About the NOCO GEN2
Built to take it
Built to take it
Many 12-volt applications require greater protection against dust and water than standard chargers offer. In particular, marine, ATV, and industrial uses demand a rugged solution. NOCO's GEN2 charger has earned an IP68 rating, which means it's totally waterproof and saltwater-tested for corrosion resistance. Its rugged shock- and vibration-resistant construction provides the durability you need in these demanding applications.
The NOCO GEN2 is a 20-amp charger (10A per bank) that charges regular and deep-cycle batteries up to 230Ah, with two banks that allow you to charge two devices simultaneously. Its internal microcomputer monitors charge level so you get a complete charge with no risk of overcharging. When battery sulfation is detected, the charger's Recovery function applies a high-voltage/low-current charge that converts the sulfated material to active material, renewing the battery. And its built-in spark-proof and reverse-polarity protection helps insure against the risk of fire.
The GEN2's small size gives you plenty of options for installation space, and it mounts directly onto a boat or trailer, so you can place the charger as close as you like to the battery. Its six-foot AC and DC cords give you slack if you need to place the charger a little farther away. This little problem-solver will bring the juice you need right to the place you need it.
- 2-bank battery charger
- output currrent: 20A (10A per bank)
- charges batteries up to 230Ah
- IP68 rated: dust- and water-proof
- maintains charge at normal level indefinitely without over-charging
- dimensions: 7"L x 5-7/8"W x 3-1/8"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GEN2
What's in the box:
- Onboard battery charger (attached 6' AC power cord and two 6' eyeylet connector cables)
- 2 15A fuses (pre-installed)
- 4 Screws
- User Guide
- Warranty Information
More details on the NOCO GEN2
Onboard Battery Charger (2 Banks/20 Amp): The Noco Genius GEN2 is an Onboard Battery Charger for charging and maintaining a single 12-volt Marine, Starter or Deep-Cycle battery. Its waterproof, shock and vibration resistant rugged design can be mounted directly onto a variety of applications - including a boat, trolling motor or generator, as well as, a full range of electric vehicles and industrial equipment. It monitors battery activity for safe, fast and efficient charging of Wet, Gel, AGM and Maintenance Free batteries without the worry of overcharging. And its one of the most advanced charging systems designed for improved battery performance and longevity.
Compatible Battery Types: The GEN Mini Series Onboard Battery Charger is suitable for charging all types of 12V lead-acid batteries - including Wet Cell (Flooded), Gel Cell, Calcium, AGM, Enhanced Flooded Battery or any Maintenance-Free Batteries. The GEN Mini Series Onboard Battery Charger can be used on battery sizes up to 230Ah, and can also maintain all battery sizes.
Protection Circuitry: The GEN2 is a non-igniting and temperature controlled onboard battery charger for safe and worry-free operation. It conforms to UL 1236 marine ignition protection and is ignition protected in accordance with USCG-33 CFR183.410 requirements. Its built-in redundant levels of safety protection protect against adverse and abnormal conditions - like reverse polarity, sparks, overcharging, over-current, open circuits, short circuits and overheating.
Ultra-Rugged Construction: The GEN2 is a 100% completely sealed waterproof onboard battery charger and is fully submersible. Its designed to operate in extreme conditions with a waterproof, shock, and vibration resistant rugged construction, as well as, saltwater tested to combat corrosion. The GEN2 is built to last and is backed by a 5 Year Warranty.
Efficient, Compact Design: A mix of electrical engineering & industrial design create a powerful, yet space-efficient charger that can easily mount almost anywhere in your boat or equipment. It uses high-frequency switch-mode technology to efficiency convert A/C power into safe D/C power for battery charging. And it's onboard microcomputer precisely controls the charging to minimize power loss to create an incredibly compact form factor.
8 Charging Steps: The GEN2 goes through 8 charging steps -
- Analyze & Diagnose (Steps 1/2): Checks the battery's initial condition, including voltage, state-of-charge and health, to determine if the battery is stable before charging.
- Recovery & Initialize (Step 3/4): Initializes the Recovery desulfation process (if needed) for deeply discharged or sulfated batteries by pulsing small amounts of current. Initialization starts the charging process with a gentle (soft) charge.
- Bulk & Absorption (Steps 5/6):Begins the Bulk charging process based on the condition of the battery and returns 80% of the battery's capacity. Absorption brings the charge level to 90% by delivering small amounts of current to provide a safe, efficient charge; this limits battery gassing and is essential to prolonging battery life.
- Optimization (Step 7): Finalizes the charging process and brings the battery to maximum capacity. In this step, the charger utilizes multi-layered charging profiles to fully recapture capacity and optimize the specific gravity of the battery for increased run time and performance. The charger will switch to Maintenance if the battery tells the charger that more current is needed.
- Maintenance (Step 8): Continuously monitors the battery to determine when a maintenance charge should be initiated. If the battery voltage falls below its target threshold, the charger will restart the Maintenance cycle until voltage reaches its optimal state and then discontinues the charge cycle. The cycle between Optimization and Maintenance is repeated indefinitely to keep the battery at full charge. The battery charger can be safely left connected indefinitely without the risk of overcharging.
Charging Times: The time required for the GEN Mini Series to charge a normally discharged battery is shown below. Deeply discharged batteries may take longer to charge depending on the depth of discharge (DOD). The charge time is based on an average depth of discharge to a fully charged battery.
Battery Size (Ah) Approximate Time to Charge (Hours) 25 1.3 50 2.5 60 3.0 70 3.5 80 4.0 90 4.5 100 5.0 125 6.3 150 7.5 200 10.0 230 11.5
Note: The above table is for reference purposes only. Actual data may differ due to battery conditions. The time required to charge a normally discharged battery is based on an average DOD of 50%.
LED Indicators: Each bank of the GEN2 contains two LEDs (a "Charge" LED and an "Error" LED). The "Charge" LED indicates the charging process (Red when charging / Green when charged), while the "Error" LED displays a Reverse Polarity or Error Condition.
Mounting & Installation: The GEN2 has four external holes for mounting (screws included). It is important to keep in mind the distance to the battery. The GEN2 is outfitted with an attached 6' AC power cord and two 6' DC cables. The AC power cord is terminated by a two-prong AC plug, while the 6' DC cables are terminated by power & ground eyelets (3/8").
Optional AC Port Plug: Noco's GCP1 (598GCP1, sold separately) is an AC Port Plug with an integrated 16" extension cord that offers optimal flexibility and ease of installation. It can mount to the exterior of any boat, vehicle or equipment to make the charging port accessible in a more convenient location. Quickly plug-n-play with any extension cord and requires zero cable modifications or hand wiring. Rated for use at 13-amps, 125-volts, and UL certified. Fits into any standard 2" hole size.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?