About the Astro A40 TR Gen 3 + MixAmp Pro TR (Xbox®)
Astro's best wired gaming headset
The Astro A40 TRs give you professional level quality and control with the reliability of a wired connection.
Astro's best wired gaming headset
Astro has been making waves in the gaming community for years with the quality of their headphones. They're frequently a top pick for professional gamers, who need their gear to perform reliably at the highest levels of competition.
Going wired is often the best way to ensure uncompromised audio, free of lag or interference. And the "Tournament Ready" A40s are the best wired headphones that Astro offers. This version also comes with the powerful MixAmp Pro to give you full control over your audio levels. The A40s deliver powerful sound, clean communication, and long-lasting comfort.
Comfort for the long haul
The lightweight and ergonomic A40s fit snug and securely without weighing down your head or feeling like a clamp. The earcups and padded headband are also super soft and breathable, for comfort that can't be beat during extended gaming sessions.
Immersive, competitive sound
When I play Apex: Legends, the last thing I want is to be caught unawares while scrambling for the best loot. The soft ka-thunk of an enemy scaling a wall behind me or the pat-pat of their footsteps in the next room can tip me off to their location, letting me turn the tables instead of getting dropped like a steaming hot pocket.
The A40s have great imaging and sound directionality that pulls you into the game and improves your situational awareness. They're tuned to deliver detailed, accurate sound that feels lifelike and is easy to place in the game world.
The included MixAmp Pro helps you balance the game's audio with your team chat, for clear communication that doesn't sacrifice environmental sound cues.
Crystal clear communication
When your teammate tells you there's a sniper on the roof you'll want to hear that. But you also don't want your team's chatter to drown out environmental sounds that might tip you off to the sniper's buddy around the corner.
The MixAmp Pro lets you do both. Easy-to-use dials allow you to balance the game's soundtrack with the incoming chat independently of the master volume.
Firsthand listening impressions
First off, when I say Astro's headphones are comfortable, that's an understatement. The A40s have the same overall build as their wireless sibling the A50s, so they're one of the most comfortable pairs of headphones I've ever worn. The earcups are ultra-soft and practically disappear after you've had them on for a bit.
The A40s delivered a rich, detailed sound that sucked me straight into the game. The controls on the MixAmp also made it super easy to balance out communication with my friends. The dials provided quick, tactile feedback that allowed me to adjust my audio on the fly. When we played The Hunt, I could still hear them clearly without losing cues from the environment. It was the best of both worlds.
The details add up
I tested several of my current go-to titles and was impressed with the level of detail and directionality I got from the headphones. Their performance is effectively equivalent to the A50s, which is to say "awesome." Especially with Dolby® activated, the three-dimensional space of the game really shines. I was drawn into the eerie, unsettling soundscape of Control during quiet moments and grabbed by the chest when the fighting started. I could pinpoint the crackle and scrape of objects as I telekinetically snatched them. When I slammed those tables and extinguishers into my otherworldly enemies, I felt a deep rumbling ka-thoom that ended with a cascading clatter of debris. The game world felt alive and responsive.
I found myself playing a little closer to my screen than usual due to the wired connection, but it was an easy adjustment to make. I don't think the wires will be much of a complication for competitive players who already sit pretty close to their rig. The wired connection is also super-reliable. The chance of your audio cutting out is virtually nonexistent, and the benefit of the MixAmp at this price point can't be overstated.
Get your settings on target
To get the best performance out of the A40s, I needed to make some quick adjustments to my console settings. You'll want to connect the optical cable and the USB on the MixAmp to your console. From there, you need to make sure the audio output is set to "optical" and your headphones are "chat only." It seems counterintuitive, but this ensures the chat and the game audio are split up. This gives you the best audio performance and allows the MixAmp to work like intended. Without taking these steps, you won't be able properly balance your game/voice levels or gain the full benefit of the headphones.
I was on the PS4, so your experience may be a pinch different if you're on a PC or Xbox.
3D audio supported
The MixAmp supports decoding for Dolby® audio decoding for an extra edge, adding depth and clarity to the soundscape for a truly cinematic experience. If you're playing on PC, both Windows® Sonic and Dolby Atmos® are supported too, further expanding the game world's sense of space and directionality.
Fine tune your sound with Astro Command
If you're playing on PC or Mac, you can dial in your sound with Astro Command. This optional downloadable software lets you manually tweak the little details of your game audio and voice communication to get them just where you want them.
- wired over-ear headphones with open back design for a wide, natural soundstage
- 40mm drivers deliver powerful, detailed sound
- durable, ergonomic design with a secure fit
- earpads and headband are light and soft for maximum comfort during long play sessions
- Astro Audio V2 tuning delivers dynamic, lifelike audio with precise imaging and sound directionality
- support for Dolby Audio sound processing provides full cinematic audio with enhanced clarity and localization
- Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos are supported on PC for heightened 3D audio performance
- Astro Command Center downloadable software lets you optimize your game audio and voice communication settings
- compatible with Windows® 10 and Mac
- flexible, detachable boom mic
- speaker tags are detachable and can be swapped out to customize your headphones (alternate mics sold separately)
- can be customized with optional A40 Mod Kit for improved noise-isolation (sold separately)
- compatible with Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PC, and Mac
- MixAmp provides optimized game/voice balance and reliable voice communication
- easy-to-use dials let you adjust game and voice levels independently of the master volume
- optical digital audio input
- auxiliary 3.5mm input
- Micro-USB input
- line out streaming port
- compatibility with optional USB sound cards (sold separately) gives you additional game/voice balancing and streaming options on PC
General info and included accessories:
- 6.5-foot in-line "mute" cable (3.5mm)
- 9.8-foot Micro-USB cable
- 9.8-foot optical digital audio cable
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- PC requires Windows 10, 8.1, 8, or 7
- 7-3/4"W x 8"H x 3-3/4"D (headset); 5-3/8"W x 1-1/2"H x 3-1/8"D (MixAmp)
- weight: 13 oz. (headset); 10.4 oz. (MixAmp)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 939-001658
What's in the box:
- Over-ear gaming headset
- Microphone on 7" boom (with right-angle 3.5mm plug)
- MixAmp Pro TR
- 10' Optical cable
- 23" Daisy chain cable
- 80" Audio cable (multi-band 3.5mm plugs on each end)
- 10' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Product Info card (Stop!)
- Important Safety Compliance and Warranty Information
- Dolby Atmos for headphones promo card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Astro A40 TR Gen 3 + MixAmp Pro TR (Xbox®)
Overview: The Astro A40 TR + MixAmp Pro TR bundle includes a premiere gaming headset, and an audio controller/mixer that enhances the gaming experience with realistic, high-fidelity game sounds. The A40 TR over-ear headset puts you in the middle of the action with its pro audio quality. The MixAmp Pro TR works with Xbox and PC, and features Dolby Audio processing that provides lag-free audio and voice communication. The Astro A40 TR + MixAmp Pro TR bundle comes with optical digital, daisy chain, audio, and USB cables.
A40 TR Design: The Astro A40 TR is equipped with plush ear and headband cushions that are covered in soft cloth. The drivers are housed in an open-air ear cup, and deliver pro quality audio. An optional Mod Kit lets you transform the A40 TR into a closed-back, noise-isolating headset (sold separately by the manufacturer). The 6mm unidirectional, noise-canceling microphone on the 7" boom plugs into the left earcup. The headphones weigh just over 13 ounces.
Drivers/Astro Audio V2: The headphones are equipped with 40mm Neodymium drivers that provide a dynamic gaming sound that puts you into the game. The headphones are tuned with Astro Audio V2 which smooths out the highs to prevent fatigue. Midrange frequencies are clear, and the bass is solid, but not distorted. Overall, Astro Audio V2 gives you a smooth, detailed gaming soundtrack.
Swappable Components: The A40 TR gaming headphone's magnetic earcup covers can be removed to allow you to personalize your headset. You can purchase special editions or design your own using the Speaker Tag Customizer on the Astro Gaming website. The boom microphone can also be removed for personalization, or to replace it with a new one.
MixAmp Pro TR: The MixAmp Pro TR for Xbox and PC is designed for professional gamers, content creators, and game developers. It features 2-channel Dolby Digital surround sound processing and delivers your game sounds and voice communication without lag time or interference. Audio inputs include optical digital (Toslink), Micro USB for game and voice audio, and a 3.5mm aux input. Two digital daisy chain ports are provided for connecting multiple units together. Two large rotary controls on the top panel let you control the overall volume of the game audio, and balance the ratio between the voice audio and game audio in the headset. Between the dials are the Dolby/Source Audio and EQ Mode buttons. On the back panel, there is a 2-way switch for selecting Xbox or PC platforms.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Nominal Impedance: 48 ohms
- THD: < 0.1%
- Earcup Dimensions (external): Width 3.55", Height 4.135", Depth 2.17"
- Earcup Dimensions (internal): Width 1.734", Height 2.2", Depth 0.925"
- Weight: 13.1 ounces
- MixAmp Pro TR:
- Line Out Frequency Response: 20Hz-24kHz
- USB Game and Voice Frequency Response: 20Hz-8kHz
- Audio Output: 100dB SPL
- THD: < 0.05%
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >70dB
- Game Audio Sampling Rate: 48kHz 16-bit
- Chat Audio Fidelity: 16kHz 16-bit
- Dimensions: Width 5.437", Height 1.664", Depth 3.175"
- Weight: 10.5 ounces