About the Jaybird Vista
Made by runners and athletes, for runners and athletes
Jay is Crutchfield's director of internet market and an avid runner. He's also a big fan of the Jaybird Vista's fit, sound, and stability.
Made by runners and athletes, for runners and athletes
When I received a test sample of the Jaybird Vista true wireless sports earbuds, I immediately thought of a specific coworker — Jay, Crutchfield's director of internet marketing. Jay is serious about running. Really serious. His office walls are covered floor to ceiling with race bibs and numbers from long-distance running events all over the country. "And I usually do about 30 miles a week on the treadmill, wearing Jaybird earbuds," he told me. "I've tested dozens of sport headphones and Jaybird continues to be my go-to brand."
So I had to get these durable, waterproof headphones in his hand. The 100% cord-free Vista earbuds play music wirelessly via Bluetooth. Jaybird says they developed the built-in state-of-the-art wireless chipset to deliver a stronger signal and better battery performance. You get up to six hours of wireless music listening on a full charge — enough for even the most intense workouts.
Jaybird's signature secure fit
One reason Jay keeps choosing Jaybird? The company's stay-put design. "I've been a fan of Jaybird headphones since I purchased the original Freedom model over a decade ago," he said. "I find their earbuds stay in place better than any other sports headphones."
The Jaybird Vista's lightweight case banks 10 hours of power to wirelessly recharge the earbuds. (A 5-minute "Quick Charge" provides enough power for 1 hour of listening.)
The Vista headphones include three sizes of soft-gel silicone ear tips to ensure you find a comfortable fit. Two of the pairs come with Jaybird's signature flexible "fins" that help further secure them. But I personally used the smallest size, which doesn't include the fins, and the earbuds still didn't seem to move around at all.
Finding a good fit is important for several reasons. First the most obvious — it is really annoying to deal with earbuds moving around, particularly when you're hyper-focused on running. "But also, you need a tight seal for solid bass," said Jay. "So many sports earbuds start out sounding fine, but as you sweat, they move around and you lose something in the low end. Jaybirds just seem to stay in place, so you get the full effect of the bass response."
And the Jaybird Vista headphones deliver the deepest, hardest-hitting bass I've heard from a set of true wireless earbuds. It kind of defies conventional logic, because the Vista earbuds are also some of the smallest headphones I've ever tried. Yet the bass hits with the force and control you'd expect from a solid pair of wired earbuds, driven by a separate headphone amp.
More on Jaybird's new Bluetooth chip
Jay owns and regularly uses the original Jaybird RUN, the company's first-generation true wireless headphones. So he was in a good position to compare and contrast those headphones with the Vistas. Jay often catches up on Netflix shows while he's putting in work on the treadmill.
"I tested [the Vista earbuds] with my TV's Bluetooth transmitter, and the performance was much better," he said. "I had just learned to live with a delay between video and audio when using the RUN earbuds. The audio response time is significantly better."
This is another advantage of Jaybird's new chipset. The company made a conscious effort to cut down on distracting latency, and to prevent audio dropouts. Jay said that he never had a problem with Jaybird's MySound app recognizing the Vista. "That is something that happens from time to time with the RUN," said Jay. "So I'm glad that Jaybird fixed that."
Jaybird's MySound mobile app lets you choose from existing audio profiles or dial in the EQ yourself.
Adjust the sound and find lost earbuds with the MySound app
The out-of-the-box sound is fun and energetic. But I definitely recommend downloading the Jaybird MySound app to your iPhone® or Android™ device, if you purchase these headphones. It makes the pairing process much easier, and allows you to adjust the sound of the Vista earbuds.
You can dial in the EQ manually or choose from existing audio profiles. My personal favorite sound profile is the popular user-created "Hi Def Audio." It helps reveal some top-end detail, underscored by that scrumptious, punchy bass.
And if you happen to misplace or drop one of the earbuds? The MySound app has a "Find my Buds" feature that will track them down using your phone's GPS.
- 100% wire-free, waterproof headphones
- no connecting cord between left and right earbuds
- 6mm dynamic drivers for low-distortion sound with deep, punchy bass
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- one-button control for Bluetooth pairing, music playback, and calls
- proprietary Bluetooth chip for stronger, more stable connection
- each earbud can make a strong, independent Bluetooth connection to your phone or audio device
- reduced latency for better sync between audio and video
- 3 sizes of silicone soft-gel ear tips for a customized, comfortable fit
- 2 pairs feature built-in "fins" help further stabilize the earbuds
- IPX7-rated waterproof
- double hydrophobic nano protective enclosure
- meets U.S. military MIL-STD 810G rugged compliant standards
- certification includes repeated shock, drop, and crush tests and extended exposure to severe weather conditions
- free Jaybird app for Apple® and Android lets you adjust settings and customize the sound
- use the app's "Find My Buds" feature to track down a lost earbud
Charging case, battery, and general info:
- built-in rechargeable batteries offers 6 hours of listening
- carrying case banks up to 10 hours of power to charge the headphones on the go
- compact, splash-proof silicone case
- 5-minute "Quick Charge" provides enough power for 1 hour of listening
- USB-C cable included for charging case
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 103 dB
- case dimensions: 2-15/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 1"D
- earbud dimensions: 7/8"W x 15/16"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 0.48 ounces (both earbuds)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 985-000985
What's in the box:
- Left and right ear buds (Planetary Green)
- 3 Pairs of Secure-Fit eargels (1 pair installed)
- Charging case
- 12" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Safe Listening guidelines
Jaybird Vista reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jaybird Vista
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.798" x 0.615"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Jaybird Vista True Wireless Sport Headphones give you the freedom to run, walk, workout, or just listen to music without having to worry about wires. They feature #EARTHPROOF construction that meet and surpass military standards for shock, dust, water, and sweat resistance, so they'll withstand anything you can throw at them. Vista ear buds are two totally separate units that fit into your ears securely and comfortably with no connecting cables between them. With Bluetooth 5.0 and upgraded batteries, the Vista ear buds give you 6 hours of playback time, plus an additional 10 hours of reserve power in the charging case. The headphones come with a hard shell charging case, a USB-C charging cable, and three pairs of ear gels. The ear buds weigh approximately 0.25 ounces each (with ear gels).
#EARTHPROOF: Jaybird Vista wireless headphones feature #EARTHPROOF rugged construction that meets MIL-STD 810G standards. The headphones have been tested (and passed) shock, vibration, drop, and crush tests, as well as extended exposure to tropical humidity, hurricane-force water, and desert sandstorms. Vista meets the following standards:
- IPX7: The headphones have received the IPX7 fully-waterproof and sweatproof rating.
- Sweat/Salt: Vista is designed to endure 24 hours of continuous exposure in a salt water environment.
- Humidity: The headphones are made to function in a continuous high-humidity environment.
- Wind/Rain: Vista can withstand a rainstorm at 40 MPH.
- Sand/Dust: The headphones are very resistant to dirt, sand, and dust.
- Drop/Crush: Vista survived 150 drops from a height of 48", and is sturdy enough to resist crushing.
Inspired by Athletes: Jaybird Vista Sport Headphones are designed and built for runners, bikers, climbers, skiers, snowboarders, and other athletes. As athletes themselves, the designers know how much listening to their favorite music enhances their performance. They also realized that in-ear headphones with long dangling wires were a distraction because they were always getting snagged. Their goal was to create a truly wireless, secure-fitting sport headphone that would withstand bad weather and sweat.
Operation: The Jaybird Vista ear buds connect to your mobile device via Bluetooth (Version 5.0), with Handsfree, Headset, A2DP, AVCRP, and SPP profiles. You can use one (either left or right) or both ear buds to connect to your audio device. They can be powered on and off automatically (by removing them or placing them in the charging case). Basic functions, such as play/pause, skip to next song, and accept/end/decline a call are performed by a single or double press of either ear bud. In the Jaybird App, you can customize other single/double press functions, if desired. For best results, you should carry your Bluetooth device at your side on an armband, belt clip, or in a pocket.
Ear Gels: The Vista True Wireless ear buds come with three sizes of ear gels (labeled 1, 2, and 3) which include both the ear tip and an ear fin for a secure fit. The right selection of ear gels will provide the proper seal inside the ear canal which enhances the sound of your music while blocking unwanted external noise. The proper fit gives you hours of comfort that makes you forget you're wearing them.
Power: The Jaybird Vista True Wireless Sport Headphones are powered by 3.6-volt Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries that provide over 6 hours of play time on a full charge. The buds start charging each time you place them into the hard shell charging case and close the lid. When exhausted, the ear buds fully charge in approximately 2 hours. A 5-minute quick charge will provide up to 1 hour of play time. To save battery power, the ear buds turn off automatically after 30 minutes of non-use. The charging case contains its own rechargeable battery which gives you an additional 10 hours of additional play time. The case charges in approximately 3.5 hours via the included USB-C charging cable (5V 1A). An LED on the charging case allows you to check the charge status.
Jaybird MySound App: The Jaybird MySound app allows you to customize the EQ settings of your Vista headphones, and helps you to find new music for your workout. You can choose from customized presets created by the Jaybird design team, and by many of the Jaybird athletes. Sound profiles from other app users are also available to try out, or you can create and share your own custom EQ settings. A Running Music feature lets you listen to and save music playlists from other users, and share your own Spotify playlists. The Jaybird MySound app also lets you customize the functionality of the buttons on your Vista headphones, and keep them up-to-date with firmware updates when they become available. If you lose your ear buds, a Find Your Buds feature helps you to locate them again. The Jaybird MySound app is compatible with iOS (11.0 or later) and Android (5.0 and up) devices, as well and Mac and Windows.
- Driver Size: 6mm
- Bluetooth Version: 5.0
- Codec: Bluetooth SBC
- Effective Range: 33 feet (10 meters)
- Audio Format: 16-bit stereo
- Response Bandwidth: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Impedance: 23 ohms (+/- 15% at 1kHz)
- Speaker Sensitivity: 103.5dB (+/- 1.5dB at 1kHz)
- Output Power: 12 mW RMS (with level limit)
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 3% (1kHz, 1mW)
- Playback Time: 6 hours
- Reserve Playback Time (in Charging Case): 10 hours
- Charging Time:
- Ear Buds: 2 hours
- Charging Case: 3.5 hours
- Ear Buds: Width 0.798", Height 0.615", Depth 0.804"
- Charging Case: Width 2.9", Height 0.953", Depth 1.429"
- Ear Buds: 0.48 ounces total
- Charging Case: 1.2 ounces (empty)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked