About the Astro A40 TR Gen 4
Astro's best wired gaming headset
The Astro A40 TRs give you pro-level quality and control with the reliability of a wired connection.
Astro's best wired gaming headset
Astro has been making waves in the gaming community for years with the quality of their headphones. They're frequently a top pick for professional gamers, who need their gear to perform reliably at the highest levels of competition.
The "Tournament Ready" A40s are the best wired headphones that Astro offers, delivering powerful sound and long-lasting comfort. This edition features a striking blue and black design with speaker tags and a mic you can customize.
Consoles, computers, and phones...oh my!
The A40s use a simple minijack connection. This lets them hook right into your PC, most mobile devices, and the vast majority of gaming controllers on the market. They'll plug right into current and next-gen PlayStation and Xbox controllers, and most pro-style Nintendo Switch controllers.
If you play video games, chances are you'll be able to take advantage of the A40s.
Comfort for the long haul
The lightweight and ergonomic A40s fit snugly and securely without weighing down your head or feeling like a clamp. The earcups and padded headband are also super-soft and breathable, for comfort that can't be beat during extended gaming sessions.
Immersive, competitive sound
When I play Apex: Legends, the last thing I want is to be caught unawares while scrambling for the best loot. The soft ka-thunk of an enemy scaling a wall behind me or the pat-pat of their footsteps in the next room can tip me off to their location, letting me turn the tables instead of getting dropped like a steaming hot pocket.
The A40s have great imaging and sound directionality that pulls you into the game and improves your situational awareness. They're tuned to deliver detailed, accurate sound that feels lifelike and is easy to place in the game world.
- wired over-ear headphones with open-back design for a wide, natural soundstage
- 40mm drivers deliver powerful, detailed sound
- durable, ergonomic design with a secure fit
- earpads and headband are light and soft for maximum comfort during long play sessions
- Astro Audio V2 tuning delivers dynamic, lifelike audio with precise imaging and sound directionality
- adjustable, detachable boom mic
- speaker tags (black with blue accents) are detachable and can be swapped out to customize your headphones (alternate tags sold separately)
- can be customized with optional A40 Mod Kit for improved noise-isolation (sold separately)
- compatible with PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, PC, and Mac
General info and included accessories:
- 6.6-foot audio cable with in-line mute
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- PC requires Windows® 10, 8.1, 8, or 7
- 7-3/4"W x 8"H x 3-3/4"D (headset)
- weight: 13.4 oz. (headset)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 939-001663
What's in the box:
Astro A40 TR Gen 4 owner's manual
- Over-ear gaming headset for Playstation (black/blue accents)
- Microphone on 7" boom (with right-angle 3.5mm plug)
- 80" A40 audio cable with in-line mute (4-conductor 3.5mm plug on one end and 5-conductor 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 62" PC Splitter audio adapter (female 3.5mm jack-to-dual male 3.5mm plugs)
- Connection Guide
- Product Info card (Stop!)
- Important Safety Compliance and Warranty Information
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Astro A40 TR Gen 4
Overview: The Astro A40 TR Gen 4 (939-001663) premiere gaming headset is for professional gamers, including e-sports athletes, content creators, and live streamers. It is designed to work with Playstation (PS5/PS4), as well as PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and Mobile gaming systems. The "Tournament Ready" A40 TR over-ear headset puts you in the middle of the action with its pro audio quality. The Astro A40 TR comes with an 80" A40 stereo audio cable (3.5mm plug) with an in-line mute slider, and a 62" PC Splitter cable (single female-to-dual male 3.5mm adapter).
A40 TR Design: The Astro A40 TR is equipped with plush ear and headband cushions that are covered in soft cloth. The drivers are housed in an open-air ear cup that keeps you in touch with your surroundings. An optional A40 TR Mod Kit (sold separately by the manufacturer) lets you transform it into a closed-back, noise-isolating headset that helps you concentrate in loud tournament environments. A 6mm unidirectional, noise-canceling microphone is mounted on a 7" boom. The headphones weigh just over 13 ounces.
Drivers/Astro Audio V2: The headphones are equipped with dynamic 40mm Neodymium drivers that provide a dynamic gaming sound that puts you into the game. The headphones are tuned with Astro Audio V2 which smooths out the highs to prevent fatigue. Midrange frequencies are clear, and the bass is solid, but not distorted. Overall, Astro Audio V2 gives you a smooth, detailed gaming soundtrack the way it was intended to be heard.
Boom Microphone: The A40 TR includes a highly-sensitive 6mm uni-directional boom microphone that rejects background noise and focuses on your voice. The 7" curved boom swivels to let you put the microphone exactly where you want it. You can switch the boom from the left side to the right side, if desired.
Speaker Tags: The A40 TR includes standard Astro speaker tags (black with blue accents). Dozens of optional A40 TR speaker tags are available from the manufacturer, featuring artwork from featured games, brands, and content creators. You can even upload your own custom artwork to have speaker tags made. See the wide variety custom and designer tags for your A40 TR headset at astrogaming.com.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Nominal Impedance: 48 ohms
- THD: < 0.1%
- Earcup Dimensions (external): Width 3.573", Height 4.169", Depth 2.186"
- Earcup Dimensions (internal): Width 1.734", Height 2.2", Depth 0.925"
- Weight: 13.4 ounces (15.05 with cord)