios for playback in large cinema auditoriums with an array of speakers. When played on home systems, they may appear abrasive and edgy. Re-EQ establishes a more accurate tonal balance when enjoying movies in your home.
- Timbre Matching: Your ears hear different tonal qualities in sounds coming from different directions. Timbre Matching restores the frequency balance between your front and surround speakers ensuring seamless and smooth panning between the front to back of the room.
- Boundary Gain Compensation (BGC): Sitting near a wall may result in distorted bass response. BGC corrects the way low frequency sound is perceived when seated near a wall. This results in a more accurate bass response.
- THX Loudness Plus: THX Loudness Plus is a volume
control technology that automatically adjusts the front-to-back speaker
level relationship as you turn the volume down. With THX Loudness Plus home theater audiences can now experience surround sound at any volume level.
- ASA (Advanced Speaker Array): ASA is a technology patented by THX to provide a broad surround sound experience by adjusting the side and back surround speaker sounds respectively. When installing the surround back speakers, first select the distance between the two surround back speakers in the THX Audio settings. This setting optimizes the surround sound environment.
- Listening Modes:
- THX Cinema: The THX Cinema mode provides a high-quality surround sound experience by expanding movie sources recorded in 5.1ch for 7.1ch playback. In this mode, the THX ASA processing technology gives smooth transition between side and back surround sounds creating the best atmosphere and directional sense of surround sound.
- THX Music: Select THX Music to play music sources recorded in a multichannel format. In this mode, the THX ASA processing technology creates a broad and stable back sound field for music sources recorded in 5.1ch such as DTS, Dolby Digital, and DVD-Audio.
- THX Game: Select the THX Games mode to play game sound recorded in a multichannel format. In this mode, the THX ASA processing technology creates a 360-degree sound field with game sound recorded in PCM, DTS, Dolby Digital and other 5.1ch formats.
Note: THX Ultra was previously know as THX Ultra2.
Onkyo Original DSP Modes: Onkyo's Original DSP Modes, combined with Dolby Digital & DTS processing, produce more realistic, powerful sound effects for your movie and music sound tracks based on the type of content and your home theater setup. You can choose from the following:
- Orchestra: Suitable for classical or operatic music. This mode emphasizes the surround channels in order to widen the sound image, and simulates the natural reverberation of a large hall.
- Studio-Mix: Suitable for rock or pop music. Listening to music in this mode creates a lively sound field with a powerful acoustic image, like being at a club or rock concert.
- TV Logic: Suitable for TV shows produced in a TV studio. This mode enhances the surround effects to the entire sound to give clarity to voices and create a realistic acoustic image.
- Unplugged: Suitable for acoustic instruments, vocals and jazz. This mode emphasizes the front stereo image, giving the impression of being right in front of the stage.
- Multichannel (Multich)/Game: Multichannel mode is suitable for playing sources recorded in multichannel PCM. The preamplifier also offers four different Gaming modes - RPG, Action, Rock, and Sports.
- Stereo/All Channel Stereo (AllCh Stereo): In Stereo mode, sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer. In All Channel Stereo Mode, stereo sound is output from all speakers - ideal for background music.
- Mono/Full Mono: In Mono mode, when the input signal is analog or PCM, the left and right front speakers output the sound in monaural. In Full Mono mode, all speakers output the same sound in mono, so the sound you hear is the same regardless of where you are within the listening room.
- Theater-Dimensional (T-D): In this mode, you can enjoy a virtual playback of multichannel surround sound even with only two or three speakers. This works by controlling how sounds reach the listener's left and right ears
Audiophile Listening Modes: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 offers two audiophile listening modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. In Direct mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. This mode delivers pure sound with minimum sound quality adjustment and filtration. In Pure Audio mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity audio reproduction.
AccuEQ w/ AccuReflex: AccuEQ conducts two measurements: (1) it measures and sets the distance, sound pressure level and crossover of the connected powered subwoofers and your amplifier's connected speakers to ensure all channels are treated equally (2) it evaluates your room's sonic characteristics and adjusts your speaker's frequency response to prevent standing waves from forming. AccuEQ incorporates AccuReflex technology to align the phase of upfiring "height" speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers. Any delay is resolved so that everything arrives at your ears at the same time. The result is cohesive reproduction of object-based soundtracks. You can save up to 3 AccuEQ presets. The included microphone plugs into the front-panel of the preamplifier.
Note: You can choose bypass the AccuEQ for your front speakers or all speakers, and manually set the distance, crossover, EQ, and level of each speaker.
Audio Enhancements: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 preamplifier provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files. The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48kHz, analog input signals, and Bluetooth audio.
- Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High. This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
Bass Management: The Onkyo AV preamplifier offers Tone Control, Phase Matching Bass technology, and a Double Bass feature to get the most bass impact out of your system.
- Tone Controls: You can independently adjust the Bass (90Hz) and Treble (7.5kHz) of all preamplifier's channels from -10 to +10 dB. The preamplifier also provides independent Bass and Treble control for Zone 2.
- Phase Matching Bass: Onkyo's Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies while preserving mid-range clarity. This means that powerful bass plays back with clear vocals; it doesn't overpower them.
- Double Bass: You can also activate the Double Bass function in order to boost bass output even more by feeding bass sounds to the front left/right speakers, center-channel, and powered subwoofer.
Volume Setup: The Onkyo AV preamplifier provides the following volume settings.
- IntelliVolume: With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each input (+/-12dB) selector individually. This is useful if one of your source components is louder or quieter than the others. This function does not work in Zone 2.
- Maximum Volume: Use this feature to set the preamplifier's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 30-79 (max), or Off (disabled).
- Power On Volume: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Last (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Min (0), or 1-79.
- Mute Level: Set the volume lowered from the listening volume when "Mute" is selected. Choose from 0, -40dB, or -20 dB.
- Headphone Level: With this setting, you can specify the headphone volume (+/-12dB) relative to the main volume. This is useful if there's a volume difference between your speakers and your headphones.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 offers a variety of digital & analog inputs.
- Unbalanced Analog Inputs (including Phono): There are seven unbalanced stereo RCA inputs; including a Phono (MM) input.
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Onkyo AV preamplifier is equipped with three optical (toslink) digital inputs and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs. You can choose auto decoding , PCM, or DTS for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel, while DTS decodes only DTS formatted sources.
Headphone Jack: There is a full-size 1/4" headphone jack on the front-panel. When headphones are plugged into this jack, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0a: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 has eight HDMI 2.0a inputs (7 rear/1 front) and dual HDMI 2.0a outputs. Thanks to the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, the preamplifier can support 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, 4:4:4 color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR), and BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut. HDCP 2.2 is supported on HDMI inputs 1-5 and both HDMI outputs.
- 4K/60Hz: The PR-RZ5100 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and outputs. It will also pass a 480p, 820p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI (not compatible with 480i video signals).
- HDCP 2.2: The preamplifiers HDMI 1-5 inputs and both HDMI outputs support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The preamplifier's HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. HDMI inputs 4-8 only support 4K 60/50Hz @ YCbCr 4:2:0.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This preamplifier supports three HDR formats - HDR 10, HLG, & Dolby Vision.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the preamplifier and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision utilizes dynamic metadata which adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. Dolby Vision supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits.
Dual HDMI Outputs: The dual HDMI outputs can simultaneously output the same audio/video signal to two TVs, or you can assign the second HDMI output to Zone 2 to display a different HDMI source (1-5 input) in another room - video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs.
1080p to 4K HDMI Upscaling: The PR-RZ5100 provides enhanced picture quality of your HDMI connected Blu-ray collection by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image, while effortlessly upscaling 1080p video to stunning 4k UltraHD. 1080p to 4K upscaling is only supported through the AV preamp's HDMI inputs (1-8) and main HDMI output (not sub HDMI output). There is no analog video upscaling.
Analog Video-to-HDMI Conversion: The AV preamplifier is equipped with two composite video inputs (480i only) and two component video inputs (up to 1080i), as well as a component video output (up to 1080i). The component video output only supports the two component video inputs (not composite). The composite video inputs must be output via HDMI. Analog composite and component video signals (480i only) input to the preamplifier can also be converted to HDMI signals and then output from the preamplifier via its main HDMI monitor output to your TV. The resolution remains the same and is not upscaled.
Other HDMI Features: The PR-RZ5100 AV preamplifier's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v. Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- 3D-Ready: All HDMI jacks will accept 3D video from your 3D-ready Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready flat-panel television.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): The preamplifier's main HDMI output features ARC (Audio Return Channel). This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your preamplifier through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV preamplifier supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- Auto Lip-Sync: The Lip-Sync function can automatically synchronize HDMI audio and video (for any HDMI jack) that has gotten out of sync due to the complex digital video processing being performed by your HDMI-compatible TV. With HDMI Lip-Sync, the audio delay required to synchronize the audio and video is calculated and applied automatically by the AV preamplifier. You can also manually correct the audio delay from 0 (no delay) to 400 milliseconds; in 10 millisecond steps.
HDMI Through: When enabling the HDMI Through function, regardless of whether the AV preamplifier is "O" or in "Standby", both audio/video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the preamplifier HDMI monitor output. You can select between three HDMI Through modes.
- Auto: Detects the signal and automatically selects the input sources.
- Source: Selects the HDMI input source for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV preamplifier to the "standby" mode.
Video Select: It is possible to play audio and video from different sources. For example, you can play audio via Bluetooth and video from your BD/DVD player. This function is only effective when an input with audio only (Network, Bluetooth, or Tuner) has been selected initially.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV preamplifier supports a wired Ethernet (RJ-45) or wireless WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) network connection. Via the AV preamplifier's network connection, you can enjoy music files stored on your computer and listen to internet radio through a variety of online music services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Onkyo AV preamplifier is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer. Connecting the A/V preamplifier's Ethernet port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the preamplifier to your home network.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The AV preamplifier also features built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network, so you can enjoy the benefits of a cable-free network environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with a WiFi-enabled access point (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz). Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Note: Network setup requires that the preamplifier be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The preamplifier's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA Certified: Because the PR-RZ5100 is DLNA (ver.15) certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA compliant media server through the stereo preamplifier. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and preamplifier's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz)
- Lossless: ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Built-in Online Music Services: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 offers several built-in internet radio & online music services through its wired or wireless network connection.
- TuneIn: With more than 100,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is a service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.
- Pandora: Pandora is a personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.
- Tidal: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Onkyo AV preamplifier from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Chromecast Built-In (Firmware Update Available): Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your Apple (iOS 7.0+) or Android (OS 2.3+) mobile device to the Onkyo stereo preamplifier. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you connect more than one device at a time to the preamplifier, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device. Chromecast built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your phone, so you won't lose any sound quality or drain your battery.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Onkyo preamplifier. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Onkyo preamplifier. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the preamplifier's speaker system or draining your battery.
Note: Make sure the PR-RZ5100 has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.1+LE) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, & Mac laptop/computer, as well as other Bluetooth compatible devices to the Onkyo preamplifier.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the PR-RZ5100 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the preamplifier offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You can use the preamplifier's IR remote control to operate basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
- Song/Artist Information: The preamplifier will display song/artist information on its front-panel LCD and through its on-screen on your HDMI-connected TV. Album Art is not supported.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo preamplifier.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV preamplifier, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV preamplifier. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV preamplifier; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV preamplifier. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
USB Mass Storage Class: This AV preamplifier is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The unit will recognize USB MSC devices formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 with up to 20,000 music files. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and preamplifier's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV preamplifier's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Notes: USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported. Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android devices are not supported via USB.
HDMI Zone 2: The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV preamplifier provides a Zone 2 HDMI output, so two different HDMI audio/video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the preamp (HDMI 1-5 connected input sources only). HDMI Zone 2 will output up to 4K video and 2-channel audio for the HDMI input source selected. Video will be output at the highest resolution supported by both TVs. If you have the same HDMI source playing back in the main room and Zone 2, then the main room is also limited to 2ch PCM audio.
- Compatible Sources: HDMI 1-5 connected input sources only (up to 4K/2ch PCM).
- Incompatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Bluetooth, Network, and Optical/Coaxial Digital audio sources; plus analog video sources and HDMI 6-8 inputs.
Zone 2 (Audio Only): In addition to the main listening room, you can also enjoy audio playback from a different source in another room of your home using the preamplifier's Zone 2 function. By using the Zone 2 line-level outputs on the PR-RZ5100 you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 11.2ch or 7.2.4ch surround in the main room and play a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled from the PR-RZ5100 or your add-on integrated amplifier/receiver.
- Compatible Sources: AM/FM tuner, HDMI Audio 1-5 (2ch PCM only), Analog & Optical/Coax Digital (2ch PCM only) inputs, USB & Bluetooth Audio, Network (including DLNA, AirPlay, built-in music apps, & Chromecast Built-in) can be played back in Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: HDMI Audio (6-8), as well as HDMI video and analog video inputs cannot be output to Zone 2. DSD audio files cannot be played back in Zone 2.
- As for Network, USB, and Bluetooth sources; you cannot select different inputs for the main room and Zone 2. For example, if a Network source has been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as a playback source in Zone 2, the input in the main room will also change to the Bluetooth source.
- When listening to AM/FM radio, you cannot select different stations for the main room and Zone 2.
Zone 3 (Audio Only): Zone 3's line-level outputs allow playback of a separate source in 2-channel stereo in a third room of your home using a separate integrated amplifier (keeping either 11.2ch or 7.2.4ch playback in your main room). The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled from the PR-RZ5100 or your add-on integrated amplifier/receiver.
- Compatible Sources: AM/FM tuner, Analog inputs, USB & Bluetooth Audio, Network (including DLNA, AirPlay, built-in music apps, & Chromecast Built-in) can be played back in Zone 3.
- Incompatible Sources: Optical/coaxial digital audio sources, HDMI sources, and any video source cannot be played back in Zone 3.
- As for Network, USB, and Bluetooth sources; you cannot select different inputs for the main room and Zone 3. For example, if a Network source has been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as a playback source in Zone 3, the input in the main room will also change to the Bluetooth source.
- When listening to AM/FM radio, you cannot select different stations for the main room and Zone 3.
Whole House Mode: The Whole House Mode is useful when you want to simply add extra background music to your home party. This mode allows you to enjoy the same stereo music as the main room in separate rooms (Zone 2/3). The Whole House Mode selects the same input source for Zone 2/3 as the main room. During the Whole House Mode, All Stereo playback is selected for the Main Zone and Stereo playback for the other two Zones. The Main Zone, Zone 2, and Zone 3 will all have independent volume control.
Note: Whole House Mode cannot be used if headphones are connected or audio is output from the speakers of the TV.
Google Home Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a Chromecast built-in music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
DTS Play-Fi (via Future Firmware Update): DTS Play-Fi combines DTS and WiFi to wirelessly stream high quality audio through out your home using the Play-Fi app for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, & Windows 7 PC or later. Supported music formats up to 24-bit/192kHz (including MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV) are wirelessly streamed to the preamplifier or to multiple DTS Play-Fi players at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). You can connect multiple DTS Play-Fi products together from different brands and manufacturers on the same home network to create a whole-home streaming experience. Play the same source in every room or a different song in each room. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router. Compatible sources include -
- Source Devices: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from Apple iOS & Android devices, Windows laptops & desktop computers, as well as DLNA-servers on your existing home WiFi network to the Onkyo preamplifier. Up to eight separate wireless source devices, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services, including - Pandora, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more.
- DTS Play-Fi Compatible Products: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Onkyo, Integra, Klipsch, MartinLogan, McIntosh, Paradigm, Phorus, Polk Audio, SVS, Wren, and more) in your home.
Note: This unit does not support the following DTS Play-Fi functions - Spotify Connect, Wireless Surround Sound, Line-In Rebroadcast, Interent Radio, Criticaly Listening Mode, and L/R Stero Speaker Pairing.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc.) in your home.
FireConnect MultiRoom Audio (Firmware Update Available): FireConnect powered by Blackfire mirrors network audio sources and any external analog source playing through the preamplifier (from streaming audio to vinyl) on optional FireConnect/Blackfire wireless speakers (such as the Onkyo NCP-302, sold separately). Sampling rates up to 48 kHz are supported. FireConnect powered by Blackfire is stable, fast, and easy to control with Onkyo's Controller app for Apple iOS and Android.
Note: Make sure the Onkyo preamplifier has the latest firmware/software update installed. Onkyo cannot guarantee the compatibility with other devices featuring FireConnect or Blackfire.
Sonos Connect Ready (Firmware Update Available): Instantly upgrade the music streaming capability of your Onkyo receiver with Sonos Connect (sold separately) and a free over-the-network firmware update. With the Sonos Connect connected to the Onkyo preamplifier via a set of stereo RCA cable, the audio system you've built around the preamplifier can now be part of a Sonos Wireless Multiroom Audio System (components sold separately). After a simple set up, the Onkyo preamp will seamlessly tie into Sonos, instantly turning on from network standby, changing inputs and playing at the volume you command through the Sonos controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Functionality: Once the Onkyo preamplifier is connected to the Sonos Connect you will be able to send any music or source on the Sonos app to the preamp. You will also be able to group the preamplifier to other Sonos devices on the network or use it independently. Whenever you start playing music back from your Sonos app and the Onkyo preamplifier is selected, the preamp will automatically turn on and switch to the correct input.
- Compatibility: The Onkyo preamplifier can be used with the Sonos One, Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 or any combination of these speakers (all sold separately). You can even use the Onkyo preamplifier with a Playbar or Playbase (sold separately) that is located in a different room. Just remember that you need to have a Sonos Connect to connect the Onkyo preamplifier to the Sonos multiroom audio system.
Note: Click here to learn even more about Onkyo and Sonos working together to give you the ultimate home theater and multiroom audio experience.
Onkyo Controller App: The Onkyo Controller app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.0.3) features an intuitive, user-friendly interface that allows you to conveniently operate the Onkyo preamplifier from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. This app not only has the usual remote control functions, it also has a multiroom functionality for Zone 2 and wireless multiroom audio setups.
- Remote Control: You can operate general control functions (play/stop, control the volume, select the input source, etc.) from your compatible smartphone or tablet.
- Source Device Playback: Operation of connected products (like a Blu-Ray player or TV) that are connected to the preamplifier via HDMI.
- Streaming Audio: Lets you play audio from built-in music streaming services (such as Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL), the music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, and your Windows PC or other DLNA-compatible server. You can also access music from Bluetooth and USB source devices.
- Multiroom Audio: Provides control over Zone 2 and wireless multiroom audio (such as FireConnect by Blackfire).
Google Home Voice Commands: With a Google Home voice-activated speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.2+), you can use your voice to control select functions of the Onkyo AV preamplifier. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
IR Remote: The preamplifier comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this preamplifier and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC).
HDMI Control: This function allows HDMI-CEC compatible components or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to be controlled with the PR-RZ5100. The AV preamplifier offers the following HDMI-CEC controls.
- The AV preamplifier will enter Standby mode when the power of the TV is turned to Standby.
- You can set on the menu screen of the TV to either output the audio from the speakers connected to the AV preamplifier, or from the speakers of the TV.
- It is possible to output the audio/video from the antenna or from the input jack of the TV from the speakers connected to the AV preamplifier.
- Input to the AV preamplifier can be selected with the remote controller of the TV.
- Operations such as volume adjustment or similar for the AV preamplifier can be performed from the remote controller of the TV.
Control & Custom Integration: The PR-RZ5100 includes system integration connectivity such as RS232 with support for 2-way communication with 3rd party home automation systems. An infrared (IR) input allows pass-through of IR signals to control other devices connected to the PR-RZ5100, such as a TV or Blu-ray player. The 12 volt trigger can be used to raise/lower a projection screen, power on/off an external amplifier or open/close the drapes with the touch of a button. A detachable AC power cable and optional rack-mount kit (sold separately) provide easy installation.
Web Control: When connected to your home's wired or wireless network, you can setup the Onkyo AV preamplifier with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Assistance (HDMI only): The Onkyo AV preamplifier offers an on-screen (GUI) menu system through its HDMI output. The simple on-screen display combines text and graphics that make setup and other operations extremely easy. The initial setup assistant takes you step-by-step through speaker configuration, source connection, remote programming, and network connection.
Note: Initial setup requires that the preamplifier be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the preamplifier's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, and ALAC music files via USB.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name for each individual input selector and radio preset for easy identification. When entered, the custom name will appear on the display. This function cannot be used for the AM/FM, Network, USB, and Bluetooth input selectors.
Display Dimmer: The front-panel display brightness has three settings - Dim, Dimmer, and Normal.
Timers: The preamplifier features a programmable Auto Standby function & programmable Sleep Timer.
- Auto Standby: The AV preamplifier will automatically go into Standby mode, if there is no operation for 20 minutes with no audio/video signal input.
- Sleep Timer: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the preamplifier's Network or USB connection. Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.