About the Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
Get smart with your energy usage
The free WeMo app lets you monitor and control anything plugged into the Insight Switch.
Get smart with your energy usage
The WeMo Insight Switch offers a simple way to automate lighting and appliances in your home, along with smart energy management. When you plug a device — your window A/C unit for instance — into the Insight Switch, you'll be able to monitor how much energy the appliance is using every day. Belkin's free, downloadable WeMo app keeps you connected and in control of energy usage in your home. You can set the coffee maker to turn on a few minutes before you get up in the morning, and turn it off from the office if you remember that you left a pot on the burner.
The WeMo app offers detailed control
The WeMo app is a free download that allows you to set up specific instructions for any appliances you've connected to your WeMo system. You can set a rule that turns a light on when motion is detected, but restrict that rule to the evening hours, so you don't have to feel around for a light switch when returning home after dark. You can also set vacation timers that turn switches on and off according to any schedule you choose, so it looks like you're home. The app gives you flexible remote control over any devices you connect to a WeMo product. And the system is modular — you can add more switches to control devices in different areas of your home.
"If this, then that" (IFTTT) functionality
IFTTT is a free online tool that links your favorite apps, social networks, and web services in order to create customizable "If this, then that" sequences, known as "recipes." To create a recipe, you just define what "x" event leads to which "y" event. For instance, you can set a light to go on at sunset so you're never entering your home in the dark. Or, when motion is detected in your home's front hallway (using the WeMo Switch + Motion, sold separately), the system can send a photo of the scene and a text alert to your mobile phone. The possibilities for automating and monitoring your home are wide open.
- offers wireless control of a device plugged into the switch's AC outlet
- uses your home Wi-Fi® network
- modular system allows you to add more WeMo switches for easy system expansion
- free WeMo app gives you control via Android™ and Apple devices with iOS® 5 or higher (not included)
- lets you monitor energy usage for connected appliances via your tablet or smartphone
- create customizable "If this, then that" sequences
- create rules for lights and appliances to power on or off at specific times
- can be programmed with customized alerts
- can notify you instantly if home electronics have been left on and allows you to turn them off remotely
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # F7C029fc
What's in the box:
- Insight Switch
- Quick Install Guide
- " Information To User" sheet
Belkin WeMo Insight Switch reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
Insight Switch: The WiFi enabled WeMo Insight Switch from Belkin, along with the WeMo App from Apple iOS or Android device, connects your home appliances and electronic devices to your home's wireless WiFi network, allowing you to turn devices On/Off, program customized notifications, plus monitor device status and energy usage from inside or outside the home using your smartphone or tablet device. One of WeMo Insight's unique features is power monitoring; with this feature you can track average electricity usage by a plugged-in device and the duration of its usage, plus operating cost. The WeMo Insight helps keep your home energy bills low by allowing you to set schedules, monitor energy usage on appliances and electronics, plus find out which devices are used most often. WeMo can also notify you instantly if home electronics have been left on and you can choose to either leave them on or turn them off from anywhere.
Note: The Insight Switch is completely modular, allowing you to control as much or as little of your house as you like. You can add additional WeMo Insight Switches or other WeMo products (sold separately) to provide control of more areas of your home.
WeMo Collection: The WeMo Insight Switch is part of Belkin's WeMo home automation system. The WeMo collection of products are designed to work together via the free WeMo App so that you control and monitor as much or as little of your home as you like. You can easily add additional WeMo products including Smart LED Bulbs, WeMo Switch + Motion Kit, WeMo Light Switch, or more WeMo Insight Switches (all sold separately) at any time to any room to control and monitor multiple devices or appliances. The number of WeMo products you can control depends on the number of wireless devices your wireless router can support.
Network Requirements: WeMo operates via your home's wireless network over WiFi and is compatible with 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz wireless networks. It also supports WPA, WPA2, and WEP securities. The wireless range of the WeMo home automation system will be dependent on your home's wireless network, but can reach up to 300'. The WeMo system can be controlled inside or outside of the home.
- Inside The Home: WeMo uses your home network to create its own "WeMo network". Using the free WeMo app on your Apple iOS/Android device, you can control your WeMo system from anywhere in your home. You can easily control multiple WeMo units from one device or different mobile devices running the WeMo app.
- Outside The Home: Remote Access is automatically enabled when you set up system WeMo system, as long as the network you are using has an Internet connection. With remote access enabled, you can control the WeMos system from anywhere your iOS or Android device has an Internet connection. This includes other WiFi networks or your 3G/4G mobile connection. When the WeMo App is launched outside your home, the App contacts the Belkin cloud, the cloud redirects the phone's request to the appropriate WeMo unit(s), and then you can see and control all of your WeMo devices.
Note: Internet connection issues will not affect rules & schedules that are stored on the WeMo; it will only affect remote access from your smartphone or tablet. Meaning, the rules & schedules that you have set up will still function in your local network. However, if your home's wireless network is down, the WeMo's preconfigured rules & schedules will not function.
Simple Installation & Operation: The Belkin WeMo Insight Switch doesn't require any custom installation or expensive hard wiring. All you need is the WeMo Insight Switch, a WiFi network connected to the Internet, the free WeMo App on your Apple iOS/Android device, a free AC outlet, and the electronic device you want to turn On/Off. Your appliance or electronic device should be plugged directly into the WeMo Insight Switch, and not through a surge protector or power switch.
Appliance & Electronic Device Compatibility: You can essentially control almost any appliance or electronic device via Belkin's WeMo Insight Switch. It could be a lamp, a fan, a coffee-maker, a heater, or a stereo. Some devices such as televisions or air conditioners, will not automatically turn back On when WeMo is turned On. This is because these devices have a different type of power switch. There are two types of power switches - Digital and Mechanical.
- Devices such as lamps and fans normally have mechanical power switches, meaning they are either On or Off.
- Televisions and other devices that use remotes or push button controls with digital displays have digital switches; devices like this are either On or in Standby.
Note: If you plug your television into WeMo and turn the WeMo Off, it will remove power from the television, turning it Off in the process. If you try to turn your television back On with its remote control, it will not turn On as it has no power going to it. When you turn the WeMo on, it supplies power back to your television, which will then go into Standby. You will then need to use its remote to turn it back On.
WeMo App (for Apple iOS & Android): Download the free WeMo App (from the Apple App Store or Google Play) onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to setup the WeMo Insight Switch and control any electronic device which is plugged into the WeMo system. From the app, you can manage all your WeMo devices, set rules and schedules, as well as monitor usage. The WeMo App and system supports up to six mobile devices on the same local network.
- Management: You are able to view all of your WeMo device and manage them from the WeMo app on your smartphone or tablet device. Once you have selected a WeMo device, you can manually turn its connected appliance or electronic device On or Off.
- Rules & Schedules: The WeMo app allows you to create
and manage Rules & Schedules for your WeMo devices and connected appliances
or electronic devices. There are a variety of different types of Rules &
Schedules to choose from.
- Turn Off/Off: You can select a particular time for an appliance or electronic device to turn On and Off. For example, set the coffee-maker to automatically turn Off at 11am, or a lamp to automatically turn On at exactly 5pm.
- Turn On Until: This allows you to turn your devices On and Off according to your schedule. For example, you can set your bedroom lamp to be on from 5pm to 10pm.
- Sunrise/Sunset: You can create Sunrise and Sunset times for your area, so that you can set multiple devices to turn On or Off at these selected times everyday.
- Away Mode: Away Mode turns your WeMo devices On and Off at different times to appear as if you are at home. We WeMo devices will turn On and Off randomly, staying on at least 30minutes each time, for the duration of the rule.
- Monitoring: The WeMo Insight also
has the unique feature of tracking the electricity usage of devices plugged
into your WeMo Insight. The WeMo Insight Switch will monitor your
electronics and will send information about the device's energy usage
directly to the WeMo App and your email on your Apple iOS or Android mobile
- Cost: Get an estimate on how much your connected appliance or electronic device costs per day or per month. The first 12 hours cost is calculated instantaneously, so as the power consumption of the connected device changes, the cost will update in real-time. After the first 12 hours, the total power consumed over 14 days is used to calculate the cost to run the device for a month. The WeMo Insight Switch, itself, uses less than 1.5 watts.
- Time On/Time Off: Detects device plugged into the Insight Switch and displays how long the device has currently been turned On for, or how long the device was turned On for the last time it was used. It will also display how long its been since the device has been turned On or how long its been Off.
- Power Consumption: You are able to view the current watts being consumed by your connected electronic or appliance device. The WeMo Insight Switch also takes the average power consumption of your connected electronic device. The purpose is to give you an idea of how much power your connected device consumes when it is On. This is very helpful for a device that fluctuates a lot. For example, an LED-LCD TV may vary between 100-200 watts when On; the Insight Switch can calculate the average (which is approximately 100 Watts).
- Power Sensing: The Power Sensing feature detects when a connected device is On, Off, or how long a device has been turned on (1min.-24hrs.). You then are automatically sent notifications via email every 5-30mins, 1-12hrs, or Daily.
- Data Export: You can choose to export the monitoring data manually or automatically Daily, Weekly, or Monthly) to your email on your smartphone or tablet. *The WeMo Insight Switch captures up to 45 days of data and export data is backed up every 30 minutes. This means that you could lose only up to 30 minutes of data at most when you export the WeMo Insight's log via email.
Note: If you want to set up another WeMo automation system in a second home with remote access, you will need to set it up with a different mobile device aside from the one you used to set up the WeMo system in your first home. For example, if you used your iPhone to set up the WeMo devices in your home, you would need to use another mobile device, like your iPad or Android smartphone/tablet to set up the second WeMo system in your other home.
IFTTT: If This Then That (IFTTT) is a service that allows you to combine different online services together. By integrating WeMo with IFTTT, WeMo can be triggered by a variety of online services including, email, weather, phone calls, Twitter, Facebook, and many more. Example of using WeMo and IFTTT.
- Email Notification: When you receive an email, the lamp connected to your WeMo Insight Switch turns On to notify you of the email so you will not miss important emails while doing other things.
- Auto Facebook Status: You can inform you Facebook friends with your activities through a status update that will be automatically posted once a device that is connected to the Insight Switch is turned On. For example, when you turn on your TV that is connected to the Insight Switch, an automatic Facebook post is created to let your friends know that you are settled in for the night watching TV.
- Auto Twitter Updates: You can use WeMo and IFTTT to help you send updates to your followers on Twitter. For example, when you turn on your radio that is plugged into the WeMo Insight Switch, an automatic Twitter update can be sent to from your smartphone or tablet, so you can let your followers know that you are listening to some great tunes.