About the Onkyo TX-8555
For great stereo sound at a remarkably down-to-earth price, check out this versatile receiver from Onkyo. The TX-8555 boasts 100 watts per channel of clean, high-current power to deliver a powerful sonic punch that's sure to satisfy. You can also get your iPod® into the mix using an optional dock, or add XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio to your listening choices.
Rock-solid Onkyo construction
The '8555 owes its impressive sound quality to Onkyo's renowned low-impedance amplifier design. Its oversized, shielded transformer provides maximum power capacity and stability with minimum hum. An efficient heavy-duty extruded aluminum heat sink ensures cooler operation and longer life from your receiver. Plus the rigid, reinforced chassis and aluminum front panel fight performance-robbing vibration. These details all add up to breathtaking performance, and the ability to drive virtually any speaker system with ease.
Satellite radio ready and iPod® compatible
If you're a fan of XM Radio, you'll appreciate how easily you can add it to the '8555. Simply plug in an optional XM tuner kit and activate your XM subscription to tune in your favorite XM radio channels. Or, you can listen to SIRIUS Radio by adding a SiriusConnect home tuner kit. Plus, Onkyo's optional control dock lets you enjoy the music stored on your iPod® through your stereo system.
Hook-up flexibility and convenience
The '8555 provides plenty of inputs for your audio/video gear. Connect up to three audio source components (including a turntable), and up to four audio/video components (VCR, DVD, etc.). The TX-8555 even offers video switching for added convenience. Two-room/two-source capability means you can enjoy one audio or video source in your main room while a housemate listens to another source in a different room. (You'll need amplifiers or powered speakers for the second room.) Two sets of main speaker outputs let you connect an additional pair of speakers.
- 100 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM tuner kit
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- iPod® integration (requires optional iPod dock)
- dual-room/dual-source audio (line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room)
- 3 audio inputs (including phono), and 4 A/V inputs (composite video)
- line-level subwoofer output
- three front-panel display brightness settings (dim, dark, normal)
- direct access tuning
- 40 AM/FM presets
- rotary bass and treble controls
- Pure Audio/Direct mode for cleaner sound
- remote control
- headphone jack
- front-panel switching for two pairs of main speakers
- anti-resonant aluminum front panel
- high-current, low-impedance amplifier design
- oversized power transformer, filter capacitors, and heat sink
- sleep timer
- 17-1/8"W x 5-7/8"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 19 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # TX8555
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/Stereo receiver
- RC-728M wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (French/Spanish)
- Satellite radio guide (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Product registration/Warranty information
- iPod dock brochure
- Satellite radio information (XM and SIRIUS)
More details on the Onkyo TX-8555
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||100|
|THD in Stereo||0.08 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||15.2 dBf|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||80dB|
|Wired or Wireless Network||No|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|Total Number of Zones||2|
|Multibrand Remote Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Audio Inputs||3|
|Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): This technology uses low-negative-feedback circuit topology for accurate signal reproduction, improved dynamic signal-to-noise ratio, and better delivery of power peaks.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for the A and B speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs; they will accept bare wire, pin connectors, single banana plugs, and dual banana plugs.
Headphone Output: This receiver has a standard 1/4" headphone output on the front panel. The A and B speaker outputs are not automatically muted when you plug in headphones; they must be turned off using the buttons above the headphone jack.
Zone 2: The TX-8555 has line level (stereo RCA) outputs for a second zone. The zone 2 source is independent of the main zone and the level can be fixed or variable.
Pure Audio: In this mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off and the tone controls are bypassed, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity reproduction.
Direct: In this mode, audio from the input source is output directly, bypassing the tone controls.
IntelliVolume: The IntelliVolume setup function allows you set a volume correction value for each source, to prevent large jumps in volume when switching from one source to another. This feature eliminates the inconvenience of manually readjusting the volume control each time you switch from a source with a weak signal to a source with a strong signal and vice versa.
Volume Setup: The receiver volume can be configured in the following ways:
- Maximum Volume: prevent the volume from being turned too high by setting a maximum levels; independently set maximum volumes in the main zone and zone 2
- Power On Volume: specify the turned-on volume; choose any volume level or Last (the same level that was used when the receiver was turned off); independently set maximum volumes in the main zone and zone 2
- Mute Level: choose the level when you press the mute button; total mute, -50 dB, -40 dB, -30 dB, -20 dB, or -10 dB
Sleep Function: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10-minute increments.
Tuner Presets: Up to 40 radio presets can be programmed, AM or FM; each can be assigned a customized name, up to 8 alphanumeric characters.
Video: Although not a surround sound receiver, the TX-8555 does have four composite video inputs and an output; so it can be used in a basic A/V system.
Display Dimmer: The display can be adjusted to one of three brightness levels.
Remote Control: The remote controls this unit and compatible Onkyo cassette players, CD players, DVD players, and iPods (via the optional iPod Dock).
IR Input/Output: A commercially available IR receiver can be connected to the IR In jack, allowing you to control the receiver while you're in another room, or when the receiver is out of sight. An optional IR emitter can be connected to the IR Out jack to pass IR commands to other components.
RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to compatible Onkyo components and control them with the included remote.
iPod Compatible: The DS-A4 Remote Interactive Dock for iPod (580DSA4, sold separately) provides an interface between an iPod digital media player and Onkyo TX-8555. Once the iPod is docked you can control basic functions such as volume, play, stop, and skip via the Onkyo system's RI-compatible wireless remote control. The dock also charges the battery in the iPod.
Satellite Ready: The Onkyo TX-8555 features proprietary ports on the rear panel for XM and Sirius Satellite Radio connection. In addition to the following necessary optional satellite tuners (sold separately), you will need a subscription to XM and/or Sirius Satellite radio.
- XM Satellite Radio Ready: The receiver can be connected to the optional XM Home Tuner and Antenna (220XHD2H1, sold separately), allowing you to receive XM Satellite Radio through the TX-8555. You can search XM radio stations by Channel, Category or Direct Tuning. You can also choose to display the following XM information on the receiver's display - Channel Name, Channel Number, Category Name, Artist Name or Song Title.
- Sirius Satellite Radio Ready: The TX-8555 can also be connected to the optional SiriusConnect Home Tuner kit (607SCH1 or 220SCH2P, sold separately), which allows you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio through the receiver. You can search Sirius radio stations by Channel, Category or Direct Tuning. You can also choose to display the following Sirius information on the receiver's display - Channel Name, Channel Number, Category Name, Artist Name or Song Title.