About the Belkin Wemo WiFi Smart Outdoor Plug
App control for your outdoor lights
App control for your outdoor lights
One of my favorite uses for smart plugs is for seasonal lights. I have several strands of festive lights (pumpkins, currently) that I use to add a little joy to my entryway. They are easy to schedule and control thanks to my Wemo plug. Now Wemo has a great option for outdoor lights, too. This durable and weather-resistant WiFi Smart Outdoor Plug provides two outlets that can be controlled together using single outdoor AC outlet.
That means almost any outdoor devices or lighting can be powered up or down easily with the Wemo mobile app, even if you're across town at the office. And the plug connects directly to your Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to purchase and set up a separate control hub to use it.
If you use your connected devices on a pretty predictable schedule, you can create "rules" in the app to turn them on and off every day. You can also go completely unpredictable by activating "Away" mode in the app. This will turn connected lights on and off at random intervals so it seems like you're home, even when you're not.
"Alexa, light up the night"
The Outdoor Plug is compatible with Apple HomeKit (Siri), Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant devices (sold separately), so if you want your holiday lights to turn on, all you have to do is ask.
- durable plug provides two outlets that can be controlled together using single AC outlet
- outlets are not independently switchable
- offers remote control of connected lights and other outdoor devices with free Wemo mobile app
- no hub required, works with your existing Wi-Fi
- operates on 2.4 GHz band
- compact plug design shouldn't block other outlets
- compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control devices (sold separately)
- compatible with Apple HomeKit (Siri) and IFTTT
- IP44-rated for weather resistance
- operating temperature: 32°F to 104°F with 10% to 80% relative humidity
- manual power button on the front
- GFCI outlet is recommended for use
- electrical specifications: 120V/15A/60Hz
- 7" power cord
- 3-11/16"W x 1-11/16"H x 3-3/4"D
- weight: 8.96 oz.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WSP090
What's in the box:
- Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug with attached 7" plug
- Setup Guide
- FCC Compliance Statement
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Belkin Wemo WiFi Smart Outdoor Plug
Overview: The Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug (WSP090) lets you turn on your outdoor lights or holiday decorations using your smartphone or voice commands. It has two weather-resistant AC outlets, a right-angle 3-pronged plug, and a 7" cord. Internally, it has a Wi-Fi interface that works without the need for a hub. Within your Wemo Smart Home system, you can set automatic schedules for any devices that are plugged into the Smart Outdoor Plug, or instantly turn them on or off from anywhere through the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet. You can also control the Wemo Smart Outdoor Plug hands-free with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Hey Google.
Weather-resistant Design: The Smart Outdoor Plug has an IP44 rating, meaning that it is splash-proof in all directions. It is designed to be plugged into an outdoor outlet with its short cord hanging below. The two outlets face downward under the widest portion of the device. The body tapers outward to allow any water to run off. Attached rubber covers are provided for any outlets that are not in use. In addition, the Outdoor Plug has a keyhole mounting slot for hanging the unit just below the outdoor wall outlet.
Wemo Collection: The Wemo Smart Outdoor Plug is part of Belkin's Wemo home automation system. The Wemo collection of products are designed to work together via the free Wemo App so that you control and monitor as much or as little of your home as you like. You can easily add additional Wemo products including Smart Switches, Smart Dimmers, and Smart Plugs (all sold separately) at any time to any room to control and monitor multiple devices or appliances. The number of Wemo products you can control depends on the number of devices your wireless router can support.
Network Requirements: Wemo operates via your home's wireless network over Wi-Fi and is compatible with 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz wireless networks. It also supports WPA, WPA2, and WEP securities. The wireless range of the Wemo home automation system will be dependent on your home's wireless network, but can reach up to 300'. The Wemo system can be controlled inside or outside of the home.
- Inside The Home: Wemo uses your home network to create its own "Wemo network". Using the free Wemo app on your Apple iOS/Android device, you can control your Wemo system from anywhere in your home. You can easily control multiple Wemo units from one device or different mobile devices running the Wemo app.
- Outside The Home: Remote Access is automatically enabled when you set up system Wemo system, as long as the network you are using has an Internet connection. With remote access enabled, you can control the Wemo system from anywhere your iOS or Android device has an Internet connection. This includes other Wi-Fi networks or your 3G/4G mobile connection. When the Wemo App is launched outside your home, the App contacts the Belkin cloud, the cloud redirects the phone's request to the appropriate Wemo unit(s), and then you can see and control all of your Wemo devices.
Note: Internet connection issues will not affect rules and schedules that are stored on the Wemo; it will only affect remote access from your smartphone or tablet. Meaning, the rules & schedules that you have set up will still function in your local network. However, if your home's wireless network is down, the Wemo's preconfigured rules & schedules will not function.
Wemo App (for Apple iOS & Android): Download the free Wemo App (from the Apple App Store or Google Play) onto your Apple iOS (12.0 or later) or Android (5.1 and up) device to setup the Wemo Smart Outdoor Plug and control any electronic device which is plugged into the Wemo system. From the app, you can manage all your Wemo devices, as well as set rules and schedules:
- Management: You are able to view all of your Wemo device and manage them from the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet device. Once you have selected a Wemo device, you can manually turn its connected appliance or electronic device On or Off.
- Rules & Schedules: The Wemo app allows you to create and manage Rules & Schedules for your Wemo devices and connected appliances or electronic devices. There are a variety of different types of Rules & Schedules to choose from.
- Turn Off/Off: You can select a particular time for an appliance or electronic device to turn On and Off.
- Turn On Until: This allows you to turn your devices On and Off according to your schedule.
- Sunrise/Sunset: You can create Sunrise and Sunset times for your area, so that you can set multiple devices to turn On or Off at these selected times everyday.
- Turn On/Off Motion: Setup your Wemo system's appliances and electronic devices to turn On/Off based on the input received from a Wemo Motion Sensor. You can select a device to Turn On or Turn Off with or without motion for a pre-determined amount of time.
- Away Mode: Away Mode turns your Wemo devices On and Off at different times to appear as if you are at home. Wemo devices will turn On and Off randomly, staying on at least 30 minutes each time, for the duration of the rule.
Note: If you want to set up another Wemo automation system in a second home with remote access, you will need to set it up with a different mobile device aside from the one you used to set up the Wemo system in your first home. For example, if you used your iPhone to set up the Wemo devices in your home, you would need to use another mobile device, like your iPad or Android smartphone/tablet to set up the second Wemo system in your other home.
IFTTT: If This Then That (IFTTT) is a service that allows you to combine different online services together. By integrating Wemo with IFTTT, Wemo can be triggered by a variety of online services including, email, weather, phone calls, Twitter, Facebook, and many more. Examples of using Wemo and IFTTT:
- Email Notification: When you receive an email, the lamp connected to your Wemo switch turns On to notify you of the email so you will not miss important emails while doing other things.
- Daily Reminders: Use Wemo and IFTTT to remind your of certain things. For example, you can place the Wemo Motion Sensor device next to your cat's litter box. When triggered, you will receive an e-mail informing you that the box needs to be cleaned.
- Activity In Your Home: You can setup the system so that every time the Wemo Motion Sensor is triggered, it will create an event in Google Calendar so you can see a record of activity in your home.
- Door Monitor: You can setup your Wemo system so that when the Motion Sensor next to a door is triggered, you will receive a text message alert informing you of a door opening.
- Auto Facebook Status: You can inform you Facebook friends with your activities through a status update that will be automatically posted once you trigger the Wemo Motion Sensor. For example, placing the motion sensor near the kitchen will send an update that can inform your online friends about your recent activities in the kitchen (e.g. cooking or baking).
- Auto Twitter Updates: You can use Wemo and IFTTT to help you send updates to your followers on Twitter. For example, placing the Wemo Power Switch next to a radio can prompt an update to your followers that you're currently listening to interesting tunes on the radio when its powered on.