About the Onkyo TX-SR607
Onkyo's feature-rich TX-SR607 is ready to handle all your high-definition video and audio needs. This versatile receiver teams seven channels of home theater power with advanced surround processing to deliver enveloping, true-to-life sound for all your movies, TV shows, music, and video games. You get built-in lossless decoding for Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, plus the very latest Dolby technology Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz. This cool new feature lets you add an optional pair of front "height" speakers as an alternative to using two surround back speakers. You can place these above your main front speakers to enjoy a larger soundstage with an expanded vertical dimension an excellent sonic enhancement to video games and movies.
Flexible HDMI switching with video upconversion to 1080i
The 'SR607's 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs let you hook up six high-def sources and switch easily among them, while maintaining pristine digital sound and picture quality. The front-panel HDMI input makes it a snap to connect a high-def camcorder or game console. This receiver also adds analog-to-HDMI conversion, so you can send all of the video sources in your system to your TV via a single HDMI cable. Plus, it can upconvert any non-HD video source up to 1080i resolution, so that standard DVDs and older video sources will look their best on your HDTV.
Fast, accurate setup and optimum sound quality
Onkyo includes Audyssey 2EQ, a sophisticated speaker calibration system that makes it simple to optimize surround sound for your room. Using the included microphone, the receiver analyzes sound from two different listening positions, then automatically adjusts volume level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. The result is clear, precise, natural sound. Plus, Audyssey's Dynamic Volume mode helps keep the sound clear and steady, eliminating those annoying spikes in volume that often accompany TV commercials.
Flexible entertainment options
This receiver's dual-room/dual-source audio capability lets you enjoy home theater in your main room while a housemate listens to stereo music in another room. You can integrate your iPod® by adding Onkyo's handy control dock, and tune in to SIRIUS Satellite radio with the addition of an optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit.
- 90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Express, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, Pro Logic® IIz, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080i) with Faroudja DCDi Edge processing
- iPod® integration (requires optional DS-A3 or UP-A1 iPod dock)
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- Audyssey 2EQ auto speaker setup (microphone included)
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to maintain steady listening levels
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ mode for fuller surround sound at lower volumes
- Music Optimizer for improved sound quality with compressed music files
- dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room; using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- high-current amplifier design
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- aluminum front panel
- on-screen display for easier setup and operation
- multibrand remote
- sleep timer (via remote)
- 17-1/8"W x 6-15/16"H x 13-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (6 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.3a with support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, lip-sync, DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDMI-CEC with compatible video sources and TVs
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion with scaling up to 1080i
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- 2 subwoofer preamp outputs
- front-panel minijack for connecting portable audio player
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- MFR # TXSR607
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RC-738M)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Speaker setup microphone with attached 19.5' cable (3.5mm mono mini-plug terminal)
- Instruction Manual
- Quick setup guide
- Remote control code chart
- Product registration card/Warranty information
- iPod dock/HD Radio module information
- RIHD-compatible note
- Using Sirius Satellite Radio booklet
- Sirius Satellite Radio brochure
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Onkyo TX-SR607 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Onkyo TX-SR607
Features & specs
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): This technology uses low-negative-feedback circuit topology for accurate signal reproduction, improved dynamic signal-to-noise ratio, and better delivery of power peaks.
H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply): The Onkyo TX-SR607 is equipped with a H.C.P.S. massive high power transformer.
Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs): To decode and playback high-resolution recordings, this receiver is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit DACs.
Listening Modes: This receiver features two highly accurate 32-bit DSP processors and incorporates a wide variety of listening modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. You can assign a default listening mode to each input source so that listening mode will be selected automatically when you select the corresponding input source. The listening modes include:
- Direct: This mode delivers pure sound with minimum sound quality adjustment and filtration. The sound recorded for the right and left front channels is output to the right and left front speakers only and not output to the subwoofer, center, or rear speakers.
- Stereo: Sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer.
- Mono: Monaural sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic II formats - Cinema, Music, or Game.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Cinema, Music, or Game.
- 5.1Ch Source+PLIIx Music: Expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources to 6.1 or 7.1-channels.
- 5.1Ch Source+PLIIx Movie: Expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources to 7.1-channels
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height: Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height is designed to more effectively use existing program material when height channel speaker outputs are present. Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height can be used to upmix a variety of sources from movies and music, but is particularly well-suited to upmix game content.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby Digital Plus: Multi-channel audio format for HDTV and Blue-ray which supports up to 7.1- channels with 48kHz sampling rate.
- Dolby TrueHD: Offers up to 7.1 discrete channels of digital audio with 48/96kHz and up to 5.1-channels with 192kHz sampling rate.
- DTS Digital Surround: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
- DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
- DTS-ES Extended Surround:
features two 6.1 multi-channel formats:
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1-channel is a 6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound.
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: DTS-ES Matrix 6.1-channel is a discrete 6.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: Multi-channel audio DTS format which support up to 7.1 channels with 96kHz sampling rate.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: Offers up to 7.1 discrete channels of digital audio with 48/96kHz and up to 5.1-channels with 192kHz sampling rate.
- DTS Express: Supports up to 5.1 channels and a lower sampling rate of 48kHz.
- DSD: This mode can be used with SACDs that feature multi-channel audio.
- DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music
- 5.1Ch Source + Neo:6: This mode uses Neo:6 to expand 5.1-channel sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback.
- DTS Surround Sensation: With this mode you can enjoy a 5.1 surround sound even with just two speakers. You can select from NEO:6 Cinema+DTS Surround Sensation or Neo:6 Music+DTS Surround Sensation to expand stereo sources for virtual surround playback.
- Theater-Dimensional (T-D): Enjoy virtual 5.1 surround with two or three speakers Onkyo's exclusive. Theater-Dimensional circuitry takes the complexity out of conventional surround-sound setups and lets you experience the excitement of surround sound from as few as two ordinary speakers. Theater-Dimensional's unique multi-speaker modes let you place up to five speakers conveniently by the TV, for the most realistic virtual-surround sound possible. You can adjust the listening angle between 20 or 40-degrees.
- Onkyo Original DSP Modes:
- Game: The receiver offers four different Gaming modes - RPG, Action, Rock, and Sports.
- Orchestra: For classical or operatic music.
- Unplugged: For acoustic instruments, vocals, and jazz.
- Studio-Mix: Suitable for rock or pop.
- TV Logic: Adds realistic acoustics to TV shows.
- All Ch Stereo: Ideal for background music.
- Full Mono: All speakers output the same sound in mono.
Dolby Pro Logic II & IIx Music Modes: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II or IIx Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
Center Image: In the DTS Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
Audyssey 2EQ Automatic Speaker Setup: With the supplied speaker setup microphone, Audyssey 2EQ can measure the number of speakers connected, their sizes, crossover frequencies and distances front he listening position and calculate the optimal speaker setting for you automatically. The supplied microphone is approximately 1.625" in diameter, 2.9375" tall, and has a 19.5' cable that plugs into the front of the receiver. There is a threaded insert on the bottom of the microphone so it can be mounted on a tripod for accurate listening position placement. Three listening position measurements are taken, one primary and two secondary, to optimize the surround effect for a broad area. You can also setup your speaker system manually using the receiver.
- Speaker Size: You can set Large or Small for your front speakers; Large, Small or None for your surround, surround back, and center speakers; and Yes or No for subwoofer. You can also select 1ch or 2ch mode for the connected surround back speakers.
- Speaker Distance: The distance from your listening position to each speaker can also be set manually. The front speaker distance can be set from 1 to 30 feet in 1-foot increments. The center and subwoofer settings can be up to 5 feet more or 5 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers (30 feet max). The settings for the surround left, surround right, surround back left, and surround back right speakers are each individually adjustable, and they may be up to 5 feet more or 15 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers (30 feet max).
- Equalizer: You can adjust the receivers 5-band equalizer (63, 250, 1000, 4000, and 16000 Hz) for each speaker manually from -6 to +6dB in 1dB increments. The subwoofer's level can be adjusted at 25Hz, 40Hz, 63Hz, 100Hz, or 160Hz.
- Speaker Levels: You can manually adjust the level of individual speakers between -12dB and +12dB; -15dB to +12dB for the subwoofer.
Adjustable Crossover: This receiver has a built-in high-pass crossover for any of the speakers set to Small. This setting is available when the subwoofer is set to Yes. The frequencies that you can choose from are 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, and 200 Hz. Frequencies lower than the set crossover point are output by the subwoofer.
Bass And Treble: You can independently adjust the Bass (50Hz) and Treble (20kHz) of the TX-SR607 from -10 to +10 dB.
Double Bass: You can enhance the bass output by activating the Double Bass function. This function allows you to feed bass frequencies to the front left and right channels and to the subwoofer. Double Bass can be set only when the subwoofer is set to On and the front speakers are set to Large.
Audyssey Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics. Dynamic EQ selects the best possible frequency response and surround levels moment-by-moment as volume is changed. The result is bass response, tonal balance and surround impression that remain constant despite changes in volume. Audyssey Dynamic EQ combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a prerequisite for delivering a loudness correction solution. Audyssey Dynamic EQ works in tandem with Audyssey (2EQ, MultEQ, MultEQ XT) to provide well-balanced sound for every listener at any volume level.
CinemaFilter: Using the CinemaFilter you soften overly bright movie soundtracks. Movie soundtracks are typically mixed for a large theater (relative to your home theater) with lots of soft seats and thick curtains on the walls. Home theater settings often lack these high frequency absorbing wall treatments, making the soundtrack sound too bright. CinemaFilter accounts for this and for many movies sounds more natural at home.
Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files. The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48kHz and analog input signals.
Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High.
Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
Audio Sync: Occasionally the audio and video signals are not properly synchronized, typically when using a progressive scanning DVD player. You can correct this by delaying the audio; options are 0 (no delay) to 100 milliseconds, in 20 millisecond steps.
IntelliVolume: With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each input selector individually from -12 to +12 dB in 1 dB increments.
Multi-Zone: The TX-SR607 features the following Zone 2 connections so you can listen to one input source in your main room and a different source in another room.
- Line Out: By using the line-level outputs on the TX-SR607 you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1 surround in the main room and play a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp.
- Speaker Out: By using the speaker-level outputs on the TX-SR607 you can directly connect a secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 5.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different audio source in the other room. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the TX-SR607 receiver.
Bi-Amping Front Speakers: The Front L/R, Surround Back L/R, Zone 2 L/R speaker terminal posts can be used with front speakers, surround back speakers, and Zone 2 speakers respectively, or bi-amped to provide separate tweeter and woofer feeds for the front speaker, providing improved bass and treble performance. When bi-amping the front speakers with the Surround Back L/R outputs, the AV receiver is able to drive up to 5.1 speakers in the main room. When bi-amping the front speaker with the Zone 2 speaker outputs, the AV receiver is able to drive up to 7.1 speaker in the main room, but you will need use the Zone 2 preamp output to connect speakers in another room.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The Onkyo receiver is equipped with two optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. All four digital inputs are assignable.
Binding Post Speaker Outputs: There are color-coded binding post connectors for the left front, right front, center, left surround, right surround, left surround back, and right surround back speakers. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. There are spring terminals for the Zone 2 speakers
Sleep Function: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10 minute increments.
HDMI (V.1.3): The TX-SR607 has six assignable HDMI v1.3 inputs (5 rear/1 front) and one HDMI v1.3 output for connecting DVD players, HDTV set-top boxes, and other video components to your TV or projector. The receiver's HDMI circuitry allows the receiver to output an HDMI audio signal from its speaker outputs, headphone out, and HDMI out so you don't have to run and additional analog or digital cable. The receiver uses HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), so only HDCP-compatible components can display the picture. The HDMI inputs can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p signals to a TV, monitor, or projector. The HDMI inputs will support uncompressed standard or high definition digital video along with the following audio signals: 2-channel linear PCM, Multichannel linear PCM, and Bitstream. Each of the HDMI inputs can be assigned to any of the four rear panel A/V inputs (DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, TV/Tape).
Upconversion With Upscaling (via HDMI): The Onkyo TX-SR607 will convert incoming analog composite video and component video signals to HDMI so you can connect all your video sources through the receiver and then to your TV via HDMI to give you the best picture quality possible. Using Faroudja DCDi Edge Technology, the receiver has the ability to upscale incoming analog and digital video signals up to 1080i. You can specify the output resolution for the receiver's HDMI output and have the AV receiver upconvert and upscale the picture resolution as necessary to match the resolution supported by your television. You can select from 480p, 720p, 1080i, Auto or Through.
Zoom Mode (via HDMI): This setting determines the aspect ratio that will be used for 480, 480p, 576i, and 576p input signals when they are output via HDMI at 1080i or 720p. You can select from Normal or Full.
xvColor (via HDMI): Increases detail and color space when watching movies on your television from an external device connected by HDMI through the TX-SR607.
Auto Lip Sync (via HDMI): The Lip Sync function can automatically synchronize HDMI audio and video that has gotten out of sync due to the complex digital video processing being performed by your HDMI-compatible TV. With HDMI Lip Sync, the audio delay required to synchronize the audio and video is calculated and applied automatically by the AV receiver.
Component Video: There are 2 component video inputs and 1 component video output. The component video inputs and outputs have a bandwidth of 5Hz to 50MHz.
On-Screen Display (OSD): The TX-SR607's on-screen setup menu appears on your connected TV and provides a convenient way to change the AV receiver's various settings using the supplied remote control. The onscreen setup menu appears only on TV connected to the receiver via HDMI. If your TV is connected to the composite video output or the Component Video output, use the TX-SR607's front-panel LCD display when changing settings.
Video Settings: You can adjust the following video settings for the receiver's video monitor outputs - Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, and Sharpness.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name of each individual input mode and radio preset for easy identification. Once entered, the custom name will appear on the unit's display.
Display Dimmer: The display brightness has three settings; Dim, Dimmer, and Normal.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied RC-738M wireless remote is a multi-brand remote. The remote is pre-programmed to operate Onkyo components, as well as other popular brands of equipment, including DVD players, satellite receivers, cable boxes, VCRs, and televisions. The IR wireless remote control will operate up to 16-feet away from the receiver at an angle of 30-degrees left or right of the receiver as long as the remote is within the line of sight of the TX-SR607.
HDMI Control: This function allows CEC-compatible components or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to be controlled with the TX-SR607. The AV receiver offers the following CEC HDMI control functions.
- Power Control: This feature allows you to link the power functions of CEC-compatible components or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI.
- TV Control: This function enables you to control this AV receiver from an RIHD-compatible TV connected via HDMI.
RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
iPod/iPhone Compatible: With the Onkyo UP-A1 series Dock (580UPA1, sold separately), you can play music, photo, and video stored on select Apple iPods/iPhones through the AV receiver. The UP-A1 offers charging capability and remote operability via your A/V receiver's remote controller. The UP-A1 connects to the receiver's proprietary "Universal" port.
Note: The TX-SR607 will only display iPod video from the receiver composite monitor output (480i only). It also supports Onkyo's RI-compatible DS-A3 iPod dock (580DSA3, sold separately).
HD Radio Ready: The Onkyo UP-HT1 HD Radio Module (580UPHT1, sold separately) sends high-quality digital AM/FM audio via a single proprietary cable to the Onkyo receiver's Universal Port. The same convenient cable also powers the tuner unit, saving on cable clutter. The tuner features 40 random presets for FM and AM stations. A rear-side Universal Port input gives you the option of "daisy chaining" a second compatible device, such as the UP-A1 Onkyo Dock for the iPod.
Sirius Satellite Radio Ready: The TX-SR607 can be connected to the optional SiriusConnect Home Tuner kit (607SCH1, sold separately) or SiriusConnect Home Tuner Receiver (220SCH2P, sold separately), which allows you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio through the receiver. You can search Sirius radio stations by Channel, Category or Direct Tuning. You can also choose to display the following Sirius information on the receiver's display - Channel Name, Channel Number, Category Name, Artist Name or Song Title. You can store a combination of 40 of your favorite Sirius, AM, and FM radio stations.
The Onkyo TX-SR607 replaces these items
- 90 watts x 7 full-bandwidth rated
- Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio high-resolution surround decoding
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready