About the Onkyo TX-SR703
Onkyo's TX-SR703 carries Lucasfilm Ltd.'s prestigious THX Select2® certification for home entertainment excellence, so you're sure to get stellar A/V performance. This sophisticated receiver combines 100 watts x 7 channels of high-current Onkyo power with top-quality THX processing. You'll experience enveloping surround sound from virtually all of your sources, including movies, music, TV shows and video games. And the sturdy, well-built chassis keeps your sound clear and dynamic at all times.
The 'SR703 also comes "XM Ready," which makes it especially easy to enjoy XM Satellite Radio in your home, through your best speakers. Once you've added an optional XM Mini-Tuner package and activated your XM subscription, you'll have access to more than 170 XM Satellite Radio channels. Plus, you can view channel, artist, and song information on your TV, and change channels using the included remote control.
Add Onkyo's optional DS-A2 control dock to enjoy listening to tunes on your iPod® through your stereo system. The DS-A2 features a video output that lets you view your iPod's photos and videos on a TV. Plus you can use the receiver's remote to control your player while it's docked.
Onkyo's Auto Speaker Setup feature lets you easily configure your speakers for the best possible sound. Just plug in the included microphone and the 'SR703 automatically balances levels and adjusts the delay setting for each of your main-room speakers. The result is home theater sound that's optimized for your specific room and speakers.
Component video conversion lets you route all video sources to your TV using only one component video connection. This simplifies hookup and streamlines switching between video sources, while also maintaining the best picture quality for every source in your system.
Another great convenience is dual-room/dual-source output, which lets you enjoy surround sound in your main room while a housemate listens to a different stereo source in a second room. You also get a learning/multibrand remote for controlling your other components, and an on-screen display that lets you view the receiver's menus and settings on your TV.
- 100 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- high-current, low-impedance amplifier design
- THX Select2 certification
- THX Surround EX®, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- iPod integration (requires optional Onkyo DS-A2 control dock)
- Auto Speaker Setup (microphone included)
- dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and fixed line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room; using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- component video conversion
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs
- learning/multibrand remote
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out (100MHz bandwidth)
- digital inputs: 5 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 7.1-channel input
- 7.1-channel preamp output
- 3 audio inputs (including phono)
- 5 audio/video inputs (including 5 S-video and 1 front-panel)
- on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
- 40 AM/FM presets
- Wide Range Amplifier Technology
- aluminum front panel
- oversized power transformer, filter capacitors and heat sinks
- 17-1/8"W x 6-13/16"H x 17-9/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # TXSR703
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-620M wireless remote control
- 3 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Speaker setup microphone with attached 19.5' cable (terminated with a minijack mono connector)
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Guide
- "Remote Control Codes" sheet
- Product Registration/Warranty Card
- Errata sheet
- Interactive iPod dock information
- XM Radio Connect & Play information
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
Onkyo TX-SR703 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Onkyo TX-SR703
Features & specs
THX Select2 Certification: THX Select2 requirements define hundreds of parameters, including power amplifier performance, and pre-amplifier performance and operation for both digital and analog domains. THX Select2 receivers also feature proprietary THX technologies (e.g., THX Mode) which accurately translate movie soundtracks for home theater playback.
On-Screen Display (OSD): An OSD can be displayed on your television for easy system setup. The joystick/enter button on the remote makes display navigation and setting adjustment simple and convenient. The OSD is passed through all the monitor outputs (composite video, S-video, and component video).
Component Video Switching: In addition to composite and S-Video switching, this unit can switch between high resolution component video sources. There are 3 component video inputs and 1 component video output; each input and output has jacks labeled "Y", "Pb" and "Pr". The component video inputs and outputs have a bandwidth of 100MHz.
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): This technology uses low-negative-feedback circuit topology for accurate signal reproduction, improved dynamic signal-to-noise ratio, and better delivery of power peaks.
Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs): To decode and playback high-resolution recordings, this receiver is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit DACs.
Automatic Speaker Setup: With the supplied speaker setup microphone, the Automatic Speaker Setup function can measure the test tone output by each speaker and automatically determine the number of speakers connected, the crossover frequency, the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and so on. The supplied microphone is 1.961" in diameter, 0.897" tall, and has a 19.5' cable that plugs into the front of the receiver. There is a threaded insert on the bottom of the microphone so it can be mounted on a tripod for accurate listening position placement. If you wish to setup the speakers manually, you can follow the procedure for Speaker Configuration.
Speaker Distance: The distance from your listening position to each speaker can also be set manually. The speaker distance can be adjusted from 1 to 30 feet.
Double Bass: You can enhance the bass output by activating the Double Bass function. This function allows you to feed bass frequencies to the front left and right channels and to the subwoofer. Double Bass can be set only when the subwoofer is set to On, and the front speakers are set to Large.
Adjustable Crossover: This receiver has a built-in crossover for the speaker system. This setting is available when you tell the receiver that there is a subwoofer being used, or when you set any of your speakers to "Small." The frequencies that you can choose from are: 40, 60, 70, 80 (THX), 90, 100, 120, 150, and 200 Hz.
Equalizer: The built-in EQ can be set automatically using the Auto Speaker Setup or it can be set manually. Each channel is individually adjusted. Each full range channel (front, center, surround, and surround back) has five EQ bands; 80 Hz, 250 Hz, 800 Hz, 2.5 kHz, and 8 kHz. The subwoofer has three EQ bands; 40 Hz, 80 Hz, and 160 Hz. The range of adjustment runs from -6 dB to +6 dB in 1 dB increments.
XM Ready: Using an optional XM Mini Tuner, a Mini Tuner Home Dock, and an XM subscription, you can take advantage of the variety and sound quality of XM Satellite radio. XM offers over 170 digital channels of music, news, sports, and talk radio and even has weather and traffic information in several major markets. The channel number, channel name, artist name, song title, and category name are listed on the TX-SR703's display and on the connected TV monitor. XM stations are stored as presets and recalled in the same way as AM and FM stations.
iPod Compatible: The DS-A1 or DS-A2 Remote Interactive Dock for iPod (item #'s 580DSA1 and 580DSA2) provides an interface between an iPod digital media player and Onkyo TX-SR703. Once the iPod is docked you can control basic functions such as volume control, play, stop, and skip via the Onkyo system's RI-compatible wireless remote control. The dock also charges the battery in the iPod, and allows you to view digital photos and video on an Onkyo home theater system.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The TX-SR703 has 7 assignable digital inputs (5 optical/2 coaxial) allowing you to specify which input source is connected to which digital input jack.
7.1 Multi-Channel Input: The receiver is equipped with one set of 8 Channel RCA type inputs for use with outboard 5.1 and 7.1 channel decoders. There are RCA inputs for left front, right front, center, left surround, right surround, surround back left, surround back right and subwoofer signals.
Pure Audio: In this mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity reproduction.
Direct: In this mode, audio from the input source is output directly with minimal processing. All of the source's audio channels are output as they are.
Amplifier Assign: There are seven amplifier channels built into the receiver. These channels are typically used for 7.1 channel surround in the main room, but the amplifier assign function gives you the option of powering 5.1 channel surround in the main room and a pair if Zone 2 speakers elsewhere.
THX Surround Modes: The TX-SR703 allows you to choose from the following THX surround modes:
- THX Cinema: This mode carefully optimizes the tonal and spatial characteristics of the soundtrack for reproduction in the smaller home-theater environment. It can be used with 2-channel sources processed with other formats, and multichannel sources.
- THX Surround EX: This mode expands Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback. It's especially suited to Dolby Digital EX sources.
- THX Select2 Cinema: This mode expands Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1- channel sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback. It does this by analyzing the composition of the surround source and optimizing the ambient and directional sounds to produce the surround back channel output.
- THX Music Mode: This mode is designed for use with music. It expands Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback.
- THX Games Mode: This mode is designed for use with video games.
Combination Surround Modes: The receiver allows you to choose from the following combination surround modes:
- Dolby Digital + PLIIx Music: This mode uses the Pro Logic IIx Music mode to expand 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback.
- Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie: This mode uses the Pro Logic IIx Movie mode to expand 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sources for 7.1- channel playback.
- DTS + Neo:6: This mode uses Neo:6 to expand 5.1-channel DTS sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback.
- DTS + Dolby Digital EX: This mode expands 5.1-channel Dolby Digital and DTS sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback. It is especially suited to Dolby Digital EX soundtracks that include a matrix-encoded surround back channel.
- DTS + PLIIx Music: This mode uses the Pro Logic IIx Music mode to expand 5.1-channel DTS sources for 6.1/7.1-channel playback.
- DTS + PLIIx Movie: This mode uses the Pro Logic IIx Movie mode to expand 5.1-channel DTS sources for 7.1- channel playback.
Listening Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of listening modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The listening modes include:
- Pure Audio
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- DTS 96/24
- DTS Neo:6
- Dolby Digital + PLIIx Music
- Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie
- DTS + Neo:6
- DTS + Dolby Digital EX
- DTS + PLIIx Music
- DTS + PLIIx Movie
- THX Cinema
- THX Surround EX
- THX Select2 Cinema
- THX Music Mode
- THX Games Mode
- Onkyo Original DSP Modes
- TV Logic
- Mono Movie
- All Ch Stereo
- Full Mono
Re-Equalization Circuitry: Re-EQ (re-equalization) takes the edginess or "brightness" out of your home cinema sound to compensate for the fact that sound mixed for theaters may sound too bright when played back through speakers in the home environment. This can be set to either "On" or "Off."
Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High.
Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
A/V Sync: When the picture is not perfectly synchronized with the sound, this receiver can delay the audio from 0-250ms, in 0.1ms increments.
IntelliVolume Setup: The IntelliVolume setup function allows you set a volume correction value in the range of -12dB to +12dB, in 1dB increments, for each source to prevent large jumps in volume when switching from one source to another. This feature eliminates the inconvenience of manually readjusting the volume control each time you switch from a source with a weak signal to a source with a strong signal and vice versa.
Volume Setup: The receiver volume can be configured in the following ways:
- Maximum Volume: You can prevent the volume from being set too high by specifying a maximum level: 50-99.
- Power On Volume: You can specify the volume setting each time the receiver is turned on from 0 (minimum) to 100, or Last to use the same level that was used when the receiver was turned off.
- Headphones Level: You can set the headphone volume relative to the main volume. You can choose a level between -12dB and +12dB.
Sleep Function: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10-minute increments.
Display Dimmer: The display illumination includes the green alphanumeric display and a blue ring around the volume knob. You can dim the display as follows: Normal + Volume light on, Normal + Volume light off, Dim + Volume light off, and Dimmer + Volume light off.
Zone 2 Output: This feature allows you to enjoy one source in your main listening room, while another source plays in a remote room. Depending on how you configure the receiver, using the dual zone feature will require an amplifier and speakers, a set of powered speakers, or simply a set of non-powered speakers located in a remote location. You can connect the dedicated Zone 2 stereo RCA line outputs to a receiver/amplifier or powered speakers in a remote room while powering a 7.1-channel speaker system in the main room; the output level of the RCA line outs is fixed, so they must be connected to an amplifier or powered speakers equipped with a volume control. You can also connect a pair of speakers to the receiver's dedicated Zone 2 speaker terminals, and still power a 5.1-channel speaker system in the main room. When the Zone 2 speaker terminals are turned on, the Surround Back speaker outputs do not work. When the Zone 2 speaker terminals are off, the Surround Back speaker outputs work as normal. The Zone 2 speaker output volume setting can be controlled with the remote.
Multibrand/Learning Remote with Joy Stick Button: The supplied wireless remote is a multi-brand/learning remote. The remote is pre-programmed to operate Onkyo components. In addition, the remote is pre-programmed to operate other popular brands of equipment, including DVD players, CD players, TVs, VCRs, cable boxes, MD recorders/players, and satellite receivers. Also, the remote can learn up to 90 commands from infrared remotes of other brands of equipment. A joystick button simplifies menu navigation and doubles as an "enter" button.
Macros: Three macros can be programmed to perform a sequence of actions with just one button press. Each macro can perform up to 8 actions.
Headphone Output: This receiver has a standard 1/4" headphone output on the front panel. The speaker outputs, except for the Zone 2 speakers, are muted when headphones are plugged in.
Speaker Outputs: There are color-coded binding post connectors for the left front, right front, center, left surround, right surround, left surround back, and right surround back speakers. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. The Zone 2 left and right speakers are also binding posts.
XM: This proprietary jack is for use with an optional XM Mini Tuner Home dock.
IR Input: The IR input jack allows you to control the receiver without line-of-sight access by purchasing an optional IR remote control system and locating the remote sensor in sight. This offers control from Zone 2, or when the receiver is located in a closed cabinet.
RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to compatible Onkyo components.
12 Volt Trigger: This 1/8" mini-jack output can be connected to the 12-volt trigger input on a power amplifier in Zone 2. When Zone 2 is turned on, a 12-volt/100 milliamp (max) trigger signal is output.